Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

People not considering 3? One X is free on a 24 month contract at €40 with all you can eat data? Seems best deal to me.

In looking at it today, sooooo tempted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

24 month contract? The way things change at the moment 24 months is an eternity. I hate tying myself in personally, 12 months max I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

flugel wrote: »

Me too. Took a look at it at lunchtime and the screen looks amazing. I'm sat here with my Desire now and it looks like a Fisher Price toy compared to the One X :)

I'll wait to see if battery life is improved by a S/W release in the next few weeks before I buy it though and then sign up to Three on an 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

People not considering 3? One X is free on a 24 month contract at €40 with all you can eat data? Seems best deal to me.

Why would you pay €960 for a phone which will be outdated half way through the contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Why would you pay €960 for a phone which will be outdated half way through the contract?

Perhaps. Soon enough you may be able to pick one up on Adverts etc for a good price.

But that said, what is it people are really looking for in phones these days? This phone is pretty much at the pinnacle of what phones can do. 18 months from now is deemed a long time in the tech world but there would want to be some earth shattering changes in the pipeline for someone to decide that another phone could top something like this range.

Most people upgrade for tenuous, superficial reasons, for eg Beats audio and such nonsense so 18 months might not be so bad if a handset like this fulfills all your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Is it possbile to get a 12 month contract anywhere now ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Delboy5 wrote: »

Yea, but you'd be lucky to get €150 off the price of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

personally, i think you'd be much better off going sim free and sticking it on a credit card and paying it off over a couple of months than tying yourself into a 2 year (or even 18 month) contract at a steeply set (usually double) monthly price just to get the appearance of a cheaper phone in the short term.

it might sting a bit to start with, but long term you can then upgrade to whatever new phone you want to, whenever you want and sell on the old one whilst it's still worth something.

To be fair, it's not just for the phone. You're getting 24 months service for that price too. You're getting something every month for your money. The phone might be out of date but it should still be working perfectly well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You can definitely get a 12 month contract - but on the website etc they advertsie mainly 18-24 as they make more money with lock in. It's not that expensive I was quote €129 for the One S on a 12 month - the X may be a but more. In certain circumstances they will do a 6 month contract but then the phone is very expensive..

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not just for the phone. You're getting 24 months service for that price too. You're getting something every month for your money. The phone might be out of date but it should still be working perfectly well.
    yes, but if you look at the monthly price of an 18-24 month contract with any of the mobile providers, you'll find that you can get more or less the same services on a 30 day rolling SIM only contract for half the price.

over the course of those 18-24 months, you'll have paid hundreds of euro's more for the same services you could have on a SIM only contract with a full priced SIM free phone, AND you are stuck with it until the contract is up, whereas with with a SIM only contract and SIM free phone, you can get yourself the next newest greatest smartphone in 6-12 months and easily sell on whatever phone you have now whilst it's still got a good chunk of it's resale value left.

I know technology moves rapidly, but any phone I consider / do buy now (HTC X or if I wait to see what Samsung release) will be my phone for at least two years, knowing this I think 3's deal is the best for myself.

Gotta say I didn't realise as many people would be looking at buying a new phone with the idea to upgrade again in 12 months, and this when buying a new phone thats just new to the market itself.

Wouldn't be as fussed about constantly updating myself, heck I'm still using my Hero! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Amazon.co.uk have the HTC One X for £480 at the moment which works out at €580 or so. Link Has anyone found it any cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Apparently meteor and 3 are shipping unlocked PAYG versions of the one x and they are cheaper (Meteor is 560 delivered, not sure about 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Apparently meteor and 3 are shipping unlocked PAYG versions of the one x and they are cheaper (Meteor is 560 delivered, not sure about 3)

Three are 519 euro delivered from what I can see, but they only have the grey version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Think Meteor and eMobile are the only ones selling the white one, the cheaper eMobile bill pay options seem like a good deal, wish i had noticed that before i bought it from meteor sim free.

I know technology moves rapidly, but any phone I consider / do buy now (HTC X or if I wait to see what Samsung release) will be my phone for at least two years, knowing this I think 3's deal is the best for myself.

Gotta say I didn't realise as many people would be looking at buying a new phone with the idea to upgrade again in 12 months, and this when buying a new phone thats just new to the market itself.

Wouldn't be as fussed about constantly updating myself, heck I'm still using my Hero! :o
    you're still missing the point. even if you didn't sell it on after a year and get something newer, you are still being fleeced by the mobile providers with the over-inflated price of the billpay contract that you pay to get the appearance of a cheap phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm thinking of getting the phone off meteor and I'm not entirely sure of what over inflated price your talking about.

A contract of 18 months and 20 euro a month for 200 minutes and 200 texts plus 500Mbs of Data would cost me over 82 euro if I was on payg. I know you can get the bill pay sims but there isn't much difference (just an extra 500MBs of Data for the same price rolling contract)

Am I missing something?

