Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

1 loop of park. Definitely felt colder than yesterday, but I was wearing a not quite as good jacket and baselayer combo. Had toe covers and shoecovers and feet felt colder too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Black ice on most of the back roads, club mate posted he came off twice this morning, so dumb turbo in the garage for me today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

5km limit currently in place, folks - if you want to cycle outside that, that's on you, but please don't come posting about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

cletus wrote: »
    I have temporarily wimped out, due to a combination of icy roads, and last night's feed of Guinness.

I shall reassess the situation in few hours

Having been out in the car to do the weekly shopping, I have opted for full wimp mode, and lit the fire.

Now to check how many cans of Guinness are left

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Tomorrow morning on the East Coast should be fine.

• Advertisement

5km limit currently in place, folks - if you want to cycle outside that, that's on you, but please don't come posting about it here.

Not just the 5km limit. Don't leave the county. A few posters are routinely and other folk I know are routinely just doing as they please. Anyway, offtopic.

East coast is to be fine tomorrow, but wet so. I'd prefer a dry icy kind of day within my current restrictions to a wet miserable one.

I'm back in work tomorrow too I think (noone has emailed me to say otherwise), so I've to go in at the very least to see what the actual plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The frost from last night never thawed today and its freezing again now, always means horrible conditions for running or cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Just back from a spin, 3km on regional roads each way to reach woods(where there's loads of gravel) and 1km uphill on a backroad, and most backroads I came close to looked unrideable in anything other than ice tyres.

For the weather anoraks this is great
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146176

Rained here while I was out for a walk a little while ago, there are still lethal patches of black ice mainly in estates but on paths along main roads too which had dangerous looking patches on them in a handful of places I could see. Gritter passed me but I still wouldn't trust the road enough to put my bike on it.

It's supposed to be 4-5 degree's in Dublin in the morning. Surely that means frost and ice free?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not just the 5km limit. Don't leave the county. A few posters are routinely and other folk I know are routinely just doing as they please. Anyway, offtopic.
    Is the stay in your county when exercising rule in place currently? I had thought that level 5 is in addition to level 4 (which is in addition to level 3, etc.) but double checking on a few sites, I can't see it...
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/066ce-ireland-placed-on-full-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/#
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#domestic-travel-restrictions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not aware that the county restriction is still in place. i think the 5km one is restrictive enough that the county restriction is not considered necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

i'm not aware that the county restriction is still in place. i think the 5km one is restrictive enough that the county restriction is not considered necessary.

I could be wrong but I believe that both 5km and county restrictions are currently in place?

Fair enough, however, those who don't care about sticking to the 5km probably ignored the previous county ones too.

C3PO wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I believe that both 5km and county restrictions are currently in place?
    Travel restrictions

While Ireland is at Level 5, you should not leave your house, except for exercise within 5 km of your home, unless you have a reasonable excuse.

The following list gives examples of reasonable excuses for leaving your home, as set out in Statutory Instrument 560 of 2020 (pdf):

Traveling to work if you cannot work from home
    Providing care to a vulnerable person or attending to other vital family matters
    Farming and other agricultural activities
    Going to school or bringing your child to school
    Going to college where it is necessary to attend in person
    Accessing childcare services
    Travelling to visit your children as part of an access arrangement, or travelling to allow access to children
    Attending a medical or dental appointment, or going to a medical or dental appointment with a vulnerable person or someone you live with
    Going to another person’s house if you are in a support bubble with them
    Seeking essential medical assistance for yourself, someone you live with or for a vulnerable person
    Donating blood
    Going to the vet
    Going to a wedding or funeral
    Going to court, obeying your bail instructions, attending court offices to initiate emergency legal proceedings
    Moving accommodation where it is necessary
    Travel to the airport or port to leave Ireland if you normally live in another country
    Fleeing domestic abuse or escaping danger

A Garda can give you a fixed charge notice of €100 for travelling without a reasonable excuse.
    from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/public_health_measures_for_covid19.html

doesn't seem to mention county restrictions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm back up up in the city now I have no excuse for not going out :(
    PreCovid I commuted rain, hail shine or snow. 40k total daily commute. Training on top of that.
    I won't cycle in icy conditions, it's not worth the risk physically or mentally. Not enjoyable either.

In covid times I kept going well throughout lockdown 1, raced away after that, did ok in lockdown 2, totally lacking motivation in lockdown 3, fcuk all base miles in the tank this winter. Really hoping racing doesn't start till late summer at least :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Fair enough, however, those who don't care about sticking to the 5km probably ignored the previous county ones too.
    Living in Leixlip, I have the borders with both Dublin and Meath within my 2km limit never mind 5km. It will make a difference to me when I head out next even though I'll abide by the distance rule (waiting on ice & frost to go first)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

2km if it comes back in is a real bummer and makes any meaniful spin a lot harder of course live very close to dublin and kildare border in clonee a few roads around confey can make up a fair enough loop within 5km but 2km is pretty useless .

we were damn lucky with the original 2km lockdown as it was unseasonably good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

billyhead wrote: »
    It's supposed to be 4-5 degree's in Dublin in the morning. Surely that means frost and ice free?

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Have a look there before you go it'll give you an idea of local "ground" temperatures(although there was a 5 degree swing between Dungarvan/Kilmactomas temperatures and Clonmel temps at 3pm today despite being only 40km apart)

Depending on local conditions ground temperature can be a little under air temperatures.

Also remember in certain locations the thaw can be slow to come (north facing, overhanging trees etc) and the latent heat of ice can can slow the transition to water even when air is above freezing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭JMcL

Had been tempted by a spin this morning, but it was absolutely baltic. With the 5km limit my two main routes out of Tramore would have been sheets of ice as both have water constantly flowing down the carraigeway from poor drainage. Put the kettle on instead and went for a glorious scramble over the coast with the kids instead after lunch.

I can potentially see me taking to the turbo for the next while - I'm sick to the teeth of the route options available to me after the previous lockfowns, plus last time out they were riddled with the drivers who couldn't bring themselves to spin some line to the guards face at the checkpoint on the main route

Seems noticeably milder in the east tonight. Not freezing yet but ffs there are still patches of back ice out there while I had the dog out for his sniff around and pre-bed business. I'd say take it it handy in the above mentioned places by Large bottle in the morning just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Count me in again this morning :( cars and everything above about 6 inches was thawed out around 7am but the ground was lethal. I went for a walk instead and that was tough. It snowed then hailed and lastly rained while I was out and all that froze when it hit the ground making conditions atrocious there's there's no way cycling was possible unless on a trike!!

Just back from a 58km spin in NCD and the roads are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

Walked outside this morning. Fell on my arse. Bike staying put today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭tnegun

Pretty much the same here was too depressed to post about it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you'd be even more depressed in hospital

now i have the theme to 'only when i laugh' stuck in my head.

The Weather is not looking great for the rest of the week. Turbo trainer if is. The hospital would be somewhere to avoid at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

looks like 5km will stay according to Michael Martin on Radio On just now , hopefully.

Advertisement