Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I know of two that died out there in the last 24 hrs.

If they are the same ones I’m aware of, neither of them had underlying health conditions and were under 50

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

faceman wrote: »
    If they are the same ones I’m aware of, neither of them had underlying health conditions and were under 50

im aware of this situation also, vey upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Flow Motion

A stark reminder of the danger's of the disease. It can have serious consequences for anyone regardless of age, fitness and health. I think the age of the youngest person listed nationally yesterday was 41. We all have to be careful.

I was walking into Ardkeen SC last Friday afternoon and some clown passed me at pace going in the door. Without a mask. Security man went after him. The clown was saying in a loud voice "I'm only going to the pharmacy". He wasn't old, probably late 30's, and he had a posh entitled accent on him. Think they managed to persuade him to leave.

I have been hearing stories of people who have contracted the virus despite being really careful all the way through. Don't know how they got it. A clown like the guy I mentioned above who goes about his business disregarding the public health advice can ruin all our personal efforts. Sad thing is he is not alone. A small minority for sure but that's why the numbers are only falling slowly.

Close contacts have not been tested since the start of the year due to the huge numbers. No word on when this is set to resume. Think they stopped when cases hit about 1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Close contacts have not been tested since the start of the year due to the huge numbers. No word on when this is set to resume. Think they stopped when cases hit about 1,500.

I think it depends on the GP as to testing or not . I've had 2 work colleagues and 3 friends tested last week as they were close contacts

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Actually close contacts stopped being tested just after Christmas when the backlog started, figures were over 4K at that stage. Currently some close contacts are being tested but it mainly just ones that are referred via a GP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Actually close contacts stopped being tested just after Christmas when the backlog started, figures were over 4K at that stage. Currently some close contacts are being tested but it mainly just ones that are referred via a GP

So are the numbers artificially lower now or were they artificially higher when close contact testing going on ?

What was it Donald Duck said-
    “if we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭JimWinters

I have been hearing stories of people who have contracted the virus despite being really careful all the way through. Don't know how they got it.

I know of one person who tested positive at the start of January, the only left the house once over Xmas, a small bit of grocery shopping on NYE. Their carer, only close contact, tested negative. So one trip to the shop is all it takes. Please wear masks, and sanitise your hands going in and again on the way out!

I know of an elderly lady who went in to hospital early last week with a non Covid related issue, unfortunately she contracted Covid while in there and since passed away on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Was one of those guys from Ballybeg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

2,388 cases nationally today, 95 in Waterford. Waterford has the second highest 14 day incident rate in the country now.

Wonder are those numbers still being driven largely by Tramore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

I think there's a few tables that spookwoman usually posts that should be able to tell us the hotspots in Waterford. I think they're done weekly (I could well be wrong) so, we'll see when they come out if it's still Tramore that has the highest numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

johnnykilo wrote: »
    2,388 cases nationally today, 95 in Waterford. Waterford has the second highest 14 day incident rate in the country now.

Wonder are those numbers still being driven largely by Tramore?

Seems to be. On last weeks numbers, Dungarvan had the lowest incidence rate in the country according to the Irish Times article
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-search-how-is-covid-19-spreading-in-your-area-1.4458712

"Dungarvan, Co Waterford, had the lowest rate of the virus in the last two weeks, with 101 cases across a population of 20,497, for an incidence rate of 492. One local area in Athlone had the second lowest rate of the virus, at 506 cases per 100,000."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Must be frustrating for Dungarvan, just as well there's no chance of county based lockdowns/unlockdowns coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It’s mad how numbers are still hovering low/mid 2000s.

Hopefully the vaccination policy in the health sector and nursing homes will be reflected in the figures in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Must be frustrating for Dungarvan, just as well there's no chance of county based lockdowns/unlockdowns coming back.

Was in town shopping today. The place is deserted you could even take your pick of parking in the square.

But thats how it should be only thing I saw that I thought shouldn't have been going on was a very obvious "essential" car washing business.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I know of two that died out there in the last 24 hrs.

Christ that's bad, you said before that you know others and that cannot be easy.

RIP
    I think there's a few tables that spookwoman usually posts that should be able to tell us the hotspots in Waterford. I think they're done weekly (I could well be wrong) so, we'll see when they come out if it's still Tramore that has the highest numbers.

not updated yet will probably be tomorrow

spookwoman wrote: »
    Christ that's bad, you said before that you know others and that cannot be easy.

RIP

Yeah that 4 people now who I knew, 1 in their 90's, 1 in their 80's 1 very early 70's and one who was 51. Suddenly the numbers get real when you put a name to them

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Yeah that 4 people now who I knew, 1 in their 90's, 1 in their 80's 1 very early 70's and one who was 51. Suddenly the numbers get real when you put a name to them

Sad news indeed but in all sincerity I hope that this brings it home to people

just how real this is and it's not a fantasy in other peoples mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

A stark reminder of the danger's of the disease. It can have serious consequences for anyone regardless of age, fitness and health. I think the age of the youngest person listed nationally yesterday was 41. We all have to be careful.

I was walking into Ardkeen SC last Friday afternoon and some clown passed me at pace going in the door. Without a mask. Security man went after him. The clown was saying in a loud voice "I'm only going to the pharmacy". He wasn't old, probably late 30's, and he had a posh entitled accent on him. Think they managed to persuade him to leave.

I have been hearing stories of people who have contracted the virus despite being really careful all the way through. Don't know how they got it. A clown like the guy I mentioned above who goes about his business disregarding the public health advice can ruin all our personal efforts. Sad thing is he is not alone. A small minority for sure but that's why the numbers are only falling slowly.

Not entirely true. I know of a few people this week and last week that were tested and were close contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Was one of those guys from Ballybeg?

No!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Apparently some anti mask/vac FB page is using the passing of a wexford doctor as part of their antivac propaganda by suggesting he died after being vaccinated.

The lows some people stoop to is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hijpo wrote: »
    Apparently some anti mask/vac FB page is using the passing of a wexford doctor as part of their antivac propaganda by suggesting he died after being vaccinated.

The lows some people stoop to is sickening.

Pretty low alright. Some of those screwballs need to just get the virus and suffer so bad that they will be begging for the vaccine thats the only way they will see sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Worth a read gemma's day in court. This is what we are up against when trying to contain the virus and stop the spread

https://twitter.com/courtsnewsIRL/status/1351974398635503620?s=20

https://twitter.com/courtsnewsIRL/status/1351976752281747459?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Pretty low alright. Some of those screwballs need to just get the virus and suffer so bad that they will be begging for the vaccine thats the only way they will see sense..

If they get the virus they won't need the vaccine...

spookwoman wrote:
    Worth a read gemma's day in court. This is what we are up against when trying to contain the virus and stop the spread

That poor woman needs help

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

er1983 wrote: »
    Not entirely true. I know of a few people this week and last week that were tested and were close contacts

I think it depends on the gp. It used to be that close contacts got tested as a rule but now, it depends on your GP whether or not they forward you for testing. So, there is definitely some close contacts still being tested but not all, like in the past.
    spookwoman wrote: »

https://twitter.com/courtsnewsIRL/status/1351974398635503620?s=20

https://twitter.com/courtsnewsIRL/status/1351976752281747459?s=20

It's actually quite frightening how stupid these people are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Gemma very clearly has severe psychiatric problems...some of the people who follow her are just a bit dim but she is medically unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I used to have sympathy for her but the stuff she said about Garda Donohoe was just plain evil and her defending of Aaron Brady, I have no words for it.
    Mental health issues or not that stuff shouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Poor woman my h*le

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=RacoonQueen;115993608]Gemma very clearly has severe psychiatric problems...some of the people who follow her are just a bit dim but she is medically unwell.[/QUOTE]

oh i think so to
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    I used to have sympathy for her but the stuff she said about Garda Donohoe was just plain evil and her defending of Aaron Brady, I have no words for it.
    Mental health issues or not that stuff shouldn't be tolerated.

she sure does come out with some awful stuff

nhs but...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-55724994

Advertisement