Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

I want severe controls on migration, down to the bare minimum needed to maintain the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I have no problem non eu migrants coming here but the path eventually leads to welfare and accommodation supplied by the state .

Quite untrue. The most productive, and successful migrant groups come from Asia...

As for Africa, and others, the problem is that education is often dependent on class and financial backgrounds, so those coming from 3rd world nations are often lacking in comparable education with EU standards... but there are many, though, who have achieved a high level of education, or have the skills to be gainfully employed in Ireland.

And that's the key here. Education and employment. Limit immigration to those who have arranged employment before arriving, link their visas to their employment, and have a minimum requirement on educational qualifications. Hell, do what some other countries do, and require immigrants to have 5 or 10k in their banks to show that they have the funds and won't need financial supports.

Sensible immigration controls are important. Blocking out everyone outside the EU is not the answer.

There are two questions there, though:

1) eligibility

2) quantity

I largely agree with your eligibility point, but that says nothing about the volume of migrants entering the country.

And it's the volume that matters to me, far more than eligibility. Volume influences so-called multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is anticulturalism - an ideology that seeks to break up an existing monoculture into a mosaic of irreconcilable cultures and value systems.

I have to do it for visas , to single out a race or group puts me in perilous waters .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wish the gardai were as forceful in prosecuting our own “ cultured “ gang who regularly post videos of them encouraging children as young as 9 to drink pints of Guinness etc , who beat the shite out of their animals- never saw a prosecution yet

who cause fear in rural areas both here and the uk

who drive new vehicles despite no official income etc etc etc

If you feel something should be brought to the attention of gardai, then you should go into a station and being it to their attention.

I largely agree with your eligibility point, but that says nothing about the volume of migrants entering the country

Immigration controls that are specific and enforced would restrict quantity. I've lived in 3rd world countries, working as a teacher. I know the educational quality that is commonplace in many such areas, and it lags behind EU standards by quite a fair margin. Sure, there are some excellent universities, but the vast majority of people never get to go to them. Instead, they're reliant on technical colleges, and universities far down the rankings. Any serious attempt to regulate immigration based on education and useful skills for visas, would take that into consideration.

Think of Australia with it's requirements for visas. Sure, you can get in as a student or for some people, under a working holiday, but for everyone else, it can be quite difficult to match the requirements. I've done it myself twice, and it's not easy. Something similar here would work wonders to limit quantity, while ensuring that the immigrants we do receive don't need Irish education to become useful, with the added advantage of removing workers when they lose their employment.

And it's the volume that matters to me, far more than eligibility. Volume influences so-called multiculturalism

Not really. It's policy that decides that integration and assimilation are negatives that influences multiculturalism. The belief that diversity is a strength, and that having so many divisions based along cultural lines can only be of benefit to the country. The problem isn't volume, although the concentration of migrant population plays into it, but the real issue is the lack of expectation that migrants would adjust to living in the host nation.

China has a huge migrant population.. and I mean it's huge. They come from India, Pakistani, Africa, etc due to incentives in Chinese universities, or the work placement schemes for cheap labor. However, China doesn't have a problem with multiculturalism, because foreign culture has no rights. None. If you want to live long-term in China, you must adjust to living per Chinese culture and their rules. Sure, you can live there for a few years, living as you wish, but inevitably, either when you think of buying property, sending your kids to schools, or whatever, you'll need to start accepting and jumping through the hoops that are there for Chinese people. While you'll never be Chinese, you still have to live (somewhat) like them.

Multiculturalism, in itself, isn't completely negative. We've had multiculturalism in most European nations for centuries. The problem is the shift in thinking that says that foreign culture has just as much importance (and often more important) than the host nations domestic cultures. That the host population must accept and embrace these other cultures, rather than expecting others to conform to the general standards of the host nation.

That's the problem with multiculturalism. We could have productive multiculturalism that was a benefit to the host peoples... but there's no willpower to say, "you want to live here, you live by our culture". Which is a utterly retarded because you'll find that attitude everywhere outside of western nations.

Not really. You just have to justify it logically, and without jumping to racism. It takes longer, but it's very doable. I've done it myself to a limited extent about Muslims previously, but I focused on their culture, and it's effect on host nations, as opposed to being directly racist. Had to appeal once or twice, but again, it's doable if you're willing to put in the effort.

You could say that you didn't want Nigerians being allowed in, due to the crime rates, and the large percentages that end up on welfare. Which would be true... along with the fact that Nigeria has massive resources available to them, so why should we be accepting of their applications, when it would be better if they stayed in Nigeria, bringing about social/economic change, and improving the overall region. There's nothing racist in any of that... although, some people will likely complain, because they complain about everything. Stand by your guns, and argue your points... including to the moderators. I've found that a logical argument will swing any ban if you can point to solid evidence and that you didn't intend to be racist.

But bear in mind, that I, and others, will tackle arguments that specify particular groups, and is... kinda... ignorant. I will anyway. If your post is solid, then, have fun. Better than being silent... which is what the bullying with the complaints is intended. To silence opinions.

• Advertisement

I think he is some prick, and the contempt he shows for Irish peope, his lies, do not bode well for the future should he be allowed stay.. Then imagine the chain migration that will occur. will have a whole family of pricks

Multicultural that succeed historically have a very strong dominating culture that suppressed competetion. Take Rome, Ottomans, Chinese, Mongols.

They succeeded because the subordinate cultures bought into their societies. Take the Chinese for example. The Han Chinese we take as a monolith are actually made up of multiple ethnic groups forged together into one identity during the warring states period(ie ancient history)

Did in the past ref assault- robbery at our place of work( pub)

nothing done as obviously too much work for our gardai as no arrests were made in fact we were brought up on assault charges despite 4 members of staff assaulted, our settled cultured friends waltzed off, our cases were eventually dropped, 2 of our cultured friends had 40 plus convictions between them for larceny, burglary, era etc etc, our country’s too soft and our judiciary is a joke

Clearly a bit more to this story then you are telling us here.

There is no absolute right to free movement of people in EU. You can be refused entry or deported from any eu country due to criminal convictions and can be deported also if you cannot support yourself after 3 months. So cllaiming a social benefit, crime or even begging can and will get you deported in some eu countries. We are too soft here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

Racist paddy stopped this Roma gypo from stealing e1300 worth of champagne and even had the audacity to bring her to court. She's 21 n about to have her fourth kid. Should we just pay this one 100k cash to move out of Ireland? It's gonna cost the taxpayer a lot more over the years.

https://m.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/shoplifter-21-who-hid-15-booze-bottles-under-traditional-dress-claims-discrimination-40978488.html

I have three kids. The oldest one is seven and I'm pregnant as well. So why would I think of doing this?

"I am [worried about going to jail] because my cousin (Vasile) has already been put in jail and for what? For nothing. If I wasn't Romanian this wouldn't happen. I understand there are lots of Romanians giving trouble but that doesn't mean all Romanians are bad.

Ahh yes because everyone seeks to shoplift 15 bottles of booze, and its only the migrants that are prosecuted.

Funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Clearly, and don’t want to be banned so nothing said publicly

I expect you made statements. The troublesome to say the least people made statements and the gardai and the DPP decided they wanted a quiet life free from accusations of racism, without powerful lobby groups hounding them , so avoided prosecuting the criminals and persecuted the working people.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You think he is not telling the truth or do you know he is not?

I think he is not telling the truth. I have given my reasons. Why do you believe he is truthful?

12 EU countries have had their calls for EU funding to help build border walls against new waves of illegal migration rejected by Ursula von der Leyen.

The countries were Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, and Slovakia.

Luxembourg PM, Xavier Bettel said, “I’d be ashamed to see a fence with a sign ‘Financed by the EU’ on it.”

Can we not send the thousands of illegals to Bettel's home town, it might help with the "shame" he is publicly declaring?

These 12 countries need to take a hard stance against this illegal immigration and build the walls without the EU funding.

I'd be interested to see Cyprus with a wall built around it ....

What make you think that . Sorry to disappoint you I am on a full rate contributory pension so you can spare me the rant .

Ahh well, the EU needs to be reformed and reminded that it's an organisation aimed at helping Europe/Europeans. It's not the UN, and shouldn't ever be encouraged to think that it should be.

Cyrus has a great big hard border down the middle of it since the Turkish invasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

You've got a lot of posts in the state benefits forum about how to avoid doing Turas Nua/Tus so I thought you were on jobseekers and getting pushed forward for those schemes.

Advertisement