Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What is that formal greeting at the beginning of some TV programmes, some presenters will say something like 'de barr a meas thú' or Debra meathasa phonetically?

Ive always wondered and could never quite catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Korrayls

Conas atá sibh go léir?

Táim ag lorg cabhair le tattoo nua atá me chun a fháil.

táim ag iarraigh aistriu an nath seo go dtí Gaeilge: "MAY LOVE CONNECT US,FAITH DIRECT US, AND GOD PROTECT US"

Cad a cheapainn sibh faoin aistriúchan seo? "Go nascfar an grá sinn, go ndíreoidh ár gcreideamh sinn agus go gcosnóidh dia sinn"

b'fhéidir go mbaigh duine éigeann eile in ann aistriúchan níos fearr a dhéanamh.

I obviously want it to be as unique and accurate as possible without grammatical errors etc...

Apologies for my rusty irish, I havn't spoken really since i left school many moons ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would capitalise Dia. Suppose it's a matter of choice though.

You could try ringing the Translation Department in the Dáil. I'm sure someone there would be happy to help - they might even know some almost equivalent sayings too which you could consider.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Hi. Is Cúirt Róisín = Black Court?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I guess it means, 'Rose Court'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We have a steep hilly field that is called the bru - presumably with a fada on the u. What does translate as into English?

• Advertisement

I thought it would mean steep or face or something like that. Went onto Google and found this relating to Old Irish - edge/bank/brink makes sense to me. Does it tie in?

Your words are classed as 'Irish' as opposed to 'Old Irish'...???

brú‎ (Irish, Old Irish, Icelandic): meaning, origin, definition - WordSense Dictionary

brú (Old Irish)

Origin & history I

From Proto-Celtic *brusū‎.

Noun

brú (fem.)

1. bellyabdomen
    2. breast
    3. womb
    Descendants

Origin & history II

Noun

brú

1. edgebrink
    2. bank

The old Irish of "edge, brink, bank" makes sense in your case.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't think it's old Irish. Teanglann.ie gives it as "brink"/"bank"/"verge" depending on the context (in English):

brú2, f. 1. Lit: (In phrase) Ar bhrú, on the brink (of). Ar bhrú abhann, on the bank of a river. Ar bhrú éaga, on the verge of death. 2 = BROINN.

Logainm.ie says that "brú" has lots of meanings in relation to placenames also so basically it could mean anything but it would make sense if there is a stream/river near your field that it has the "bank" meaning. Also to note that Brú na Boinne is the Boyne Valley so it also has that meaning.

So it could actually be spelt bhrú rather than brú? I've never seen it spelt before this as it has just been talked about. Thanks to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Could anyone help me to translate this phrase into Irish: I hope next year is an enjoyable and successful year for our club. I was thinking something like: "Tá súil agam go mbeidh bliain rathúil agus taitneamhach romhaibh le haghaidh gach duine inár gclub an bhliain seo chugainn" but my Irish is a bit rusty at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi howareyakid. Perhaps this?

"Tá súil agam gur bliain thaitneamhach agus rathúil í an bhliain seo chugainn dár gclub."

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Thanks Worztron! The deadline for which I needed this phrase has since passed, but thanks for your help anyway! Need to do a bit of a refresher on my Irish before too long!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jabber81

Can anyone please confirm the Gaeilge spelling for -

Made in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dinjo99

Déanta in Éirinn.

Anyone remember the Swedish wooden hangers with the following pressed into them? 😀

An tSualainn Tír a Dhéanta

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

The teacher this week had "I worked" on the Irish spellings list as "D'obrigh mé".

That looked wrong to me based on my long distant memory of how I pronounced it when I was in school and because of caol le caol, leathain le leathain.

The internet seemed to agree with me (D'oibrigh) and I told our daughter to check with the teacher today.

The teacher said that Obair was an irregular verb and D'obrigh was correct.

Is this one of those cases where different forms are used in different parts of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Are you sure?

I remember An tSeapain an tír a dhéanta. In the 50's

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, d'obrigh is wrong and the teacher is trying to cover up a (minor) mistake and in the process making things worse.

Obair isn't an irregular verb but even if it was it wouldn't have any bearing on the caol le caol agus leathan le leathan rule, as you say. The correct spelling is "d'oibrigh". I would pronounce that "dye-bree" but other pronunciations are available.

For Japanese wooden hangers? 🤔 I'm pretty sure my Swedish recollection is correct, but it's not from the fifties. 😀

Either way, it's not something you would see on foreign products sold here these days.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SlimTrustworthy

“Life is a joke..”

Most accurate translation?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Níl ann sa saol ach cur i gcéill.

- mise, 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

What would be the translation to Irish for Sligo Rovers nickname "The Bit O' Red" or The Bit of Red?

Google gives me "an beagán dearg" but ya know..

Thanks

Advertisement