Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bear in mind that rooting the phone now may cause warranty issues should you ever need to repair the phone under warranty. I'm holding out until there's a reversible method to get S-OFF.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

S-OFF.
    I see this mentioned a lot but I do not understand what it is. Can anyone please explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Zascar wrote: »
    I see this mentioned a lot but I do not understand what it is. Can anyone please explain?

From what I remember from my HTC Desire....
    It's a HTC term (not sure if any other phone manufacturers use it?)
    S-ON > Security On
    S-OFF > Security Off
    With S-OFF you can write to the NAND (flash memory, a more advanced version of EEPROM) and as such you can put new roms on it etc.
    I think I remember reading that the S-ON/OFF actually refers to a flag somewhere in the devices radio that checks the signature of an image. It won't let you install/flash unsigned roms/images.

If you search google you'll find all the info you need.
    Really what we're waiting for is a permanent way to turn S-OFF and if required back to S-ON (in the case of needing warranty work).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

lafors hit the nail on the head. The main benefit of a community-developed method of unlocking your bootloader is that you can do it without HTC being made aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its a nice phone and i suppose htcs touch on the android is not bad imho it beats touchwiz allright but as always battery would be a major issue for me especially with it being non-replaceable.

One other thing is the apps that are not ics compatible and as a result the menu is at the bottom right. This works for galaxy nexus as the main buttons are dynamic and smart but for the htc one they are not they are fixed on the screen so can you see the menu button for the apps that are not ics compatible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

A menu button appears across the bottom of the screen for legacy apps

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I had a HTC hero some time ago (lives untouched in a desk) which was hit and miss. Ended up being a laggy affair, and I didn't like sense at all. It's ancient as far as phone tech goes, being one of the first real android devices...

Moved on to a few others since then... but just the other day I jumped the boat and decided to upgrade to this beast after playing with one in the shop.

**** YEAH, I'm liking it. I'm listening to some tunes on it as I type - it's an absolute beast of a phone. Still can't get over playing an enhanced version of GTA3 on something I've just whipped out of my pocket.

Ordered a cheap flip-case from amazon (3 quid) - I'm determined to treat this phone well. I have a nasty habbit of dropping mobile a lot... Want to keep it in good condition.

Looks like a reason for some battery drain has been found on the One X
    In the shipped HTC rom, the power management apk was put into the wrong directory :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Looks like a reason for some battery drain has been found on the One X
    In the shipped HTC rom, the power management apk was put into the wrong directory :pac:

Chinholio, do you have a link for that news?

cheers,

kesey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just let e get this straight then before i head into Meteor.

The X is the best of the 3, The S is 2nd best and the Y is the third??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Meteor only have the X atm anyway but yes, the X is the best. CPW have both for comparison but there is very little difference in size between the X and S when you have both of them in hand. The V hasnt been released yet over here i believe and is the base model

kesey wrote: »
    Chinholio, do you have a link for that news?

cheers,

kesey

I just seen it on the XDA forums.
    If you have Root explorer or something similar and you go to /system/bin theres a (very out of place) .apk file there called NvCPLSvc.apk .

Lee Bailey (LeeDroid dev) put up the config from it which contains a few refences to power management, processor load etc
    # static fields
    .field private static final TAG:Ljava/lang/String; = "NvPowerMgr"

.field private static final fpsLimitName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_FPSLIMIT"

.field private static final mAggressiveness:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/aggressiveness"

.field private static final mAggressiveness_Balanced:I = 0x1d

.field private static final mAggressiveness_FullPerf:I = 0x18

.field private static final mCPU_User_Cap:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/module/cpu_tegra/parameters/cpu_user_cap"

.field private static final mCapLevel_Balanced:I = 0x4b0

.field private static final mCapLevel_FullPerf:I = 0x514

.field private static final mCapState_Balanced:I = 0x1

.field private static final mCapState_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final mCore_Cap_Level:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/kernel/tegra_cap/core_cap_level"

.field private static final mCore_Cap_State:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/kernel/tegra_cap/core_cap_state"

.field private static final mEnable_3D_Scaling:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/host1x.0/gr3d/enable_3d_scaling"

.field private static final mMaxBoost:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/max_boost"

.field private static final mMaxBoost_Balanced:I = 0x3d090

.field private static final mMaxBoost_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final mMaxSpeedLoad:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/go_maxspeed_load"

.field private static final mMaxSpeedLoad_Balanced:I = 0x5f

.field private static final mMaxSpeedLoad_FullPerf:I = 0x55

.field private static final mScaling_Balanced:I = 0x1

.field private static final mScaling_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final mUserCap_Balanced:I = 0x124f80

.field private static final mUserCap_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final sysfsFileName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_SYSFSFN"

.field private static final sysfsName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_SYSFSWRITE"

.field private static final sysfsValueName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_SYSFSVALUE"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I just seen it on the XDA forums.
    If you have Root explorer or something similar and you go to /system/bin theres a (very out of place) .apk file there called NvCPLSvc.apk .

Lee Bailey (LeeDroid dev) put up the config from it which contains a few refences to power management, processor load etc
    # static fields
    .field private static final TAG:Ljava/lang/String; = "NvPowerMgr"

.field private static final fpsLimitName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_FPSLIMIT"

.field private static final mAggressiveness:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/aggressiveness"

.field private static final mAggressiveness_Balanced:I = 0x1d

.field private static final mAggressiveness_FullPerf:I = 0x18

.field private static final mCPU_User_Cap:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/module/cpu_tegra/parameters/cpu_user_cap"

.field private static final mCapLevel_Balanced:I = 0x4b0

.field private static final mCapLevel_FullPerf:I = 0x514

.field private static final mCapState_Balanced:I = 0x1

.field private static final mCapState_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final mCore_Cap_Level:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/kernel/tegra_cap/core_cap_level"

.field private static final mCore_Cap_State:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/kernel/tegra_cap/core_cap_state"

.field private static final mEnable_3D_Scaling:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/host1x.0/gr3d/enable_3d_scaling"

.field private static final mMaxBoost:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/max_boost"

.field private static final mMaxBoost_Balanced:I = 0x3d090

.field private static final mMaxBoost_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final mMaxSpeedLoad:Ljava/lang/String; = "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/go_maxspeed_load"

.field private static final mMaxSpeedLoad_Balanced:I = 0x5f

.field private static final mMaxSpeedLoad_FullPerf:I = 0x55

.field private static final mScaling_Balanced:I = 0x1

.field private static final mScaling_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final mUserCap_Balanced:I = 0x124f80

.field private static final mUserCap_FullPerf:I = 0x0

.field private static final sysfsFileName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_SYSFSFN"

.field private static final sysfsName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_SYSFSWRITE"

.field private static final sysfsValueName:Ljava/lang/String; = "NV_SYSFSVALUE"

can u post the thread please?

can u post the thread please?

Think it was 1st found in the Android Revolution thread but I saw it in the Leedroid one here
    Starting about post #518 (not sure on page depending on how many posts per page you have)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So will changing this make a difference to the power management and battery? The above makes no sense to me but hopefully there will be an easier way to fix it, like a software update or something.

I hope there will be some good roms out for the One X that further improve the battery. I never changed my Sensation from stock, the process to unlock the bootloader looked too complicated so I never really bothered. I remember nearly bricking my Desire a few times and it was never the same after I started messing with it.

Theres an OTA update to version 1.28 (most are just on 1.26) imminent (some places already have it).
    Apparently its only about 20mb so probably just moves this to the right place and some other small changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just downloading Revolution HD 1.2.2 which has this fixed, along with the annoying Sense reloading issue that 1.2.0 had.
    Should be a nice update!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Anyone with the X and not using a case / cover for it? Find it getting scuffed on the back or anything? Seems the protruding camera lens can get scratched. Would have been hoping with a Gorrila Glass phone wouldn't need to use a case or cover but appears necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

Seems to be a real shortage of the One X in Three shops. None in Grafton Street, Henry Street, The Square took delivery of 1 unit today etc. Seem to remember a similar problem with the original desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Just tried to buy it from meteor and its only available in black (even though website says white and black available). given ill have it for the next 18 months, will hold out for the white. Might just go the same method as Partyatyourgaff and go to emobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

flugel wrote: »
    Anyone with the X and not using a case / cover for it? Find it getting scuffed on the back or anything? Seems the protruding camera lens can get scratched. Would have been hoping with a Gorrila Glass phone wouldn't need to use a case or cover but appears necessary?

Not using a case (never have) and haven't got any scuff marks or scratches etc on it at all.

I was always wary of the lens in the desire, and I'm being a bit cautious about this one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Three rumoured to have the white one next week but no date confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

vibe666 wrote: »
    i hate to (potentially) be the bad news bear, but it looks like there *might* be a bit of an issue with the micro arc oxidation on the back cover, at least on the one s. :(

http://www.talkandroid.com/105340-owners-say-htcs-micro-arc-oxidation-process-on-the-one-s-looks-to-be-flawed/

Looks like HTC have acknowledged it....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/11/2942239/htc-one-s-chipping-response

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Saadyst wrote: »
    Not using a case (never have) and haven't got any scuff marks or scratches etc on it at all.

I was always wary of the lens in the desire, and I'm being a bit cautious about this one as well.

When you leave it down do you just leave it on the surface or on top of a bit of paper\cloth etc.?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Mine should be here on Monday, just offloaded my Evo 3D.

Kinda worrying about having got it in white though, hope the finish will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Mine should be here on Monday, just offloaded my Evo 3D.

Kinda worrying about having got it in white though, hope the finish will last.

Did you have the Evo 3D for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

madmoe wrote: »
    When you leave it down do you just leave it on the surface or on top of a bit of paper\cloth etc.?

Cheers,
    M

Yeah I'm weird like that, did it with the Desire as well.. also make sure never to put it in a pocket with coins / keys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

madmoe wrote: »
    Did you have the Evo 3D for long?

Only a month, bought for €250, sold for €250, got the One X for €500 even.

My main reason for the switch was the lack of developer community for the Evo 3D, even though it was a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

o2 have the one x online now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Just downloading Revolution HD 1.2.2 which has this fixed, along with the annoying Sense reloading issue that 1.2.0 had.
    Should be a nice update!
    notice better battery life?

Advertisement