Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

For all those teachers saying that the PPE amounted to 1 mask/ box of masks/ 1 visor, what the hell was the money spent on??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh, of course we can do both but that means increasing taxes on people, or just borrowing more indefinitely, which is against EU fiscal rules.
    Are the Unions really going to advocate that we raise taxes to pay for their increased salary demands?

I may agree, so instead of fighting against each other, we should unite... so lets all unite behind the most forgotten and worst-paid people in the education sector. That is right, childcare educators. So, with that in mind, when are the TUI and ASTI going to threaten to go on strike for these people?

Oh, what is that I hear? Crickets?

See, people talk a good game but run away when their own interests arent being put forward.

Do you know what unions actually do? Your post makes it seem like you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Looking to jump the vaccination queue, rest is just garnish. Unions said that they would accept the public health advice and have renaged on that. Back in October cases rates were in the 1,000's, hopefully within the next week we'll be back to that.... Will that suffice I wonder?

The rest is all garnish? Wtf are you talking about, community transmission is at record levels in this country and there's no track and trace.

Reductionist rubbish.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    For all those teachers saying that the PPE amounted to 1 mask/ box of masks/ 1 visor, what the hell was the money spent on??

Don't know. We don't get told the breakdown of school spending. Hand sanatiser stations/oneway and social distancing stickers/screens were all put up in my school presumably those?

Edit to add: staff got a disposable mask and a visor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

markodaly wrote: »
    Oh, of course we can do both but that means increasing taxes on people, or just borrowing more indefinitely, which is against EU fiscal rules.
    Are the Unions really going to advocate that we raise taxes to pay for their increased salary demands?

I may agree, so instead of fighting against each other, we should unite... so lets all unite behind the most forgotten and worst-paid people underfunded cohort in the education sector. That is right, childcare educators special needs children and families which the government have neglected for decades. So, with that in mind, when are the TUI and ASTI going to threaten to go on strike for the DES/Ministers for Education going to properly support these people these people?

Oh, what is that I hear? Crickets?

See, people talk a good game but run away when their own interests arent being put forward.

No it doesn't mean that. Are you an economist? Run any countries yourself lately?
    We are one of the richest nations. We can afford to prioritise.

Fixed your paragraph for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

fits wrote: »
    Ha

It’s a stark contrast to how medical professionals talk about their patients but I guess children with special needs don’t deserve dignity and respect from those who are employed to care for them.

Continue to spout the emotive language all you want. I notice you didn’t counter any of the statement - because you can’t it’s factually correct. You will also find it difficult to find a parent who doesn’t acknowledge the support and care that their child receives. Huge problems with the system re lack of supports yes but not with the care and dedication of staff. But don’t let that get in the way of your playing on the emotions agh sure dignity / respect it’s nearly as bad as the minister fir special ed’s comment re normal children.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    The rest is all garnish? Wtf are you talking about, community transmission is at record levels in this country and there's no track and trace.

Reductionist rubbish.

As it is in every other country but yet we seem to be the only one who can't send 4% of our kids back to school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

First off everyone would have to be on the same page regarding the necessity of getting special needs kids back to school, those who are suffering the loss of school the most, and I don't think we're even at that point. I think the prevailing judgement is that the numbers are just too high so now isn't the right time. Teachers taught before with the same ppe, conditions and contract tracing as they are going to get in the future. Those are the reasons being put forth but imo the bottom line and the only way for teachers & snas first and foremost and then pupils and parents to not be scared is for the numbers to come way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Continue to spout the emotive language all you want. I notice you didn’t counter any of the statement - because you can’t it’s factually correct. You will also find it difficult to find a parent who doesn’t acknowledge the support and care that their child receives. Huge problems with the system re lack of supports yes but not with the care and dedication of staff. But don’t let that get in the way of your playing on the emotions agh sure dignity / respect it’s nearly as bad as the minister fir special ed’s comment re normal children.

Your assumptions about me are not correct.

As it is in every other country but yet we seem to be the only one who can't send 4% of our kids back to school

What are they doing differently in the countries that successfully opened special schools?

• Advertisement

What is your job

Doesn't matter what my job is Sean, I have to interact with plenty of ppl on a daily basis in there with what we have as do the guards, nurses, shop assistants etc. Let's stop the BS excuses they don't wash with me anymore.
    I've had enough and I'm at the end of my wits and still have to go into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

If teachers were put on the pandemic payment like all other workers who are now out of work, there would be a problem maintaining social distancing in the car park with the rush back to work.

What are they doing differently in the countries that successfully opened special schools?

Not for me to find out, what have the dept. and unions been meeting and talking about for weeks? I'd surely expect they looked at how other countries are doing it as a minimum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

jrosen wrote: »
    Our schools has them, as does the school my friend is an sna in.

Ours doesn't, my siblings, cousins and friends school don't. I also read a robust thread online talking about this months ago, and out of hundreds of comments I only saw a very few saying they did but even one of them said it's ridiculous and children still come up to the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    If teachers were put on the pandemic payment like all other workers who are now out of work, there would be a problem maintaining social distancing in the car park with the rush back to work.

Problem is, teachers are working online and they are also not eligible for it as they are not unemployed but thank you for your contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Doesn't matter what my job is Sean, I have to interact with plenty of ppl on a daily basis in there with what we have as do the guards, nurses, shop assistants etc. Let's stop the BS excuses they don't wash with me anymore.

Do you need to hold them, wipe their nose/bum, sit for long periods right beside them. Those kids arent wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

great so you can sit in supreme judgement without having any sort of questions regarding your chosen career pitched at you, typical

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Ours doesn't, my siblings, cousins and friends school don't. I also read a robust thread online talking about this months ago, and out of hundreds of comments I only saw a very few saying they did but even one of them said it's ridiculous and children still come up to the desk.

That's the point of having them, so that the children can come up to the desk. That's why they have them in supermarkets, so people can come up to the checkout. It's not a border, it's a screen.

I got a perspex screen which did not cover the length of the desk and is pointless because it is an airborne infection, I also got disinfectant wipes and a bottle of hand sanitizer that the Dept mentioned I was not to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

yrreg0850 wrote: »

Name one other group working remotely who are on PUP?

• Advertisement

Not for me to find out, what have the dept. and unions been meeting and talking about for weeks? I'd surely expect they looked at how other countries are doing it as a minimum!

Oh I assumed since you posted about it that you knew what you were talking about. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is it not clear at this stage that they do absolutely nothing but play politics and the blame/spin game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

That's the point of having them, so that the children can come up to the desk. That's why they have them in supermarkets, so people can come up to the checkout. It's not a border, it's a screen.

You shud see the state of the screens at school. A smurf wouldn't hide behind one

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

I have a question for those that believe main strain schools should open in a limited capacity - ie those receiving in class learning support & attending the special class going back to school.

How do you think a child retuning to school tomorrow seeing only a few children walking through the gates would feel? Would they feel marginalised? Would they feel different to their peers? Is it fair to bring them in when they know it’s unsafe for the rest of their classmates?

khalessi wrote: »
    I got a perspex screen which did not cover the length of the desk and is pointless because it is an airborne infection, I also got disinfectant wipes and a bottle of hand sanitizer that the Dept mentioned I was not to steal.

Completely the principals fault for not ordering suitable equipment. You'd think they would at least measure the desk.

Completely the principals fault for not ordering suitable equipment. You'd think they would at least measure the desk.

Oh they did and they put a slot in it so the kids could hand in their copies:rolleyes::rolleyes: They thought it would be intimidating for the children if it went the full length.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Smacruairi wrote: »
    In NI there is mass testing of both students and snas in special schools, contact testing, ppe supplied.

Thats not the case in the schools I know in England and Wales but that lot shouldn't be hard to implement

Might not be weekly mass testing but no reason why it couldn't be every second week

You shud see the state of the screens at school. A smurf wouldn't hide behind one

It all goes back to principals being the supply chain manager in the school to me. Totally inappropriate when their background is in education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our desks were removed for space or are back against the wall for space. You can’t use them properly or your back is to the students. Never mind have Perspex to teach behind lol

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Oh they did and they put a slot in it so the kids could hand in their copies:rolleyes::rolleyes: They thought it would be intimidating for the children if it went the full length.

Like in a supermarket where people can pay?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement