Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JTMan wrote: »
    Gavan Reilly has confirmed that personal services will reopen in Early May.

"Personal services" seems to include gyms. Gyms opened at the same time as hairdressers in December.

i.e. Level 3 in Early May.

Anyone any idea of the date? I wonder if it will be after the May bank holiday?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382673304918622215

to be clear - he does not confirm that.

He says that is the expectation.

We don't know if that expectation will be carried through in early may or pushed out further due to 'an abundance of caution'.

I also wouldn't be surprised if gyms are no longer considered personal services and are pushed back towards Cinema/Hospitality type considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

to be clear - he does not confirm that.

He says that is the expectation.

We don't know if that expectation will be carried through in early may or pushed out further due to 'an abundance of caution'.

I also wouldn't be surprised if gyms are no longer considered personal services and are pushed back towards Cinema/Hospitality type considerations.

If they are pushed back with Cinema/Hospitality then we woudl be looking at later in the summer which i think is ridiculous considering the physical and mental benefits.A report came out the other day stating people that were less physically active suffered worse effects from COVID.

We can debate where you get your activity but recent reports showing increases in obesity since gyms closed may have a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rondog wrote: »
    If they are pushed back with Cinema/Hospitality then we woudl be looking at later in the summer which i think is ridiculous considering the physical and mental benefits.A report came out the other day stating people that were less physically active suffered worse effects from COVID.

We can debate where you get your activity but recent reports showing increases in obesity since gyms closed may have a link.

I've seen an increase in weight over the course of the pandemic (American research) but not linked to access to gyms, per se. But there has also been a study saying a significant number of Americans wouldn't be going back to the gym as they had found alternatives that were cheaper/more convenient.

While I can't wait for them to reopen, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if their reopening was aligned with cinema/hospitality on the basis of number of people congregating in a space that you don't have with personal services. Philip Nolan referred to gyms in the same breath as bars and restaurants last September so again, I wouldn't be surprised.

They are being hugely risk averse and in the next 2 months they just see a risk of negatives of increased transmission rather than physical/mental benefits from gyms.

That said, I'm still trying to be hopeful gyms reopen in May. I just think it might be 50/50 that it's May or June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

I think we need to see gyms reopening as been 2 dates.

It seems like it will be Early May for individual exercise.

I would guess July for group activities, classes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I cant see anything indoor happening in early may. I would be really surprised.

My guess, gyms being allowed open if they can offer some outdoor space to workout/group sessions in mid may with indoor individual by June 1st and hopefully a back to normal return july including all classes.

I am juts hopeful my gym opens back at all. Its not the biggest gym and they seem to be busier for their classes than anything else. I know last time round they had very few people return.

My friend works in GYM plus and she said they had hundreds of people cancel their memberships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I still find it hard to believe they'll go from not allowing outside training in groups to the gyms in the same easing. There's another week before the children that are in school together are allowed train together in an evening.

Just on memberships, I think all club memberships are down at the moment, including outdoor based ones. No need/ point of joining if you can't train in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I think we need to see gyms reopening as been 2 dates.

It seems like it will be Early May for individual exercise.

I would guess July for group activities, classes etc.

I would be shocked if it was as late as July, there would be uproar.

Patsy167 wrote: »

I hope you are right. I am only predicting July for classes. I fully expect May for individual exercise/swims in gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

All roads seem to be pointing towards May but I agree that it is unlikely to be early May.

Leo has said there will be weekly easing in May.

My bet is third week in May.

• Advertisement

30 April for gyms in Northern Ireland. 1 week after hairdressers up there.

Very tempted to head up north!!

https://twitter.com/DarrenGBNews/status/1382725776529891331

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Patsy167 wrote: »

By who though?

In terms of lobbyists I would have thought the retail and hospitality sector were louder than gyms etc and look at how those sectors have ben treated.

Re gym membership, I've forgotten how much time i'm owed on mine from pausing it the reopening the closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

4th May I think is the first week with restrictions eased, whether that sees gyms open or not, I'd be hopeful but doubtful.

That being said, we've a positivity rate of 2.8%, one of the lowest incidence rates in Europe along with one of the longest and most stringent lockdowns.

At the risk of going off topic, the main reason we've had such a long and harsh lockdown is due to the pathetic lack of capacity in the HSE. I'm tired of missing out on the gym while my tax money goes towards funding an appallingly run health service that can't even function as its supposed to (not talking about front line health care workers here, who are terrific). Open the gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Woah mind-blowing.

Part of my job is moving bodies to the morgue... All very unhealthy people in one way or another, a lot of extremely overweight people. (Covid deaths)

Mail on Sunday Ireland says that personal services will reopen 17 May (3rd week in May).

- Click and collect and construction at the start of May,
    - Then "rest of retail" on 10 May / "second week".
    - Then non-essential retail and personal services reopen on 17 May/ "third week".

Hence, looks like around 17 May for gyms, unless it is with "rest of retail" which would be around 10 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mail on Sunday Ireland says that personal services will reopen 21 May (3rd week in May).

- Click and collect and construction at the start of May,
    - Then "rest of retail" on 14 May / "second week".
    - Then non-essential retail and personal services reopen on 21 May/ "third week".

Hence, looks like around 21 May for gyms, unless it is with "rest of retail" which would be around 14 May.

Both of those days are Fridays.
    But 14th and 21st June are both Mondays.

Both of those days are Fridays.
    But 14th and 21st June are both Mondays.

Sorry, you are right, I should have said 17 May rather than 21 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sorry, you are right, I should have said 17 May rather than 21 May.

I'll take that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good to encourage exercise but there are still far too many incomplete studies of the SARS-COV-2 pathogenesis. Too much exercise can weaken your immune system, even if it is only temporary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good to encourage exercise but there are still far too many incomplete studies of the SARS-COV-2 pathogenesis. Too much exercise can weaken your immune system, even if it is only temporary!

Ah c'mon now..serious nitpicking here. The big picture is that fitter people have significantly reduced risk of serious health issues and death.

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »
    Ah c'mon now..serious nitpicking here. The big picture is that fitter people have significantly reduced risk of serious health issues and death.
    And yet true! Exercise is good but I have more of an issue with the conveyor belt of studies claiming they have answers when we are still a long way off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

is_that_so wrote: »
    And yet true! Exercise is good but I have more of an issue with the conveyor belt of studies claiming they have answers when we are still a long way off them.

It’s true in the sense that in a small window after exercise, immunity is reduced. Or if you are overtrained, which doesn’t apply to just about anyone but serious athletes.

That’s like saying that strength training makes you weaker because immediately after a session your muscles are fatigued and can’t lift as much.

To assume exercise adaptations would be protective for essentially all other major diseases but not Covid just because it hasn’t been illustrated with a study, well, it’s just not likely to be the case. Death rates have been 10x higher in the most obese nations.

On a semi related note, interview with the CEO of Westwood from todays business Post.

Behind a paywall so here's a photo of the paper, you'll need to magnify on your device to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

On a semi related note, interview with the CEO of Westwood from todays business Post.

Behind a paywall so here's a photo of the paper, you'll need to magnify on your device to read.

you tease :pac: , 3 or 4 summary points?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Cill94 wrote: »
    It’s true in the sense that in a small window after exercise, immunity is reduced. Or if you are overtrained, which doesn’t apply to just about anyone but serious athletes.

That’s like saying that strength training makes you weaker because immediately after a session your muscles are fatigued and can’t lift as much.

To assume exercise adaptations would be protective for essentially all other major diseases but not Covid just because it hasn’t been illustrated with a study, well, it’s just not likely to be the case. Death rates have been 10x higher in the most obese nations.
    You have missed the point here twice, although at least we agree on the risk. My point is to do with the declarative nature of the study. It offers no insight on why COVID does what it does and is as useful as saying standing in the sun for 2 hours a day will protect you from COVID. It's one of thousands of such puff papers that do not advance our knowledge in any way but is is media friendly and encouraging people to exercise more is a good thing.

I am fully vaccinated.

I am going to get the train up to Belfast and go for a swim on 30 April.

Can anyone recommend a public pool in Belfast?

Thanks.

Szero wrote: »
    I am fully vaccinated.

I am going to get the train up to Belfast and go for a swim on 30 April.

Can anyone recommend a public pool in Belfast?

Thanks.

Why not swim in the sea down here instead (for free) if it's just the one swim. €50 or whatever it is for the train seems a lot for one swim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just read that article with Alan Leach (Westwood).

Two things jumped out at me-

1. They are building covered outdoor training areas that sound like they will be fully fitted out. This makes complete sense, I spoke about a place in Clontarf that is an outdoor covered PT set-up. Can see the utility of this for the next few years.

2. He's obviously more worried than he lets on about digital / streaming training and how it might eat into his market share. I think he's wrong though, in thinking that it's just about this new technology. It's home training and shed gyms in general that he should be concerned about. At the beginning of 2020 I was an outlier in spending quite a bit on kitting out a shed gym. At this stage, I have lost count of the people I know who have spent money on home training set-ups that are going to be semi permanent. And I still know guys who are about to take the plunge. We are going to end up with more of a US style shed gym (garage gym, as they call it) culture. Of course it will only be a tiny share of the fitness market, probably less than 5%. But if you look at craft beer and independent whisky, what you see is that the big boys still hate to see it, because that little share can be grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Training at home just doesn't compare for me. The social aspect of the gym is the part I miss most. I know lots of people just see the gym as a place to train but I much prefer social gyms where there are people who have the same passion for training as I do. Training with friends is a whole lot more fun. It's also much harder to push yourself when training alone I think. Atmosphere, competition and support are great motivators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There are definitely personality types training at home is not going to suit. But obviously it's as easy to list the many advantages of it - access at any time, privacy etc - as there are the downsides. It's really going to come down to personal preference.

My shed gym is big enough for two. When things open up it's likely I would have pals over to train, really looking forward to that.

Advertisement