Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Wait, where is OCS-Tara-SSG currently proposed? If this is referring to Metrolink, it's definitively NOT circuitous. If it's referring to DU, well it wasn't proposed to go OCS-Tara-SSG so I don't know what would even mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

MJohnston wrote: »
    Wait, where is OCS-Tara-SSG currently proposed? If this is referring to Metrolink, it's definitively NOT circuitous. If it's referring to DU, well it wasn't proposed to go OCS-Tara-SSG so I don't know what would even mean.

Is this news to you, that the metrolink is currently proposing an OCS-Tara St - St. Stephen's Green route?

It is quite a large deviation from the route approved by ABP when it went to them way back when, though of course ABP seem to have been prepared to approve pretty much any public transport stuff, without question, at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Is this news to you, that the metrolink is currently proposing an OCS-Tara St - St. Stephen's Green route?

It is quite a large deviation from the route approved by ABP when it went to them way back when, though of course ABP seem to have been prepared to approve pretty much any public transport stuff, without question, at that time.

No, it isn't.

The clue is in the fact that it still serves both areas it was originally proposed to serve.

donvito99 wrote: »
    No, it isn't.

The clue is in the fact that it still serves both areas it was originally proposed to serve.

I'm afraid I'm not following you.

The original, rather circuitous, route via St. Stephen's Green, had as its main plus factor that it would enable connection with the LUAS. Any factors that it might have had in its favour, such as some people living near St. Stephen's Green, or particularly the volume of people working in the area, have been summarily and roundly dismissed.

I suggest a possible timeline for Dublin, all (I hope) related to the effect that the expansion of the DART project will have:

A broad, long-term – and perhaps achievable - plan for Dublin, given the stately pace at which at which public transport projects happen in Ireland, might be something like this:

1. Now, until 2030: the metrolink, linking Swords, the Airport, and other Northern suburbs, with the city centre (via somewhere that needs regeneration, specifically the area in the city around Mountjoy Square) and, say, Rathmines; a tramline to link Peter Place and Baggot Street Bridge, hopefully with an eventual extension to Grand Canal, to reduce pressure on the LUAS Green Line south of the canal; And a LUAS line to Finglas, hopefully built in such a way that it can be upgraded to a metro-standard service;

2. 2030-2040: extension of the metrolink to Firhouse/Knocklyon, and a metrolink spur to Walkinstown from somewhere like Camden Street; and construction of the DART Underground, hopefully via a very central location like College Green;

3. 2040-2050: another Northside metrolink route, this time a spur between Mountjoy Square and Coolock, then heading west to/from the Airport – ensuring that many lower densiity suburbs south of the Airport and Swords but North of the river have a very fine, adequate, efficient and appropriate service; and construction of a tunnel between St. Stephen’s Green and Broadstone, probably via the Christchurch station on the DART Undrground route, mentioned in point 2;

4. 2050-2060: Insertion of the southside Green Line into this tunnel to/from Broadstone, and construction of a LUAS line along the N11, with an eventual view toward putting this LUAS into the tunnel; start construction of a heavy rail route, East of Clonsilla, to link with with the Hazelhatch line somewhere, perhaps around ParkWest, to eventually perform some or many of the functions of the Metrowest and deliver people from Maynooth, Leixlip and several western suburbs directly into/from the city, via the DART Underground tunnel;

5. 2060-2070: extend the metro service from the new St. Stephen’s Green – Broadstone tunnel, which would include LUAS services to/from the Stillorgan Road and the current southside Green Line, to Finglas, and to Clonsilla (the emerging metrowest-esque service provided by the Maynooth line). The Clonsilla bit would require relaying of tracks, but since the Sligo line, and Maynooth and Dunboyne services, could now be removed from this corridor as they would be going to/from Heuston, this shouldn’t be a major problem;

6. 2070-2080: construction of a heavy rail line linking Tallaght and Clondalkin with the heavy rail into/out of the city, aka the DART Underground; construction of Dublin’s third metro line, linking Walkinstown with the Glass Bottle site, via Heuston (to link with the DART), somewhere around Church Street (to link with the Sandyford/N11 metro), O’Connell Street (to link with currently proposed metro), Connolly (to link with the Maynooth/Clonsilla – Southside DART), Spencer Dock (again to link with the DART) and so on.

