Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭dahat

5km radius is actually reasonable once half of it isn’t in the sea like a few round here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

dahat wrote: »
    5km radius is actually reasonable once half of it isn’t in the sea like a few round here.

Half of mine is in the sea, but it's ok.
    I can jump in it for recovery :D
    Can't work up the motivation to turbo this eve. Damn lack of rolling! I did do a gym session this lunchtime though so I'll be stiff as a board tomorrow and have to turbo/ long lunch fake commute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Switched to the MTB to get to work, horrible slow going, then I was in work for 4 hours when a close contact notice came telling me to leave site immediately and work from home for the rest of the week, fell on my arse walking the bike out the gates of the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Half ten and it's -3 out. Even where the sun is hitting the car it's not started to defrost. Don't think I'll be out on the bike today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

-3 around dublin 15 a bit of sun but too many shaded spots at the moment to risk it I think .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Yeah still -3° here at the foot of the Dublin mountains, clearly that direction off limits, out by bypass will be busy with traffic very soon. 5km loops not as handy up here for sure :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just -3°?
    It is -6° here in Leixlip. Havent been out for a spin since Dec 29th :( - might go for a run shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just -3°?
    It is -6° here in Leixlip. Havent been out for a spin since Dec 29th :( - might go for a run shortly

I walked to the coffee shop at the end of my street with the dog, nearly went over twice so mind yourself if you do decide to loose all the respect of this forum and go out running.

(I run too :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Itching to get back up to the Park again but then saw this in this morning's Irish Times:
    "Prof Deasy said the public needed to reduce regular activity that may put them at risk so hospitals can cope with the surge in critical care treatment required to manage emergency coronavirus cases and urgent cancer care.
    'We are still seeing people falling off ladders and bicycles, and slipping on ice so we need people to be very mindfull' he said, warning that healthcare services were compromised "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Itching to get back up to the Park again but then saw this in this morning's Irish Times:
    "Prof Deasy said the public needed to reduce regular activity that may put them at risk so hospitals can cope with the surge in critical care treatment required to manage emergency coronavirus cases and urgent cancer care.
    'We are still seeing people falling off ladders and bicycles, and slipping on ice so we need people to be very mindfull' he said, warning that healthcare services were compromised "

Hospital would be the last place we should risk visiting at the moment especially the hotspots like Beaumont and St Vincent's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

After doing warm ups my wife says to me that I shouldn't go out because of the hospital pressures and also then I can't tell my son he can't go out for a run later.
    She's right but i cant help feel like I'm grounded now :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

billyhead wrote: »
    Hospital would be the last place we should risk visiting at the moment especially the hotspots like Beaumont and St Vincent's.
    i know someone who had emergency surgery in beaumont a couple of weeks ago, who was alerted he'd tested positive within hours of getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just -3°?
    It is -6° here in Leixlip.
    My car indicated -5 at Blake's Cross at around 6.30 this morning on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd bet a fiver that he's still seeing people arriving in hospitals from car crashes, but he wouldn't dream of telling people to stop driving or reduce driving.

There is a health benefit in people staying fit and healthy.

it's far easier to fall off a bike in the ice than it is to injure yourself in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'd bet a fiver that he's still seeing people arriving in hospitals from car crashes, but he wouldn't dream of telling people to stop driving or reduce driving.

There is a health benefit in people staying fit and healthy.

'he' has, everyone is being asked to avoid non essential journeys regardless of the type of transport.

Honestly anyone trying to turn this into a car vs. Bike thing needs to take a serious look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

After doing warm ups my wife says to me that I shouldn't go out because of the hospital pressures and also then I can't tell my son he can't go out for a run later.
    She's right but i cant help feel like I'm grounded now :(

Not to derail the thread into running but I went to a local park yesterday, the greens where fine for running on but paths getting there were dodgy. If you live near a green then worth a look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I went to the park. Ice tyres on front and land cruiser on back. Stayed off road for most. Tracks were frozen solid..like riding on compacted gravel to be honest.

It was incredibly slow but thoroughly enjoyable.

Excepting the other cx guy I saw and a few mountain bikes I do think a few out there were foolhardy as there were some big patches of ice about the place

My car indicated -5 at Blake's Cross at around 6.30 this morning on the way to work.

My garmin said -5 and never went above -3.

Klimatt says my cycle felt like -7.

I’m praying tomorrow temps allow the ice to thaw and make a road spin safe, gone cuckoo from the turbo.

• Advertisement

Didn't even contemplate the bike, the main roads looked ok but getting out of the estate would not have been fun.

Off topic slightly but the amount of people I've seen out walking with inappropriate shoes on is crazy. I was as sure footed as a goat in comparison with my work boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

MTB tyres stuck in Brexit so went running instead. Only saw one hero out on a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would have to advise caution at this time have to consider hospital situation much as I like cycling it's not the end of the world to miss out on a spin .weather should improve soon and then back to normal.

dahat wrote: »
    I’m praying tomorrow temps allow the ice to thaw and make a road spin safe, gone cuckoo from the turbo.

As posted in another thread, might take more than just tomorrow's temps. As the ice melts it cools the air so it can be very slow, particularly in shaded back roads

Weepsie wrote: »
    As posted in another thread, might take more than just tomorrow's temps. As the ice melts it cools the air so it can be very slow, particularly in shaded back roads

Temps locally only plus 1-2 tomorrow so while hoping it may have to wait.

One more long turbo won’t hurt plus this means a nice walk in the afternoon with the mrs, everyone’s a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..Off topic slightly but the amount of people I've seen out walking with inappropriate shoes on is crazy. I was as sure footed as a goat in comparison with my work boots.
    I'm one of those idiots - wearing leather soles at work and sliding around the place as I go about my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

met has 6C for Enniskerry tomorrow by noon, should be a big improvement on today

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

My decking, albeit not in the sun, is still white with frost from last night. Dublin City centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

silverharp wrote: »
    met has 6C for Enniskerry tomorrow by noon, should be a big improvement on today

I was around Enniskerry today (took the MTB) - main roads were generally fine but backroads very dodgy! Saw one chap on a road bike up around the Leadmines .... he fell once while I was watching and I’d guess a few more times too! Crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Anybody out in Dublin cc and what is like? Seems much better then yesterday.

Advertisement