Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Birdy wrote: »
    Lots of teachers and SNA's posting here throughout the morning while they should be engaging with their pupils.

I can multitask and take breaks as I imagine others can manage as well. Are you off work yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Your support is clear for all to see. You might want to avoid Marko though, he doesn't believe any ps worker should be paid well so he might rail against the doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Joe Duffy on RTE Radio 1 now, talking to a teacher who wants to go back to a special needs school she came on because she said those who want to go back are less vocal and don't get heard.

WicklaBlaa wrote: »

Completely mad teachers throwing it out when it's irrelevant to current situation. .

I know, just like it's mad when people talk about pup and unions etc when this is a shambles of a DES. Nice to see we agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Lots of blurry questions there to be honest. Yes we're in a period of high transmission. The one on bold is distinct and the health experts have stated repeatedly that schools are safe, so No?

Actually what they have said is "relatively safe" ie relative to other influences.

Community cases low, schools are relatively safe for example

Ronan Glynn

“By and large, the experience [in recent months] was a very positive one and a very successful one,” the Deputy CMO said.

“That said, we have always been clear that if we were to experience very widespread community transmission [of Covid-19], that would have an impact on the ability of schools to operate.”

Now are we not at the moment in the midst of the most widespread community transmission ever?

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said that the government did not get specific advice from Nphet in relation to opening schools three days a week for Leaving Cert students.

“There isn’t specific advice on sixth years but there is general advice," he said on RTÉ News at One this afternoon.

“[The letter] doesn’t say that schools are unsafe, it says that they are relatively safe environment"

Its really quite simple, schools are safe when community transmission at a manageable level, when track and race is in operation etc

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Joe Duffy on RTE Radio 1 now, talking to a teacher who wants to go back to a special needs school she came on because she said those who want to go back are less vocal and don't get heard.

Great stuff. He had someone on last month saying the virus is a hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

Teacher on Joe Duffy saying she wants to go back to work and believes teachers are generally safe.

Teacher on Joe Duffy saying she wants to go back to work and believes teachers are generally safe.

Someone on twitter saying that Norma should resign.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1535172303339164

I don't know how to embed, I give up! Very short 1.30 video calling on Taoiseach to intervene

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I know, just like it's mad when people talk about pup and unions etc when this is a shambles of a DES. Nice to see we agree.

We don't agree. Other public sector workers aren't bringing it up and getting on with their jobs.

Joe saying teacher unions are most powerful in the country. True.

• Advertisement

Great stuff. He had someone on last month saying the virus is a hoax.

There are teachers and SNA who want to go back they should be heard but as she said as she is in the INTO she will follow what they do.

As opposed to teachers being dangerous, good to hear, i was thinking theres another reason not to send my kids back in yet, raging mutation of the worst pandemic in our lifetimes along with dangerous teachers!

That's is a handy cover this is not teacher bashing by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Okay - so it seems there's some mixed messaging and chaotic leadership, doesn't it? And it's unacceptable.

That aside, I don't know if health experts have said repeatedly schools are safe. What have NPHET said? I'm not sure.
    Holohan says "relatively safe." And it times of lower transmission. Others such as Mike Ryan of WHO says they are not safe in periods of high transmission. Everyone else is a politician spouting "schools are safe" mantra, not health experts?

There was an online meeting last week between the department and staff where Ronan Glynn stated schools were safe. Thats about as good as it gets on health officials positions on this particular matter.

In an earlier post you said that unions have clearly stated their position, yes I would like to see it. I hope it includes the conditions that are acceptable for the return of their members to work. Andy Pike didnt have that detail on the radio this morning.

I answered the questions you stated clearly, but I didnt get any answer to my single question...I note. :o:confused:

Edit: That meeting was on Monday of this week.

There was an online meeting last week between the department and staff where Ronan Glynn stated schools were safe. Thats about as good as it gets on health officials positions on this particular matter.

In an earlier post you said that unions have clearly stated their position, yes I would like to see it. I hope it includes the conditions that are acceptable for the return of their members to work. Andy Pike didnt have that detail on the radio this morning.

I answered the questions you stated clearly, but I didnt get any answer to my single question...I note. :o:confused:

He also said

“That said, we have always been clear that if we were to experience very widespread community transmission [of Covid-19], that would have an impact on the ability of schools to operate.”

It's been posted here at least twice now. It's not that far back in the pages if you want to have a look. Or maybe someone has the link and will humour you.

We don't agree. Other public sector workers aren't bringing it up and getting on with their jobs.

Really, last I checked all other public sector workers that could remotely work from home are at home. Rang my gp, he would only do a remote call. Funny that. You wouldn't be comparing apples and orange again like you were literally just whinging about?

Teachers union are most powerful in the country. Lol. Luas went on a strike for a day and got a pay rise. Doctors threatened strike in the past few months. Your bias is showing, try again.

the kelt wrote: »
    He also said

Sounds about right, so if one school or local area has a particular spike in cases they could close individually? Makes sense to me.

Not a reason for a continued blanket closure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Teacher with child with autism on Joe Duffy saying Government shouldn't have abandoned plans to open schools and that she knows many teachers that would have gone in. It's mad the different viewpoints out there.

I know a school will involve a certain amount of risk, but the risk has to balance and that means teachers and SNA's might have to accept a certain amount of risk for the good of society and the student they serve.

Remember special schools were only going to have 50% capacity as well.

Nothing in life is risk-free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Edit: That meeting was on Monday of this week.

What Ronan Glynn saidbon Monday was....

https://twitter.com/dunne45/status/1351212081169780739?s=19

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It's mad the different viewpoints out there.

I know, like the way nphet say everyone should stay at home, but Norma wanted 60000 people to travel around on a random 3 days a week.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Teacher with child with autism on Joe Duffy saying Government shouldn't have abandoned plans to open schools and that she knows many teachers that would have gone in. It's mad the different viewpoints out there.

They can't because of the unions it's too much of an ask to expect those teachers and SNA who want to go back to go against the unions.

And are all the other public sector workers in their offices, places of work or are a huge number working from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know a school will involve a certain amount of risk, but the risk has to balance and that means teachers and SNA's might have to accept a certain amount of risk for the good of society and the student they serve.

Remember special schools were only going to have 50% capacity as well.

Nothing in life is risk-free.

True. So why not allow for contact tracing in these schools? And appropriate PPE? And testing? Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

He was referring to FULL reopening and not on a small number of SEN students

I know, like the way nphet say everyone should stay at home, but Norma wanted 60000 people to travel around on a random 3 days a week.

They also said essential workers could go to work.

Really, last I checked all other public sector workers that could remotely work from home are at home. Rang my gp, he would only do a remote call. Funny that. You wouldn't be comparing apples and orange again like you were literally just whinging about?

Teachers union are most powerful in the country. Lol. Luas went on a strike for a day and got a pay rise. Doctors threatened strike in the past few months. Your bias is showing, try again.

If you cant do your work properly at home, you need to attend for work. Like doctors, bus / luas drivers, nurses, council staff doing essential works and maintenance etc etc....

These students can't be taught ans supported adequately through online learning. The risk needs to be balanced against their needs.

True. So why not allow for contact tracing in these schools? And appropriate PPE? And testing? Etc.

I asked someone that before what is appropriate PPE for staff in special schools are staff looking for the same PPE as in the covid wards or would they be happy with disposable masks and a face shield.

• Advertisement

Thank you, not the comprehensive vote of confidence I had thought. Was he speaking in the context of just the special schools opening or all schools?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement