Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tazz T wrote: »
    Again the pandemic is over. The US didn't do it right under Trump. But they've rolled out the vaccinations and sorted it. They're now acting proportionally. we are not.

Numbers are down. Restrictions are now disproportional.

Next month we'll be down to negligible numbers, half the population vaccinated and still unrationally restricted, destroying the economy.

On the bright side, as the pandemic disappears, so will you.

Eh? Have you told the WHO?

https://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/sections/statements/2021/statement-surging-pandemic-surpasses-1-million-deaths-in-the-who-european-region

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Corholio wrote: »
    Surely can be used to discuss actual travel, future travel, destinations which are opening up

Yes the future, hopefully France opens up soon once we’re vaccinated . Miss the auld road trips and filling the boot up with wine on the way back. I was just thinking about that tonight. France is a nice country to drive through, ended up down near Italy the last time :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭normanoffside

saabsaab wrote: »
    My arguments and those of others are nothing to do with enjoyment or not. Those that go and stay away are fine as far as I can see (not bringing variants back)

So why fine them for leaving?

Again the pandemic is over. The US didn't do it right under Trump. But they've rolled out the vaccinations and sorted it. They're now acting proportionally. we are not.

Numbers are down. Restrictions are now disproportional.

Next month we'll be down to negligible numbers, half the population vaccinated and still unrationally restricted, destroying the economy.

On the bright side, as the pandemic disappears, so will you.

I see. I also partly agree.

None of that however changes the continued ignorance as to WHY Irish numbers are low and the us so high.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You’re still not capable of understanding are you? I’d appreciate you don’t swear at me, is that normal practice for a GARD? Very aggressive.

I never said it made me untouchable? Show me where i said that? You made that up or you’re seeing things. The fine does not relate to me anyway so i have no reason to think a different passport makes me untouchable.

I said “true” because of the fact i can’t be fined for relocating out of the country. You are taking the word “ true” and adding 2+2 and getting 5. You need to learn to properly understand peoples posts and not see what you want to see. Now go back under your rock as i have answered your question.

i have been in this and all the travel threads so no rock involved.

The other users comment was very clearly suggesting that the passport was the main factor. He asked you specifically about it.

But now you understand that the passport is irrelevant and therefore the other users comment was in fact, not correct so that's fine

So why fine them for leaving?

No one is being fined for leaving and not coming back. You really don't seem to understand the subject.

• Advertisement

You can't prove a negative. You can however prove where you are a resident and it's got absolutely **** all to do with your passport.

So again for both of you, why do you think the passport makes your immune?

Heading home boss ;) here’s my x passport.

Are you seriously saying that if someone shows you a Spanish passport (Insert any country) you are going to ask them to prove they are resident in Spain (Insert any country).
    You know as well as I do that that doesn’t happen.

So you agree that the passport is irrelevant and therefore the other users comment was in fact, not correct?

Once again i never suggested otherwise. It was all in your head so your question is totally irrelevent to me. So less of the condescending arrogance.

No one is being fined for leaving and not coming back. You really don't seem to understand the subject.

People are getting fined for leaving, how does one prove they are coming back or not coming back?
    I can say I am not coming back and then there is a family emergency and come back next week, it doesn’t mean I am lying.

Do I have to prove I have sold my house?

Why is it your business anyway?

People are getting fined for leaving, how does one prove they are coming back or not coming back?
    I can say I am not coming back and then there is a family emergency and come back next week, it doesn’t mean I am lying.

If i was leaving Ireland and Mr Niner Leprechaun became paranoid and didn’t believe me and issued me a fine i wouldn’t be too worried about it to be honest. It would come in handy if one ran out of jacks roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Corholio wrote: »
    The other thread is about shutting the airports etc with it's eloquent title, so whats this for? Surely can be used to discuss actual travel, future travel, destinations which are opening up and more, requirements etc...

Future plans:

Today I booked a trip with 6 friends for two weeks in the Algarve from late August to early Sep.

I have already a week booked in late Sep for Rhodes.

Berlin and Hamburg booked for early October.

Optimistic? Probably. But I genuinely love travel, I have friends the exact same and it's been killing us being away from it.

I had been planning a US Trip, but I've pushed it to 2022 that with an intent to visit Asia. I've to fall in love with my doorstep first, again though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

US adding 80% of the world to the US State department level 4 "do not travel". That will massively reduce those travelling as it effects travel insurance.
    Level 4

State Department: “Do Not Travel. This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.”

CDC: “Very high level of Covid-19. Travelers should avoid all travel to these destinations.”

https://twitter.com/bbchealth/status/1384453577209524225?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

While other countries are open or planning to open, we're figuring out how to stay closed for a year!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mandatory-hotel-quarantine-extra-civil-servants-urgently-sought-for-up-to-a-year-1.4542917

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

eltonyio wrote: »
    While other countries are open or planning to open, we're figuring out how to stay closed for a year!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mandatory-hotel-quarantine-extra-civil-servants-urgently-sought-for-up-to-a-year-1.4542917

I think your missing the point here

I'm against MHQ for EU countries by the way but its going to be needed for a while for the likes of Brazil & India countries with huge numbers & a not so great vaccine rollout so far. EU travel shouldn't be an issue with the digital pass & I'll include the US in that too but there's going to be some sort of restrictions quite possibly on travel to the likes of the South American countries and parts of Asia.

It's likely to be in for a while but not for most countries. Would only make sense that they've enough staff available should it be needed for a few countries.

The sooner MHQ goes the better but for a few countries it'll probably be around for a while until they get their house in order

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

if I fly to greece at the moment thru the netherlands and come back the same way, i can avoid quarentine both ways. it is an essential trip... for work.

greece dropped their quarentine the other day, as long as you have a negative PCR, appreciate if I am reading this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

gallyind wrote: »
    if I fly to greece at the moment thru the netherlands and come back the same way, i can avoid quarentine both ways. it is an essential trip... for work.

greece dropped their quarentine the other day, as long as you have a negative PCR, appreciate if I am reading this right.

Neither of those countries are on our MHQ list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I think your missing the point here

I'm against MHQ for EU countries by the way but its going to be needed for a while for the likes of Brazil & India countries with huge numbers & a not so great vaccine rollout so far. EU travel shouldn't be an issue with the digital pass & I'll include the US in that too but there's going to be some sort of restrictions quite possibly on travel to the likes of the South American countries and parts of Asia.

It's likely to be in for a while but not for most countries. Would only make sense that they've enough staff available should it be needed for a few countries.

The sooner MHQ goes the better but for a few countries it'll probably be around for a while until they get their house in order

I agree with this. I feel MHQ will be necessary for certain Countries for a while but I do not agree for EU Countries which hopefully will no longer be on that List once we get to a certain point in the EU Vaccination Programme.

Heading home boss ;) here’s my x passport.

Are you seriously saying that if someone shows you a Spanish passport (Insert any country) you are going to ask them to prove they are resident in Spain (Insert any country).
    You know as well as I do that that doesn’t happen.

You don't know that doesn't happen. I'm not sure why you are insisting that it doesn't. Plenty of Irish are residents abroad. What about them and not importantly, do you think they are immune from the law where they live?

Again, passports aren't an issue unless it's as proof of identity in which case your already getting the fine

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If i was leaving Ireland and Mr Niner Leprechaun became paranoid and didn’t believe me and issued me a fine i wouldn’t be too worried about it to be honest. It would come in handy if one ran out of jacks roll.

Hmmm, wouldn't that mean you were able to obtain the fine that was issued to your old Irish address? That fine would then become a summons. Presumable that would not be delivered though.

It's not my business here. I don't care. If I was standing at the checkpoint it would become my business. The same as any Garda at any checkpoint.

I don't think you understand this issue at all. Not one bit. Have you actually been to the airport and spoken to the Gardai there?

How do you think they go about it? Irish passport = fine. Foreign passport = somehow immune? Not how it works.

The simple fact however is that people emigrating are not subject to a fine.

Foreign nationals going home after working on the ships or driving deliveries in aren't my concern either so they don't get fines.

India will be added to the UKs red list on Friday.

Likley to be also added here

Doesn't look good.

Case numbers up, infection rate up with 261,500 new cases registered last Sunday alone and its highest single-day figure so far. A million new cases in less than a week and now surpassing 14 million total cases overall.

Looks like India thought they were out of it too.
    As my colleague Mihir Sharma has written, arrogance, hyper-nationalism and incompetence helped foster a fatal sense of complacency amid India’s apparent success against the outbreak earlier this year. Until a few weeks ago, lockdown restrictions had been progressively loosening for months. Cinemas were allowed to open to full capacity Feb. 1. Health Minister Harsh Vardhan declared the country “in the endgame of the Covid-19 pandemic” in early March, at almost precisely the point that cases started to surge again

https://m.economictimes.com/news/india/indias-surging-case-count-will-make-the-pandemic-more-deadly-in-2021/articleshow/82154834.cms

Hmmm, wouldn't that mean you were able to obtain the fine that was issued to your old Irish address? That fine would then become a summons. Presumable that would not be delivered though.

My post was in tongue in cheek. It’s not even an argument anyway. Emigration isn’t breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

Neither of those countries are on our MHQ list

thanks, thats great,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wonder how many more cases of the Indian variant they allow into Ireland before actually putting that country on the list?
    Their lethargic response is a bit bewildering. Nobody is saying to throw caution to the wind but Ireland needs to be a bit more dynamic in how we react to fast changing events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

It's not my business here. I don't care. If I was standing at the checkpoint it would become my business. The same as any Garda at any checkpoint.

I don't think you understand this issue at all. Not one bit. Have you actually been to the airport and spoken to the Gardai there?

How do you think they go about it? Irish passport = fine. Foreign passport = somehow immune? Not how it works.

The simple fact however is that people emigrating are not subject to a fine.

Foreign nationals going home after working on the ships or driving deliveries in aren't my concern either so they don't get fines.

Let's take a hypothetical situation of a retired couple who bought a sunny retirement home in an EU country currently on the MHQ list and they spend half their time there and half their time in Ireland. They arrive at the airport and say they are flying home. They have proof of electricity bills, insurance, residential and habitation tax etc from their home outside Ireland. What happens in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

US adding 80% of the world to the US State department level 4 "do not travel". That will massively reduce those travelling as it effects travel insurance.

https://twitter.com/bbchealth/status/1384453577209524225?s=20

The key word is 'advisory'. This is not a ban on travel to these countries. There's no $2000 fine for heading to the airport.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wonder how many more cases of the Indian variant they allow into Ireland before actually putting that country on the list?
    Their lethargic response is a bit bewildering. Nobody is saying to throw caution to the wind but Ireland needs to be a bit more dynamic in how we react to fast changing events.

Three detected here so far. 160 detected in UK. India to be added to UKs list this Friday. Reckon we will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

Kivaro wrote: »

There is nothing dynamic, or scientific, about the list of countries. There is a dartboard and a map approach to this.

• Wallis and Futuna - 3 (yes, three) new cases in the last 7 days in total - MHQ for those guys
    • India -c200,000 cases per day, not on the list
    • Belgium c3,500 cases per day - MHQ
    • Netherlands (their neighbours, with more flights routes and open borders between the 2) - c7,000 cases per day - not on the list
    IF anyone can explain the logic of the above I would like to read it.

I am against MHQ for EU countries (and others with tests/ vaccines) but the way this fiasco is being rolled out is not leaving anyone happy, either the zero covid guys who want more countries added, or others who want a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I am against MHQ for EU countries (and others with tests/ vaccines) but the way this fiasco is being rolled out is not leaving anyone happy, either the zero covid guys who want more countries added, or others who want a free for all.

MHD for EU countries is just mental, all countries are signed up to receive Vaccines bought as part of the bloc, however when it comes to travel they are throwing up porous leaky physical borders against travel, with many exemptions and ways around the physical borders...
    I wish they would just stop this and focus Govt. and state resources onto why we were told these lockdowns were for....i.e. Protect the health service...

There is nothing dynamic, or scientific, about the list of countries. There is a dartboard and a map approach to this.
    • Wallis and Futuna - 3 (yes, three) new cases in the last 7 days in total - MHQ for those guys
    • India -c200,000 cases per day, not on the list
    • Belgium c3,500 cases per day - MHQ
    • Netherlands (their neighbours, with more flights routes and open borders between the 2) - c7,000 cases per day - not on the list
    IF anyone can explain the logic of the above I would like to read it.

eltonyio - no idea what the agenda there is. You keep repeating the exact same thing for some reason. This was already posted.
    Quote:Notes

The Expert Advisory Group on Travel (EAGT) was established on 1 March 2021 to develop a method of risk assessing States and consider all concerns COVID-19 poses for travel.

The Group meets every two weeks to recommend amendments to the list of Designated States, taking into account:

countries with outbreak involving known variants of concern

countries with a very high 14-day incidence (≥500/100,000)

countries with a high 14-day incidence (greater than 2.5 times Ireland’s 14-day incidence but <500/100,000)

These recommendations are considered by the Chief Medical Officer who in turn makes a recommendation to the Minister for Health.

The EAGT has emphasised the ongoing risk presented by variants of concern, variants of interest and the challenge posed by the limited availability of data relating to the locations and spread of VOCs.

The group will give ongoing consideration to any other measures they deem required to reduce the risk of imported cases of COVID-19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The key word is 'advisory'. This is not a ban on travel to these countries. There's no $2000 fine for heading to the airport.

For sure it's different. It would put a lot of people off travelling if their travel insurance is invalidated though. No EHIC card if coming from America so could be very expensive and not worth it for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Chuck Norris 2021

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/extra-staff-urgently-needed-for-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-1115051.html

They're trying to hire staff for an initial 3 months, which could be extended to a year for MHQ. I would assume though that this will only apply to 3 world countries by then though. Another article this morning suggests that there may be low levels of infection around for the next 2 years, mainly in the developing world, so I guess the requirement might remain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement