Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Seriously, why don’t they just hand Spike the belt and spare him these beatings..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A very sweet homecoming for Caleb Plant just now in Nashville. A masterclass of complete domination against a tough but simply outclassed Feigenbutz. Full arsenal on show and won every round until the ref stepped in during the 10th.

Happy for Plant as he's had some tragedy since winning the belt.

Interesting that all belt holders in this division are unbeaten. Benavidez next?

Plant looks the part, alright. But as Benavidez alluded to, “easy to look good against a bum..“

All these lads from 160-168 just need to start fooking fighting each other...

Smith, Canelo, Plant, Saunders, Golovkin, Benavidez......

Few more I am sure...Ryder is actually rated top ten, which is sad...despite him doing well v Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tbf Ryder just fought the fight of his life against Smith, and many felt he won that fight.
    So his top 10 rating after that is somewhat understandable.

You look at Fedor Chudinov, Anvi Yildrim and David Lemiuex being in the Ring's top 10 and you start to question the amount of depth at the weight.

Some decent fights could be made amongst the top guys though !

Big Ears wrote: »
    Tbf Ryder just fought the fight of his life against Smith, and many felt he won that fight.
    So his top 10 rating after that is somewhat understandable.

You look at Fedor Chudinov, Anvi Yildrim and David Lemiuex being in the Ring's top 10 and you start to question the amount of depth at the weight.

Some decent fights could be made amongst the top guys though !

Ryder was in the fight, against a lackluster Smith, who himself, has beaten nobody...

Ryder is at best European level, and juts about,. He's just very average...

Chudinov and Yildrim,.....my head actually hurts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

walshb wrote: »
    Ryder was in the fight, against a lackluster Smith, who himself, has beaten nobody...

Ryder is at best European level, and juts about,. He's just very average...

Chudinov and Yildrim,.....my head actually hurts...

"Nobody" is a bit harsh on George Groves, no? He was far from elite, but had a good career.

"Nobody" is a bit harsh on George Groves, no? He was far from elite, but had a good career.

Groves was a bit past his best days.

Froch ruined Groves. Fight 1 took so much out of him. He was never the same again..

So, yes, Smith has faced nobody. By nobody, I mean elite/great......I didn't think I needed to emphasize this.

For example: I think Canelo eats Smith alive....Smith is just not that good/great. His best win is an over the hill shopworn Groves!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Canelo vs Saunders May 2nd

Canelo vs Saunders May 2nd

Brilliant!

I was hearing rumours, but didn’t really expect Saunders to actually fight a live opponent..

Brilliant!

I was hearing rumours, but didn’t really expect Saunders to actually fight a live opponent..

They were reading our post from yesterday and realised they better get it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

May 2nd seems to be date for everyone.

Josh taylor is in Glasgow v khongsong

and Dillian Whyte V povetkin is being looked at aswell

I am still not seeing anything solid for Canelo's next opponent.....

Is BJS in with a shot? Not sure he is, reading Golden Boy!

Smith and BJS mentioned here.....

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-still-not-sure-if-canelo-fight-saunders-callum-smith--147132

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I am still not seeing anything solid for Canelo's next opponent.....

Is BJS in with a shot? Not sure he is reading Golden Boy!

Smith and BJS mentioned here.....

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-still-not-sure-if-canelo-fight-saunders-callum-smith--147132

Eddie on Ariel's show had a call from "Smith's lawyer" but said nothing is sorted yet but it's between him and bjs.

I think it’s Smith for Canelo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Great to see Roman Gonzalez reeling back the years. Proper legend of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Morrison J wrote: »

As good as ever there. Intense performance. What a pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Morrison J wrote: »

Yep delighted for him

Just catching up on the Texas card. Parker blasted a nobody out of it rd 5

Cesar Martinez and Jay Harris in a good fight. Martinez is fantastic to watch..

Just catching up on the Texas card. Parker blasted a nobody out of it rd 5

Cesar Martinez and Jay Harris in a good fight. Martinez is fantastic to watch..

Andrew Selby, Rosales, Harris and he had Charlie Edwards beat as well before Eddie got in the WBC's ear

He's on a good run

Jay also good to watch. Lovely delivery...

• Advertisement

Difference with Harris and Martinez was power. Harris landed a lot, and easily enough, but couldn’t really hurt Martinez. Martinez was hurting Harris more..

Difference with Harris and Martinez was power. Harris landed a lot, and easily enough, but couldn’t really hurt Martinez. Martinez was hurting Harris more..

Just saw it. Was a lovely fight. Well done Harris, he can take a punch

Yafai to me looks like he is just not on world level.

Delighted another hyped Hearn lad exposed...

I think that's a little harsh, more that in a weight class with several elite level fighter in there, he's not elite.

I think if he moves up in weight, while he'd have no chance against the likes of Inoue, he probably would pick up another version of a World title.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Andrew Selby, Rosales, Harris and he had Charlie Edwards beat as well before Eddie got in the WBC's ear

He's on a good run

To be fair that was an illegal blow against Charlie, Martinez was gonna stop him either way though the way things were going.

To be fair that was an illegal blow against Charlie, Martinez was gonna stop him either way though the way things were going.

Illegal, and stupidly unnecessary.

They were all calling for a rematch straight away until WBC over turned the result then all of a sudden he was vacating and moving up 🀷*♂️

Martinez was gonna beat him either way

Big Ears wrote: »
    I think that's a little harsh, more that in a weight class with several elite level fighter in there, he's not elite.

I think if he moves up in weight, while he'd have no chance against the likes of Inoue, he probably would pick up another version of a World title.

Gonzalez is past his best and fighting very up in weight from when he was his best, yet he still completely dominated Yafai.

Gonzalez is past his best and fighting very up in weight from when he was his best, yet he still completely dominated Yafai.

Exactly. Chocalito is past his best, fighting a younger and bigger man..and he beat him easily..

• Advertisement

Correct, because Chocalatito was arguably the p4p best fighter in the World a few years ago. A faded Gonzalez is still an exceptionally good fighter.

It'd be the same as ripping a fighter because he was dominated by a past it Manny Pacquiao.
    Manny is well past his best, but he's still an elite level fighter. Same story with Gonzalez.

Advertisement