Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

How accurate is this, why are CSO figures so wrong if so? CSO officially estimate 20,000 Brazilians in Ireland, Brazil embassy says at least 70,000 with many more planning to come......If the scale of underreporting is this vast for just one country what is the total foreign born population in Ireland, way higher than the reported 18%

Also this week the government have further relaxed our employment visa regulations to bring in more people..

But they are, by law Irish. They are also by law by virtue of their birth American. They can describe themselves whatever way they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You're conflating Irish citizenship (which subject to certain conditions can automatically pass to people born outside Ireland) with Irish ethnicity. Its not the same thing at all - people can hold Irish citizenship without any Irish descent at all. Your cousins may be of Irish descent, but ethnicity is organic and is subject to change. Your cousins can identify anyway they please. If they identify primarily as being Americans, or Irish Americans, and are recognised as such and their Irish heritage is just an interesting family history lesson then clearly they wont be Irish as in the meaning of Irish people who identify as being Irish primarily. Your cousins or their descendants will eventually assimilate as Americans, whatever that means then. Irish people on the other hand will follow a different path.

This is why we don't have an ethnic Scandinavian minority in Ireland. Ethnic Scandinavians settled here, but they were assimilated into the Irish over time and stopped identifying as anything else.

But back to the original point - Ireland is the only homeland the Irish people have. Once it is recklessly gambled away through mass migration, the Irish people will have no homeland, no political expression of their people. It's difficult to reconcile advocates of mass migration desire for this outcome with any sort of positive opinion towards Irish people.

I'm clearly not 🙄

They are Irish citizens, by law and they are also Irish ethnicity.

when would you consider someone to be no longer of Irish ethnicity? What if one grandparent was not irish? Or one great grandparent?

And why would it matter?

Irish people give away their homeland, hilarious

Whenever they fail to identify as being primarily Irish, or aren't recognised by others as being primarily Irish then they'll stop being Irish. The latter can happen quite a bit faster. When Irish people don't agree that an American or an Englishman with an Irish grandmother can credibly describe themselves as being Irish. They'll always have some Irish descent of course, but eventually that becomes about as important as saying someone is descended from western hunter gatherers.

You finding the prospect of mass migration denying Irish people a homeland amusing doesn't do much to convince anyone that you have positive views of the Irish people.

• Advertisement

I am Irish, not sure why you would think I don't have positive views of Irish people.

Your view of Irish people however, that they should be some kind of a pure bred race, with no mixing with other nationalities, is not what I or others believe. Thankfully!

You might then show some concern for Irish people, but you don't seem to.

As for the 'pure bred race' bollocks. Have I not said again and again that the Irish have assimilated other peoples throughout history? Have I not stressed again and again how ethnicity is organic and changes over time? Only on the last page I mentioned the ethnic Scandinavians being assimilated by the Irish (itself a composite of Gaelic and foreign peoples/influences) and your cousins changing ethnicity to become Americans. Heal thyself.

The reality is I see ethnicity more clearly than you do. You think your cousins Irish ethnicity endures through their pure breeding alone. But equally you'd do mental gymnastics to claim that recent arrivals to Ireland without a drop of Irish descent had left their ethnic heritage behind them at the arrivals gate and were as ethnically Irish as anyone else. There isn't any principle or foundation to your view - it is just whatever is expedient and convenient to the argument you're making at the time. But again, as I pointed out to One Eyed Jack, this isn't your fault - you've absorbed the mass media narratives so of course you regurgitate them. Were the mass media offering better narratives, you would regurgitate those instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

‘Scuse me? No principle or foundation to my view, coming from the poster who in the very same post, declares that ethnicity is organic and changes over time, but one can’t declare themselves Irish if they are or of Irish descent or they are recognised by the State as being Irish, and anyone who finds your nonsense about “mass immigration denying Irish people a homeland” amusing, is sufficient evidence for you to suggest that they don’t think much of Irish people? Not their fault because they’ve absorbed mass media narratives?

How is that anything other than mental gymnastics in order to maintain your position? In spite of having explained to you at length the foundations of my position which have nothing to do with mass media, you still declare otherwise.

Hell I didn’t even bother to address your idea that Christianity is pretty much dead in Ireland even though it’s still pervasive in every facet of Irish society from education to hospitalisation, Comhaltas, GAA, Scouts, and still you insist on maintaining the narrative that you care about Irish society when you really aren’t all that clued in at all. The best argument you can come up with against something which isn’t even happening, is what Irish society might look like at some point in the next millennium!

Jack - Lets just put it down to you not understanding that someone can consider a topic like ethnic identity to be complex and mutable while at the same time drawing some conclusions about good practise. For example, how a person might struggle to define the difference between a sea and an ocean. But they know wearing a cement life jacket while swimming in either is probably a bad idea.

I have no idea where you come up with the idea that I believe people who have arrived here are ethnically irish?

Would you like to point out anywhere that I have suggested that recent arrivals are ethnically irish?

• Advertisement

Do you recognise Ebun Joseph (for example) as being a fellow Irish woman, or a Nigerian? I mean she is at least as much a Nigerian as your cousins are Irish, right?

On reflection, I think our disagreement may be based on a misunderstanding on the terminology: what "Irish" means. You think that your cousins born in a foreign country, raised in a foreign country, living in a foreign country, assimilating to the norms of a foreign country are just as Irish as you are. Maybe that is true.

I can understand perfectly how any individual can consider anything to be complex and mutable while at the same time drawing some conclusions about good practice, so when I apply that to the idea of multiculturalism, it still doesn’t change the idea that multiculturalism is predicated upon the idea of multiple ethnicities and cultures present in any given society.

It’s really not complex at all. The good practices anyone refers to are ideas based entirely upon their own individual perspective, portraying their own interests as being in the interests of everyone in society. It stands to reason that such a person would view anyone who disagrees with them as an enemy of the people.

It’s not exactly a new tactic -

Multiculturalism is the equivalent of going swimming while wearing a cement lifejacket. As I pointed out to you already, God punished and destroyed an overly proud human civilisation with diversity. Be humble, learn from God.

Advocating multiculturalism in the 21st century is the equivalent of watching hundreds, thousands of people drowning in cement life jackets and thinking - no, this time it will be different.

She is Nigerian. Born to Nigerian parents in Nigeria. She is an Irish citizen.

My cousins are Irish, born to Irish parents.

Would you suggest they would be.more Irish if born in Ireland?

And again

I have no idea where you come up with the idea that I believe people who have arrived here are ethnically irish?

Would you like to point out anywhere that I have suggested that recent arrivals are ethnically irish?

Okay, so you don't believe Ebun Joseph is as Irish as you are. We progress.

Even you, an advocate of mass migration make those distinctions. So does everyone else, including Ebun Joseph. That is why multiculturalism (and the mass migration that creates it) is a terrible idea.

Lets face it, Ebun Joseph is in Ireland, affecting the course of the Irish state. She has a higher claim to the future of the Irish people than your cousins do.

No, you were talking about ethnically irish. As I said she is Nigerian, she is also an Irish citizen.

Why would that make multiculturalism a terrible idea? what difference does it make?

What difference does it make if your cousins are American, not Irish?

I didn’t get that the first time either to be honest, the idea of humans being punished with diversity. Questioning anti-immigration narratives is not “advocating multiculturalism”. I already acknowledge that Irish society is comprised of groups of people with their own distinct ethnicity and culture and beliefs and values and so on. For example I don’t share much of your values even though we’re both Irish, and the best explanation you can come up with for the disparity is that I’m the victim of mass media propaganda and I’m not equipped to understand the complexity of your argument.

“Be humble”, my arse, even you know you’re spouting bullshìt at this stage 😏

• Advertisement

The amusing aspect of your reaction is that Jack claimed to be worried he would be dismissed if he revealed his views were religiously based (I don't think they are in the grand scheme of thing). I presume he didn't believe they would be dismissed by his fellow mass migration advocates. Oh well.

It doesn't. They are both. But they can be whatever they want.

You claim to be religious while advocating for mass migration. I just pointed out the religious teaching to demonstrate how your views are not explained by those religious teachings. I don't see any difference between your views, and those of any random advocate of mass migration. They are not all religious, but they all consume and/or are reinforced by mass media.

The latter part of your post reinforces my disagreement that "values based" identities are so weak and why I criticise people who believe migration is okay so long as the migrants are all secular libertarians. While I think we probably do hold a lot of values in common than we realise, we likely disagree on many. We will no doubt focus on our differences. But that does not necessarily contradict us both being Irish and instinctively identifying as Irish over and beyond voting for one party or another. Ethnicity is complex, but it isn't values. It is too broad for that alone.

Oh and drop the pretence of not advocating mass migration while constantly attacking and criticising all views that question mass migration. There are countless threads on this very forum that I don't participate in because I don't have any strong opinion either way. If you are embarrassed to take a stance wholly backed by all the corporate, political and media powers that be then Christ almighty.

I’d fully expect that anyone who isn’t religious isn’t going to regard religious views as legitimate argument. That’s why even I regarded your attempt to appeal to religion as facetious 😏

So why spend so much effort insisting they are Irish? They can be Americans and still your cousins. What was the difference to you that made you argue the difference with strangers that they were Irish, not Americans?

Equally, the reason why I know your views draw more from mass media than religion is how easily you dismiss the bible when it is inconvenient. You would put up more of a defence if the religious text was important. As I said earlier, official Christianity these days is little more than a human rights NGO desperately trying to shrug off the embarrassing baggage of the bible.

I didn't make 'so much' effort insisting they are Irish.

I replied to a poster who claimed that lots of people around the world claim to be Irish, but are not really. It was a question I asked that poster.

I never said they were not American, in fact I said they ARE American. They are also irish.

You made a distinction between Ebun Joseph and yourself earlier. Would you make the same distinction between your cousins and Ebun Joseph? Would you say your American cousins are more Irish than Ebun Joseph?

They are ethnically irish. They are also American citizens.

She is Nigerian. She is also an Irish citizen.

I wouldn't try to make any distinctions between them. Why would I? They are different people, with different backgrounds.

• Advertisement

I explained to you already the foundations of my support for immigrants, and instead of acknowledging that, you point to something else which you imagine is a view I should hold. I’m not responsible for that contradiction, you are, you invented it, not me.

You imagine we hold values in common, I don’t think we do, it’s quite clear we don’t have the same views of immigration, or sovereignty, or any of the values that you’re espousing as though what makes anyone Irish is agreement with your values.

You’re not questioning mass immigration, you’ve already decided it’s detrimental for Irish people. I’m questioning your position on immigration because I think it’s complete nonsense which isn’t backed up by anything other than you having decided it’s detrimental for Irish people already. It’s a self-perpetuating argument.

Advertisement