Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview & thread: FRA vs IRE (Sat Feb 3, 1645)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I haven't seen a French team work that hard for each other in a long, long time. They were at home under a new coach and weren't prepared to give up.

We made big errors and things went against us but it was a forgone conclusion in that last 5 minutes that France would win given the flow of the game. That the entire Ireland team were not prepared to pack it in and had the discipline to produce a platform to win is incredible.

Remember that Ireland almost beat the All Blacks in New Zealand under Kidney during our three match tour. We were no great shakes and racked with injuries but still put it upto them. The playing field at test level is only level when you look over a season, outlier results like this happen.

Ireland won that game like the All Blacks do, by producing something unbelievable to win a lost battle.

I think people are being ridiculous about this game. It's a massive victory.
    I think you're confusing two things, the result and the performance.

The result is good.

The performance was definitely not good. It should never have come down to an 82nd minute drop goal.

France were one dimensional but so were Ireland. We could play until this time tomorrow and we wouldn't score a try. Too many passes to static forwards, not enough guile on show. At one point it looked like every single Irish player was in between the two 15 metre lines.

I think there is an aspect of people playing down expectations on France here and then bigging up Ireland because France weren't as bad as people thought. Ok, France weren't completely hopeless but they weren't great either. Ireland should still have comfortably dealt with that today.

So while the result was good, I am sure the biggest takeaway in the Irish camp will be that things must improve, and that we are fortunate that another off day hasn't cost us our goals for this tournament.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Great bottle to pull it back. Very happy with a few performances, but felt we should have been kickong to the corner a lot more. Route 1 wasn't working too well.

Was pretty disappointed with Nigel's performance. Vahaamahina should have been nipped in the bud early on, but barely got a warning. French players lyong all over the ball weren't pinged, but Aki was when the ball was readily available to play.

Happy with the win, but a lot to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think their post match analysis has been promising and they have kept their emotions in tact which could have been difficult. Could do with a little bit of lightness though, but the camaraderie might build. It was all very tense up until that
    Everyone know what O Gara has to offer, punditry wise so it is just about getting used to some of the others

I would personally bring shaggy back to studio and put Jennings pitch side

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There wouldn't be anything to investigate. This is like whiplash in car accidents. When there's an incentive, the number of cases rises.

Maybe French doctors just don’t take any risks with HIA’s. It was Owens who asked first though wasn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is that kick once more from Sexton. What a masterclass. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There wouldn't be anything to investigate. This is like whiplash in car accidents. When there's an incentive, the number of cases rises.

Or it's just a completely legitimate decision by a qualified professional

There's already been an investigation into this subject that led to changes. It absolutely can be investigated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who got motm?

The pub I was in went nuts after the drop goal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am loving TV3 so far.....great selection of ex players .....good analysis

In showing the O'Gara grand slam drop, they used BBC's footage. I bet it's cheaper than using RTEs and doesn't require a quart of blood to get it from their archives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd say you could accurately measure the age of a lot of guys posting here by their level of disdain for a win in Paris.

It was NEVER going to be easy. The weather didn't help.

Let's just enjoy it. The pitchforks will keep till tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Here is that kick once more from Sexton. What a masterclass. :)

It will be "Sexton kicks 80m Drop Goal" by Wednesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I haven't eaten since breakfast. I was starving at half time.

Now I'm not hungry at all.

Sexton has cured my hunger.

I wasn't hungry but then I went in to the kitchen and had half a pizza and 14 chicken dippers.
    Sexton cured my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kevingonewest

lawred2 wrote: »
    I love Keith Earls
    Where has this guy come from? Up till a few years ago he just wasn't really there, now he is superb, bigger but electric fast as always and now willing to put his head in. When the team sheet came out I first read R Kearney, K. Earls... and I was already smiling. Also, Kearney is back to being the 15 that English commentators used to call the best in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

I thought TV3 was very good- Really like listening to O Gara as a pundit, no BS just says it as he sees it- Jennings quite good too-couldn’t be bothered listening to Matt though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Joe on TV3 gets thick when someone doesn't answer how he wants them to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    I thought TV3 was very good- Really like listening to O Gara as a pundit, no BS just says it as he sees it- Jennings quite good too-couldn’t be bothered listening to Matt though

Molloy steering them is key. Williams is really poor alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

At the end of the day there is a reason we have only won 3 times in 40 odd in years in Paris.

awec wrote: »
    I think you're confusing two things, the result and the performance.

The result is good.

The performance was definitely not good. It should never have come down to an 82nd minute drop goal.

France were one dimensional but so were Ireland. We could play until this time tomorrow and we wouldn't score a try. Too many passes to static forwards, not enough guile on show. At one point it looked like every single Irish player was in between the two 15 metre lines.

I think there is an aspect of people playing down expectations on France here and then bigging up Ireland because France weren't as bad as people thought. Ok, France weren't completely hopeless but they weren't great either. Ireland should still have comfortably dealt with that today.

So while the result was good, I am sure the biggest takeaway in the Irish camp will be that things must improve, and that we are fortunate that another off day hasn't cost us our goals for this tournament.

I disagree, I think you are under appreciating the performance by France by a long way. We were one dimensional but France did that to us to a certain degree. I expected France to fold early, they didn't at all.

We were very good in many aspects of our play. You will rarely see that level of composure at this level and on a stage like that.

We'll be better, but we also won't face as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Oh to be in a bar in England when that kick went over.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Where has this guy come from? Up till a few years ago he just wasn't really there,

Lions tour 2009 at the age of 21.

I disagree, I think you are under appreciating the performance by France by a long way. We were one dimensional but France did that to us to a certain degree. I expected France to fold early, they didn't at all.

We were very good in many aspects of our play. You will rarely see that level of composure at this level and on a stage like that.

I have conceded that you are taking the p*ss at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Owens needs to take a long look at himself. That was an unbelievable decision not to give a penalty on Kearney. Could and should have cost us the game. Thanksfully we didn't panic and had a world class player to pull it out of the fire for us. Stand outs apart from Sexton were James Ryan and Dan Leavy. Our back play tho was stilted. I'd love to see Larmour either at outside centre or full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

gmurphy70 wrote: »

Turned to BBC Scotland during the first match, got fed up with the TV3 Mid Atlantic, DJ accent from the main commentator.

Blamed Sexton earlier but it was Kearney that fragmented initial line for Thomas try. Very basic error

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    At the end of the day there is a reason we have only won 3 times in 40 odd in years in Paris.
    What's the reason?

That France used to be really good and Ireland didn't?

We need to get over this small time mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Where has this guy come from? Up till a few years ago he just wasn't really there, now he is superb, bigger but electric fast as always and now willing to put his head in. When the team sheet came out I first read R Kearney, K. Earls... and I was already smiling. Also, Kearney is back to being the 15 that English commentators used to call the best in Europe.

Earls was immense in a sea of tedia today, but the debate has always revolved around his competence at international centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Ireland got out of jail today!
    In the 3rd quarter when we were dominating, good game management should have seen the game out.
    A lack of leadership like what Paul O'Connell would have provided, meant that we put ourselves in a position from dominating, to chasing the game.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Thierry Henry.

How many pints in are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

I think Ireland will get better, we often struggle away from home, so delighted with the win. Three home matches next, we can build momentum during that. Wales look like a tough match though.

• Advertisement

I'd say you could accurately measure the age of a lot of guys posting here by their level of disdain for a win in Paris.

It was NEVER going to be easy. The weather didn't help.

Let's just enjoy it. The pitchforks will keep till tomorrow.
    This is your last warning on this. If you make another post like:

- "people celebrating us losing"
    - "you're not real fans"
    - "disdain for a win"

you will be taking a break.

I encourage you to contribute more constructively rather than take sneaky digs at other posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement