Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Thanks for the review pamg. I am upgrading from a desire so really looking forward to getting it in my hands.

The only concern I have could be this, as I am also porting from Vodafone to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

None whatsoever. The phone itself isn't locked or branded and in all respects it's the same as a sim-free phone save for an EMobile/Meteor sticker on the back of the box with the IMEI number.
    :eek: Would you reckon it's the same from Meteor? What's their branding like usually? (O2 man so no experience)

Anyone else who bought from Meteor? What's the branding like, and most importantly, the simlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

BeciMester wrote: »
    :eek: Would you reckon it's the same from Meteor? What's their branding like usually? (O2 man so no experience)

Anyone else who bought from Meteor? What's the branding like, and most importantly, the simlock?
    I'm 99.9% certain it'll be the exact same.

The box label said "Meteor / eMobile HTC One X White". Seeing as they're the same company, i'm almost certain that their stock originates from the same distributor so the odds of Meteor's One X being any different to eMobile's One X is slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Just bought a white One X from Emobile. Typing from it now :)

First impressions of the phone are very positive.

Did u get Beats headphones with the phone? thanks

cais wrote: »
    Did u get beats headphones with the phone? thanks
    Nope. Just tangle-free HTC headphones. A bit of a pity but i've got a pair of decent AKG headphones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Nope. Just tangle-free HTC headphones. A bit of a pity but i've got a pair of decent AKG headphones anyway.

Thanks. Thinking of getting One X myself. Any comments on battery life?

cais wrote: »
    Thanks. Thinking of getting One X myself. Any comments on battery life?
    I haven't used it enough to know for certain but at the moment i'd say it's very marginally better than the original Desire. So in other terms... about a day of moderate use.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Battery life
    Seems to be more or less the same as the Desire (With perhaps a bit less power draw at standby). That said, I've had it for less than eight hours at this stage so I can't say for certain.
    Any update here? As you may be aware, a few users on XDA complain about terrible battery life, with the screen being the main culprit. If it performs on par with my Desire (right now down to 43%, 15h 25m on battery with 2h 30m screen time, Wifi/3G constantly on, syncing 5 gmail accounts) I'm a happy bunny. :)
    Any chance you can find out your CID?

Can't wait for the first AOSP ROMs to turn up. :cool:

Edit: damn, this is what happens when one gets distracted while typing a reply... :o

No update on the battery life (I still haven't even fully charged the phone yet). As for the CID, it's HTC__001 so it's as good as sim-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

No update on the battery life (I still haven't even fully charged the phone yet). As for the CID, it's HTC__001 so it's as good as sim-free.
    I'm getting about 12 hours battery life at the moment and that's without excessive usage. Hoping it gets a bit better after a few discharge cycles.

How did you find your CID out of interest?

• Advertisement

Restarted the phone in FASTBOOT mode and then used the command "fastboot getvar cid"...

I then realised that someone released an app called "CID getter" that does it all for you without needing fastboot :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

A couple of screengrabs of the battery usage before the phone died last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hi. i currently use Pulse RSS reader and notice how its very very slow retrieving updates and adding new rss feeds when using my wifi.

when i use my 3g connection via T mobile, its fine?

Chrome browser seems fine on wifi, so does gmail, But i notice that even facebook and tweetcaster is very very slow using it via wifi.

Any suggestions?.

I tried tweaking my netgear router by reserving a local IP for my device and still diddnt work. im with"BeThere" internet.

The signal strength is max bars according to the device and my internet connection on my pc's are fast and acting normal. i am using a netgear DG834GT router.

Thanks in advance

Currently outside. Battery drain is about 10% an hour with moderate use on low brightness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ziggie

More confused than ever now. Had decided more or less on the S but had a hands on in store yesterday and the X didn't feel all that much bigger. Battery life is the another deciding factor between the two. I'm coming from a Desire so I thought the screen size might of been a problem but honestly, the both feel great in hand.
    Decisions decisions!

7:30 hours of moderate use on automatic brightness and it's still got 53% left. On standby it seems to take half an hour to go down 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ziggie wrote: »
    More confused than ever now. Had decided more or less on the S but had a hands on in store yesterday and the X didn't feel all that much bigger. Battery life is the another deciding factor between the two. I'm coming from a Desire so I thought the screen size might of been a problem but honestly, the both feel great in hand.
    Decisions decisions!

As much as I like the feel of the One S, I think I'd opt for an Xperia S over it. On three it's 20euro cheaper, has 16GB more storage and crucially has a 720p LCD over the qHD pentile AMOLED of the One S.

Someone on XDA managed to get their hands on an AT&T development One X with the dual core S4 processor and they benchmarked it. The results are fairly poor, it's only marginally better than than the Galaxy S2 in one benchmark and falls behind the likes of the ASUS transformer prime in another.

The S4-powered One X is on the left. My Tegra 3-powered One X is on the right.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=990755&d=13339077736911473826_4950f9533f_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

BeciMester wrote: »
    Would you be so kind and test it with another SIM card if possible? I spoke to a very helpful lad in CPW Blanch and he told me all high tier phones come locked.

Confirmed unlocked using Vodafone sim. So that's from CPW for anyone wanting to get one, still poor phone signal though...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

A couple of screengrabs of the battery usage before the phone died last night.

Thanks for posting this. If anyone else can do the same or let us know good or bad reports. I want this phone so bad but I'm just not prepared to jump in until I'm sure about the battery life. I was just away on a weekend there, not using my phone all that much, bit of texting, internet, mostly maps every hour or so, only a tiny bit of GPS, and I was still chewing through almost two batteries a day. Being able to swap them is fantastic but no such luxury with the One X/S.

Any reports from people with more than just moderate usage, but lots of calls & internet usage - would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

As long as I can get as much out of it's battery as I currently do with my desire (or near enough), I'll be happy enough!

After a day of use yesterday, here are some observations.

All of the following were observed with screen brightness set to auto:
    With 3G on and multiple applications syncing and with music playing (And the screen being turned on between each song to change...), the battery drains by about 10% an hour.

On battery with 3G on and multiple applications in the background, playing a fairly resource-intensive game (GTA III) for five minutes drained the battery by about 2%.

Messing with the camera for five minutes (To be specific, taking a 30s long slow motion video, taking a 1080p video for 1 minute and taking snapshots during both videos and applying effects to the photos afterwards) the battery drained by 4%.

On the whole, i'd say the phone is no worse than my HTC Desire. Considering my Desire was running a custom rom/kernel and had SetCPU undervolting and throttling the CPU and the fact that the One X is still stock I have to say i'm fairly happy with the battery life. There's also an OTA update that apparently improves battery life so i'm sure that with a bit of modification the phone's battery life can be improved upon.

Cheers PAMG!

Will definitely be picking this up once I get some cash in the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: Actually, what colour do you have?

White. The texture of the material they used for the phone seems more suited to white rather than grey.

White. The texture of the material they used for the phone seems more suited to white rather than grey.

How are you finding it for scratches/colour transfer from jean pockets? A couple of reviews mentioned a few problems.

How are you finding it for scratches/colour transfer from jean pockets? A couple of reviews mentioned a few problems.
    No issues yet but i'm getting a pouch for it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The S4-powered One X is on the left. My Tegra 3-powered One X is on the right.

For a laugh I ran the same program on my One S (which has the S4 chip):
    2012_04_09_144509_thumb.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone have any feedback of the loudness of the speaker and the loudspeaker? Some phones are hard to hear in a noisy bar etc - very annoying, and I use loudspeaker at home sometimes - how is the quality/loudness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Hi
    About to end 18 month Vodafone contract on my HTC Desire HD and looking to see what is best plan/network/value. Like the Desire but battery life is breaking my heart, lucky to get 2 hours video playback before it starts screaming about low battery.
    Switching off data/wifi/gps/screen brightness/2G only offer a little better battery life, but still same problem with "big screen + small battery = always have an AC & DC adapter close at hand.)

I like the HTC OneX, have handled the non-functioning store demo and read some of the online reviews (5 hours video playback, at full brightness? That's more like it!) but now problem is, which provider to use?

I'm currently with Vodafone, like their coverage and customer care (big "thanks" to Dwayne!) but before I jump into another 18 month contract (Hello 2014!), comparing what the competition offers.

Is anyone reading this on Meteor and has a smart phone? I ask as, at the moment, Meteor offer the best "bang for the buck" with voice, texts & data package. But having never used any network excpt from Vodafone for last 15 years, wary of coverage claims ,data policy and customer care.

Also, one of the complaints I hear from smartphone users I know, mainly aimed at 3, is the slow OS update for the handsets (know some people still waiting for Gingerbread!)

This is the specific Meteor Bill Pay for OneX URL which looks the best;
    https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/htc-one-x

-Handset €199.99, monthly Bill Pay €40.66*/€50.83 in store, 18 months, 400 min, 400 texts,2 GB, Free Meteor calls & texts

Any comments, suggestions welcome.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Advertisement