Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match preview & thread: FRA vs IRE (Sat Feb 3, 1645)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,145 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The drop goal was genius enough.

But don't forget we don't get in that position if he doesn't also show balls of steel to hit a perfect cross kick to Earls.

What a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Skid X wrote: »
    How that we win that ????

I thought Johnny's kick was going short and wide, terrible decision to kick from that far out :D

What a game !!!

I would love to see the parallel universe Boards reaction if it had dropped short!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Sexton cross kick to Earls was brave too as we were going nowhere.

Was going to say this too. Great leadership and self belief. If he got that wrong he'd have been crucified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The whole HIA fiasco was very poor sportsmanship. Assuming it wasn't a head injury, which is really looked like it wasn't. They did something similar against Wales last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It was a classic Irish loss...until it was a completely unrecognisable Irish win! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

It has been done before, but once again, here's an X-Ray from Johnny's latest medical:

balls-of-steel-picture-id108194705

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Lucky! Against a team with a new coach the 2 things lacking will be fluid attack and structured defence. So much one up carries which suited the French to a tee, Schmidt needs to look at that.

But a class drop for the victory.

My Irish MOTM was Leavy.

When you get pretty much no go forward ball of rucks all day, it’s pretty hard to manufacture space to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

And now we wait for the Michael Corcoran commentary for the drop goal :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Incredible strength of character to snatch the win, but really shouldn't have been in the position. Our lineout and maul suffered without Toner. We always look poor when we don't get to play with pace, and we didn't do a good enough job of stopping France from slowing down the ruck to build any really attacking tempo.
    Plenty to improve on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The whole HIA fiasco was very poor sportsmanship. Assuming it wasn't a head injury, which is really looked like it wasn't. They did something similar against Wales last year.

HIA then goes limping up the corridor and will be out for a few weeks with a knee injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair play to Johnny, savage

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

TV3 panel are incredibly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

40+ phases to win that game. Sexton finished but the whole team won that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Sexton was incredible today, great composure, bravery, in Defense and attack. Belief. Everything you want from a player, immense respect. Earls too must be massively credited for that kick chase in the lead up to that try. Dan Leavy worked like a tireless dog at the end too huge effort.

I have to say, thank you Munster rugby. You showed that this sort of thing is possible. You showed that an inevitable conclusion can be conquered if everyone does everything right and you make the most of the very little that you have.

Absolutely amazing performance. I'd have lived with a loss there, France were absolutely outrageous. They are weaker for having played a game because there is something to look at now but that was a 23 player effort to a very high standard. They were poor going forward bar some individual excellence but were unbelievably committed. The All Blacks would have struggled just as much.

That cross field kick. That drop goal. It all working and the win.

I will never forget this game. Absolutely exceptional. Absolutely exceptional. Beaten but won.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Takes a lot for me to dance but after that drop goal smile from ear to ear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I get to see Johnny quite regularly and the next time I see him I'm going to run over and give him a hug. I don't care if he punches me or takes out a restraining order. What a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The second one was 100% not a HIA. I can see why Sexton was so pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jaysus lads, we were rubbish but great finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Absolutely blessed to win that game.

I’m extremely disappointed with Nigel Owens, that is by far and away the worst I’ve ever seen from him, he had an absolute shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For all the comments about joe and team.....the weather was shocking

Plus we have won how many times in France????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The HIA thing is going to become a real problem and end up trivializing what is supposed to be a responsible and progressive move forward.

To see it abused like that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

josip wrote: »
    TV3 panel are incredibly bad

Unbelievable drop goal there. Incidentally, every time I turn from BBC to TV3 it's on an ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I don't think people realise just how bloody good Sexton is. Honestly that's the mark of one of the best in the game. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Fair ****s to Sexton. Nailed it.

Me in the pub “not from ****ing there!!”

I reckon we're going to win by 2 points
    Nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Are France the only team pulling this HIA craic? Appalling that they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It was from the match doctor.

And the first HIA absolutely showed head contact, saw it myself.

I'm only talking about the 2nd one.

When did the match doctor see him? As he limped by him? I'd be fairly confident saying someone "decided" he had a hia and the doctor was told he hit his head. What did the doctor See? Same as us, so he's told it's head knock by the player or the French staff. They may as Well have rang me sitting here in Dublin to call it as a hia and I could have passed on what the Frence bench said to Owens,same as the doctor did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    For all the comments about joe and team.....the weather was shocking

Plus we have won how many times in France????

That’s the 3rd time since 72 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Nailed it

It was 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement