Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview & thread: FRA vs IRE (Sat Feb 3, 1645)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How Owens doesn't ping Vahamani (sp?) at 80:50ish is ridiculous. Stone cold penalty for lying offsides. Comical effort.

Think Conan is incredibly hard done by not to be starting ahead of Stander, who is profoundly one dimensional at present. I'd have him narrowly above vintage POC in terms of his ball carrying and link play at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

How Owens doesn't ping Vahamani (sp?) at 80:50ish is ridiculous. Stone cold penalty for lying offsides. Comical effort.

Nigel basically switched off his 'offside in the breakdown' radar for most of the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I was joking earlier but Corcoran was actually commentating :pac:

https://twitter.com/RTErugby/status/959864338763993089

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just catching up on this thread, and I've a few points. Going to leave it at 10, which seems appropriate.

1. First and foremost, Sexton is a god amongst men. He's been legitimately world class for, what, 6/7 seasons now?

2. At this level, the margins really are incredibly small.

3. Having said that, the game should've been out of sight sooner. At 3-12, ~55 mins, we should've scored from 2 passages / incidents: 1) Sexton's missed penalty and 2) Furlong getting stripped when we were inside their 22. Score from either of those, and I think we see the game out with relative ease.

4. James Ryan, Bundee and Leavy when he came on seemed to consistently get over the gainline and get through an amount of work. Really impressed considering their relative inexperience.

5. Stockdale looked knackered after 60 minutes. If Conway had been on the bench, I would've expected him on at this point.

6. Is it just me, or do France always seem to save their best performance of the tournament for us?? If they put in that level of performance, I would expect them to cause England problems too.

7. Having said that, France were still really poor in some areas. They gave away some criminal penalties. Vahamahina alone must've given away 3 or 4 mindless penalties?

8. Nigel's ref-ing. I thought he got the Kearney incident wrong. I also thought, within the 40-odd phases, we could've gotten a penalty for a French player being on the wrong side once or twice. But we know Nigel likes to try let it flow. Especially late on, it seems to take something particularly egregious for the defending team to get sanctioned. Other than that, I thought he was fine and exactly what we would have expected.

9. I'm not willing to name and shame in the quotes, and this is completely after-timing on my part, but I enjoyed reading these posts with the benefit of hindsight. :)
    Sexton a great player but misses the odd pressure kick.
    6 nations already over. If only Sexton would get the kicks that puts us multiple scores ahead
    Sexton scapegoat for this loss unfortunately
    A terrible Irish bottle job.
    Yep they choked yet again.

10. Lastly, we're always hearing that the 6 nations is about momentum. If we're going to put in a poor performance, but scrape a win, I'd much rather it in the first game. We now have 3 consecutive home games to put that right. Cannot wait for next week now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not even pretending to be anything but biased but only having one man in the team gave me a good opportunity to keep an eye on Aki and have to say thought he was superb. Absolute handful for the French to every time he got his hands on the ball all the way throughout the game and several really good off the ball contributions as well.

Other players that impressed me were Ryan, our halfbacks(who were outstanding), and Earls. O'Mahony, Stander and Kearney didn't live up to their usual high standards for me.

Also Vahaamahina was absolutely blessed to come through that game cardless IMHO, but I've come to expect something along those lines from a French second row to be perfectly frank.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was joking earlier but Corcoran was actually commentating :pac:

https://twitter.com/RTErugby/status/959864338763993089

That was fab

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Vive Le Drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sexton is ligind.

• Advertisement

42 phases

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

One other point that I don't think I've seen anyone else mention; how come Machenaud didn't take the penalty they missed? He was back on the field at that point, right?

Sexton.

Un

Rail

Ireland should have won comfortably but we will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Had a stab at quantifying Dev's contribution to the 40 phases from the restart, leading to Johnny's drop:

Ruck 1 - No involvement
    Ruck 2 - Clear out
    Ruck 3 - No involvement
    Ruck 4 - Guard
    Ruck 5 - Clear out
    Ruck 6 - No involvement
    Ruck 7 - No involvement
    Ruck 8 - Clear out
    Ruck 9 - No involvement
    Ruck 10 - No involvement
    Ruck 11 - Guard
    Ruck 12 - Clear out
    Ruck 13 - No involvement
    Ruck 14 - First man in to clear out (but French left this breakdown)
    Ruck 15 - No involvement
    Ruck 16 - Carry
    Ruck 17 - No involvement
    Ruck 18 - No involvement
    Ruck 19 - Clear out
    Ruck 20 - No involvement
    Ruck 21 - Clear out
    Ruck 22 - No involvement
    Ruck 23 - Clear out
    Ruck 24 - No involvement (we’re now just after Johnny’s cross kick to Earls)
    Ruck 25 - Clear out
    Ruck 26 - No involvement
    Ruck 27 - Carry
    Ruck 28 - No involvement
    Ruck 29 - Guard
    Ruck 30 - No involvement
    Ruck 31 - Clear out
    Ruck 32 - No involvement
    Ruck 33 - Clear out
    Ruck 34 - Cameo at scrum half
    Ruck 35 - Clear out
    Ruck 36 - Clear out
    Ruck 37 - No involvement
    Ruck 38 - Clear out
    Ruck 39 - No involvement
    Ruck 40 - Guard

14 clear outs, 4 guards, 2 carries and a quick distribution.

Involvement in more than half of the rucks.

Immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Had a stab at quantifying Dev's contribution to the 40 phases from the restart, leading to Johnny's drop:

Ruck 1 - No involvement
    Ruck 2 - Clear out
    Ruck 3 - No involvement
    Ruck 4 - Guard
    Ruck 5 - Clear out
    Ruck 6 - No involvement
    Ruck 7 - No involvement
    Ruck 8 - Clear out
    Ruck 9 - No involvement
    Ruck 10 - No involvement
    Ruck 11 - Guard
    Ruck 12 - Clear out
    Ruck 13 - No involvement
    Ruck 15 - No involvement
    Ruck 16 - Carry
    Ruck 17 - No involvement
    Ruck 18 - No involvement
    Ruck 19 - Clear out
    Ruck 20 - No involvement
    Ruck 21 - Clear out
    Ruck 22 - No involvement
    Ruck 23 - Clear out
    Ruck 25 - Clear out
    Ruck 26 - No involvement
    Ruck 27 - Carry
    Ruck 28 - No involvement
    Ruck 29 - Guard
    Ruck 30 - No involvement
    Ruck 31 - Clear out
    Ruck 32 - No involvement
    Ruck 33 - Clear out
    Ruck 35 - Clear out
    Ruck 36 - Clear out
    Ruck 37 - No involvement
    Ruck 38 - Clear out
    Ruck 39 - No involvement
    Ruck 40 - Guard

Immense.

Murray, you've accidentally posted on boards instead of publishing your article on the42 mate

• Subscribers Posts: 41,222 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Neil3030 wrote: »

Ruck 1 - No involvement
    Ruck 2 - Clear out
    Ruck 3 - No involvement
    Ruck 4 - Guard
    Ruck 5 - Clear out
    Ruck 6 - No involvement
    Ruck 7 - No involvement
    Ruck 8 - Clear out
    Ruck 9 - No involvement
    Ruck 10 - No involvement
    Ruck 11 - Guard
    Ruck 12 - Clear out
    Ruck 13 - No involvement
    Ruck 15 - No involvement
    Ruck 16 - Carry
    Ruck 17 - No involvement
    Ruck 18 - No involvement
    Ruck 19 - Clear out
    Ruck 20 - No involvement
    Ruck 21 - Clear out
    Ruck 22 - No involvement
    Ruck 23 - Clear out
    Ruck 25 - Clear out
    Ruck 26 - No involvement
    Ruck 27 - Carry
    Ruck 28 - No involvement
    Ruck 29 - Guard
    Ruck 30 - No involvement
    Ruck 31 - Clear out
    Ruck 32 - No involvement
    Ruck 33 - Clear out
    Ruck 35 - Clear out
    Ruck 36 - Clear out
    Ruck 37 - No involvement
    Ruck 38 - Clear out
    Ruck 39 - No involvement
    Ruck 40 - Guard

Immense.

How fusching often can I thank this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Watching it back. Have to feel a little sorry for Guirado. Some ****ing effot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

aloooof wrote: »
    One other point that I don't think I've seen anyone else mention; how come Machenaud didn't take the penalty they missed? He was back on the field at that point, right?

Subs on for HIA's can't kick afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

By about phase 33 I knew I was watching easily the finest rugby of the day (Wales v Scotland was poor, like from a sub-division with one just a lot worse than the other). I also knew we would still lose, gallantly, having been just the better team almost all match & then... the legend that is Jonny is confirmed for all to see, long live the Legend.

Keep that thought boyo ... The sub-division one ..... some of the comments on this thread are laughable but that one ..... well has me licking my lips in anticipation.

THE reality is Ireland got lucky at the end of the game today .... poor miss from the penalty by France cost them the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

By about phase 33 I knew I was watching easily the finest rugby of the day (Wales v Scotland was poor, like from a sub-division with one just a lot worse than the other). I also knew we would still lose, gallantly, having been just the better team almost all match & then... the legend that is Jonny is confirmed for all to see, long live the Legend.

Keep that thought boyo ... The sub-division one ..... some of the comments on this thread are laughable but that one ..... well has me licking my lips in anticipation.

THE reality is Ireland got lucky at the end of the game today .... poor miss from the penalty by France cost them the match.

Ah I would have taken a draw, we missed an easy penalty also.

I am fairly worried about Wales I think it will also be a two point game either way.

I can see France beating England and England beating Wales and Wales beating Ireland in the usual championship lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Christ what a match to be at! Up there with Cardiff ‘09 for sheer intensity for me.

Fair play to the lads, 41 phases in dead time, took some amount of discipline. Sextons cross field kick to Earls, and Earls’ take - sublime!

I was behind the goal when I saw Johnny attempt the drop goal and my first feeling was “it’s too far out!!!” - but to see it just creep over was immense!

Must have stayed for 20 minutes after the final whistle leading chants of “There’s only one Johnny Sexton” and great to give the lads a rousing reception when they came back on the field!

What a game- what a man! What a day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Christ what a match to be at! Up there with Cardiff ‘09 for sheer intensity for me.

Fair play to the lads, 41 phases in dead time, took some amount of discipline. Sextons cross field kick to Earls, and Earls’ take - sublime!

I was behind the goal when I saw Johnny attempt the drop goal and my first feeling was “it’s too far out!!!” - but to see it just creep over was immense!

Must have stayed for 20 minutes after the final whistle leading chants of “There’s only one Johnny Sexton” and great to give the lads a rousing reception when they came back on the field!

What a game- what a man! What a day!

You were there? You never mentioned it.

sullivlo wrote: »
    You were there? You never mentioned it.

😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cdg is no place to be navigating in this hungover state

Cdg is no place to be navigating in this hungover state

You have my sympathies- bus to BVA tomorrow night so I’ll head back to Corcoran’s to watch Italy England with a few beers- the girls flew there from Paris at 5 this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Just watched the last 5 minutes there again on sky plus.Fantastic.Yer all lucky buggers,to have watched that live,in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I reckon Wales have vgood chance of winning in Dublin.
    Ireland are too predictable and Wales have the perfect defensive system to cope.

Ireland were lucky to get the win.
    last 5 mins was anything but lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

.ak wrote: »
    If it's the passage of play I'm thinking of I was going mad at that... for the officials not to award us a penalty for that. You're right, we put ourselves in a bad position there and took a poor option, but the assist tackler latched onto Furlong on the ball and never released when Furlong was brought to ground. He has to release, just like Furlong has to be given the opportunity to present the ball.

I think we could've been in for a try at that point, France were scrambling.

I thought Furlong had that ripped in the tackle I have to say. Guirado was decently a no release situation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Luck kinda cancels itself out when both teams have a sitter missed. Crap conditions to get a clean strike.

Anyway, at the end of the day if France had won it would’ve been Ireland who were robbed.. We were the better side despite playing no where near our best, France did nothing to deserve their lead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement