Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DOC40

bazz26 wrote: »
    Here is a similar one from a dealer in Derry for less including VRT and Nox charge and a 12 month warranty:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2470754&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D726%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Others from Irish dealers too:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2464754&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D726%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2514228&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D726%26r%3D2016%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I cannot see someone giving a private seller 14k for one with no warranty or comeback. Also now is the worst time to be trying to sell. Buying a car is probably the last thing on a lot of people's minds at present.

I see prices are similar alright and coming from a dealer. I do have warranty to September 2021 from any Toyota Northern dealer, as Toyota serviced, but I know people will only purchase privately if a good bit cheaper than a dealer.
    Wonder what would I expect to get on a trade-in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Manufacturers guarantee and an actual warranty from a dealer are different though. The main dealer car will have been prepped to a certain standard, there will be some assurances on its past. You’re buying from a known quantity, financing and trade in facilities are there, as well as a dealer warranty to go alongside the manufacturers guarantee.
    A private sale has to be nicely cheaper than a dealers straight deal price (as in the price they will actually sell for vs the asking price before discounts) to make it worth the buyers while.
    I would imagine people local to you would sooner import from NI than buy a ROI reg car?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DOC40

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Manufacturers guarantee and an actual warranty from a dealer are different though. The main dealer car will have been prepped to a certain standard, there will be some assurances on its past. You’re buying from a known quantity, financing and trade in facilities are there, as well as a dealer warranty to go alongside the manufacturers guarantee.
    A private sale has to be nicely cheaper than a dealers straight deal price (as in the price they will actually sell for vs the asking price before discounts) to make it worth the buyers while.
    I would imagine people local to you would sooner import from NI than buy a ROI reg car?

Think its a mixture really. A lot of people don't want the 'hassle' of importing and would rather just stay local. I think the rate of sterling obviously has huge bearing on it too. I'm beginning to think of maybe sitting tight just for another while. I think too for me to buy something new will cost big money especially if i want a car that's as comfortable to drive as the one I have coz it seems to boy a decent 'large' family car will cost in the region of 35k!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi all,

So I have read the first few pages of this thread (Cheers OP).

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts now on accepting payment.

For my own car sale - cash is unlikely.

So it's either:

Bank Transfer or Bank Draught?

In both cases it takes a few days for the money to actually be in my account - so as a seller I do not want to send off the cert or handover keys until the money is with me officially.

I completely understand the situation for the buyer here too, handing over money and not getting the keys for another few days?

A revolut sale would be ideal - but that's very unlikely :)

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

It's all about trust. I have never handed over any car I've sold without the money being in my bank account first and this should be what the buyer expects too.

The buyer will have your car reg number, your full name, your bank account details etc so they should trust you imo

Kilboor wrote: »
    It's all about trust. I have never handed over any car I've sold without the money being in my bank account first and this should be what the buyer expects too.

The buyer will have your car reg number, your full name, your bank account details etc so they should trust you imo

Cheers

Exactly my thoughts.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭User1998

Why wouldn’t you take cash? Last car I sold they transferred me the money in front of me and I let them drive away but I was worried sick until I actually received the money. Probably wouldn’t do it again

The potential buyer does not want to deal with cash. I don't either to be honest.

Keys will not be handed over until the money is actually in my account, confirmed by my bank.

User1998 wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t you take cash? Last car I sold they transferred me the money in front of me and I let them drive away but I was worried sick until I actually received the money. Probably wouldn’t do it again

Going back on what I said above, I have done this once too but as said it is a worry.

• Advertisement

Surely they can set up revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

An easy(ish) way I've found is to get the buyer to get a bank draft/cheque and meet at a branch of your bank when you're handing over the car.

Seller gives you the draft, you deposit it into your account, walk out and hand over the keys etc.

Small price for that extra security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But it takes a number of days for a draft to clear especially if it's from a different bank. What if it bounces?

Is cash just the handiest/most preferable?

Depends on the amount. Not exactly secure from both a buying and selling point to having thousands of euro in cash in your pocket unless you meet at a bank together and deposit it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

But it takes a number of days for a draft to clear especially if it's from a different bank. What if it bounces?

I would've thought banks would be able to verify whether a draft is counterfeit or whatever fairly quickly? Even so, you could bring the draft to their bank to verify it before bringing it to your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cash is great but say if it's €15k we are talking about, if you are depositing that in your bank account it will flag money laundering alarms and will generate hassle for you. Best is if buyer has account with same bank as you to get them to do a transfer to your account or draft if issued from same bank as seller so it can be easily verified as legit.

A lad who bought a car off me before brought one of those AIB card readers and transferred something like €10k to me instantly, it was dead handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Cash is great but say if it's €15k we are talking about, if you are depositing that in your bank account it will flag money laundering alarms and will generate hassle for you. Best is if buyer has account with same bank as you to get them to do a transfer to your account or draft if issued from same bank as seller so it can be easily verified as legit.

Technically money laundering isn’t just “cash”, its any form of money be it draft, transfer or otherwise.

For example, Mr Dodgey Man lodges cash into Person As account for the purpose of money laundering, and even though Mr Dodgey Man is buying the car off you he transfersthe money from Person As account, thus laundering the money. You can’t tell where the money has come from.

Another scam is someone would buy a car from you for cash, then you lodge the money. Later the person cancels the sale and wants their money back but leaves you with say, €1,000 for your trouble. You transfer the money back to their account less the €1,000 and suddenly your an accomplice in money laundering without realising.

L-M I take your point that you can't verify that the money is legit even for a bank transfer, but a car dealer can't do that either really, at least it's a transaction from one person to another, whereas cash is a bit harder to verify the source.

Hmm, so the most legit way is

1. Bank Transfer from the buyer to the seller
    or
    Bank Draft from buyer to seller

In both cases the seller has to wait until the money clears.

Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah as a Dealer we have to report ANY amount that we think is “suspiscous”. Any business has to really.

Any amount over 10k in cash we are obliged to report.

It’s a messy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Selling my own car here https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25077528

I’ve just had an enquirer from a UK number but haven’t gotten back to him, it just seems a little odd that someone from the UK would be interested.
    Any ideas before I give him a ring?

Lots of people frequently travel between UK and Ireland for business and might also have a UK phone number. I wouldn’t be worried unless they start mentioning weird payment methods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Im selling my car at the moment and I have an offer from
    a dealer (just an individual guy that buys and sells on his own, not a dealership) and I was just wondering what happens to the logbook.. if he is buying the car to flip it, does it get registered in his name for a few weeks and then reregistered with the eventual buyer? I just want to make sure I do the right thing with the logbook to get it out of my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

CageWager wrote: »
    Im selling my car at the moment and I have an offer from
    a dealer (just an individual guy that buys and sells on his own, not a dealership) and I was just wondering what happens to the logbook.. if he is buying the car to flip it, does it get registered in his name for a few weeks and then reregistered with the eventual buyer? I just want to make sure I do the right thing with the logbook to get it out of my name.

You can check the status on the motor tax website - it’ll tell you when it transfers to a dealer or an individual.

On a side note - I bought a car from a main Dublin VW garage recently and after 5 weeks I had to ring and ask them to transfer the logbook out of my name for my old car and into my name for the new car, they hadn’t done either...

2 scenarios:
    If he is a legitimate registered dealer he will be able to transfer the car into his garage code without adding an owner

If he isn't registered and doesn't have a garage code, you'll probably hand over the registration cert, the car will remain in your name until an actual owner is signed over. This involves you trusting the random stranger you sell the car to.
    You'll also get traders getting you to sign an RF134 form, and promptly throw it away as they aren't registered as a garage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If he isn't registered and doesn't have a garage code, you'll probably hand over the registration cert, the car will remain in your name until an actual owner is signed over. This involves you trusting the random stranger you sell the car to.
    You'll also get traders getting you to sign an RF134 form, and promptly throw it away as they aren't registered as a garage.

