Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview & thread: FRA vs IRE (Sat Feb 3, 1645)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Guess you can't argue with stats.

hthth.png

Well I mean you can. There's absolutely no way we should have needed an 80th minute drop goal to win a game against a French side in disarray who were incapable of getting out of their own half or holding on to possession. 68% possession and 0 line breaks says a lot.

But the glorious manner of the victory offsets that a bit. If he hadn't been quite as toothless as we were then we wouldn't have seen the 40 phases!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Well I mean you can. There's absolutely no way we should have needed an 80th minute drop goal to win a game against a French side in disarray who were incapable of getting out of their own half or holding on to possession. 68% possession and 0 line breaks says a lot.

But the glorious manner of the victory offsets that a bit. If he hadn't been quite as toothless as we were then we wouldn't have seen the 40 phases!

Stockdale was poor under the high ball and in defense. Earlsie wasn't great either.
    Those two could be facing the axe. Then again who'd replace them?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No line breaks for so much possession is an indictment on the team, and by proxy the coaching.

Structure is all and good, and got us the win, but with so much possession and territory we can and should afford to take risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Proper heart in mouth stuff! Brilliant drop goal to finish it off.
    fKfWktP.jpg

coco0981 wrote: »
    Was anyone else worried about the way James Ryan carried the ball into contact? Very low leading with his head, kept thinking he was going to take a big shot direct to his head

He was playing the way he was coached, go incredibly low to make sure you can deliver the ball back. He was being used as a ball recycle'er in bad traffic or when we had lost gainline on the previous carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mad things can happen when we play France in Paris.

As I was saying..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Stockdale was poor under the high ball and in defense. Earlsie wasn't great either.
    Those two could be facing the axe. Then again who'd replace them?

Earls facing the axe? Hardly

Kiith wrote: »
    Apparently it was the match doctor that called them HIA, rather then the French doctor. They were still utterly ridiculous calls, but change the narrative slightly. (or so i read...could be utter bollox).

Either way, **** yeah we won!! :D

The player lay on the ground clutching his head. Let go and was about to sit up when play got near then lay back clutching his head. The match ref has no other option if someone is holding their head lying on the ground.

I want to see it back again as I want to be certain before I accuse anyone but it absolutely reeks at first glance. Will see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

More character than creativity on display today. Let’s hope it was just the weather. The French HIA assessments are already getting attention.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/controversy-paris-doubt-cast-frances-use-hia-protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The player lay on the ground clutching his head. Let go and was about to sit up when play got near then lay back clutching his head. The match ref has no other option if someone is holding their head lying on the ground.

I want to see it back again as I want to be certain before I accuse anyone but it absolutely reeks at first glance. Will see how it plays out.
    From what I remember he had a hand at his face, the other down at his knee I think. The way a lot of people do in that "ah the ****ing pain of my knee" way. He wasnt holding his head in hands in the way you do if you get a knock on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

By about phase 33 I knew I was watching easily the finest rugby of the day (Wales v Scotland was poor, like from a sub-division with one just a lot worse than the other). I also knew we would still lose, gallantly, having been just the better team almost all match & then... the legend that is Jonny is confirmed for all to see, long live the Legend.

He scored the DG into the end I was sitting.

Thought Earlsy had a good match myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Rugbyf565 wrote: »
    Sexton was incredible today, great composure, bravery, in Defense and attack. Belief. Everything you want from a player, immense respect. Earls too must be massively credited for that kick chase in the lead up to that try. Dan Leavy worked like a tireless dog at the end too huge effort.

Yera I don't know 'bout that. Ireland were in the French 22 several times camped but up against a brick wall and sexton seemed fixated on try scoring. Should have gone for several drop kicks. We got turned over by aggressive powerful energetic brick wall and off down the other end of field for 2 penalties. That's minus 6 points from camping in their 22. Too many bad judgement calls in attack .
    Other wise they were damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

Overall happy. Regardless of circumstances winning in Paris is never easy and should be celebrated. 60th to 70th minute nearly cost us but I was happy to see them trust in the systems and a world class OH to get us out of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Re the second "HIA" it was the fourth official that spoke to Owens. After the French player went to ground having obviously jarred his knee, he was immobile and put his hand to his head (in pain). Owens saw this and presumed it was a knock to the head and indicated such. France saw this and copped on that they could send Machenaud back on if it was a HIA. The fourth official then communicated to Owens that it was a HIA because that is what the French must have told the doctor.

With regards to the game, France played above themselves and got away with murder at the ruck on occasion. The momentum swing when Furlong got ripped was the key. A score then for Ireland and France were gone. I don't think the TV conveyed how bad the conditions were and not very conducive to running rugby.

The French try was tragic. Poor kick by Kearney not finding the crowd and preventing the quick tap as French tails were up. Only Murray chased. Kearney (again) bit in when he should have trusted Aki and then Stockdale with an impression of a statue when a more experienced wing would have made the tackle on Thomas.

Then Jonny Sexton. GOAT. How many times did he touch the ball in those 40 phases?! He had cramped up twice earlier. Shout out to Leavy, Henderson, Aki and Earls who really made crucial yards in the build up.

Not great all game:
    Best (...)
    Henshaw
    Stockdale
    Stander
    POM

Thought James Ryan put in a really good shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Do we need to look at our back row? Are they adding much to our attacking game at all? Would Stander, Leavy and Murphy be a better option? POM was better today than Stander, but Stander does the real dog fight blindside stuff well. What we need is a good link man (Leavy) and a good 8 too. I think Murphy would work better than Conan. POM on the bench. At the moment we don’t have much in the way of effective and/or dynamic carriers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

440589.JPG

Passes - Runs - Metres Run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Thought all week that we'd have a tough time getting a win and so it turned out!

That last play from the 22 onwards was masterful and will go down as Sexton's defining international moment, particularly if we go on to win the tournament.

Away wins in the Six Nations (Rome excluded) are like gold dust these days so we should be well set now and the shock of nearly throwing it all away should make sure there is no complaceancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    Do we need to look at our back row? Are they adding much to our attacking game at all? Would Stander, Leavy and Murphy be a better option? POM was better today than Stander, but Stander does the real dog fight blindside stuff well. What we need is a good link man (Leavy) and a good 8 too. I think Murphy would work better than Conan. POM on the bench. At the moment we don’t have much in the way of effective and/or dynamic carriers in there.

I thought Sander had a poor match, would prefer to drop him back to 6. I dont think he has had a good game at 8 for Ireland yet

Sander to 6, Leavy/Nordi at 7 and then Conan at 8.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I blame Tommy Tiernan for Owens performance, too many dodgey jokes.

Is it a case Ireland struggled to breakdown a strong defensive display because Joe was unable to analyse the opposition in advance, identifying a number of opportunities?

Big moment in game when we were +9 and turned over near try line. If we had scored from there, French may have downed tools. Instead they added 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Have to say I'm quite disappointed at the reaction to this result. We weren't great but we won. On the flip side France actually defended very well and made it hard for us to create much.

If you look at last seasons 6N results you'll see how hard it is to win away from home. If we discount the Italy home defeats, which we should because they're crap, you'll see there was only one away victory in the entire tournament. That was England beating Wales in Cardiff. Every other game went in favour of the home side. It's extremely difficult to win away, but we've done just that. The performance wasn't great, but we'll improve. We also won't play a highly motivated French side at home again this year.

Cheer up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pretty hard to generate line breaks off slow static ball, we just didn’t clear the rucks anywhere near effectively enough. The French may be in disarray, but they played Owens extremely effectively when it came to slowing our ball down. We got outmuscled and every time that happens we are going to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

molloyjh wrote: »

Our lineout wasn't the best today so I'd be wary of taking POM out of the equation in that respect especially if Ryan keeps Toner out of the team. Taking POM out just makes it weaker again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Nope. Very hard to prove

Jalibert has a PCL injury apparently

Which part of the brain is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought we were quite comfortable until France scored their try. Dominant may be a strong word but I feel that were were the better side at least. They didn't look like they knew how to break us down. Our defence was on top and didn't look like conceding kickable penalties. I'll have to watch again to see how we conceded that try, but my feeling at the time was that it was a bit of a fluke and went completely against the flow of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

How has Stockdale performed in defence for Ulster generally? He's had a few conspicuous missed tackles of late. Are they unrepresentative?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He scored the DG into the end I was sitting.

Thought Earlsy had a good match myself

Jaysus, were you at the game?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

.ak wrote: »
    Which part of the brain is that?

The knee. Its a 10 week recovery.

Joe says VDF out of next weeks game. Hopeful it wont be too serious if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Think I'd like to see sob and leavy accommodated in the backrow(in our no injuries first choice hypothetical team) I don't think pom was up to it today or really ever is at the breakdown or carrying or making big hits in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Our lineout wasn't the best today so I'd be wary of taking POM out of the equation in that respect especially if Ryan keeps Toner out of the team. Taking POM out just makes it weaker again.

We cant include a backrower just for the lineout. Conan is a good lineout operator and a far better carrier then POM and a much more rounder player then Stander IMO.

Stander, Leavy, Conan next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think the game could have done with Dillane’s athleticism, especially as Ryan and Henderson weren’t getting much change out of the defence.
    Leavy went very well when he came on, carried well and drive the French back repeatedly.

I don’t think joe will change much bar injuries anyway.

Sexton and Murray never controlled the game and that was a killer.

Owens was very poor, his standards have really slipped. He wasn’t interested in ensuring clean releases by the tacklers at all. Nothing much could be done for the HIA shenanigans though completely out of his hands.

That switch off for Kearney’s clearance kick was shocking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement