Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I think the best weather widget is meteogram if you have Android if you look in the settings it has is either, had a 48hr table

Met.no

Noaa (only in the us)

Or dark sky as options (paid only)

I think dark sky is a popular one on Apple

Over 48hours in the likes of Ireland where the ocean condition is so variable is a lottery

And on the day a rain map app is the best option really as it's pretty much exactly how it is right now, not just a forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 28,637 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

they all have access to the same data, really; i presume what can be different is the computer modelling which predicts the outcome of that data.

i think the mistake met eireann make is their predictions are way too specific. for example, just checking the prediction for dublin airport, they're predicting 2.2mm of rain for the hour at midnight monday night/tuesday morning. it's bananas to make a prediction that specific; the '50% chance of light rain' prediction is more sensible.

I find the Accuweather Minutecast scarily accurate for telling me exactly when rain is due to stop. I've gone to get changed based on their ' rain stopping in ten minutes' and it has worked out well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I find Met tends to be overly negative and obviously if it says its going to rain at 3pm in 2 days time for 2 hours, that wont happen. Maybe its living in Dublin and bad weather is more likely to burn out quicker than forecast. Pretty much all week though they had this weekend as a write off so it gets the broad stroke stuff generally right

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I find the Accuweather Minutecast scarily accurate for telling me exactly when rain is due to stop. I've gone to get changed based on their ' rain stopping in ten minutes' and it has worked out well for me.

All any of them do is predict when the rain is over your location

I mean at 10 mins out it's not even a forecast anymore

If the wind stays fairly constant 24 and 48hour forecasts are pretty accurate with the start and end of rain

The say wider the bands of weather also the more accurate is, small pockets of rain can easily miss your location, whereas this weekends rain, well it ain't gonna miss you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as above, if i'm heading out on the bike within the next couple of hours, it's not the weather forecast i look at, it's the rainfall radar.

possibly met eireann, instead of saying '60% chance of 5mm of rain at X o'clock' simply operate a model that if it's greater than 50% chance, they just say it will rain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i was out in the car about an hour ago and the rain is a little bit al dente this morning. did pass a couple of hardy souls out on their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Maybe less meteorology and some inspiration from Kelly. Assuming one is using full mudguards cycling in rain like this morning is no big deal. My socks were still dry after 3 hrs.

Kelly “I check the weather, I put on my gear, I go out and do my spin, then when I’m back do I decide if it was too wet or not”

'You seem to like these conditions Sean?' 'I neither like or hate them, it's just everyone else hates them'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I bottled it this morning, have a foster dog here at the moment so just went down to the park with her, brought her in the car too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭secman

Going to unwimp and head out shortly, spoke to a few lads, going on assumption its never as bad as it looks :) trying out neoprene gloves and overshoes, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Did 32k this morning... it was going nicely until the 25k Mark when I rode through some water and hit a pothole! Rear tyre went down immediately. Given the weather conditions I decided not to even try and change the tube and just rode home. It was cold and wet. Conti 5000’s are hard enough to remove/fit when your warm and dry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

secman wrote: »
    Going to unwimp and head out shortly, spoke to a few lads, going on assumption its never as bad as it looks :) trying out neoprene gloves and overshoes, fingers crossed.

I’m just back from few loops Dublin CC and Phoenix park.

It’s just wet out here, not as cold. Once you’re geared up and don’t mind getting the bike mucky you be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looked out this morning and it was zero degrees sleeting and the sciatica has been playing up all week. looking out now might head out for an hour

Eh hello, this thread is for us wimps :pac:

Eh hello, this thread is for us wimps :pac:

Well in fairness, in my post, I never actually said I was on my bike!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hour on the turbo today, just wasn't in the humour of getting drenched. Got drenched anyway, effing turbo! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

40kms on the MTB on local backroads ... absolutely miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah sign me up today. Miserable. Thought about a quick spin about an hour ago but suddenly netflix is looking more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Went out to the phoenix park this morning for some cx. Miserable morning but once you have the right gloves and overshoes it's fine.

In my opinion the real hard-core people on a morning like that are the ones running around the phoenix park both on and off road.
    Takes real determination to get out of a warm car in a t-shirt shorts and a pair of runners, to go for a run in that weather. Bike is easy compared to that.
    Chapeau or whatever the running equivalent is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭secman

I wimped out of the wimp list....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

Yes, they all access the same data but run different programmes to process it. The meteorologists then add their interpretation. A few years ago I monitored the performance of Met Éireann, YR, Predict Wind and Windguru. I was yacht racing in Howth every Tuesday and the wind direction and strength was critical in deciding on crew numbers, sail choice and tactics.
    YR turned out to be the most accurate over three months but the following year they seemed to have gone off the boil. Met Éireann generally overestimated the wind strength but their forecast covered half the Irish Sea. Since then they introduced more localised forecasts and I find combining those with the YR ones gives the best predictions.

I've been using forecast data for work for a while now, and in particular data from the Norwegian MET (data source for YR). I've found them to be quite accurate, but one thing to be aware of is that they only update forecasts for non-Nordic locations twice a day (08:00 and 20:00 or thereabouts) - the Nordic region is updated hourly. Met Eireann do likewise here. The both tie in to the ECMWF for satellite data, but ME also have the radar data from Dublin and Shannon, and the Norwegians similar - whether all that is in the openly shared datasets, I'm not 100% sure.

I haven't done a close comparison of the two in a while, though I do need to revisit it sometime in the next few months

• Advertisement

Weather warning as Siberian winds set to bring ‘significant’ snow
    East of the country likely to see ice and snow for at least five days as temperatures plunge
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/weather-warning-as-siberian-winds-set-to-bring-significant-snow-1.4475268

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Weather warning as Siberian winds set to bring ‘significant’ snow
    East of the country likely to see ice and snow for at least five days as temperatures plunge
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/weather-warning-as-siberian-winds-set-to-bring-significant-snow-1.4475268

I've not trained on the road since Jnauary17th so mad eplans for for law breaking activity this weekend for one day at least.

Guess that's not happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ever reliable Met seem to have Sat as some kind of showery day and Sunday looks like a dry cycling day, but cool at 4C and strongish winds

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

they seem to be quite conservative about predicting really bad weather - they wait until they're sure it's going to turn out that way.
    i remember with the lead up to ophelia - which was predicted from about two weeks out - the guys on the weather forum here were going mad that met eireann were not mirroring their predictions. of course, people in met eireann know well about the weather forum; joanna donnelly gave the camera a wink when they finally included it on the telly forecast, and immediately tweeted afterwards 'that was for boards'.

they seem to be quite conservative about predicting really bad weather - they wait until they're sure it's going to turn out that way.
    i remember with the lead up to ophelia - which was predicted from about two weeks out - the guys on the weather forum here were going mad that met eireann were not mirroring their predictions. of course, people in met eireann know well about the weather forum; joanna donnelly gave the camera a wink when they finally included it on the telly forecast, and immediately tweeted afterwards 'that was for boards'.

Boards is monitored by a lot of companies, when I worked for an energy company the compliance people searched it every day. I only found out when they kicked up a stink about boards being added to the list of sites that were blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For accurate weather I use aviation terminal area forecasts (TAF) and meteorological aerodrome reports (METAR) for both Dublin Airport and Casement Aerodrome - I live in Dublin so these are my closest airports. I find them quite accurate and reliable. They are easily viewed using the Aeroweather app. The reports and forecasts are in a coded format but if you're not familiar with the coding the app decodes them with a simple tap.

EDIT: Max forecast is 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fup this shyttee fuppin weather :(:(. Trend the last while seems to be dry overnight and rain all day:mad:. Had long spin plans today but it looks manky out :(:(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had hoped to do a long spin myself - a 100km spin today that I had originally planned for yesterday.
    Work up this morning with what I think is plantar fasciitis - a bitch of a pain in my right heel from wearing slippers whilst working at home all week. Can barely walk never mind anything else. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've all the good raingear in the world, I just hate cleaning my bike.

Lower headset bearing seems particularly prone to suffering in the ****e weather

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've all the good raingear in the world, I just hate cleaning my bike.

Lower headset bearing seems particularly prone to suffering in the ****e weather

I’m the same. I don’t mind cycling in the cold or wet and getting soaked. Can’t stand getting my bike dirty though

Advertisement