Really not sure whether to get this phone, the nexus or wait to hear on the S3.

vibe666 wrote: »
    SteM wrote: »
    yes, but if you look at the monthly price of an 18-24 month contract with any of the mobile providers, you'll find that you can get more or less the same services on a 30 day rolling SIM only contract for half the price.

over the course of those 18-24 months, you'll have paid hundreds of euro's more for the same services you could have on a SIM only contract with a full priced SIM free phone, AND you are stuck with it until the contract is up, whereas with with a SIM only contract and SIM free phone, you can get yourself the next newest greatest smartphone in 6-12 months and easily sell on whatever phone you have now whilst it's still got a good chunk of it's resale value left.

Not half the price. With Three it's €30pm sim free versus €41pm on an 18 month contact. So

18 month contract
    Phone: 189
    Contract: 737
    = 927

Or

SIM only
    Phone: 519
    Contract: 540
    = 1059

So 132 cheaper to be tied to a contract for 18 months.

Totally depends on what you want but not MUCH cheaper to go SIM free. Just depends on whether someone wanted to upgrade within 18 months, I would hope you wouldn't *have* to upgrade within 18 months with this phone.

vibe666 wrote: »
    you're still missing the point. even if you didn't sell it on after a year and get something newer, you are still being fleeced by the mobile providers with the over-inflated price of the billpay contract that you pay to get the appearance of a cheap phone.

Taking that I will keep phone for min 2 years

A: Free phone on bill pay, 24 months x €40.66 = €975.84

B: Phone €519 + €20 (absolute minimum, would possibly have to spend more to get enough data depending on network) x 24 months = €999

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just wondering if I have thought this true correctly, I still think option A is better as cost is spread out over two years. I defo don't understand how I'm being fleeced here

*Edit Havent seen 3's €30 sim plan as mentioned above, will investigate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cdb wrote: »
    Amazon.co.uk have the HTC One X for £480 at the moment which works out at €580 or so. Link Has anyone found it any cheaper?
    EMobile on Select 100/12 Months works out at €509. The phone itself is sim free and you get 12 months of service too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Taking that I will keep phone for min 2 years

A: Free phone on bill pay, 24 months x €40.66 = €975.84

B: Phone €519 + €20 (absolute minimum, would possibly have to spend more to get enough data depending on network) x 24 months = €999

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just wondering if I have thought this true correctly, I still think option A is better as cost is spread out over two years. I defo don't understand how I'm being fleeced here

*Edit Havent seen 3's €30 sim plan as mentioned above, will investigate!!

Mine didn't work out too bad so

On 3

Got the Phone for €139 on 18 Month Contract

Sold my last phone for €100,

I'm on Classic Flex Max or €40 PM but -10% liftime customer discount = €36

So all in all thats 16 x €36 = €576 + €39 = €615

Reason for 16 is, I'll be able to upgrade again in 16 months..... Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

I got a HTC One X from Meteor yesterday as a replacement for my venerable HTC Desire. Firstly let me just say as far as the software, speed and screen quality is concerned its a fantastic upgrade and it has met all my expectations so far.

However the one thing that is really bugging me at the moment is the camera lens "bump" protruding from the back. There is no lip on the lens cover surround. So if you lay it flat on its back it will almost certainly get scratched in no time. Add to the fact that you can't replace the rear cover easily and I really think HTC have a major design flaw on their hands here. A case back is an absolute must. The problem is all of the cases I've seen so far seem to have just a cut out for the lens. If anyone has seen a cover that provides complete lens protection (i.e. sitting above the lens housing) while allowing full camera function please feel free to post here or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

SkySter wrote: »
    I got a HTC One X from Meteor yesterday as a replacement for my venerable HTC Desire. Firstly let me just say as far as the software, speed and screen quality is concerned its a fantastic upgrade and it has met all my expectations so far.

However the one thing that is really bugging me at the moment is the camera lens "bump" protruding from the back. There is no lip on the lens cover surround. So if you lay it flat on its back it will almost certainly get scratched in no time. Add to the fact that you can't replace the rear cover easily and I really think HTC have a major design flaw on their hands here. A case back is an absolute must. The problem is all of the cases I've seen so far seem to have just a cut out for the lens. If anyone has seen a cover that provides complete lens protection (i.e. sitting above the lens housing) while allowing full camera function please feel free to post here or PM me.

I'm going to go for the HTC One X Clear Hard Shell Case Cover HC C700. Subtle case with a good lip protecting the camera.

http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/htc-one-x-clear-hard-shell-case-cover-hc-c700.html?source=aw&awc=2245_1334088097_16aa462319d7c9f871118fc816e81fe0

camera2qy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi folks
    Received my One X today and trying to add music to it at the moment. I have come across a problem in that some of the music is in the protected AAC format. Is there any way of getting this music onto an android phone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Would love the One X . Picked it up today in the meteor store just so beautiful. just have to sell my Sensation first. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I got the One X for 269 on emobile with a 12 month contract. Their tariff pricing seems to be some of the best on the market aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What's the screen like on the S? Compared to someone coming from a normal Desire?
    The X is just too big for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hi folks
    Received my One X today and trying to add music to it at the moment. I have come across a problem in that some of the music is in the protected AAC format. Is there any way of getting this music onto an android phone please?

I don't know if there's any software that will re-encode the files without the protection. Worst comes to the worst, you could burn it to CD and re-rip it from the CD into MP3

• Advertisement

yep, looks like i can't add up. :o

altho there's definitely much better deals now on the HTC One's than when i got my DHD in Jan 2011.

Advertisement