Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Probably be about 80 when they redo the numbers later.

Ardkeen on the news now.....tenfold increase in a month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

daily-report-22-01-2021.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well its as clear as day that things are merely bad rather than catastophic. Kilkenny,Wexford,Tipp all being counted as Waterford initially before being reclassified.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Well its as clear as day that things are merely bad rather than catastophic. Kilkenny,Wexford,Tipp all being counted as Waterford initially before being reclassified.

How many cases have been declassified in Waterford this week ?

• Advertisement

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    How many cases have been declassified in Waterford this week ?

Leave it with me I'll put it up late

Here are the numbers since the 1st Jan C=Confirmed B=Briefing

BRIEFING-V-CONFIRMED-3.jpg

spookwoman wrote:
    Here is the numbers since the 1st Jan

Thank you for that . Am I right in saying we have had 470 less cases in January than the daily headline cases ?

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Thank you for that . Am I right in saying we have had 470 less cases in January than the daily headline cases ?

476 difference up to yesterday.

spookwoman wrote:

Thank you for the updates .

• Advertisement

Hse operations report
    114 -8
    Icu no change at 6

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

spookwoman wrote: »

But we still don’t know are they affecting our position on the Covid table, as we currently have the 2nd highest incidence rate based on those daily sheets which are distributed.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    But we still don’t know are they affecting our position on the Covid table, as we currently have the 2nd highest incidence rate based on those daily sheets which are distributed.

Should be easy enough to find out. They work on the 2016 populations data. I start on it :D

In fairness we are being portrayed as being one of the worst in the country at present and if it’s a case that these de-notified cases are not being removed from those incidence rate per 100,000, that’s really unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

It's a bad situation whatever way you look at it. Measuring the case numbers was never going to be an exact science based on our proximity to Kilkenny, Wexford and South Tipp. I'd be more bothered about the news of the increased death rate attached to the UK variant & the astra zeneca supply issue (60% reduction in vaccines in first quarter).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Was just going to say similar. while it may look worse with the de-notified cases still included, if they’re being included because the people live close enough to the border to be tested here, then they’re probably also close enough to impact on Waterford residents when doing shopping or working etc. It’s not a nice place to be on the table but it might also help people take things more seriously.

In fairness we are being portrayed as being one of the worst in the country at present and if it’s a case that these de-notified cases are not being removed from those incidence rate per 100,000, that’s really unfair.

First problem found is the numbers for today in Gov.ie and report handed out.

154 cases 14 day 100k pop 1567.4 and news cases 14 days 1821

if I include 154 to the confirmed cases I get 1813 not 1821.
    If I use 162 instead of 154 I get their numbers.

they seem to add the new briefing number to the confirmed lower numbers and calculate from there

inci.jpg

spookwoman wrote: »
    First problem found is the numbers for today in Gov.ie and report handed out.

154 cases 14 day 100k pop 1567.4 and news cases 14 days 1821

if I include 154 to the confirmed cases I get 1813 not 1821.
    If I use 162 instead of 154 I get their numbers.

they seem to add the new briefing number to the confirmed lower numbers and calculate from there

inci.jpg

So if that’s the case, we are actually where we are then?

So if that’s the case, we are actually where we are then?

Only gotten as far as donegal and cavan is the only one matching so far.

All done Left is the press release right is what I get using the confirmed numbers plus their briefing number. Tipp and Kilkenny swap places in my version
    incidence-diff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Junior Hurler

That day with the huge 8000 cases for Ireland falls out of the 14 day calc today so overall cases per 100k will fall. Currently Ireland is worst in EU over 14 days so that will improve. Waterford had a huge 514 cases that day which we drop so suspect it will slip down the county charts a bit.

• Advertisement

I'm listening to Brendan O'Connor's show on Radio 1 at moment. Micheal Martin is being interviewed. He has stated that the current restrictions look like lasting for the first six months of this year. He says the government is opting for conservative and caution in its approach going forward. They will review it every 4 weeks. However until a substantial proportion of our population is vaccinated we are going to be living with restrictions. In essence they are placing all their faith in the vaccination programme. He hasn't addressed the schools issue as yet....!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I'm listening to Brendan O'Connor's show on Radio 1 at moment. Micheal Martin is being interviewed. He has stated that the current restrictions look like lasting for the first six months of this year. He says the government is opting for conservative and caution in its approach going forward. They will review it every 4 weeks. However until a substantial proportion of our population is vaccinated we are going to be living with restrictions. In essence they are placing all their faith in the vaccination programme. He hasn't addressed the schools issue as yet....!

They should also look at ridiculous scenario of 40000 people that flew into the country from south Africa, Brazil and the UK over christmas and new years.
    Its infuriating.

Hijpo wrote: »
    They should also look at ridiculous scenario of 40000 people that flew into the country from south Africa, Brazil and the UK over christmas and new years.
    Its infuriating.

Seems like that they are gonna address this too. Mandatory quarantine and other measures to be announced after Tuesdays cabinet meeting. Pity they didn't think it earlier! Shuting the door after everyone has bolted comes to mind. Schools don't look to be opening up anytime soon either. When BOC put it to the Taoiseach about them being opened before Paddy's day he said probably not. They are looking for a phased return. Decision to be made on leaving certificate exams soon. Conservative and cautious are the words coming through. And perhaps a sense of realism. When you look back at Christmas it was all a bit mad eh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Seems like that they are gonna address this too. Mandatory quarantine and other measures to be announced after Tuesdays cabinet meeting. Pity they didn't think it earlier! Shuting the door after everyone has bolted comes to mind. Schools don't look to be opening up anytime soon either. When BOC put it to the Taoiseach about them being opened before Paddy's day he said probably not. They are looking for a phased return. Decision to be made on leaving certificate exams soon. Conservative and cautious are the words coming through. And perhaps a sense of realism. When you look back at Christmas it was all a bit mad eh?

It's infuriating that they have consistently refused to go the quarantine coming into the country route. If they had done that we would absolutely not be in the position we are in now. If people want to visit Ireland, even if it is to come home and visit family for Christmas they should be willing to pay to quarantine. You could make an exception for people coming to care for someone / see a dying loved one...or if they are coming back from doing same overseas...pretty easy to test low numbers at the airport and tell them they have to stay home until the negative test result comes back.
    The whole of Europe seem to have made a real balls of the quarantine thing, even waiting this long to require a negative test result is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Pardon my ignorance here, but exactly why are so many people from Brazil and South Africa even arriving to our tiny island? Nothing is open, the tourist industry is dead so that only leaves for work and family. Surely coming here to visit family is not an acceptable reason?

And the vaccination isnt the be all and end all. Nobody knows how long the vaccine will last for and if its effective against any new strains, thats a huge stumbling block towards returning to normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brazil has a significant resident population in certain towns mainly up in the north midlands and Dublin region. Processing plants. 13,640 in the 2016 census.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpnin/cpnin/brazilian/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hijpo wrote: »
    Its infuriating.

Ah here. It’s not like they all went to the Ritz over Christmas. That was local people, and local people spreading it. The travel issue is a distraction. There’s little to no enforcement of isolation of confirmed cases and close contacts. At least travellers are legally required to arrive with a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

faceman wrote: »
    Ah here. It’s not like they all went to the Ritz over Christmas. That was local people, and local people spreading it. The travel issue is a distraction. There’s little to no enforcement of isolation of confirmed cases and close contacts. At least travellers are legally required to arrive with a negative test.

Ah thats alright then. If no one brought the UK strain of the virus over to these shores by travelling then we can't have the UK strain.

In fact its all a conspiracy theory because if travelling hasn't spread coronavirus then we don't have it in Ireland.

btw before Christmas there was no requirement for a negative test so there we go another one of your little distractions.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

76 cases in Waterford in the last 24 hours. Waterford now the 6th highest incidence rate in the country.

Hard to know with it being the weekend, but it looks like the numbers might finally be creeping in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

faceman wrote: »

Missing the bigger picture by a mile.
    If foreign travel was ,at the the very least, controlled properly during a global pandemic we wouldn't be into our third lockdown because it's clear that the spread has exploded because of the UK variant who knows what the SA variant is responsible for.

Advertisement