Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

faceman wrote: »
    Ah here. It’s not like they all went to the Ritz over Christmas. That was local people, and local people spreading it. The travel issue is a distraction. There’s little to no enforcement of isolation of confirmed cases and close contacts. At least travellers are legally required to arrive with a negative test.

Bit of both really, 40k people travelling with many in confined spaces for hours with other people like airplanes and buses are definitely not good. On top of it you do have other people who went on the lash over Christmas contributing as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hijpo wrote: »
    Missing the bigger picture by a mile.
    If foreign travel was ,at the the very least, controlled properly during a global pandemic we wouldn't be into our third lockdown because it's clear that the spread has exploded because of the UK variant who knows what the SA variant is responsible for.

I don’t disagree at all with you. We can’t however ignore the bigger issues with cutting transmission sources

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Hijpo

faceman wrote: »
    I don’t disagree at all with you. We can’t however ignore the bigger issues with cutting transmission sources

Yeah 100% but the likes of restricting movement and closing down businesses while allowing travel from countries that are out of control relying solely on them honouring a request is extremely frustrating and makes me quite angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

daily-report-23-01-2021.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep were getting a fair chunk of Tipp traffic

• Advertisement

Th updated incidence with the correct numbers and yep our rating was wrong
    incidence-diff-updated.jpg

HSE operations report out

123 +9
    6 ICU no change

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Flow Motion

The figures are wrong for sure but there's not that much difference over a 14 day period TBH. 61 cases in total. Works out about 4 a day. Still over 1'500 for the period even though we are over three weeks into a lockdown. Looks like the UK variant at work locally.

The figures are wrong for sure but there's not that much difference over a 14 day period TBH. 61 cases in total. Works out about 4 a day. Still over 1'500 for the period even though we are over three weeks into a lockdown. Looks like the UK variant at work locally.

Its really to do with the reporting of wrong numbers for counties each day. Even though there is 55 in the difference between their 14 days briefing numbers and the confirmed numbers its still looks bad when there are such huge daily discrepancies reported daily for each county.
    The other is the typo's in the reports, these are done up by hse people I believe and if they are doing this on a daily basis what is is like for allocation of medical supplies etc.
    If it was a private company that type of thing would not be allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Hijpo

spookwoman wrote: »
    Its really to do with the reporting of wrong numbers for counties each day. Even though there is 55 in the difference between their 14 days briefing numbers and the confirmed numbers its still looks bad when there are such huge daily discrepancies reported daily for each county.
    The other is the typo's in the reports, these are done up by hse people I believe and if they are doing this on a daily basis what is is like for allocation of medical supplies etc.
    If it was a private company that type of thing would not be allowed to happen.

Careful now, you will have people demanding the health service be privatised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I saw that 60 people had died in Waterford in a week. Seems like a high number of people? Any of those deaths attributed to Covid? news and star reporting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote:
    Its really to do with the reporting of wrong numbers for counties each day. Even though there is 55 in the difference between their 14 days briefing numbers and the confirmed numbers its still looks bad when there are such huge daily discrepancies reported daily for each county. The other is the typo's in the reports, these are done up by hse people I believe and if they are doing this on a daily basis what is is like for allocation of medical supplies etc. If it was a private company that type of thing would not be allowed to happen.

If it was a private company, there would probably be more emphasis on the share price, and it would probably be left entirely up to people such as yourself to fish out the numbers, careful what you wish for. Are the errors a sign of a stressed system, it sounds like they're running out of staff?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I saw that 60 people had died in Waterford in a week. Seems like a high number of people? Any of those deaths attributed to Covid? news and star reporting it

I certainly dont want to take from the seriousness of Covid, but from looking at the death figures for the month of January 2021 against Jan 2020, there is only a single digit number difference, with Jan 2021 have slightly more. I know of about 10 deaths since the 8th Jan that have been classified as Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Something happen with Dunphys shop on the Manor? Shutters down yesterday. Wonder was it Covid related

iseegirls wrote: »
    Something happen with Dunphys shop on the Manor? Shutters down yesterday. Wonder was it Covid related

If dunphys is closed....its surely the begining of the apocalypse

iseegirls wrote: »

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I certainly dont want to take from the seriousness of Covid, but from looking at the death figures for the month of January 2021 against Jan 2020, there is only a single digit number difference, with Jan 2021 have slightly more. I know of about 10 deaths since the 8th Jan that have been classified as Covid.
    Possibly flu was a factor in some January 2020 deaths. I also heard anecdotally (but nobody that I actually knew) that some families are not posting death notices because they want to keep funerals private. I know it's a personal choice but I'm not sure I'd be mad about being on a public livestream of the funeral if one of my loved ones died.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any reason why the ladys Dunnes is open as usual for business? I thought under Level 5 all non essential retail was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Waterford should slip down a few more places in the 14 Day rate comparison with other counties as a 320 case count is dropped.
    That’s of course meaningless as regards the current situation in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Any reason why the ladys Dunnes is open as usual for business? I thought under Level 5 all non essential retail was closed.

What part was open? When I got shopping last week looking down from the food checkouts it looked like most of ladies clothes were taped off but not underwear.

Don't ask me why I noticed that :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What part was open? When I got shopping last week looking down from the food checkouts it looked like most of ladies clothes were taped off but not underwear.

Don't ask me why I noticed that :o

The Dunnes is open opposite the Arch coffee shop, the one that sells womens clothes. Just stuck out for me as none of the clothes were cordoned off, they only sell clothes so there are no essentials there and with click and collect over, i find it odd that they remain open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The test centre was closed from 3pm today, don’t know if you can read anything into that or maybe because of the weather

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If it was a private company, there would probably be more emphasis on the share price, and it would probably be left entirely up to people such as yourself to fish out the numbers, careful what you wish for. Are the errors a sign of a stressed system, it sounds like they're running out of staff?

Stressed system or not these are probably the same people putting the names together for the vaccines and keeping records of who has gotten the 1st dose. We've already seen the hand sanitiser and ventilators fiasco and nothing will really happen. The problem is there is no accountability, people hired and promoted well beyond their abilities and as my mother would say some got their jobs because they were friends with the corpse. It's not what you know it's who you know.

Also remember they were locking down counties due to incidence rates before the full one. So yes correct number are important because 2nd from top compared to 4th could mean county gets restricted more than another.

The Dunnes is open opposite the Arch coffee shop, the one that sells womens clothes. Just stuck out for me as none of the clothes were cordoned off, they only sell clothes so there are no essentials there and with click and collect over, i find it odd that they remain open.

They were open during last lockdown also, however clothes were taped off, they had Christmas sweets and biscuits and other things like that spread around the shop. No idea what they could be selling this time around. I know they are also still doing click and collect from their city square store as we ordered something last week thinking it would only be delivery only, but the option of C&K was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spookwoman wrote: »
    Stressed system or not these are probably the same people putting the names together for the vaccines and keeping records of who has gotten the 1st dose. We've already seen the hand sanitiser and ventilators fiasco and nothing will really happen. The problem is there is no accountability, people hired and promoted well beyond their abilities and as my mother would say some got their jobs because they were friends with the corpse. It's not what you know it's who you know.

Also remember they were locking down counties due to incidence rates before the full one. So yes correct number are important because 2nd from top compared to 4th could mean county gets restricted more than another.

data collection would require the involvement of frontline staff, i suspect that task is well down their list of priorities at the moment, baring in mind, many of their colleagues are still on sick leave, and i suspect most admins wouldnt be too keen in heading into covid wards, just to verify the data they are receiving, i certainly wouldnt be if i was in that role. we need to be very careful pointing fingers right now, we ve no real clue whats going on in these wards right now, unless we actually experience them on a regular basis, but footage coming out, doesnt look too good. staff are gonna require significant psychological supports when this passes, in fact, they actually need it right now, or our health system will never get back to any sort of normal madness.

yes of course fcuk ups have happened, and they ll more than likely continue to grow, as this progresses, this virus will show up all of our significant issues within our health system, and i suspect we wont make the changes required to prevent them in the future, we ll probably just default as usual. people have been screaming about how out of date our IT systems have been in our health care system for years, thats more than likely causing communication, data collection and verification problems, that probably wont change either after the fact, i.e. its not just the people involved. we ve decided to 'streamline' and create 'efficient' health care systems, we have in fact made them extremely vulnerable to severe shocks, so here we are!

theres no question, theres dreadful people also working in the system, but believe it or not, its the same in the private sector to, i.e. theres no conclusive evidence that a fully privatized system would truly improve the overall 'efficiency' of the system, i suspect, it would probably make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

50 cases in the last 24 hours in Waterford, with the caveats that (a) it's the weekend and (b) according to an earlier poster, the test centre was closed at 3pm today, although that may have more of an impact on tomorrow's figures.

I guess the recent cold weather has both a positive impact: in less people leaving their homes and potentially meeting others but negative as perhaps some people won't have been able to get out to get tested.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    data collection would require the involvement of frontline staff, i suspect that task is well down their list of priorities at the moment, baring in mind, many of their colleagues are still on sick leave, and i suspect most admins wouldnt be too keen in heading into covid wards, just to verify the data they are receiving, i certainly wouldnt be if i was in that role. we need to be very careful pointing fingers right now, we ve no real clue whats going on in these wards right now, unless we actually experience them on a regular basis, but footage coming out, doesnt look too good. staff are gonna require significant psychological supports when this passes, in fact, they actually need it right now, or our health system will never get back to any sort of normal madness.

yes of course fcuk ups have happened, and they ll more than likely continue to grow, as this progresses, this virus will show up all of our significant issues within our health system, and i suspect we wont make the changes required to prevent them in the future, we ll probably just default as usual. people have been screaming about how out of date our IT systems have been in our health care system for years, thats more than likely causing communication, data collection and verification problems, that probably wont change either after the fact, i.e. its not just the people involved. we ve decided to 'streamline' and create 'efficient' health care systems, we have in fact made them extremely vulnerable to severe shocks, so here we are!

theres no question, theres dreadful people also working in the system, but believe it or not, its the same in the private sector to, i.e. theres no conclusive evidence that a fully privatized system would truly improve the overall 'efficiency' of the system, i suspect, it would probably make it worse.

I don't want the system privatized, never said I did, I just think when reporting something the data needs to be correct and not full of errors, and even more so when these are Government sites putting the data out.
    You go onto the Gov.ie site for info and typo's in a lot of the previous reports. You can expect the odd mistake but this is pretty much day in and day out errors, often the same places and some just basic arithmetic.
    Is Ah sure it's nothing the acceptable response if when ordering vaccines for a certain vulnerable group in Waterford is short by a few 1,000 because someone didn't bother to double check their numbers?

From Darren Skelton ref discrepancies in numbers

Finally have a response to the numbers issue (make enough noise eh): County data should be considered provisional as the national Computerised Infectious Disease Reporting System (CIDR) is a dynamic system and case details are continually being validated and updated.
    In some instances, address data for the case may be incomplete when a case is first notified. When this occurs, the county of the testing laboratory is entered in the system as a default for the county of residence.
    There may also be cases where a person has a swab taken in their workplace and their work address may initially be recorded. Once more complete home address data on cases are received, the county of residence of the case is updated and if necessary re-allocated to a diff county
    County data for ‘today’s cases’ should therefore be considered provisional as this investigation may still be underway. The number of cases and incidence rates over 14 days would take account of this validation of the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Hijpo wrote: »
    Missing the bigger picture by a mile.
    If foreign travel was ,at the the very least, controlled properly during a global pandemic we wouldn't be into our third lockdown because it's clear that the spread has exploded because of the UK variant who knows what the SA variant is responsible for.

An earlier quarantining for inward travel should have been implemented last autumn in some shape or form .
    In fact the very announcement of such a system would surely have cut down significantly on the numbers coming in...when people pondered the inconvenience and costs involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anybody know if doctor surgeries are vaccinating people in Waterford yet?,or even what's the the vaccine program for Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nowhere near. Wont be until AstraZeneca vaccine is available....hmmm. :(

Advertisement