Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Kovalev is definitely soft to the body and Ward exploited it very well. He was complaining about low blows that were perfectly fine body shots. It was also one of the main things that dragged him back into the first fight after the early knockdown and Kovalev's higher output of power shots. Ward powered on as each round passed whereas Kovalev was breathing out his ass midway and aside from a flurry or two in one of the late rounds Ward was clearly the fitter man and put in the more consistent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fight 1 Kovalev was competitive and fighting throughout..

From rd 1 to 12 inclusive...no stamina issues. Of course he may have felt tired. He may have “weakened” cardio wise late on, but that’s nothing unusual in boxing. He was fighting with Ward and keeping up with Ward all the way. That is what needs to be looked at, not a feeling that he was gassed by an image here and there..he was nowhere near out on his feet or knackered...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think it's pretty clear he has stamina issues to be fair. Alvarez said that the snap in his punches was gone after the first few rounds. I don't think Kovalev lives the life tbh. Apparently has alcohol issues. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that's true.

For such a highly rated fighter he has plenty of flaws tbh. Poor stamina, doesn't take a shot well and little inside game at all. Took fighting someone as good as Ward to expose those flaws. Alvarez was shown the blueprint and took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If he indeed has alcohol issues that would explain a lot of his more recent flaws . As you say Alvarez took note of what Ward did against Kovalev,and followed it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

pac_man wrote: »
    TJ Doheny giving a very good account of himself so far in Japan.

Close fight, probably needs to do a bit more if he wants to get the decision over there but doing well.

• Advertisement

Looking very tired now in the 11th.

Yeah I think he's just come a bit short on this.Have it 116-112.

A great effort by TJ but I think Iwasa kind of sealed it in the championship rounds.

TJ wins. Strange call I thought but fair play.

The most confusing ending to an announcement. Anyone know the scores?

116 - 112
    117 - 112
    115 - 113

Can't believe those cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Johner wrote: »
    116 - 112
    117 - 112
    115 - 113

Can't believe those cards.

I watched it on a Japanese feed with no commentary and thought it was a very, very odd result. I'd had it down as a draw at best for Doheny, particularly with him fighting in Iwasa's back garden. Can't believe the first two scorecards in particular, especially with Doheny missing with so many punches.

The only thing I can think of was he was landing consistently with the right jab, but it did no damage whatsoever and Iwasa looked like he was happy to take it to open him up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

David Price v Sean Turner announced for MTK Belfast show

gwalk wrote: »
    David Price v Sean Turner announced for MTK Belfast show

Now there's a fight Pricey can win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Spike O Sullivan fights Lemieux on the GGGCanello2 undercard

Declan Gerraghty v Marco Mcullough

Tyrone McCullagh
    Steven Ward

added to the MTK Belfast Show

Garcia-Thurman September 8 could be an absolute belter....can't wait.

Not sure who is showing it. Not listed on Sky or BoxNation yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

It's Garcia v Porter on the 8th of September. Being shown on boxnation , reckon Garcia should have too much boxing ability for him , I find porter hard to watch at times tbh ,constantly leads with his head .

Senor Frog wrote: »
    It's Garcia v Porter on the 8th of September. Being shown on boxnation , reckon Garcia should have too much boxing ability for him , I find porter hard to watch at times tbh ,constantly leads with his head .

But he'a an awful strong and awkward sod. Makes for a great fight, because Garcia usually meets fire with fire; stands right in the pocket and trades.

Sky and BoxNation have not got this advertised....

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

I see BoxNation have the Garcia/Porter fight advertised on their website now. Worth a watch anyway. Hopefully they can keep getting decent fights from the US, but you'd have to think that their days are numbered

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

There's no doubting he is strong for the weight ,akward and extremely fit ,but I just think if Garcia sticks to his fundamentals he will out box him handy enough . Says here it's being shown on boxnation :
    https://box.live/fights/garcia-vs-porter/

Would really like to see Thurman and Garcia rematch ,with Garcia knowing he has to do more to win than he gave last time , was expecting a much better fight first time round .

I expect Danny to be too polished for Porter, but maybe it won't be at all that easy/clear. Could see a lot of close fought rds here. Porter, if not looking as if he is winning them, making Danny look "bad."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I expect a 115-113 type UD for Garcia. His chin seems to be very very good, and he can box pretty well and trade very well inside as well. He's quite a strong lad too who won't be put off by Porter's rough housing. Porter is a beast though and I know a lot of people felt he beat Thurman. It should be a really really good fight. Hopefully the winner fights Spence as Thurman seems to be just indefinitely injured and it will make for another great fight.

Burnett v Donaire and Taylor v Martin November 3rd in Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I love Amir Khan's vunerability! Garcia by late stoppage tonight.

gwalk wrote: »
    Declan Gerraghty v Marco Mcullough

Tyrone McCullagh
    Steven Ward

added to the MTK Belfast Show

Geraghty pulled out
    Sean Turner out too

That's a terrible fight for Price to take, not going to end well for him.

Usyk - Bellew confirmed. Near impossible task for Bellew in my opinion but fair play to him for taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Morrison J wrote: »
    Usyk - Bellew confirmed. Near impossible task for Bellew in my opinion but fair play to him for taking it.

With a bit of luck the Sky hype machine will build Tony up so much that there is a bit of value in betting on Usyk.

ThunderCat wrote: »

With a bit of luck the Sky hype machine will build Tony up so much that there is a bit of value in betting on Usyk.
    Yep, anything close to evens for Usyk points and I'll be all over it.

I think it's a good move for Bellew but it was either this or retire. I'm sure he has made his money from the Haye fights. He's expected to get beaten soundly so it's worth the risk as Usyk isn't a huge puncher. Small chance of a Bellew KO as well.

• Advertisement

He probably views it as a less “dangerous” fight than some of the bigger and heavier punchers he has faced...maybe that will be his undoing, and maybe he’ll get a surprise as regards the hurt Usyk can deliver...

Advertisement