Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,723 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In the ring now

Close opening rd that Kelly nicked for me....

Needs to press home now and be more offensively busy...

Another close rd 2 that I nicked to Kelly for the better work towards the end....

If Kelly was a little more offensive she'd be winning this cleaner

Both rds could be argued for both boxers.

Another really close rd.....

Kelly for me....but very close fight.

Yes...get in there.

as I scored it

30-27 across the board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yes close fight, not huge quality to be honest. Thought it would be split at least, key was she finished rounds that bit better.

Just delighted for her. Kind of needed that.

Don’t know who won the first sf so no idea who she faces in the final.

Yes close fight, not huge quality to be honest. Thought it would be split at least, key was she finished rounds that bit better.

I thought she nicked each rd, and nice to see unanimity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That was the way I read it. Thought it was up in the air as the final bell went and that the second was the only one she definitely won.

She did work the body well mind you.

That was the way I read it. Thought it was up in the air as the final bell went and that the second was the only one she definitely won.

She did work the body well mind you.

I was confident she’d get it, but in no way certain of it so was relieved to see the verdict. It was too cagey a fight for comfort, I thought both wanted the other to come forward so it led to lengthy periods of feeling out and stagnation. She’s a good fighter though and quality just about carried her through. Amazing achievement if she can follow up with gold here.

• Advertisement

The key difference for me was Kelly appeared to want it more. She led more and she controlled the action more...

It’s the Thai fighter up next for gold. Haven’t seen her box so tricky to analyze. Very experienced but hasn’t shown previously that she was world champion level. Actually fought at 75kg at last world championships. Kelly has never beaten Potkonen - 3 defeats I think - so the fact the Thai girl beat Potkonen in the qf suggests she has upped her level this year and will present a formidable test.

6th world title for Mary Kom, goes one clear of Katie Taylor to hold all time record on her own. Incredible achievement.

Kelly Harrington 60kg final up within the hour I’d expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭normanoffside

This German girl is going to get screwed right? That was a clear knockdown

This German girl is going to get screwed right? That was a clear knockdown

Thankfully not, although one judge gave it to the Indian.

Thankfully she didn’t get done but how the fck is it not unanimous? 30-26 I’d have scored it.

Thankfully she didn’t get done but how the fck is it not unanimous? 30-26 I’d have scored it.

I thought for a moment that the ref was gonna dock her a point in the 3rd. Wasn't it the same ref as Conlon-Nikitin in Rio?

Anyway Kelly up now

I thought for a moment that the ref was gonna dock her a point in the 3rd. Wasn't it the same ref as Conlon-Nikitin in Rio?

Anyway Kelly up now

It was our own Sadie Duffy! I don’t know about the knockdown, the punch didn’t look to land cleanly but still looked ok to me. They just seem inclined to give benefit of doubt.

I think the Thai girl shaded the first. Very tight though.

Hard to call the 2nd. Maybe Kellie just shaded it but I wouldn't be surprised if she is 2 down

• Advertisement

First hard to call but I’d give that to kelly, upped it well there I thought

Good work in the last 10 seconds might have nicked the fight?

Could swing either way.

She got it 3-2
    One of the judges gave all 3 to the Thai

So tight, just relieved she got it, could have gone either way. Flurry towards end certainly did no harm. Maybe better movement overall too might have marginally swung it.

Eddie Hearn news is reporting that Usyk will be ringside for Delboy vs Whyte 2 in order to challenge the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Eddie Hearn news is reporting that Usyk will be ringside for Delboy vs Whyte 2 in order to challenge the winner.

I think Whyte wins this easier second time around. Usyk would be better off fighting the loser, Chisora a far easier fight for him.

I'd probably avoid both tho if I was managing him until fight 2/3 at the weight, go have a couple of tune up against the likes of Martin or Duhaupas.

If Usyk needs tune ups to beat the likes of Delboy and Whyte he should stay at CW....Delboy is muck...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

walshb wrote: »
    If Usyk needs tune ups to beat the likes of Delboy and Whyte he should stay at CW....Delboy is muck...

Chisora is poor I agree but Whyte is very dangerous for a guy new at the weight. Also as Chisora showed in the first Whyte fight if he's motivated he's one tough ****er to get rid of and in the Taken fight too plus he has a punch that can take Usyk out at any stage. I think Usyk beats him but I'd ease into the division first. Get used to carrying extra weight, doing the round etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think Whyte is all that dangerous, if Uysk is a force to be reckoned with at heavyweight he should beat the likes of Whyte and Chisora. The sky hype job would have you believe Whyte is an elite level heavyweight, he is just a gatekeeper. If Whyte fights Joshua in April, i think Joshua will dispatch him a lot quicker this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

[HTML][/HTML]
    I don't think Whyte is all that dangerous, if Uysk is a force to be reckoned with at heavyweight he should beat the likes of Whyte and Chisora. The sky hype job would have you believe Whyte is an elite level heavyweight, he is just a gatekeeper. If Whyte fights Joshua in April, i think Joshua will dispatch him a lot quicker this time around

Whyte mightnt be elite level but he has stepped up in recent times. There were doubts over whether he could beat Helenius, Browne and Parker and he has stepped up each time. Yes, with hindsight Helenius didnt look interested and Browne was out of shape, but he took dangerous fights others wouldnt have and beat what was in front of him.

Usyk should be a different level though.

Advertisement