Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Lads for those who have the one x, have you gone with grey or white???

And does the white one mark easy?

Any pics and stats of batt life?

Any complaints?

What price plans did people go with, anybody on meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Had a play with the S and X today. Like the X, Love the S.

The X is cool, but i mean you cant see much cause all the improvements are under the hood, the design i think isnt as good as the S either.

Tbh I think the S is the one to go for, the screen is amazing on the S, so is the build quality and feels great in the handa and its really really thin and light, even though its quite hard to get your head around how long the phone is in the start you get used to it. Though i can see a good reason for that, it makes it better for watching widescreen movies and makes the phone not as wide, so its easier to grip in hand.

As said the One X is cool and all but im mainly impressed by the S. Size wise the X isnt as big as I thought it would be, its just a tad bit smaller than my Titan which seemed to have made a world of difference, a lot lighter too. If this is the way the form factor and design carries on for the HTC Titan's upgrade model, I might not be too scared to go for a 4.7" screen phone again. SLCD2 isnt as mind blowing as i was expecting it to be, its somewhere close to my Titan (a lot better than the sensation) but its still miles behind the One S (dont really care about the retina ooh ahh)

The One S is about 250 ppi which is fine for most folks id guess.

If they had the One S running WP7 they would have me sold on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Re: real-world tests for the One X, this has a pretty good video overview.
    Also, one of the US sites tested using a video loop and got 5 hours playback with 100% screen brightness! (owning a Desire HD, this is easily 2.5 better than I can only dream of).
    http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/htc-one-x-review-video

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Is NFC actually being used for anything yet or down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Skerries wrote: »

File transfers and payments in some places.
    You can buy nfc tags pretty cheap and use something like NFC Task Launcher from the Play Store to configure them and put them places like in your car/nightstand to activate different things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

At the moment, no but and BIG but, the scope for this to take off for micro payments is massive. Ex: paying for bus, fast food, taxi etc. NFC has been used in Japan for years and massively successful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLFW6ed4jA

The problem is that in the west, the big credit card providers (Visa, Mastercard) are concerned that this will take away from their core business.

This is the official NFC video demo for the Nexus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcOz9CKQnPM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

paul9mm wrote: »
    At the moment, no but and BIG but, the scope for this to take off for micro payments is massive. Ex: paying for bus, fast food, taxi etc. NFC has been used in Japan for years and massively successful.
    I agree, but how long did it take for us to get chip n pin, never mind integrated tickets :-)
    I'll hazard a guess that nfc will not be prevalent for anything other than personal projects / deployment for the time it takes the one x/slr to become "outdated".
    Obviously fine for those developing the concepts, but for me anyway, It'll not be a deal breaking ommission from a spec sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Idleater wrote: »
    I agree, but how long did it take for us to get chip n pin, never mind integrated tickets :-)
    I'll hazard a guess that nfc will not be prevalent for anything other than personal projects / deployment for the time it takes the one x/slr to become "outdated".
    Obviously fine for those developing the concepts, but for me anyway, It'll not be a deal breaking ommission from a spec sheet.
    Good points, but as BOI have launched a visa card with NFC built in, it might not be quite as far away as you may think...
    ... I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just bought a white One X from Emobile. Typing from it now :)

First impressions of the phone are very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

First impressions of the phone are very positive.

Second that...

Noticeable lighter than my previous phone (original Desire), very responsive and snappy, ICS is lovely as well.

Being paranoid about the battery at the moment, but will see how it fares over the next few days.

Also want to look into getting some sort of grips for this phone... the white casing is reminding me of the HTC hero and how slippy it was. I don't want a case however, some maybe some form of adhesive rubber strips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Typing this from my new One X aswell. First impressions are very positive, love the 720p screen.

Moving from.the desire hd my one niggle is the moving around of the buttons. I'm sure ill get used to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Are any of these unlocked?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Bought the x in CPW yesterday on 3, but no branding whatso ever, on phone or box, so think it's unlocked.Loved the phone at first, but think I'll have to return it as the phone reception is abysmal, I. Have no coverage most of the time. Upgraded from a galaxy s which had great coverage, I'm in all the usual places so I know what I should be getting. I'm actually connected to a 3 galaxy ace by WiFi which im using to send this message..... Totally gutted and disappointed....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

Seriously thinking of upgrading to the One X from my Desire HD. Just wondering if any Irish users are having the problems being experienced in other countries, particularly the screen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1578503

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Got my X delivered yesterday and loving it so far. It's fairly quick and the screen is lovely.

Only worry so far is battery life. The screen seems to be chewing through the battery at a hellish rate. How are others finding the battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Had a bit of a hands on with this yesterday at the Three store in Dundrum.

Have to say what blew me away right away was the screen, have never seen anything that magnificent on a phone!

The UI is very very smooth too, but then again my current phone is a Desire, so I suppose it wouldn't be hard to beat that! Wasn't as big as I was expecting either, fit nicely in the hand!

The model I tried was the charcoal grey one, didn't look quite as nice as the white one I've seen in reviews, but I get the impression it's be alot easier to keep clean/in good nick.

Will probably be getting this in the next couple of weeks when I inspect the finances after my birthday, only hard decision is what colour to get!

EDIT: A question for those who bought them; Did it come bundled with Beats headphones? Saw on Engadget there that HTC are ending the bundle offer. Need a new pair of headphones and Beats aren't a terrible option....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I played with the two too and the screen is lovely on the X. I compared text images and video.
    I went for the s though as I prefer the size and finish. The screen is better than my desire so I still have room to be wowed with the next round of updates.
    Both were equally super smooth to use, and pretty well matched from the benchmarks I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Bought the x in CPW yesterday on 3, but no branding whatso ever, on phone or box, so think it's unlocked.
    Would you be so kind and test it with another SIM card if possible? I spoke to a very helpful lad in CPW Blanch and he told me all high tier phones come locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

BeciMester wrote: »
    Would you be so kind and test it with another SIM card if possible? I spoke to a very helpful lad in CPW Blanch and he told me all high tier phones come locked.

Yeah no problem, won't be until tomorrow as won't get my hands on a Vodafone micro sim until then.

I can confirm that the One X being sold by EMobile is unlocked.

• Advertisement

Oh damm, I forgot it uses microsim... So I still have to keep a second phone around if I visit my home country. And this brings me to the conclusion that I don't even really need it unlocked. I can sit back and wait for the gurus to find a way to home unlock. :)

BTW I could ask the provider to unlock it for me if I'm in a contract anyway. Would they do it if I tell them I'm going for a holiday abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

What's the loudspeaker like on the One X? I use tunein radio quite a bit on the desire HD but the loudspeaker sounds very tinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

What's the loudspeaker like on the One X? I use tunein radio quite a bit on the desire HD but the loudspeaker sounds very tinny.

Didnt try it on either of the phones, but HTC has picked up their game regarding audio quality with the Sensation, Titan, Radar and so forth, i pressume they carried this on to the One series as sound previously was burtal on the Desire, HD2, HD7.

Finally back home so here's a short review so to speak.

I'm currently on the Meteor 200 Mins / 200 Texts / 1GB data for €15 deal and wanted to stay on it. Instead of upgrading on Meteor or buying prepay (Minimum cost of the phone would be €559 with no service or €660 with service) I decided to take the phone on contract from EMobile. On the select 100 plan I paid €279 up front and will pay €20 for the next twelve months. Long story short, I got the phone (Unlocked and unbranded) and 12 months worth of phone service for €519 (Could have saved €10 if I bought online but impatience got the better of me). Considering I gave the new line to my sister for half price (I.e. i'm only paying €10 a month instead of €20) I'm actually only going to end up paying €399 for the phone. Probably the cheapest possible way of getting the phone.

Anyway, as for the phone itself i'm incredibly pleased. In my eyes, it's the first true successor to the original Desire. It feels amazing in your hand, it looks fantastic in white, it's incredibly thin and weighs next to nothing.

First of all, let me begin with the screen as it's easily the biggest selling point of the phone. Videos and pictures don't do it justice. It's simply one of the best screens i've ever seen on any device. Viewing angles are virtually unlimited and the colours are saturated without being inaccurate like an AMOLED. Subjectively, the screen looked to be of higher quality than any of the other high end smartphones on display including the 4S and Galaxy Nexus.

As for the speakers, they're vastly superior to the original Desire. They remind me of my old Nokia N95. There isn't a huge amount of bass response (Surprising considering the beats logo right above the micro drilled speaker grille) but the sound they produce is clear, not at all tinny and certainly acceptable for a phone.

Gaming performance and general phone performance is second to none and hugely better than my old Desire (Which despite its age is still a relatively powerful phone). The camera is superb (Almost as good as a bridge camera) in the outdoors and good lighting conditions but gets a bit too noisy for my liking in low light (Although the LED flash tends to prevent the noise from becoming too big of an issue). 1080p video is smooth and fairly good quality too.

Still haven't used the phone long enough to say any more but overall (Until now) i'm very happy with the phone.

If anyone has any specific questions or tests, i'd be glad to help.

Thanks PAMG, as a fellow Desire user I loved to read your review. :) I've felt the same way about upgrading, the 1X is the first phone I consider to be a big enough jump from the Desire to make it worth replacing. I've yet to decide which provider to go with, but as I'll need a new contract and wish to move away from O2 I'm looking at Meteor ATM. How do you find their 3G coverage and which areas of Dublin do you have experience with? Also I'd love to see more comparison with the Desire, in any field, just to know what to expect... :D I've yet to handle a working model, but the dummies I held were impressive, design-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Very nice review partyatmygaff. I'd love one but will have to stick with my sensation for the moment.

Meteor's 3G coverage is fairly good within Dublin and in large population centres around the country (Not necessarily only the cities). In the less densely populated areas of the country, you'll have to make do with EDGE. Within Dublin, I haven't yet found a single area (Barring a corner of my room for some odd reason) where I can't get 3G coverage of some description.

As for comparison to the Desire, i'll try and cover a few points.

The phone itself
    The materials feel just as premium as the Desire. The finish and fit is of very high quality and the only complaint I would have is the gap between the screen and the phone body is a tiny bit too big for my liking. As for the screen quality, there is a *massive* difference. The Desire's dual-touch pentile matrix AMOLED looks dull, vague and dim in comparison to the One X's fully multi-touch SLCD2.

Camera
    Vastly superior to the Desire but not as revolutionary as HTC made it out to be. It's superb in good lighting conditions but still suffers from noise issues when the lighting is less than ideal. It's not going to replace an SLR but it'd certainly hold it's own against the likes of a mid range point and shoot or low end bridge camera.

Sound
    Beats audio (As on the HP Touchpad) doesn't add much to music. It essentially just boosts the lower frequencies (With maybe a touch of treble boost). It's not a bad effect as such and it works for some music but not all but overall the biggest thing that Beats adds to the phone is the pretty logo on the back. All that said, the rest of the software is far superior to the Desire and as I said earlier the external speaker is miles ahead of the Desire.

Performance
    I've had the phone run multiple 3D games in the background while playing music and browsing the internet and it didn't even stutter let alone slow down. To keep it short, you won't be disappointed, it's blazing fast and it outclasses most if not all phones currently available on the market (Let alone the Desire).

Battery life
    Seems to be more or less the same as the Desire (With perhaps a bit less power draw at standby). That said, I've had it for less than eight hours at this stage so I can't say for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Waiting for mine.
    Just wondering is there any "emobile" branding on the phone ?

Waiting for mine.
    Just wondering is there any "emobile" branding on the phone ?
    None whatsoever. The phone itself isn't locked or branded and in all respects it's the same as a sim-free phone save for an EMobile/Meteor sticker on the back of the box with the IMEI number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear. :D

Advertisement