Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Good tone coming from from Leo!

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/irishpubs-level5update-wetbars-lockdownireland-restrictions-20431516

Speaking on Instagram on Tuesday, the Fine Gael leader said that "we'll be able to set out what can open in May and give some indication as to whether things will open in June or July."

At present, gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools are all closed due to Level 5 restrictions but Vardakar said that "if anyone's going to make the case to Cabinet for (reopening of gyms), it's going to be me."

"I know gyms are opening in England and Northern Ireland, if they haven't already, and people are keen to get back to them. I guarantee you that if anyone's going to make the case to Cabinet for that (gyms reopening), it's going to be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Leo looking for that 4 plate squat and no pandemic is gonna get in the way of that!

DylanJM wrote: »
    Training at home just doesn't compare for me. The social aspect of the gym is the part I miss most. I know lots of people just see the gym as a place to train but I much prefer social gyms where there are people who have the same passion for training as I do. Training with friends is a whole lot more fun. It's also much harder to push yourself when training alone I think. Atmosphere, competition and support are great motivators.

I think that goes two ways, some people take up machines filming themselves doing feck all and chat their way through a virtual conversation which is a pain.
    BUT I do agree in the social thing being important, even for somebody living alone and may only have interaction with people and GYM friends a few days a week which makes a huge difference in their state of mind plus they keep the body loaded with endorphins which is ideal two. The pub is not for everyone when it comes to mixing with people, even a spin class can work wonders for people. Gyms are being massively overlooked in terms of benefits for the mind.
    I know I'm bloody missing it and looking forward to reacquainting myself with the bike and punch bag.

does anyone think the gyms will be back to normal though? and no more booking sessions at 5.30am!

I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rusty cole wrote: »
    does anyone think the gyms will be back to normal though? and no more booking sessions at 5.30am!

I don't see why not.

They'll still be using a booking system for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,143 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There are definitely personality types training at home is not going to suit. But obviously it's as easy to list the many advantages of it - access at any time, privacy etc - as there are the downsides. It's really going to come down to personal preference.

My shed gym is big enough for two. When things open up it's likely I would have pals over to train, really looking forward to that.

I don't have the space or the money to have a home gym - if I did, i probably would do it.

but the space and money needed for Bench, Squad, Deadlift (could be a somewhat combined space for them to be fair) just isn't there for me.

I've got two adjustable 40kg dumbbells, that are just about keeping me sane.

When the gyms open back up I'll be one of the first in the door to get back to bench press, squats, deadlifts. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,143 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't see why not.

until there is no restriction on the numbers that can be inside, the gyms will have to opperate a booking system, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I hate training at home not enough equipment too many distractions.

I'd be shocked if they weren't open by the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The one thing I love about training at home is the squat rack is always free!
    I do miss some of the plate loaded machines back workouts are fairly boring at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭vafankillar

gyms are among the least social activities I do tbh, a good 45-mins/hour of solitude & getting away from it all is what it does for me. which is why it's been hard for me since I work as an essential working & there's always someone home the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

There are definitely personality types training at home is not going to suit. But obviously it's as easy to list the many advantages of it - access at any time, privacy etc - as there are the downsides. It's really going to come down to personal preference.

My shed gym is big enough for two. When things open up it's likely I would have pals over to train, really looking forward to that.

Yeah home gym with a training partner is the sweet spot. All of the fun of training with someone, without having to deal with other people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

They'll still be using a booking system for a while.

Not any of the westwood clubs.They are large and people can rock up and train without pre -booking.

rondog wrote: »
    Not any of the westwood clubs.They are large and people can rock up and train without pre -booking.

I meant the ones using the booking system since after the first lockdown.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

My gymplus one did - worked well.

All eyes on the government announcement plan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

TBH I would love if they kept the booking forever! :D

For me, the gym is even just about a separate space, as well as teh atmosphere, even if training on your own. It's that separation like being in a library and studying or being in a cafe with the sunday papers and switching off. The space helps create the boundaries to switch off for me, but totally appreciate everyone is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

gyms are among the least social activities I do tbh, a good 45-mins/hour of solitude & getting away from it all is what it does for me. which is why it's been hard for me since I work as an essential working & there's always someone home the past year.

Same, nothing better then an empty gym

TBH I would love if they kept the booking forever! :D

For me, the gym is even just about a separate space, as well as teh atmosphere, even if training on your own. It's that separation like being in a library and studying or being in a cafe with the sunday papers and switching off. The space helps create the boundaries to switch off for me, but totally appreciate everyone is different!

Only problem with the booking, for me, is I used to love going in early on a day off - if I was between training blocks - and do all of the things and take 3 hours doing them.

But aside from that, it was always relatively quiet when I was in anyway (after 8.30pm)

Only problem with the booking, for me, is I used to love going in early on a day off - if I was between training blocks - and do all of the things and take 3 hours doing them.

But aside from that, it was always relatively quiet when I was in anyway (after 8.30pm)

3 hours jesus!!

my longest workout is legs and that's two at most.
    Includes bike warm up, dynamic stretching, band warm up glute activation and all that shtuff...what takes 3 hours please tell the court???

I agree, I have to drastically cut legs to rear and fore limb work, which is a pain but I'll take what I can get.

god that sun would put you in good form today!

3 hours jesus!!

my longest workout is legs and that's two at most.
    Includes bike warm up, dynamic stretching, band warm up glute activation and all that shtuff...what takes 3 hours please tell the court???

I agree, I have to drastically cut legs to rear and fore limb work, which is a pain but I'll take what I can get.

god that sun would put you in good form today!

I don't know if it was 3 hours but definitely a lot longer than normal but did more and did it at a more leisurely pace.

There were probably countless sets of resting for powerlifting-specific training.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I've seen very little dialogue on gyms, anyone got anything that I may of missed, reading hairdressers could be open within a couple of weeks and gyms were open similar times to them last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Tànaiste Leo Varadkar has said that the potential reopening of gyms in Ireland will be on the agenda during next week's Cabinet meeting.

Speaking on Instagram this afternoon, the Fine Gael leader said that "we'll be able to set out what can open in May and give some indication as to whether things will open in June or July."

At present, gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools are all closed due to Level 5 restrictions but Vardakar said that "if anyone's going to make the case to Cabinet for that (reopening of gyms), it's going to be me."

During an address on Instagram, the Tànaiste said: "Everyone's asking about gyms, I hear you. I miss the gym, big time. I'm sick to death of running around the park, I'm bored of it.

Yeah but if you listen to the whole thing he basically said they would be prioritizing hairdressers and religious services.

See https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN4yQq8npGf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Gym talk starts at 2.08 and then at 2.45 he says there are other priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

I've seen very little dialogue on gyms, anyone got anything that I may of missed, reading hairdressers could be open within a couple of weeks and gyms were open similar times to them last year...

There is little dialogue on gyms. The government are using coded words on gyms reopening as "gyms reopening" does not sit well with all. Coded words included "personal services" and "other services" and "phase 3 level services" and sometimes the less coded phrase "the fitness sector". I think the government know that gyms bring enormous benefits to peoples health and reopening, for individual exercise, makes sense but they don't want to shout about the reopening. I fully expect that gyms and pools will reopen at the same time as personal services like barbers but don't expect a song and dance about it, it will probably get buried in the detail when the announcement is made this week.

Separately, kudos to Leo for supporting gyms/pools.

Hopefully should have an end to the speculation by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hopefully should have an end to the speculation by the end of the week.

I was hopeful of a date at least but with Tony back expect no gyms for the summer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I was hopeful of a date at least but with Tony back expect no gyms for the summer at least.

No light at the end of the tunnel. I was saying July a few months ago and I was told I was being pessimistic and now I'm wondering if I was being daft saying that. Maybe we'll get a couple of months before the end of the year.

People properly distanced in gyms(those that are capable and have good ventilation like my gym) is still supposedly worse than people falling over each other and getting messy drunk in parks and other public spaces (see portobello) with no masks or social distancing.

Hopefully the likes of beer gardens can get opened up again soon so I can take my kids to the park without being surrounded by drunk people. Hoping for the gym to open is starting to feel like hoping you're picking the winning lotto numbers.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I do actually agree with opening the beer gardens in order to address open air drinking. There seem to be a few arguments in favour:-

1- People are meeting up to drink in the parks anyway, so is there really a difference in beer gardens?
    2- If it's in beer gardens then I guess there could be some contact tracing done (Lead person's name on a table taken?)
    3- Proper toilet facilities for everyone
    4- Proper rubbish collection and disposal
    5- Liquor licensing laws can be applied, premises provide security / address problems arising

If the weather holds then yeah, from a pragmatic point of view it seems like it would be the thing to do sooner rather than later.

If I was the gov then I'd be looking at outdoor dining and drinking in the near future and for the whole summer. I could see them allowing indoor dining and drinking back mid summer if we're generally in good shape.

Not sure what the prospect for gyms are now. If retail comes back before them, then do they just omit gym re-openings / indoor individual training? I guess early summer too maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greenmaan

Is there any underground gym activity going on?

Cannot stand it at this point, why would I need to get a haircut really when I need the gym to keep me healthy and sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

greenmaan wrote: »

Cannot stand it at this point, why would I need to get a haircut really when I need the gym to keep me healthy and sane.

I have been offered the use of a gym. But gave manager somewhere to live when he was between places so he owes me lol

Too far to go for a gym with 2 little kids

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

greenmaan wrote: »

Mate, theres already a huge number of people attending 'closed' gyms.

Gyms are essential to some people for a myriad of reasons.

Ive resisted to go training in a gym until we are 'allowed' to but ive lost patience with this government and their shambolic handling of this pandemic.

If they dont open up by Mid May ill be going back to underground working out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Wifey was up at Riverview today, they have opened their outdoor pool, she was a happy camper

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement