Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

showpony1 wrote: »
    In May its only "Staggered" opening of Barbers/Hairdressers and Retail (with click & collect first).
    Therefore i'd say more likely June for any gymnasiums.

Gyms fall under "personal services" so they will be included. An article on it yesterday mentioned gyms would potentially be opened towards the end of May.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone have thoughts on when saunas and Jacuzzis might reopen, presumably not until we're all vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anyone have thoughts on when saunas and Jacuzzis might reopen, presumably not until we're all vaccinated?

There's nothing more dangerous about saunas or steam rooms, the issue was space. Very expensive to run either and only 1 or maybe 2 people to be able to use it and SD. Some places kept their open while other places used it as a cost-saving excuse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

There's nothing more dangerous about saunas or steam rooms, the issue was space. Very expensive to run either and only 1 or maybe 2 people to be able to use it and SD. Some places kept their open while other places used it as a cost-saving excuse.

True...once we have mass vaccination I assume they'll reopen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When we have genuinely vaccinated 80% of the population, including second doses, I daresay lots of indoor activities will be back on the cards as normal, yes, including things like saunas.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a requirement for a vaccine cert to be produced for some activities, but I wouldn't think gym and sauna access would be one of them, or at least not in most venues.

Can I just also say that your username is deeply unfortunate when I have to reply to you. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sauna/steam/jacuzzi were open in Westwood Sandymount/Clontarf at Xmas and last summer anyway, so I presume they'll be open again whenever gyms open. People wont pay their memberships if they're not open, a lot of older people especially only go there to use these things. No one paid any attention to the limits that were supposed to be on the facilities either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

True...once we have mass vaccination I assume they'll reopen?

Will there be a cardio vaccination as well?

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If gyms are being included with personal services, then will be reviewed for reopening in May.

Not sure this is anything new, mind...

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1381510046908043264?s=20

I don't think they will be though so I think it will be June before gyms reopen. At best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I think it will be a minimum of 2 weeks after the return of outdoor sports before anything else stands a chance of opening. I also cant see personal services open in May. The majority of the client base wont be vaccinated, neither will the staff. I would think the same could apply to gyms. When you look at the demographic using these facilities many of them are under the age of 50, those working in the facilities younger again.

There has been some push back from hair dressers too over the weekend stating its not viable to open their business for a small % of customers, this was in relation to the covid vaccination benefits and also unrealistic to expect staff to query peoples medical information.

jrosen wrote: »
    I think it will be a minimum of 2 weeks after the return of outdoor sports before anything else stands a chance of opening. I also cant see personal services open in May. The majority of the client base wont be vaccinated, neither will the staff. I would think the same could apply to gyms. When you look at the demographic using these facilities many of them are under the age of 50, those working in the facilities younger again.

There has been some push back from hair dressers too over the weekend stating its not viable to open their business for a small % of customers, this was in relation to the covid vaccination benefits and also unrealistic to expect staff to query peoples medical information.

I think the government will come under pressure to open if numbers continue to drop, particularly in relation to hospitals, ICU and deaths if the vaccination rollout stalls on the basis of further restrictions on the use of the AZ vaccine.

They had already said that the target of 250k doses per week won't now happen until June, so the target of 80% of the adult population getting the first dose (or only if its Jannsen) is going to fall by the wayside.

Tl;dr I don't think they will be in a position to allow reopening of some elements based primarily on the vaccination status of the country if the vaccination rollout stutters further but the other important metrics are in a decent place.

That said, I think you're saying June at least as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tl;dr I don't think they will be in a position to allow reopening of some elements based primarily on the vaccination status of the country if the vaccination rollout stutters further but the other important metrics are in a decent place.
    I think if numbers start holding at around current rates with the lifting, particularly hospital numbers, there'll be massive pressure to continue opening up. I'm more interested in outside training myself, so probably a bit more optimistic.

Hairdressers/ Barbers/ Personal Services have a different argument though, given the black market (both in relation to Covid but also the money side).

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

All I can say is the sooner the better, the government seem to be clutching on straws to continue the lockdown and the "variant" comment is getting tedious.

My gym is 500mtrs away and I'm tired to see it locked up while the last bit of muscle I have wastes away due to the combination of resistance bands, bodyweight exercise and HIIT sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I think exercise should of been prioritized more, fitness helps build the immune system. I don't hear enough talk of we have to get people back training for health reasons.
    I can see the gym from the pool I train in and it looked very good in terms of people wiping down equipment etc , the gym did a really good job. We need to be honest as well with people and not sugar coat it , obesity is a major risk factor for covid and also brutal for your health , not to mention mental health having gym closed for so long is not good, it was necessary at some point but it lacks urgency to get them back open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Really missing it now to be fair, had made great progress and built fair strength last year and finally overhauled the diet at the end of last year start of this year. Finally got back up to swimming a mile/day consecutively for a few days below 50 minutes non stop and then the pools shut. All ive gotten excercise wise since January were walks at tbe weekend if i was lucky which ive only really gotten a good distance in the last few weekends as well as a few home workouts in January but the buzz soon wore off on them. It feels as if everything i did last year to improve myself ive just ended up hitting a wall with everything i did due to the lockdown.
    Im only in my twenties but ive noticed a lot of lads in work in there forties and fifties after ballooning in the last year also its not that they were going hell for leather in the gym but moreso the little bit they did do in the pool after work was doing them some good compared to nothing at sll now.
    Gonns be a long time fixing the problems closing the gyms caused now i reckon.

Better living everyone

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I think exercise should of been prioritized more, fitness helps build the immune system. I don't hear enough talk of we have to get people back training for health reasons.
    I can see the gym from the pool I train in and it looked very good in terms of people wiping down equipment etc , the gym did a really good job. We need to be honest as well with people and not sugar coat it , obesity is a major risk factor for covid and also brutal for your health , not to mention mental health having gym closed for so long is not good, it was necessary at some point but it lacks urgency to get them back open.

Tackling obesity has been a problem for a long time. If you're unhealthy and you escape covid, you probably won't change your ways.

I don't think the gyms being closed are necessarily going to add to it hugely. I'd love to think there would be a spike in interest in getting healthier but I just can't see it happening.

If there was, it wouldn't necessarily be gyms that are the infrastructure that is needed.

But I would love it if health was prioritised more by people and people with the wherewithal to help

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think the gyms being closed are necessarily going to add to it hugely. I'd love to think there would be a spike in interest in getting healthier but I just can't see it happening.

If there was, it wouldn't necessarily be gyms that are the infrastructure that is needed.

But I would love it if health was prioritised more by people and people with the wherewithal to help

This is off-topic to the discussion of gyms reopening, but that won't happen until there is a much, much more brutal honesty about the negative impact of carrying too much weight/or even being skinny-fat. A much, much more empowering message sent out about how very much about your own body actually is in your own control. A complete overhaul of the dietary advice that so many countries give on a state level, such as the food pyramid. For that advice to somehow not be influenced by food manufacturing lobbies. For attention to be paid to the differences in needs of the sexes, rather than an assumption that women are smaller men. And advice to be adapted based on ethnic background, ie, depending on if a person has a background that has lactase tolerance or not, rather than blanket statements about a food group that may not apply to each population.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 surveybeacon

I hope it will open soon/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,629 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its going to be some crack on the first chest session when you go to pick up that weight you used to warm up with .

Really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things its just in time too because personally I hate doing cardio in the summer to many people can see the struggle , Much prefer doing my runs on dark nights or mornings when you feel like its you and the pain out there,

Its going to be some crack on the first chest session when you go to pick up that weight you used to warm up with

Squats for me.

Bench should be ok-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon the Doms will last a fortnight after the 1st session back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

billyhead wrote: »
    I reckon the Doms will last a fortnight after the 1st session back.

Plenty people will be googling this after the first week back....

Q: Can I still attend a physio appointment under level 3, level 4, and even level 5 restrictions or lockdown?

A: Yes, Physiotherapy clinic is open and will remain open under all levels of Covid restrictions, as an essential health service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

The key will be easing yourself back into a routine and building the strength back up. You can guarantee that some members will injure to themselves by lifting to heavy at the start not realising the loss of strength since lockdown began. There will be lots of people walking around like John Wayne in his Western movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Tackling obesity has been a problem for a long time. If you're unhealthy and you escape covid, you probably won't change your ways.

I dunno I know a good few people who have got more active the last year, as much to kill time as anything. You'd hope people would maintain good habits when things open up a bit again. I suppose it may be a mixed bag like a lot of things though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Asked my gyms manager about them, they don't have a lot of ventilation and with the temperature are a hotbed for bacterial growth. Impossible to have staff go in and wipe down between each use as their clothes would be covered in sweat afterwards and the advice from the governing body was to shut them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Asked my gyms manager about them, they don't have a lot of ventilation and with the temperature are a hotbed for bacterial growth. Impossible to have staff go in and wipe down between each use as their clothes would be covered in sweat afterwards and the advice from the governing body was to shut them.

Ireland Active gave that advice to all gyms back in March 2020 and it hasn't been updated since. It was probably the right advice at the time, but more is known and heat is not a contributory factor. Come's down to SD which is one reason why West Wood kept their open as its massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Leo saying on RTE saying the Govt will consider returning to for Level 3 restrictions in May.

PLeeeeease let Gyms open in early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

rondog wrote: »
    Leo saying on RTE saying the Govt will consider returning to for Level 3 restrictions in May.

PLeeeeease let Gyms open in early May.
    I think he specifically said it won't be early May, I thought? It'll be adult training, outside, first for at least two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Yeh was reading the early May thing, never know they may just go for it... but if not I would 100% expect an opein gym in May sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Gavan Reilly has confirmed that personal services will reopen in Early May.

"Personal services" seems to include gyms. Gyms opened at the same time as hairdressers in December.

i.e. Level 3 in Early May.

Anyone any idea of the date? I wonder if it will be after the May bank holiday?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382673304918622215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

JTMan wrote: »
    Gavan Reilly has confirmed that personal services will reopen in Early May.

"Personal services" seems to include gyms. Gyms opened at the same time as hairdressers in December.

i.e. Level 3 in Early May.

Anyone any idea of the date? I wonder if it will be after the May bank holiday?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1382673304918622215

It will definitely be after the back holiday if this govt is anything to go by

Advertisement