Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Amnesty International don't exactly have the best history with remaining neutral and unbiased in their opinions. They've become a very political driven organisation. Doubt NATO is much of worry for Poland though.. anything like this is well beyond their mandate.

NATO are on Poland's side here as they should be. Good to see.

Edit to add update from the Guardian:

One Iraqi Kurdish woman told the Guardian that she was brought to Belarus by a travel agency that provided them with flights to Minsk and then a transfer to the EU’s external border. People can be charged €15,000-€20,000 (£12,800-£17,100) when they reach Belarus.

Europe needs to get off it's arse and sort these abuses out, they have been going on for years, hundreds of thousands are entering Europe every year through countless entry points.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Have you walked into an Irish hospital recently ?? You remove all those of African, middle east and Asian heritage and it collapses..

Who are here on skilled labor visas (many of them fixed term contracts), and the vast majority will simply up and leave should they find a better option elsewhere. That's the nature of those with those kind of skill-sets, and don't fall into the same situation as the vast majority of immigration into Ireland.

They also stand outside the area of multiculturalism considering the hours they work and the limited interaction they have with Irish society.. even if they were going to settle here, which few of them will, long-term.

Poland has reported nearly 30,000 illegal border crossings this year, with more than 17,000 coming in October. Many are attempting to flee to Germany, which said it had received more than 6,100 refugees via Poland from Belarus since the beginning of the year.

Absolutely nuts. Thankfully, even the EU are starting to pay attention, although it's a pity their focus is on the political angle rather than the numbers involved. Numbers that are likely to increase over time rather than decline.

• Advertisement

More interesting developments on the Polish border:

Germany called for EU members to “take action” to deal with the deepening crisis. “Poland or Germany can’t handle this alone,” caretaker interior minister Horst Seehofer told the Bild daily.

“We must help the Polish government secure their external border. This would actually be the task of the European Commission. I’m now appealing to them to take action,” he said.

Also from the US State department:

The US state department called on the regime in Belarus to “immediately halt its campaign of orchestrating and coercing irregular migrant flows across its borders into Europe”

This is just one of many many entry points into Europe. Even if this is shut off it'll simply be switched to another area along thousands and thousands of miles of unprotected borders. Europe needs to clamp down hard and also start deporting in order to stop this farce happening. Every year we see hundreds of thousands entering Europe at which stage they know they stand little chance of ever being deported. European taxpayers then are left picking up the tax bill and dealing with any subsequent social consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭seenitall

edited and deleted

This is being orchestrated by Lukashenko, how exactly would it happen somewhere not in the Belarusian border?

Lithuania has now warned that members of terrorist groups have crossed it's Eastern border.

This is just one of many many entry points into Europe. Even if this is shut off it'll simply be switched to another area along thousands and thousands of miles of unprotected borders. Europe needs to clamp down hard and also start deporting in order to stop this farce happening. Every year we see hundreds of thousands entering Europe at which stage they know they stand little chance of ever being deported. European taxpayers then are left picking up the tax bill and dealing with any subsequent social consequences.

Agreed. I think the answer must be to identify various countries outside of Europe whose populations are currently low, their economies are fragile... and then re-route all these immigrants (who don't have the skills/education and background) to contribute effectively to a modern nation, towards these designated countries. It would be cheaper for Europe to support these selected nations with grants and supports, that dealing with the migrants within Europe.

Create a series of buffer nations that can be used to funnel away the attention that Europe attracts, and cannot truly manage. But we really need to start challenging all the bleeding hearts, and dissolve most of the NGOs, replacing them with organisations who are less biased towards the migrants and more interested in protecting European interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭techman1

Well the problem with migration from the ME and Africa is that's its nearly all young males. That bastion of liberalism Trudeau's Canada has a refugee policy that will only allow a gender balanced migration flow, 50% male and 50% female. Another issue is the Muslim ban on non Muslims marrying or dating non Muslim women surely this policy is contra to a healthy multi cultural migration flow.

All of the successful integration of migrants throughout history has been as a result of inter marriage, if there is continuous separate marriages going down generations and artificial prohibitions on natural mixing well then the problems in UK and Europe now playing out wouldn't have happened. We are getting a rare insight into this now with the Bataclan trials going on in Paris now

I clicked on the link. Not a huge deal. Numbers are small. And the process is controlled and they seem like genuine refugees.

I personally have no issue with that. My issue is with the ones who enter illegally, either through people traffickers, or on dodgy student visas, etc.

Von der Leyen gets to sit on a high horse and reject Poland's request for aid, saying the EU "does not fund barbed wire". That's a nice ideal, but tell that to the Polish police on the border who are getting attacked by uprooted trees by the migrants. Sure they are able to protect themselves, but they shouldn't have to waste their time and money on these sort of attacks. The Poles are protecting the EU border, something Von der Leyen secretly wants, but won't admit out loud, in a typical cowardly politician hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh Turkey.

Erdogan has played EU like a fiddle.

He can turn the taps on and off to suit his agenda.

He could stop the rafts or the build up of "refugees" on the Greek border.

He only does so when EU pay him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Good to see Leo redefining what it is to be Irish...

"to me being Irish simply means that you are someone who calls Ireland “home”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Very fast turnaround when the Pols said they’d stick them on buses to Germany. Suddenly the funding is being rushed through.

There was a bus load of German charity workers denied access to the boarder that we’re planning on bringing refugees back to Germany, they turned around when a German official told them they would be charged with a criminal offence. This raises the question of all the NGO vessels in the Mediterranean enabling trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's only anecdotical and from what I've seen myself, but only a very small minority of immigrants actually consider Ireland home. So if that small minority actually consider themselves Irish then no one should tell them otherwise - you can't complain about immigrants not integrating while you question the ones they do.

Complains about Leo answering a question on what being Irish means to him, in an article where people are asked what being Irish means to them.

Couldn't make it up

The Irish government are now involved in the Belarus situation.

The Irish government confirmed on Wednesday it had held talks with aircraft leasing companies about possible sanctions against Belarus.

And according to the Guardian Merkel has appealed to Putin to Intervene.

Hopefully the Polish government hold firm and protect the borders, allowing people in this way will only encourage tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands more to come and chance their arms at gaining access to the EU.

• Advertisement

The Polish border situation is not part of the usual and never-ending migrant crisis, it's something more serious, the poles are worried that Lukashenko is trying to provoke and escalate it to an armed conflict.

It's connected though. Look at the amount of Illegal immigration that Poland faces yearly, regardless of the current crisis. This merely brings public attention to something that has been going on for years.

It remains a situation (even if Lukashenko is slapped down) that needs attention, beyond the weak responses of allowing them in. It's only going to increase in the future.. it's not as if the nations bordering Europe are particularly stable, never mind the other nations beyond them. Besides, I saw a report of people flying in to Russia, just so they could attempt crossing the Polish border.. or any of the Eastern European borders, all with the same desire to immigrate to Germany.

The Guardian ran an article the other day where Iraqi's were paying €20,000 to Belarusian tourist operators to fly them to Minsk, at which stage the Belarus government bused them to the Polish border to gain entry into the EU.

Belarus now has flights every week from Iraq and Syria. It's an absolute farce. Undoubtedly there are geo-political games at play here as well but the EU needs to stand firm on both. The NGOs roaring and shouting about asylum seekers need to be completely ignored.

I've a bad feeling that Germany and the EU and maybe Ireland by extension will accept some of these people in order to resolve the situation. It will send an awful message to the entire Middle East and Africa on how to scam the system.

It does look like Belarus is looking for shots to be fired to escalate things.

Well, since they desire to immigrate to Germany or France or UK or wherever else just not Poland, it's not Poland that's facing illegal immigration :) in any case you are right about it needing attention, I can't understand how can EU leaders condemn Poland for securing EU borders even if that means barbed wire and using deadly force if it really comes down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I agree.

The number seems to be 6,900, based on these two programmes.

IRPP = 4,000 and IRPP 2 = 2,900

I also agree with you that the bogus AS and student visas are a problem.

Well, as for barbed wire and deadly force, there hasn't been any deadly force. The barbed wire makes sense since in many cases where there has been normal wire fencing, it's been cut through by mobs, with them throwing missiles at the police behind the wire. There has been the use of tear gas, and other measures but honestly, I'd say the crowds are bringing it upon themselves.

As for Poland, it's an emerging economy in Europe, and will be the focus of many who can't establish themselves in Germany. In many ways, Poland has a more stable economy than Spain, Italy, etc, and will be a favorable second choice if they can't get into Germany.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If posters wish to discuss the Polish border issue please start a dedicated thread. It is not the topic of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah yes, the replacement of the natives progressing nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Therefore if I fly into Tijuana, stay there illegally, set up home there, I’m a Mexican....! Great !

that sort of logic coming from a guy with the elected responsibility as he has had is absolutely frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sure thing amigo, I'm sure the locals are as woke as paddy n will classify you as one of their own!

Advertisement