Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wasn't saying that was you in the pic - just that i was reminded if it.

oh I know I was joking ;)

Mini babybel gouda in the Jersey pocket now you're talking! The joy of reaching back for one of those! Probably not that useful as a fuel, but yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,498 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any thoughts on Friday morning? Frosty or what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just looked out the window - visible frost on the car, but the roads are dry, which is a key consideration. no standing water to freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Grim this morning, cold & snow falling but not landing so bailed on my 10min commute for the warmth of the car.

2 x 3 hr spins on a roadbike this weekend not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Roads seem ok out around Dublin 15 dry not too much frost on car this morning but a spin tomorrow maybe in doubt .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Nope.....just nope.....back to zwift for me .........again....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was going to head out for an hour or two yesterday, but as I had to drive to the shop first, I hit several patches of black ice and so decided to put it off. Today will just be snowball fights and snowman building with the kids...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's snowing right now. In going to frighten my new car with my loud turbo trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just had a long walk around Dublin 8 area this morning. Only had a few flakes of snow and that doesn’t include some of the locals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Extremely wished I wimped out today on my 5k circuit:

Cleared up after about 45 mins, I had turned for home but thought fcuk it I'm out I may as well keep going.

The peak of my cap froze :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice!

It's that kind of vista that makes me suddenly anxious about segregated cycle tracks with those 10cm concrete curbs. Invisible in this kind of weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by the time we have enough snow to obscure a 10cm kerb, the country has shut down anyway, so not something i'd worry too much about.
    at least your landing would have a little cushioning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You'd be surprised. The kerbs at Goatstown disappeared quickly in that brief freak snowfall we had a few weeks ago, and it was only a few mm.

just don't be out on your bike at 11am on monday morning. it's going to be biblical.

541442.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that must have been a glitch, Ive been refreshing that over the morning, nothing like that, there might be a window around 3pm though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

that's for arran quay, and still showing it for me. dublin airport is similar too. but it must be a glitch, there's no way they can tell with that much precision 48 hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Maybe its always sunny in Sandymount :D , just hoping that window opens at 3pm

541445.JPG

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I was out for a run earlier and saw one lone sole out for a cycle. He looked as miserable as I felt.

Fair ****s to any of ye cycling in that.

I’ll wait for nicer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Did 35k this morning. It was pretty miserable alright, but the wind was not as bad as I was expecting. 35k was plenty though as I was beginning to get cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Did 35k this morning. It was pretty miserable alright, but the wind was not as bad as I was expecting. 35k was plenty though as I was beginning to get cold.

I did a 7k run and I couldn’t feel my hands by the end of it. And that’s with decent gloves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Completely wiped out this morning, opened the window a tiny bit to check temperature - the gales lashed the rain in, closed window and got back into bed.

What app/site are ye using for the weather MB and Silverharp?
    I haven't found a reliable predictor yet.

the screenshots above are just from the met eireann website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

I find YR.no to be the most reliable

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

C3PO wrote: »
    I find YR.no to be the most reliable
    Do other agencies not get their ROI data from Met Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Do other agencies not get their ROI data from Met Eireann?

I have to imagine they don't, there can be such a differing them all.
    I personally have found in the last 18 months or so, that the forecasts have not been accurate at all. There was a period of maybe 10 years before that, that they were quite accurate.

Maybe it's just me???¿¿¿

they all have access to the same data, really; i presume what can be different is the computer modelling which predicts the outcome of that data.

i think the mistake met eireann make is their predictions are way too specific. for example, just checking the prediction for dublin airport, they're predicting 2.2mm of rain for the hour at midnight monday night/tuesday morning. it's bananas to make a prediction that specific; the '50% chance of light rain' prediction is more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Yes, they all access the same data but run different programmes to process it. The meteorologists then add their interpretation. A few years ago I monitored the performance of Met Éireann, YR, Predict Wind and Windguru. I was yacht racing in Howth every Tuesday and the wind direction and strength was critical in deciding on crew numbers, sail choice and tactics.
    YR turned out to be the most accurate over three months but the following year they seemed to have gone off the boil. Met Éireann generally overestimated the wind strength but their forecast covered half the Irish Sea. Since then they introduced more localised forecasts and I find combining those with the YR ones gives the best predictions.

i suspect met eireann may be more conservative precisely because they're a statutory body too. if YR get it wrong, they probably shrug their shoulders and move on. but met eireann supply the 'official' forecasts for shipping, etc., and to the national emergency co-ordination centre, so are often much more tentative and slow to move than sources less anchored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

i suspect met eireann may be more conservative precisely because they're a statutory body too. if YR get it wrong, they probably shrug their shoulders and move on. but met eireann supply the 'official' forecasts for shipping, etc., and to the national emergency co-ordination centre, so are often much more tentative and slow to move than sources less anchored.

What do you think yr.no is?

It gets its data from the Norwegian met office

It basically is the Norwegian met office and the Norwegian national broadcasters website

It's what man apps use as their datsource as they are fairly open in the access to it

• Advertisement

cheers, i hadn't realised that.

Advertisement