I am aware that adding Dublin’s southside DART line further into this mix isn’t in any way essential. But it could be very desirable, when the very important work of public transport for the whole city has been essentially done

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'm not following you.

The original, rather circuitous, route via St. Stephen's Green, had as its main plus factor that it would enable connection with the LUAS. Any factors that it might have had in its favour, such as some people living near St. Stephen's Green, or particularly the volume of people working in the area, have been summarily and roundly dismissed.

The Metro is still proposed to go to Stephen's Green and O'Connell St.

Where on god's green earth are you getting circuitous from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

From the point of view of the Metrolink, it could then have a direct O'Connell - College Green - St. Stephen's Green route, with no faffing around to Tara St., causing trouble in relation to swimming pools, peoples' homes and such, or the extra distance involved.

Just straight, O'Connell Street-College Green (DART interchange)-St.Stephen's Green. That would seem to me to be the sensible option, in the scenario that the DART underground is going to be built.

Assuming a Hazelhatch - Northern DART and Maynooth - Southern DART have a connection at Pearse, and a Southern DART - metrolink connection on the northside somewhere (Glasnevin or, as I prefer, Drumcondra), and a Northside DART and metrolink connection at College Green, which the city is hoping to pedestrianise. I mean, what's not to like?

This has been explained to you many times already so I will try to keep this brief.

Going from OCS to SSG East (where it has been decided is the optimum location for the station there in terms of ease of construction and minimising disruption) requires the tunnel to swing to the east to get into the right alignment at SSG. Having a station at Tara Street makes sense, the tunnel is going under it anyway, no additional length. If you think there is “faffing around” at Tara, it is nothing compared to the ****show that would be digging up both CG and SSG park!

Going OCS – CG – SSG with Metrolink does not allow a direct interchange with the current heavy rail network so lots not to like there. Having the future Maynooth – Bray/Greystones DART interchange with Metrolink at Glasnevin rather than city centre, again lots not to like. It makes no sense, with or without DU.

You have been given your own thread for peddling your nonsense, you should stick to that.

No one of sound mind would call an adjustment to the route 200m east to allow for an improved Dart interchange "circuitous".

You're trolling what is a Dart Underground thread at this point.

EDIT: He deleted his latest post. Good.

Pete, can you answer some of the questions posed recently, on this thread, in relation to how the DART Underground will/would fit in with what you are saying, if that DART project eventually happens.

And I don't have my own thread.

I started a thread about alternatives to the metrolink, and I have also posted several times on a thread about possible alternatives to the DART Underground route.

Both are threads that I often posted on. I hope I have never been a poster on those threads who, at any stage, attempted to drown out other points of view.

No one of sound mind would call an adjustment to the route 200m east to allow for an improved Dart interchange "circuitous".

You're trolling what is a Dart Underground thread at this point.

EDIT: He deleted his latest post. Good.

It's a DART Expansion thread, mainly, and the DART Underground is ufortunately peripheral at this stage.

• Advertisement

It's a DART Expansion thread, mainly, and the DART Underground is ufortunately peripheral at this stage.

Your train of thought is more circuitous than either DU or ML (still don't know which one you're talking about) could ever be.

It's not news to anyone here, but your post was so meandering and imprecise that it was very unclear which project out of several you were referring to on any given line.

I just don't know how you can describe it as circuitous at all. What a truly bizarre statement to make.

Your train of thought is more circuitous than either DU or ML (still don't know which one you're talking about) could ever be.

Yes, and my apologies Donvito99 for perhaps being a bit long-winded sometimes. It's part of my make-up, I suppose.

I live outside of Ireland, and I'm just curious to know whether the Dart Underground will be built, and - if it is built - where and how it will be built, and how it will interact with the proposed metro line, or hopefully metro lines, and how it might eventually have an impact on some currently unserved suburbs.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    This has been explained to you many times already so I will try to keep this brief.

Going from OCS to SSG East (where it has been decided is the optimum location for the station there in terms of ease of construction and minimising disruption) requires the tunnel to swing to the east to get into the right alignment at SSG. Having a station at Tara Street makes sense, the tunnel is going under it anyway, no additional length. If you think there is “faffing around” at Tara, it is nothing compared to the ****show that would be digging up both CG and SSG park!

Going OCS – CG – SSG with Metrolink does not allow a direct interchange with the current heavy rail network so lots not to like there. Having the future Maynooth – Bray/Greystones DART interchange with Metrolink at Glasnevin rather than city centre, again lots not to like. It makes no sense, with or \
    without DU.

You have been given your own thread for peddling your nonsense, you should stick to that.

Now, Pete, please let's be honest.

Under the old plan, with the interconnector going to St. Stephen's Green, it was perfectly feasible to have the Metro station being built under St. Stephen's Green West - the LUAS/Fitzwilliam Hotel side. The side that ABP approved.

The side that would have enabled a very good interchange with the LUAS, the side with almost no traffic.

Yes...that side.

Now, since the DART Underground is not, apparently, going to be built, it is now necessary to go to Tara Street to achieve the same interchange with the Northern Line that would have been achieved under the old Metro/DART plan at St. Stephen's Green.

As a result, there has to now be a Tara Street - St. Stephen's Green East route. There is no alternative but to build the metro to St.Stephen's Green East. And now we hear that it's better than the route approved by ABP?

If it's better, how come we never heard any of that, and how come ABP never heard any of that when they were doing their hearings? Total rubbish.

The only reason for the St. Stephen's Green East bit is to build a way across TCD but to find a way to avoid the 'Long Room' there - it is, in my opinion, probably Ireland's most important building and I think this is sensible if it has been decided that the DART Underground will not happen.

But if the DART Underground has not been completely taken off the table, then we should perhaps hold on, in the hope that a more sensible, St. Stephen's Green West future, with a direct, pretty much traffic-free St. Stephen's Green -(College Green) - O'Connell Bridge link, leaving it right adjaccent to the LUAS, may lie ahead.

It would be easier and much cheaper to just run the Luas around SSG instead of digging in a nightmarishly complicated location on the West side for a benefit you'v yet to demonstrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Now, Pete, please let's be honest.

Under the old plan, with the interconnector going to St. Stephen's Green, it was perfectly feasible to have the Metro station being built under St. Stephen's Green West - the LUAS/Fitzwilliam Hotel side. The side that ABP approved.

The side that would have enabled a very good interchange with the LUAS, the side with almost no traffic.

Yes...that side.

Now, since the DART Underground is not, apparently, going to be built, it is now necessary to go to Tara Street to achieve the same interchange with the Northern Line that would have been achieved under the old Metro/DART plan at St. Stephen's Green.

As a result, there has to now be a Tara Street - St. Stephen's Green East route. There is no alternative but to build the metro to St.Stephen's Green East. And now we hear that it's better than the route approved by ABP?

If it's better, how come we never heard any of that, and how come ABP never heard any of that when they were doing their hearings? Total rubbish.

The Tara Street - SSG East route is better because when/if built, it immediately has an interchange with the existing heavy rail network at Tara Street. This is one of the basic requirements for the design. Your route, OCS – CG – SSG, has no interchange with the existing heavy rail network in the city centre. Instead it relies on another project for which there is no design and not even on the funding list to provide an interchange with only one of the two heavy rail lines it will create.

Why spend a couple of billion on your Metro route only to have to wait decades for the building of another €Xbn tunnel to provide half the connectivity of what the Metrolink route will provide from day it opens. Anyone with half a brain can see why the Metrolink route, not yours, is being pursued. You can continue to waffle all you like but you won’t convince anyone, your suggestion makes no sense! You describing something, anything, as total rubbish is beyond laughable given what you post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

7ae.png

This feckin thread... jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

But if the DART Underground has not been completely taken off the table, then we should perhaps hold on, in the hope that a more sensible, St. Stephen's Green West future, with a direct, pretty much traffic-free St. Stephen's Green -(College Green) - O'Connell Bridge link, leaving it right adjaccent to the LUAS, may lie ahead.

I.....I don't understand.

By your own (rather optimistic) timeline, the earliest at which Dart Undergound could be in the mid to late 2030s if not into the 2040s. Metrolink as is planned at the moment is projected to finish at 2027. So for the first 10 years of operation at least Metrolink won't have any heavy rail connection under your plan south of Drumcondra for the added benefits of having a station at CG and Grafton st. (CG which is a 12 minute walk at best from Tara St. Station, and SSG/Grafton a 5 minute walk from SSG East.)

What are the benefits here and are they worth at least 10 years worth of substandard service?

Consonata wrote: »

By your own (rather optimistic) timeline, the earliest at which Dart Undergound could be in the mid to late 2030s if not into the 2040s. Metrolink as is planned at the moment is projected to finish at 2027. So for the first 10 years of operation at least Metrolink won't have any heavy rail connection under your plan south of Drumcondra for the added benefits of having a station at CG and Grafton st. (CG which is a 12 minute walk at best from Tara St. Station, and SSG/Grafton a 5 minute walk from SSG East.)

What are the benefits here and are they worth at least 10 years worth of substandard service?

Yes indeed, that is essentially the question I'm asking, which is why I have used the phrase 'If the DART Underground is built' in most of my recent posts.

With metrolink, under the current plans, links with the 'southside' DART, Maynooth and Hazelhatch lines are already planned at locations outside the city centre, so 3 of the 4 heavy rail lines are all fine, as far as connections with metrolink are concerned.

The question is basically about the fourth line, the Northern DART, which would be likely to see the largest changes if a line similar to the former DART Underground proposal were to be built.

The Tara Street - SSG East route is better because when/if built, it immediately has an interchange with the existing heavy rail network at Tara Street. This is one of the basic requirements for the design. Your route, OCS – CG – SSG, has no interchange with the existing heavy rail network in the city centre. Instead it relies on another project for which there is no design and not even on the funding list to provide an interchange with only one of the two heavy rail lines it will create.

But the interchange does not have to be in the city centre. Most cities do have such central interchanges, because the largest number of passengers on any line want to go to the centre, and it usually makes sense to build interchanges there.

Dublin has chosen, or maybe perhaps it is fortunate, to have metrolink - heavy rail interchanges outside the city centre. Southside DART - metrolink at Glasnevin (as currently proposed), Hazelhatch - Southside DART (at Glasnevin, and Tara Street), and Maynooth/Dunboyne - Metrolink (At Glasnevin).

Plus, add in the very welcome Hazelhatch - Maynooth /Clonsilla connection at Glasnevin.

None of these would be affected by an O'Connell Street - City Centre - St. Stephen's Green route for the metrolink.
    Why spend a couple of billion on your Metro route only to have to wait decades for the building of another €Xbn tunnel to provide half the connectivity of what the Metrolink route will provide from day it opens. Anyone with half a brain can see why the Metrolink route, not yours, is being pursued. You can continue to waffle all you like but you won’t convince anyone, your suggestion makes no sense! You describing something, anything, as total rubbish is beyond laughable given what you post.

Indeed Pete.

Connections with the 'Southside' DART line, the Maynooth line, and the Hazelhatch line are pretty much sorted for the next while, assuming that the metrolink proposal goes ahead. And with the Northern DART line, at Tara Street.

The question I was particularly looking at was the eventuality that the DART Underground happens: particularly the ramifications for the Northern DART line and the Hazelhatch line and its future connection with the metrolink.

Would such a future line be pretty much required to be routed via Tara Street, to keep its metrolink connenction with the Northside DART?

• Advertisement

And I should say that I'd have no major problem with a DART Underground route going via Tara Street.

It, like College Green, is pretty much in the centre of the city. College Green has advantages like the fact that is hopefully going to be pedestrianised and could be a wonderful space, still retaining a major public transport function, and would probably allow the most efficient passenger uptake in the entire city.

Tara Street wouldn't be as good, in terms of efficiency of passenger uptake, but it could still be pretty good. I'd broadly welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭gjim

And I should say that I'd have no major problem with a DART Underground route going via Tara Street.

It, like College Green, is pretty much in the centre of the city. College Green has advantages like the fact that is hopefully going to be pedestrianised and could be a wonderful space, still retaining a major public transport function, and would probably allow the most efficient passenger uptake in the entire city.

Tara Street wouldn't be as good, in terms of efficiency of passenger uptake, but it could still be pretty good. I'd broadly welcome it.
    I don't like to get personal but your fixation with having an underground station at College Green is weird/unhealthy.

You've posted thousands of messages advocating either a DU or metro stop at this location both on the old Archiseek forum and on here over a period of 10 to 20 years. In that time, I have never seen you change anyone's opinion on this matter.

Does the fact that in all those years and with all that writing that you've yet to convince a single person not make you wonder a bit? I mean I can't knock your effort and perseverance but come on man - it's time to let it go ffs.

Maybe nobody has stated it outright for him: College Green is an awful location for a DU stop and is never, ever going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

CatInABox wrote: »
    7ae.png

This feckin thread... jaysus.

And I thought I'd seen enough interesting route optionineering professionally.

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

As I stated earlier, DU station could be 'between' Tara St and CG, Tara to CG is approx 450m in a straight line, procurement for new DART trains is seeking up to 168m, lets imagine that they decide for future flexibility they want a 180m platform (Maybe 200? Probably excessive). If the platform were centrally placed, assuming station design adds additional 45m to both ends before you're at surface level you would be 100m away from Tara St and 100m away from CG when you reach the surface, given the importance of Tara St interchange, I'd shift the centre a bit closer that direction and integrate into the station with maybe 100m horizontal distance from Platform to Station and 150m walk from Surface entrance to College Green.

150m from CG would put the DU entrance at approximately Trinity Luas Stop, so you'd have a good interchange at both ends of the station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

gjim wrote: »
    I don't like to get personal but your fixation with having an underground station at College Green is weird/unhealthy.

You've posted thousands of messages advocating either a DU or metro stop at this location both on the old Archiseek forum and on here over a period of 10 to 20 years. In that time, I have never seen you change anyone's opinion on this matter.

Does the fact that in all those years and with all that writing that you've yet to convince a single person not make you wonder a bit? I mean I can't knock your effort and perseverance but come on man - it's time to let it go ffs.

Round of applause! Well done sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see Irish Rail are looking for PM for the construction of a new train depot . Is the new one on the sligo line or is it a different one they are building?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks like Dart Underground might be back on the menu. Wonder if they're going with "interconnector" to avoid any negative connotations that Dart Underground has.
    We will continue the investment programme in public transport to improve our bus, light rail,
    commuter and inter-city rail network across our country.
    We will develop and implement the existing strategies for our cities such as the Greater Dublin Area
    Transport Strategy, the Galway Transport Strategy, the draft Cork Metropolitan Area Transport
    Strategy, as well as strategies being developed for Waterford and Limerick, and other projects
    progressing through planning.
    Specifically, the Government will prioritise plans for the delivery of Metrolink, Luas and other light
    rail expansion, DART expansion and interconnector and Bus Connects in Dublin, Cork, Galway and
    Limerick.

It's the first official mention of it in ages, but I can't imagine that it'd be bumped up the schedule massively. Metrolink and the Dart Expansion are obviously far closer to a start point than any interconnector, but I think that we might see some changes to the Dart Expansion plan based upon the commitment to do the interconnector, such as moving the Docklands station down to the quays where the DU station was going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

CatInABox wrote: »

It's the first official mention of it in ages, but I can't imagine that it'd be bumped up the schedule massively. Metrolink and the Dart Expansion are obviously far closer to a start point than any interconnector, but I think that we might see some changes to the Dart Expansion plan based upon the commitment to do the interconnector, such as moving the Docklands station down to the quays where the DU station was going to be.

This was on the cards (a few whispers) pre covid as a bit of a side-show to DART expansion, but I'd expect some design issue has pushed the costs too high for a short term win project.

Advertisement