Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Just saw a Garda walking around the cornmarket/coal quay area with a notebook going up to the parked cars. All getting fines I reckon. Delighted!

Good to hear. Hopefully they'll all get a nice fine.

Some fine illegal parking on yellow lines along Georges Quay and along further outside Sober Lane also. Not a bother to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just saw a Garda walking around the cornmarket/coal quay area with a notebook going up to the parked cars. All getting fines I reckon. Delighted!

This is nothing new. I used to live on the coal quay for three years. Nearly every Sunday the Gardai were out ticketing. They'd often do two or three sweeps a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This is nothing new. I used to live on the coal quay for three years. Nearly every Sunday the Gardai were out ticketing. They'd often do two or three sweeps a day.

Yet so many people still park there, mad!

Yet so many people still park there, mad!

It's the lack of visibility of enforcement. The Gardai don't leave tickets. Even if they go out three times, they're only seen taking down numbers for ten minutes maximum. Unless you witness this you're not going to see a deterrent. I've watched literally hundreds of cars getting ticketed from my apartment when I lived there, but even that's a relatively tiny number in the grand scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

What is the problem with people parking there on a sunday?(I know its illegal but I,m asking as practically reason?) Waste of space I feel.

• Advertisement

farmerjj wrote: »
    What is the problem with people parking there on a sunday?(I know its illegal but I,m asking as practically reason?) Waste of space I feel.

Besides being extremely dangerous... I've seen kids (adults as well) nearly get run over. People in wheelchairs unable to get to the pedestrian crossing. They spent a fortune on it and cars cause damages. They block the entrance to business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

It's the lack of visibility of enforcement. The Gardai don't leave tickets.

They did leave tickets today. Or some kind of piece of paper anyway with a big Garda logo on it. I was sitting outside the Parlour cafe having lunch and witnessed a few people park their cars and then after noticing the paper on windscreens of other cars drove off again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Besides being extremely dangerous... I've seen kids (adults as well) nearly get run over. People in wheelchairs unable to get to the pedestrian crossing. They spent a fortune on it and cars cause damages. They block the entrance to business.

Extremely dangerous:rolleyes: Your opinion on extreme is a little bit different from mine ,i would think parking on a motorway as extremely dangerous not parking on that waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Extremely dangerous:rolleyes: Your opinion on extreme is a little bit different from mine ,i would think parking on a motorway as extremely dangerous not parking on that waste of space.

That waste of space is an amenity for pedestrians - many of whom drive. A place to stroll without having to dodge reversing cars. A place in the city centre where kids should safely be able to be a bit less restrained. A space for market traders. A space for relaxation away from traffic.
    It was created at great expense to be the above, not to be a free car park for the ignorant, selfish driver.

As a pedestrian, I tend to not walk in the road (except when ignorant parkers force me to).
    As I driver, I tend to not drive or park on footpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

ofcork wrote: »
    On the echo today the council are finally doing something about the illegal parking in the coal quay.

Any idea how they are doing this? Bollards? Barriers?
    I always think it's a sad state of affairs that we have to spend money caging off footpaths so moronic drivers don't park on them.

• Advertisement

I don't know if you're on a windup or what - it seems not !

To be honest it's that sort of "era sure it's grand" attitude that creates the problem in the first place. Most people parked up there don't see any issue with it. I suppose they might change their mind if it was their child that was ploughed down on a pedestrian plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

@MrTea the article didnt say i assume bollards and some auto ones to facilitate the traders,as i said earlier i had to move out of the way recently as a guy drove on the plaza like he was on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always think it's a sad state of affairs that we have to spend money caging off footpaths so moronic drivers don't park on them.

They've put bicycle stands on either side of the access lane to the Garda station and they have temporary bollards across the other trader access. I guess they'll put removable bollards there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They have put bike racks in place.

Article in the Echo said that removable bollards will be added and the Council are going to put in street furniture, i.e. benches, large potted plants, etc. in the coming weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Article in the Echo said that removable bollards will be added and the Council are going to put in street furniture, i.e. benches, large potted plants, etc. in the coming weeks/months.

Well at least they are doing something with it. It's the biggest waste of space going at the moment - it might as well be a car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

FrStone wrote: »
    Well at least they are doing something with it. It's the biggest waste of space going at the moment - it might as well be a car park.

Yeah it is a waste. I think the Council originally saw a bigger demand for market stalls, etc there. Between farmers markets and a few other things popping up during the week, the idea was that it would be full several days a week but it never panned out as such.

A seating area with some greenery could be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

These are the bike racks that have appeared.

2e0tn5g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

opus wrote: »
    These are the bike racks that have appeared.

2e0tn5g.jpg
    Obstructions for the sake of it but sure what harm!

By that I mean their function as bike stands is secondary to their function as bollards. Don't see a demand for racks particularly in that area, Apple maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TheChizler wrote: »

By that I mean their function as bike stands is secondary to their function as bollards. Don't see a demand for racks particularly in that area, Apple maybe?

Would be reluctant to lock a bike onto fairly isolated looking stands...safety in numbers and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would be reluctant to lock a bike onto fairly isolated looking stands...safety in numbers and all that.
    I suppose on market days it will be fairly busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I suppose on market days it will be fairly busy.

Feck-all use to me, rarely around those days. They can only accommodate a limited number of bikes, adding to their near-uselessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Well, finding a suitably vacant bike rack is hit-and-miss in that area; there's shag all on South Main street and the area by the Roundy is often full. The nearest alternative is a lamppost - assuming your lock fits around it!

Dozens of cars illegally parked there this evening. Whatever they have done, it has been entirely ineffective. Made zero difference.

They are not finished working on it yet.

They are not finished working on it yet.

Finished yet? Almost blanket coverage with illegal parking today.

That Cafe Velo place on the quay (Georges?) seems to have dispensation to allow parking on the footpaths and on yellow lines outside. There's a BMW (owner?) constantly parked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

I see a few more car obstructing devices have appeared, bit nicer than random bike racks!

10icrgw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

opus wrote: »
    I see a few more car obstructing devices have appeared, bit nicer than random bike racks!

Now if only they'd do something about the bike parking at the end of south mall! Every Sunday it's taken over by cars with the ones closest to the bridge virtually blocking one lane!

Thats for motorbikes but its crazy alright as you say nearly blocking the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Thats for motorbikes but its crazy alright as you say nearly blocking the lane.

That's the issue, it's for motorbikes and not cars! :mad:
    Only ever see it on a Sunday as people know the wardens don't patrol on a Sunday (I have yet to see one on a Sunday except for one Sunday over xmas)

Advertisement