Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

JTMan wrote: »
    While I hope that Extra.ie are right ... Extra.ie is the Daily Mail who have got a few things wrong with reopening plans previously.

yes I think it will be booking and single training with full return of classes in June.
    That's how it reads to me which is perfect, two weeks to gym sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

rusty cole wrote: »
    according to this leak, gyms are open in may. so many useless, baseless leaks now it's annoying.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/two-key-dates-for-irelands-lockdown-exit-as-all-details-leaked/ar-BB1gaJnW?li=BBr5HCU
    JTMan wrote: »
    While I hope that Extra.ie are right ... Extra.ie is the Daily Mail who have got a few things wrong with reopening plans previously.

It's the only media source reporting this. All others saying June so I seriously doubt it but stranger things have happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

rusty cole wrote: »
    yes I think it will be booking and single training with full return of classes in June.

Maybe that explains why other media outlets are saying June. They are forgetting the fact that there are 2 phases of gym reopening.

Really hope the Daily Mail/Extra.ie are right but I would not be betting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I really hope they open in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,285 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was hoping May, but I can't see it being before June th based on the info we are seeing.

If they meant 7th for classes with bookings bfore, it would have been said as Gym Classes/Pool not Gym/Pools.

Disappointing - another 5 weeks or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭billyhead

It should be individual training in May and group classes in June.

I agree, there is no reason why individual training cant come back in May and then group in June. I cant wait for my spin classes to come back. My poor bum after class one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

billyhead wrote: »
    It should be individual training in May and group classes in June.

Would agree with this for sure but given the silence from govt on this I think we can probably take it for granted that it's 7th June for individual training in gyms. Disappointing as I'd stupidly gotten my hopes up for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would agree with this for sure but given the silence from govt on this I think we can probably take it for granted that it's 7th June for individual training in gyms. Disappointing as I'd stupidly gotten my hopes up for May.

Yeh. It's a pity. The gym I was in was bookings for hourly slots only. It was very regimented but safe with plenty of sanitizers etc and nobody acting the b***ox.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Mellor wrote: »
    What were you doing before gyms closed. ie typical routine.
    What is you goal now, or when gyms open?
    What equipment do you have?

5 or 6 times a week on weights, separated the muscle groups and rotated heavy and light intensity.

I have bands and a mat that I use for the HIIT sessions.

Goal now is maintain some semblance of fitness so that once back in the gym I am at least cardio fit to get back on the weights and gain some muscle back

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    I agree, there is no reason why individual training cant come back in May and then group in June. I cant wait for my spin classes to come back. My poor bum after class one.

I'd be surprised if you're going to be ramming a dozen or more people in an enclosed space to sweat it out for an hour or so anytime soon, unless they bring in mandatory covid testing for those that aren't vaccinated beforehand.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if you're going to be ramming a dozen or more people in an enclosed space to sweat it out for an hour or so anytime soon, unless they bring in mandatory covid testing for those that aren't vaccinated beforehand.

Maybe not a full capacity class but last time round they did run smaller classes. One can hope.

So they open the gyms the same week as they are opening the outside drinking in bars. I'm looking forward to the gym more than the bar but may well be doing both

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There'll be no one in the gym on the 8th of June...everyone will be dying of DOMS

That happened in my gym in the November/December reopening. Day one of reopening was mobbed. Every day afterwards was fine.

I might learn the lesson and treat June 8th as the first day back.

Annoying that they couldnt have done it on the 10th May with hairdressers. They went from gyms being more important than hairdressers, to equally important, to less important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting thread on why 7 June was chosen and what will be allowed on this date ...

https://twitter.com/swimireland/status/1387790222650482690

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

7th June per the Taoiseach's speech just now.

Another 5 weeks running round the local park and lifting dumbells in my bedroom.

At least we know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Well, thats a bit of a gut punch. Was hoping to be in the gym the same day as other 'personal services'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

DISCRIMINATIONNNN..50 can go to a church but I cant go to my church!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

sp00k wrote: »
    Well, thats a bit of a gut punch. Was hoping to be in the gym the same day as other 'personal services'.

Agreed, we're still a long way off that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

sp00k wrote: »

Agreed, we're still a long way off that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Eoinbmw wrote: »

Coincidentally the limit is 50 people in our gym too but the floor area is about 5 times larger than that of local church. But hey old folks now have been vaccinated although they still can carry, transmit and get sick with covid19. So, I don't know what's going on here really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

j@utis wrote: »
    But hey old folks now have been vaccinated although they still can carry, transmit and get sick with covid19. So, I don't know what's going on here really.

Not sure what you mean but getting sick from it is what the vaccination prevents. It is to prevent the disease not infection with Sars-Cov2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Eoinbmw wrote: »

Am I the only one that instantly thinks of the old Broscience videos by Dom Mazzetti when they see the gym being referred to as church?!

Time to go down a YouTube rabbit hole and rewatch some of the best ones. First up will be the crossfit one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What I really want to see is a return to indoor sports / exercise classes. By the old roadmap, that would have been Level 2... I would even take the 'pods' approach, where you could have 6 in a pod training together.

That's obviously not mentioned for June, and it's speculative to wonder when it might come in.

Best I can figure is that it's a race between vaccination numbers and the coming of winter. If we keep vaccinating well, and if they were to have offered a first dose to enough people, maybe we get it back in early winter?

We seem to be conditioned to expect a bit of a problem situation in the winter time, but if the vaccination program has proceeded to a fairly advanced situation at that stage, surely the HSE capacity should be a normal shambles rather than 2019-2020 special edition Covid shambles...

7th June per the Taoiseach's speech just now.

Another 5 weeks running round the local park and lifting dumbells in my bedroom.

At least we know now.

The way I've been trying to look at it is that my least favorite day of the home workout training week is Monday; there are just 5 more of these to get ticked off and then we're back in business

What I really want to see is a return to indoor sports / exercise classes. By the old roadmap, that would have been Level 2... I would even take the 'pods' approach, where you could have 6 in a pod training together.

That's obviously not mentioned for June, and it's speculative to wonder when it might come in.

Best I can figure is that it's a race between vaccination numbers and the coming of winter. If we keep vaccinating well, and if they were to have offered a first dose to enough people, maybe we get it back in early winter?

We seem to be conditioned to expect a bit of a problem situation in the winter time, but if the vaccination program has proceeded to a fairly advanced situation at that stage, surely the HSE capacity should be a normal shambles rather than 2019-2020 special edition Covid shambles...

I could be wrong but I think the whole return roadmap is intentionally conservative to temper our expectations and there is plenty buffer baked in to allow the government to reopen things sooner and generate goodwill with the voters.

I reckon we'll be back to normal on a lot of fronts a lot sooner than is being forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think the whole return roadmap is intentionally conservative to temper our expectations and there is plenty buffer baked in to allow the government to reopen things sooner and generate goodwill with the voters.

I reckon we'll be back to normal on a lot of fronts a lot sooner than is being forecast

I doubt it. They're not going to reopen anything sooner than signposted for fear it may be too much too soon.

The roadmap may be conservative but they're also being wholly risk averse in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

j@utis wrote: »
    Coincidentally the limit is 50 people in our gym too but the floor area is about 5 times larger than that of local church. But hey old folks now have been vaccinated although they still can carry, transmit and get sick with covid19. So, I don't know what's going on here really.

You should really read up on the latest studies and real world stats from highly vaccinated countries before making comments like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

5 or 6 times a week on weights, separated the muscle groups and rotated heavy and light intensity.

I have bands and a mat that I use for the HIIT sessions.

Goal now is maintain some semblance of fitness so that once back in the gym I am at least cardio fit to get back on the weights and gain some muscle back

Why not keep that routine at home?
    Bands will cover the 3 light days. But not great for the heavy.
    Have you access to a pull up bar?

Pull ups variations
    Push up variations
    Row variations
    HSPU
    Steps ups/pistols

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Why not keep that routine at home?
    Bands will cover the 3 light days. But not great for the heavy.
    Have you access to a pull up bar?

Pull ups variations
    Push up variations
    Row variations
    HSPU
    Steps ups/pistols

I'll keep it up for the next few weeks until the gym is open and in all honesty I'll drop it like a stone... I've been lifting weights on and off for more than 35 years... it makes me happy and enjoy it more than many things i do.

Advertisement