Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

bd250110 wrote: »
    I was going to get the ONE s yesterday and popped along to my local o2 store (UK). The s is certainly incredibly thin, light and feels wonderful in the hand, there are two major flaws, the screen and Sense 4.0. The screen is nothing like the iPhone 4s or Nexus devices. I was worried that the SGN would be too large, but having a quick play, it wasn't and I really like stock ICS, which is buttery smooth and has the "cool" CRT transition.

Coming from an iPhone, it was actually rather painless, my iCloud email and calendars are all on the phone, no problem. My previous apps all installed quickly from the market. So far the battery life seems on par with the 4s. All of that said, the Nexus is still considerably more expensive than the ONE s, but the screen and stock experience is worth it, for me.

As an aside, the white ONE X looks acceptable, the grey looks awful, to my eyes. It's a really hard, nasty, shiny grey. It reminded me of the grocery tills in Dunnes after 10 years wear.

Never used a Nexus or iPhone but the screen on the One S looks pretty amazing to me. As far as Sense goes, the great thing about HTC phones is that they can be rooted and you can use an ICS ROM if you wish.

Still not sure I'm going to pick one of these up though...

Has anyone just walked into metor and bought one? I'm kinda tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Does anyone know if EMobile lock their Android phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ziggie

Just out of contract with Three with my Desire... anyone any ideas on the best value 12 month contract with the One S??
    Two years contract is just too long with the speed that smartphones are improving!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Does anyone know if EMobile lock their Android phones?

history suggests that the first batches of HTCs released by meteor/emobile are always sim free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

theteal wrote: »
    history suggests that the first batches of HTCs released by meteor/emobile are always sim free
    I'm off to EMobile then...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,127 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What is the story with the memory on the HTC One X?

This review: http://eurodroid.com/2012/04/05/htc-one-x-review/ shows just 2GB of memory for Apps.

What is the story with the rest of the memory - is it treated like an SD card (so apps can be moved to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

EMobile bill pay is probably the best way to buy this phone. On price, it beats sim free and prepay.

A HTC One X for €269 + 12 months Select 100 @ 19.41. Hell, you could even throw away the sim card and it'd still be fantastic value for money.
    That's pretty good alright. Total cost around €500. If only we could be certain it is unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What is the story with the memory on the HTC One X?

This review: http://eurodroid.com/2012/04/05/htc-one-x-review/ shows just 2GB of memory for Apps.

What is the story with the rest of the memory - is it treated like an SD card (so apps can be moved to it).

Yep its partitioned. GS2 is the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shamrok wrote: »
    That's pretty good alright. Total cost around €500. If only we could be certain it is unlocked.

Looking at that deal the 19.41 has no data allowance,

net up is 24.41, still good though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ooter

Bought one of these today,couple of things I've noticed is that there's no android market on it (or at least I can't find it) and liveonlinefooty doesn't work.:(

ooter wrote: »
    Bought one of these today,couple of things I've noticed is that there's no android market on it (or at least I can't find it) and liveonlinefooty doesn't work.:(

Android market has changed to Google Play (sorry if you knew this ;))

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Android market has changed to Google Play (sorry if you knew this ;))

Didn't know that,can't seem to find that either..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Got to play around with both of these in town and I'm really tempted by the X. The One S feels a lot nicer in the hand, but the screen is poor relative to the X. I'd agree with another poster in that the grey X doen't look that great, the white model really pops in comparison. Also slightly disappointed by the feel of the X, it feels somewhat cheap compared to the the Lumia 800, but certainly not bad.

I'd get over the ugly grey and not so great feel for that screen, which really is fantastic; although, somewhat worryingly, the display unit in Meteor on Patrick's St. has a very noticeable 2cm yellow area on the left side of the screen. Machine gunning the camera was great as well and photos didn't seem to suffer at all. Sense didn't bug we either, but I really wish stock was an option out of the box.

I was also expecting it to be bigger, the galaxy note has totally screwed my perceptions of what a large phone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ooter wrote: »
    Didn't know that,can't seem to find that either..

this auto replaced the market symbol on my phone there last week - i don't like it

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLpkjGV9HQ6KBBD7JaMkN5TgyDp7SyLMGILCLsDCAl7KcsYOGi9w

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mine is now rooted and had a version of Revolution HD running on it! :D

HTC hub seems to be the market but I can't find a search function which is very annoying.
    Installed skyfire and liveonlinefooty works on that,don't know why it wont work on the stock browser.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

HTC hub is a different app,the market should be there as the play store as its on the one s i got.

ofcork wrote: »
    HTC hub is a different app,the market should be there as the play store as its on the one s i got.

Cheers,have it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Got to play around with both of these in town and I'm really tempted by the X. The One S feels a lot nicer in the hand, but the screen is poor relative to the X. I'd agree with another poster in that the grey X doen't look that great, the white model really pops in comparison. Also slightly disappointed by the feel of the X, it feels somewhat cheap compared to the the Lumia 800, but certainly not bad.

That's what I felt as well, as another poster said it could be a demo model thing, as I was under the impression that the phone had a matt finish. I did think the white one looked great, but I preferred the look and feel of the S. All of that said, the screen on the S just does not cut it for a high end (and make no mistake, the specs of the S are top of the tree), compared to the SGS II, ONEx and the iPhone. If you have never owned one of these devices, no big deal, but if you have it may be a deal breaker - as it was for me.

• Advertisement

bd250110 wrote: »
    All of that said, the screen on the S just does not cut it for a high end (and make no mistake, the specs of the S are top of the tree), compared to the SGS II, ONEx and the iPhone.

It's not quite that clear cut, the S pips the X on some benchmarks, and vice versa on others, as you can see on the benchmark results from the review of the One X on The Verve:
    HTC_One_X_review___The_Verge___Benchmark.png
    Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919202/htc-one-x-review

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

purchased on prepay from meteor. Cost 560 and is unlocked. Have my 02 sim in now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

beanian wrote: »
    purchased on prepay from meteor. Cost 560 and is unlocked. Have my 02 sim in now
    Were you able to buy in store? They would only try sell me a bill pay one in store said I had to buy online for a pre pay model.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

yeah picked it up instore, Meteor in Santry

beanian wrote: »
    yeah picked it up instore, Meteor in Santry
    Cool, must try in a different store tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Had a look at the dummy model of the one x in carphone warehouse. It's very big but very thin. The one s was there also. The size suited me more I think. I dunno what to do!

V9 wrote: »
    Had a look at the dummy model of the one x in carphone warehouse. It's very big but very thin. The one s was there also. The size suited me more I think. I dunno what to do!

Both great phones, screen on the X is immeasurably better than the S. Size vs screen quality!

Both great phones, screen on the X is immeasurably better than the S. Size vs screen quality!
    Screen quality for me. I was actually surprised how comfortable the X felt in the hand despite its size. The only minor quibble I could see was I think I would have preferred to see the lock button on the side of the phone rather than the top. Don't think it will put me off getting one though. :)

Screen quality for me. I was actually surprised how comfortable the X felt in the hand despite its size. The only minor quibble I could see was I think I would have preferred to see the lock button on the side of the phone rather than the top. Don't think it will put me off getting one though. :)

Im in the same position unsure on which to buy, battery life is a big concenr for me and has me moving towards the One S at the moment.

But then the X has NFC potential....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Holding off rooting it as I don't think theres a full S-OFF root available yet.

Advertisement