Do NOT hand over the registration cert to a private buyer. It's up to you to post it in to the DoT with the new owner's details on it. If the new owner is not happy with that, walk away. You can drive to a postbox with the new owner and post it there and then if it makes him/her happier, but do not let a new private owner take your reg cert away with the new car.

Covered well here:
    https://www.pierse.ie/legal-services/selling-your-car/

Absolutely agree. But no cash for cars type trader will want themselves as an owner and it’s commonplace for them to wriggle out of this once everything is agreed.

Of they may just provide you with a fake name and address for the change of ownership to satisfy you into selling the car to them.

Of they may just provide you with a fake name and address for the change of ownership to satisfy you into selling the car to them.

Unless it’s a close to zero value car or a scrapper, it’s not in their interests to buy it without paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

Selling my dad's car for him here: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-mercedes-b-class-b150-sport/25341280

just wanted to check what the best way is to go about someone test driving it. I assume usually you would be in the car with the person, but was wondering how it works insurance wise?

• Advertisement

djan wrote: »
    Selling my dad's car for him here: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-mercedes-b-class-b150-sport/25341280

just wanted to check what the best way is to go about someone test driving it. I assume usually you would be in the car with the person, but was wondering how it works insurance wise?

Most people will have an insurance policy that allows them to drive other insured cars.

It's not a really a thing to ask if they have that type of insurance or not though. I'm not going to condone anything but maybe ensure you're driving on a safe road or a car park of a shopping centre if you want to be extra safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

If a buyer test drives your car without the proper insurance and crashes , then afaik you are screwed. You have given them permission to drive your car without insurance. Afaik you will be almost solely responsible for compensation out of your own pocket. E.g. hits a cyclist.... badly broken leg..out of work for 6 months....hospital and therapist....50k+. Or death....1..2..3. Million. There goes everything you own ..house...etc...
    Again ,Afaik, would be interested to hear opinions /examples.

Also I'm not sure what the insurance status is after the money has been handed over (logbook signed)and they drive away, yet you haven't cancelled your insurance yet(might be a weekend).
    Afaik you are in the clear once the money is transferred as then you are not the legal owner. But I'm not sure??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Just sold my car today using advice from L-M. many thanks OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Thinking of selling my own yolk. 2015 Mondeo 2.0 Titanium (150):
    Heated half leather seats
    Rear tinted windows
    Spoiler and side kit (from factory)
    18" wheels
    Keyless entry
    Push button start
    Electric seats

120,000km, I have a company car and this one is just sitting in the shed, I've barely driven it this year, around 2000km since January (all long spins to keep it right dpf wise).

What would be a realistic price for it? Donedeal is showing anything between 7k and 13k.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I'm selling a 2011 Ford S-max titanium on done deal. Ad is here:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-s-max-titanium/26563554

Any feedback on the ad and advice as to how to attract buyers as not getting many inquiries.

Jane98 wrote: »
    I'm selling a 2011 Ford S-max titanium on done deal. Ad is here:

Any feedback on the ad and advice as to how to attract buyers as not getting many inquiries.

When I’m looking for a cars I will always skip over cars that don’t have pictures first and ads and don’t have interior pictures second.

I would definitely add a few good quality pics of the inside and the dashboard. At the moment it could make people think the inside is wrecked or not great if there are no pictures.You also have two duplicate pictures of the left side, 3 of the left total

If I were you I would try and take one good picture of each of the four sides of the car, one of the dash, one of the front seats and one of the back seats. Maybe one of the mileage and or engine also?

I think you’re being a little too optimistic about price. A quick Carzone valuation throws up €5500 for your reg and mileage, which makes me think €5000 would be a better figure to aim for after haggling. I’m not sure what similar year and mileage cars are going for? I only see four others in a quick search and they look way overpriced. 225000kms is a fair bit and beyond a lot of what people would consider.

Also, it’s an import and so some people will feel they should steer clear by default, others prefer imports for the little bit of spec extra, it’s something to consider

Just my thoughts, I’m open to correction. It might also be quicker or more straightforward to trade it into a dealer? If it’s in good Knick you could well be offered 4500 or more, but that could vary also.

You really need to wash the car for the photos, also need to take better photos of the car rather than sort of taking them from a distance as it gives the impression that the bodywork is rough up close. You also need to take photos of the interior. You also mention it is serviced by Ford every year, then put photos of the invoices or service book up too. Remember if you show little or no interest in presenting your car in the best possible way for the advert then a potential buyer isn't going to show interest in your advert either.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    When I’m looking for a cars I will always skip over cars that don’t have pictures first and ads and don’t have interior pictures second.

I would definitely add a few good quality pics of the inside and the dashboard. At the moment it could make people think the inside is wrecked or not great if there are no pictures.You also have two duplicate pictures of the left side, 3 of the left total

If I were you I would try and take one good picture of each of the four sides of the car, one of the dash, one of the front seats and one of the back seats. Maybe one of the mileage and or engine also?

I think you’re being a little too optimistic about price. A quick Carzone valuation throws up €5500 for your reg and mileage, which makes me think €5000 would be a better figure to aim for after haggling. I’m not sure what similar year and mileage cars are going for? I only see four others in a quick search and they look way overpriced. 225000kms is a fair bit and beyond a lot of what people would consider.

Also, it’s an import and so some people will feel they should steer clear by default, others prefer imports for the little bit of spec extra, it’s something to consider

Just my thoughts, I’m open to correction. It might also be quicker or more straightforward to trade it into a dealer? If it’s in good Knick you could well be offered 4500 or more, but that could vary also.

Pete123456 i took your advice. Hopefully you find my updated ad an improvement.

• Advertisement

You really need to wash the car for the photos, also need to take better photos of the car rather than sort of taking them from a distance as it gives the impression that the bodywork is rough up close. You also need to take photos of the interior. You also mention it is serviced by Ford every year, then put photos of the invoices or service book up too. Remember if you show little or no interest in presenting your car in the best possible way for the advert then a potential buyer isn't going to show interest in your advert either.

Bazz26 i took your advice. Hopefully you find my updated ad an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Hey guys,

thinking of selling our second car, working at home i am finding it hard to justify , insurance etc. and think it would be best to sell it.

car is a 162 BMW f06 640d

very high spec.
    bmw warranty for 11 months.

What is best approach with a car worth around 35k?

Any advice would be great.

Pete123456 i took your advice. Hopefully you find my updated ad an improvement.

I do think it looks much better in the pics now Jane and the wash and clean definitely makes it look more attractive. I think you’re more likely to have interest at this price point, or at least you might catch people who are filtering up to 6000.

Best of luck with it!!

Wondering what people's opinions are of selling on donedeal at the moment? My ad has been viewed 400+ times, saved 20 times but only 1 ridiculous offer and no phonecalls.

What are the saves for, people interested but holding back to see if I reduce it further or other people selling the same car checking whats shifting?

Wondering what people's opinions are of selling on donedeal at the moment? My ad has been viewed 400+ times, saved 20 times but only 1 ridiculous offer and no phonecalls.

What are the saves for, people interested but holding back to see if I reduce it further or other people selling the same car checking whats shifting?

Things are probably a bit slow, but it might be an indication that the ad or the price need improving. Can you post a link to the ad?

Things are probably a bit slow, but it might be an indication that the ad or the price need improving. Can you post a link to the ad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Honestly that is a tidy looking car, but it might just be out of reach for a lot of people in terms of mileage - 200,000km+ will struggle to sell unless its at the bottom end of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Honestly that is a tidy looking car, but it might just be out of reach for a lot of people in terms of mileage - 200,000km+ will struggle to sell unless its at the bottom end of the market.

That's not big mileage for a 9 year old diesel.

It doesn’t strike me as being overpriced, mileage isn’t mental for a 10 year old car either.

Hold out, it’s a niche car nearly at this stage and I’d say you’ll get your buyer eventually.

Not being flippant but we are in a big recession. On the other side of the coin you have the pcp crowd..but also putting pressure on 2nd hand prices. Pcp is depleting the market for 2nd hand at a certain price bracket. That bracket is ever increasing as lower and lower income earners are entering pcp.

I don’t think a €6k car is competing with PCP though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement