Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That specifically says outdoor training for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

How many people are gym members countrywide, % of population? Gyms are constantly mentioned in the news and media, like something very popular and attended by masses, therefore they must be covid hotspots.
    But personally out of our housing estate (48units) I've ever seen maybe 3-4 people in the our gym and they wouldn't regular goers (show up for 3 months and disappear until the next time). Out of my 25 work colleagues only one is a gym goer, all young people. On the other hand, majority I know love going to restaurants, pubs, concerts, shopping centres and other places of massive gathering...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Mellor wrote: »
    Fairly small sample there mate. Not sure of the relevance. Just like knowing somebody that’s died or got a bad dose doesn’t mean everyone’s gonna die.

That’s unfortunate, genuinely don’t like to see people suffer.
    Sounds like the gym was a band-aid and problem wasn’t addressed. Not judging in the slightest, it’s surprisingly common. I see it quite a lot where people replace a negative problem with a positive one. Unfortunately, it looks very much like a solution.

Hundreds of Thousands? Where did that number come from. Or do you mean figuratively.
    Who are these people and why are they suffering? A gym is a convenient place to work out. It’s not the only way. There are dozens of ways to workout without the gym.

If anyone is struggling with not having access to the gym. Please, ask somebody for help. Ask whoever you trained with, start a thread here, ask in a random thread.
    If you don’t want to start a thread, send me a PM. Or any of the other regular posters here. Will be only glad to help.

As much as I really want the gyms to reopen, this man is speaking a lot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

DuffleBag wrote: »
    As much as I really want the gyms to reopen, this man is speaking a lot of sense

I disagree.My wife works in the fitness profession and she and her colleagues have been inundated with calls for PT.Everyone she talks to is sick and tired of walks,running in the park, cycling especially considering the weather in this country.WIth the constant winds and rain in this country many that were cycling have just gotten sick of it.

So many people dont have the knowledge of how to make fitness programmes to keep updating their routine and id gather most dont know where to look.

The Gym has so much convenience and its the social aspect too and where people can go and have a multitude of different equipment righy beside them plus you dont have to brave the Irish weather.

Another poster mentioned not many in their estate go to the gym,my Job has practicvally all employees that were using a gym and our estate (the younger people) would all be in local gyms.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No mention of gyms. Which is funny, because the original plan for January was to have level 5 (or 4++ or whatever) but specifically keep the gyms open. People were complaining that the gyms would stay open but hairdressers wouldn't.

Now, we are likely to see everything BUT gyms reopening.

• Advertisement

davmol wrote: »
    I disagree.My wife works in the fitness profession and she and her colleagues have been inundated with calls for PT.Everyone she talks to is sick and tired of walks,running in the park, cycling especially considering the weather in this country.WIth the constant winds and rain in this country many that were cycling have just gotten sick of it.

So many people dont have the knowledge of how to make fitness programmes to keep updating their routine and id gather most dont know where to look.

The Gym has so much convenience and its the social aspect too and where people can go and have a multitude of different equipment righy beside them plus you dont have to brave the Irish weather.

Another poster mentioned not many in their estate go to the gym,my Job has practicvally all employees that were using a gym and our estate (the younger people) would all be in local gyms.

Of course, we're all sick of doing those things as well. Whether they use a PT or not that's still another way of exercising without the gym, which was Mellor's point that "the gym is a convenient place to work out, it's not the only way".

Not sure how much of a social aspect there will be if the gyms reopened with individual training only allowed, as it was before this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

To Clarify-this is personal training IN a gym using rowing machines, weights, ropes etc all the things conveniently located in a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm staying up north for a few days and the gym in my hotel is open, so I brought my gear for a few workouts. Will be weird surrounded by actual equipment again!

It's not much, but it's something! I appear to have this to myself for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I'm still sick of HIIT, Tabata, Resistance bands.... and all the other stuff I do every morning trying to maintain a semblance of fitness... I would simply like the gym to open.

Then I can forget about so much cardio fitness and simply lift to get strong and back to the shape I'm used to.

This is why I need the gym to open. And be there seven days a week... happy as I can be

To Clarify-this is personal training IN a gym using rowing machines, weights, ropes etc all the things conveniently located in a gym.

How's that allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I'm still sick of HIIT, Tabata, Resistance bands.... and all the other stuff I do every morning trying to maintain a semblance of fitness... I would simply like the gym to open.

Then I can forget about so much cardio fitness and simply lift to get strong and back to the shape I'm used to.

This is why I need the gym to open. And be there seven days a week... happy as I can be

If you had five square metres spare at home you could have yourself a squat rack, bench, plates, dumbells and away you go.

Good to get out of the house for the buzz and Banter though

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

leanin2019 wrote: »
    If you had five square metres spare at home you could have yourself a squat rack, bench, plates, dumbells and away you go.

Good to get out of the house for the buzz and Banter though

It's a first floor apartment and there is no space spare and no way would I have a rack / bench with up to a 100kg on these floors... I'd be saying hello to the neighbors in a fairly surprising way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone read a media report today where it was stated when gyms are likely to reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

JTMan wrote: »
    Anyone read a media report today where it was stated when gyms are likely to reopen?

I didn't, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Journal mentions June as likely date for gyms. Not sure if that's based on insider info or if they're just making it up, both equally likely.

https://www.thejournal.ie/easing-restrictions-5422865-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

June 7th it is. Was hoping for earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

Mod snip:quoted trolling post

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not sure how that counters what I said.
    A walk in the park, or bit of cycling not remotely what I was referring to. And if people think that's the only way you can train without a gym, they are the people that I'm saying should ask for help. Asking a PT counts too.
    It's true that most people don't info. Which is why they should ask.
    And to add, walking into a gym doesn't suddenly give them this info either.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What were you doing before gyms closed. ie typical routine.
    What is you goal now, or when gyms open?
    What equipment do you have?

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    June 7th it is. Was hoping for earlier.

Disappointing that gyms are not in the 10 May nor late May nor 2 June phases of the easing of restrictions. A very different set of groupings than prior re-openings. Sad that gyms were lowered down the priority list.

Leo promised to put forward a case in favour of gyms at cabinet. This goes to cabinet today. I wonder if Leo might get gyms bumped up the list? or is there little hope of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Disappointing that gyms are not in the 10 May nor late May nor 2 June phases of the easing of restrictions. A very different set of groupings than prior re-openings. Sad that gyms were lowered down the priority list.

Leo promised to put forward a case in favour of gyms at cabinet. This goes to cabinet today. I wonder if Leo might get gyms bumped up the list? or is there little hope of that?

Seems to be prioritising outdoors this time so it'll probably stay that way.

And I would take what Leo says he will do with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Leo is part of the cabinet subcommittee that met yesterday.

Other Ministers could sway it. If they are reading - please do.

There'll be no one in the gym on the 8th of June...everyone will be dying of DOMS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Last time I went back I was in bits for 3 days
    Easing into it over a week or so worked for me last time. Felt a desire to charge in but common sense got a hold of me first!

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Last time I went back I was in bits for 3 days

Most people know to ease back into it but it'll be hard not to be buzzing and overdo it to some degree.

Had hoped it would be a couple of weeks sooner but at least we know now and I can do another few weeks at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think "Leo" was just letting everyone know he was just really one of the guys when he said that. Doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I was half expecting gyms to be June but I also expected it to be in line with personal services and non essential shopping. I just cant see the logic in allowing salons to open where social distancing is not possible at all, treatments going ahead where the client will have no mask on for anything up to an hour (facials) in a small enclosed space with no ventilation but I cant go to the gym and work out in a corner by myself with all the doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

jrosen wrote: »
    I was half expecting gyms to be June but I also expected it to be in line with personal services and non essential shopping. I just cant see the logic in allowing salons to open where social distancing is not possible at all, treatments going ahead where the client will have no mask on for anything up to an hour (facials) in a small enclosed space with no ventilation but I cant go to the gym and work out in a corner by myself with all the doors open.

The only (incredibly slight hope) I have from reading the ITs breakdown is that gyms come back with a booking system on the 10th and just reopen fully on 7th June. Not really expecting that though.

according to this leak, gyms are open in may. so many useless, baseless leaks now it's annoying.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/two-key-dates-for-irelands-lockdown-exit-as-all-details-leaked/ar-BB1gaJnW?li=BBr5HCU

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    according to this leak, gyms are open in may. so many useless, baseless leaks now it's annoying.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/two-key-dates-for-irelands-lockdown-exit-as-all-details-leaked/ar-BB1gaJnW?li=BBr5HCU

While I hope that Extra.ie are right ... