Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was hopeful of a date at least but with Tony back expect no gyms for the summer at least.

It was Nolan, last September who lumped gyms in with bars and restaurants:
    "We know that in Dublin at least one in three cases are community transmission. Where is this happening? Wherever we mix socially: our houses, gyms, bars, restaurants."
    It's not just Holohan making these recommendations.

And fundamentally, it's up to government to grow a pair and make proper recommendations taking everything into account. It suits them to defer to NPHET and make it look like they're a step removed from decision making, which is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,629 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Loads of the smaller gyms are open ,
    Was in an industrial state here in Dublin last week doing a job, It has 2 gyms and seen a steady stream of people going in and out all day ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greenmaan

Anything open in Ennis/Shannon/Limerick lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

The more i read the more i dont see Gyms opening until late Summer.MMartin in all his comments stresses how the theme is outdoor activities as indoor transmission is too great.Constant mention of outdoors this summer,i really cant see them allowing gyms open any time soon.
    The next focus is on outdoor sports,non essential retail and hairdressers and religious services ,i cant see any mention of Gyms so i wont be waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

greenmaan wrote: »
    Anything open in Ennis/Shannon/Limerick lads?

Several places.

• Advertisement

rondog wrote: »
    The more i read the more i dont see Gyms opening until late Summer.MMartin in all his comments stresses how the theme is outdoor activities as indoor transmission is too great.Constant mention of outdoors this summer,i really cant see them allowing gyms open any time soon.
    The next focus is on outdoor sports,non essential retail and hairdressers and religious services ,i cant see any mention of Gyms so i wont be waiting around.

Unless 80 year olds are going to the gym there's no need to have them closed. Most of the people demanding that gyms be open are relatively young and healthy, ya know the ones who will be grand if they catch it. But of course that's not being taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

silverharp wrote: »
    Wifey was up at Riverview today, they have opened their outdoor pool, she was a happy camper

Thanks. Anyone know any other swimming pools in Dublin that are open? Would really like to know. Cheers.

Unless 80 year olds are going to the gym there's no need to have them closed. Most of the people demanding that gyms be open are relatively young and healthy, ya know the ones who will be grand if they catch it. But of course that's not being taken into account.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that a lot of young gym goers think they're bulletproof and don't care about affecting other people, as long as they get their workout in. I saw first hand at the start of the pandemic people coming straight into the gym after holidaying in Italy without quarantining at all.

Funnily enough, some of my older PT clients have had their vaccines and are wanting to get back into the gym. I've told them I'm not going back until I've had mine done, though. I know a couple of people around my age who have caught Covid and seriously suffered with their cardio. Not worth it for me, for the sake of a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greenmaan

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that a lot of young gym goers think they're bulletproof and don't care about affecting other people, as long as they get their workout in. I saw first hand at the start of the pandemic people coming straight into the gym after holidaying in Italy without quarantining at all.

Funnily enough, some of my older PT clients have had their vaccines and are wanting to get back into the gym. I've told them I'm not going back until I've had mine done, though. I know a couple of people around my age who have caught Covid and seriously suffered with their cardio. Not worth it for me, for the sake of a couple of months.

You wouldn't believe there are still people that would like to see everyone sitting at home for the next year even when all are vaccinated because new waves and new variants.

greenmaan wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe there are still people that would like to see everyone sitting at home for the next year even when all are vaccinated because new waves and new variants.

I'm sure there are. They'd be pretty rare, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

When personal services are open, retail open there will be no logical reason to keep gyms closed. There is talk personal services will be back in May. Gyms were always in line with personal services. If they are back May then I cant see any reason gyms wont be back then or if not back for June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,132 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most of the people demanding that gyms be open are relatively young and healthy, ya know the ones who will be grand if they catch it. But of course that's not being taken into account.

They might be fine if they catch it. But they'll still have covid when they leave the gym. And they'll spread it to people outside the gym - some of which aren't young and healthly and won't be grand. But of course you're not taking that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Mellor wrote: »
    They might be fine if they catch it. But they'll still have covid when they leave the gym. And they'll spread it to people outside the gym - some of which aren't young and healthly and won't be grand. But of course you're not taking that into account.

the only people at risk are people who are very old and sick people.
    those groupings in society are at risk from every illness going.
    If we have that mindset we would never open things again or live a life of restrictions forever.

paw patrol wrote: »
    the only people at risk are people who are very old and people sick.
    If we have that mindset we would never open things again or live a life of restrictions forever.

I fully believe we will be under heavy restrictions for a long long time, years. It's not conspiracy stuff, I work in a hospital and they're absolutely rammed every day, we're talking record numbers every day since about March. It's everything but covid now. NPHET are so overbearing I just know they'll use this an excuse to keep this charade going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

So what are the vaccines for then?

Earlier on the radio today: lowest numbers of covid patients in hospitals in 200+ days but hey, situation is still very serious, i.e. "next two weeks are crucial" and "hold tight" BS :mad:
    Nobody I know takes covid as serious threat anymore, there's visiting, parties non-stop in our estate, which is fine.

the only people at risk are people who are very old and people sick.
    we should be doing what we can to limit the spread for the sake of those people. Be they old, sick, immunocompromised.

Sure, we could only care about ourselves. But that a pretty crap attitude imo.
    Not really. If people took it more seriously sooner. We’d be in a much better place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

we should be doing what we can to limit the spread for the sake of those people. Be they old, sick, immunocompromised.

It's not really a crap attitude.
    We as a society are sacrificing everything for over 13 months now for a 2 groups - the old and the sick and there seems little end in sight.

how long should this go on before I can (without being told it's a crap attitude ) question this?
    when does my life matter? When does that of my kids matter?
    Or are we perpetually at the bottom of the queue in terms of our needs?
    Does wider society ever matter?

There is nothing really spectacular with covid bar it is a new illness that isn't that dangerous , the old and sick can die from any list of illnesses. This is how it's always been since the dawn of time.

It's not pleasant but it's just a fact of life and some day i'll be in the older sector of society and I'll be at risk too and i'll die too some day. maybe from an illness. That's just how it is.

Anecdotally I find the over 70s that I know are much more gung ho and feel the state isn't acting in their name. Some feel a sense of guilt at the restrictions they didn't ask for this sacrifice.

but as a great man once said , we are where we are . NPHET aren't for turning that is pretty clear.:mad:

j@utis wrote: »
    So what are the vaccines for then?

You don’t understand what vaccines are for?
    Earlier on the radio today: lowest numbers of covid patients in hospitals in 200+ days but hey, situation is still very serious, i.e. "next two weeks are crucial" and "hold tight" BS :mad:
    The peak of active case, daily cases and deaths was around Jan/Feb ‘21.

The numbers are better now. But their are still 10-15k cases a month. And probably a few hundred deaths.
    Nobody I know takes covid as serious threat anymore, there's visiting, parties non-stop in our estate, which is fine.
    Or maybe there’s a connection between people not taking it seriously, the constant community transmission that has created the need to restricted services and the like.

Not really. If people took it more seriously sooner. We’d be in a much better place now.

I know of many that have caught COVID including myself and ive had worse colds.ANyone i know that caught got a mild dose.Of course people will get sick with it but they should be cocooning/SHielding whatever term they use.

My Cousin works in a addiction counselling service and i also have a friend that works frontline and they said its actually scary the amount of severe addiction and health issues we have coming our way when we stop focusing solely on COVID.

There is a massive amount of people that have slipped into depression, back in to addiction due to gyms having been closed.

We have tens/.hundreds of thousands of people that have suffered far more with the closure of Gyms the halting of sport etc than is the case with COVID.

Yes,there is long COVID but there is also long suffering from addition,some wont come out of depression and a psychologist said recently that the effects of these lockdowns will have disastrous affects on the population in years to come.

WE have been so fixated on the COVID number every day and have ignored all other diseases like diabetes treatment,heart disease diagnosis, cancer etc etc that there will be a massive wave of other illnesses coming our way when we come out the other side of COVID.
    It seems we are like conditioned little dogs now that if NEPHET praise us we wag our tails adn bow down to them whiel they have single handedly annihilated our economy and lives for the past year.NEPHET are purely medical and dont take anything else into consideration which is shocking considering other countries have people on their deceision making boards from a commercial,business back ground .

It's not really a crap attitude.
    We as a society are sacrificing everything for over 13 months now for a 2 groups - the old and the sick and there seems little end in sight.
    We have our opinions.
    Your entitled to want to be selfish. And I’m entitled to think it’s a crap attitude.

People given up some thing. Everything? Not even close. You’re currently at home, on the internet. Presumably we all have endless access to entertainment online.

It is is far from the worst people have had it as a society.
    how long should this go on before I can (without being told it's a crap attitude ) question this?
    when does my life matter? When does that of my kids matter?
    Or are we perpetually at the bottom of the queue in terms of our needs?
    Does wider society ever matter?

Is your life or your kids lives at risk? Why do they don’t matter?

Of course society matters. That’s the whole point of looking after wider society and not just everyone looking after themselves. Some irony there.
    There is nothing really spectacular with covid bar it is a new illness that isn't that dangerous ,
    Not that dangerous? Ok.
    If it was killing 20% of kids. I doubt you consider it not that dangerous and they’ll just have to suck it up so the adults can have a normal life.

I get that it’s annoying. I get that the government has made some crap decisions.
    But people making selfish decisions are a major contribution to the fact Ireland is in a mess.
    It’s fairly obvious that countries that went strict immediately are in much better places now. And countries that went lax, are a mess.

• Advertisement

I know of many that have caught COVID including myself and ive had worse colds.ANyone i know that caught got a mild dose.Of course people will get sick with it but they should be cocooning/SHielding whatever term they use.
    Fairly small sample there mate. Not sure of the relevance. Just like knowing somebody that’s died or got a bad dose doesn’t mean everyone’s gonna die.
    There is a massive amount of people that have slipped into depression, back in to addiction due to gyms having been closed.
    That’s unfortunate, genuinely don’t like to see people suffer.
    Sounds like the gym was a band-aid and problem wasn’t addressed. Not judging in the slightest, it’s surprisingly common. I see it quite a lot where people replace a negative problem with a positive one. Unfortunately, it looks very much like a solution.
    We have tens/.hundreds of thousands of people that have suffered far more with the closure of Gyms the halting of sport etc than is the case with COVID.
    Hundreds of Thousands? Where did that number come from. Or do you mean figuratively.
    Who are these people and why are they suffering? A gym is a convenient place to work out. It’s not the only way. There are dozens of ways to workout without the gym.

If anyone is struggling with not having access to the gym. Please, ask somebody for help. Ask whoever you trained with, start a thread here, ask in a random thread.
    If you don’t want to start a thread, send me a PM. Or any of the other regular posters here. Will be only glad to help.

Fairly small sample there mate. Not sure of the relevance. Just like knowing somebody that’s died or got a bad dose doesn’t mean everyone’s gonna die.

Well if you look up the official survival rates for the main attendees of gyms its 99+%.That includes the whole population with the disease,far smaller rate than a stroke victim,someone with undiagnosed heart disease and the hundreds of other diseases that have been ignored due to the focus on COVID.

That’s unfortunate, genuinely don’t like to see people suffer.
    Sounds like the gym was a band-aid and problem wasn’t addressed. Not judging in the slightest, it’s surprisingly common. I see it quite a lot where people replace a negative problem with a positive one. Unfortunately, it looks very much like a solution.

Well counselling is just a Band Aid or any other form of therapy as the addictions will always remain if thats the strange way of looking at it.Id much rather be attending the Gym as an addiction than taking heroin.

Hundreds of Thousands? Where did that number come from. Or do you mean figuratively.
    Who are these people and why are they suffering? A gym is a convenient place to work out. It’s not the only way. There are dozens of ways to workout without the gym.
    There are but you are being very simple.The vast majority of people dont have the knowledge to set up different exercise routines and depend on the convenience of the gym and/or PT to show them what they need to do.

If anyone is struggling with not having access to the gym. Please, ask somebody for help. Ask whoever you trained with, start a thread here, ask in a random thread.
    If you don’t want to start a thread, send me a PM. Or any of the other regular posters here. Will be only glad to help.

Answer in the text above.

AS i was saying its a counsellor i know not the people.I have no idea who the individuals are ,same with the many children and adults who will suffer the obesity epidemic that is forecasted when we come out of this pandemic.Look at the many other countries that kept gyms open,that didnt have such a long severe lockdown and actually kept people emplyed and businesses going which keeps the unemplyment level down and prevents us paying off the massive debt that this country is needlessly accumulating and will be paying off for years to come.
    Accompanied with the misery that almost 500k people are unemployed and many business will never open again.

NEPHET are purely medical and dont take anything else into consideration which is shocking considering other countries have people on their deceision making boards from a commercial,business back ground .

NPHET's role isn't to take everything into consideration.

That's the government's role. NPHET are merely advisors.

If NPHET have too much of a say, that is a government problem, i.e. it is weak and incapable.

NPHET's role isn't to take everything into consideration.

That's the government's role. NPHET are merely advisors.

If NPHET have too much of a say, that is a government problem, i.e. it is weak and incapable.

Thats basically what Ive said.

NEPHET advise on medical issues and public health.We need to have advisors from all sectors of society giving the Govt a balanced view so they take decisions based on the entire story ,We have a spinless government that took slack after the Xmas opening debacles and have deferred to NEPHET for all decision making.
    There are no leaders in the Dail at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm staying up north for a few days and the gym in my hotel is open, so I brought my gear for a few workouts. Will be weird surrounded by actual equipment again!

Thats basically what Ive said.

NEPHET advise on medical issues and public health.We need to have advisors from all sectors of society giving the Govt a balanced view so they take decisions based on the entire story ,We have a spinless government that took slack after the Xmas opening debacles and have deferred to NEPHET for all decision making.
    There are no leaders in the Dail at the moment.

You said it was shocking that NPHET doesn't include people from other sectors, so it read like you expect them to.

Agreed on no leaders in the Dail and they're only too happy to sit behind NPHET and let them answer questions that should be put to and answered by the govt and not NPHET.

The government has a whole swathe of different departments that should be feeding into decision making because there are plenty of advisors in the government departments as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

IBEC's suggestion is to have all aspects of retail, personal services and all construction open on May 4th as well as outdoor hospitality in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Should we start getting our hopes up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

nullzero wrote: »
    Should we start getting our hopes up?

I wouldn't advise it but I personally can't help myself.

Advertisement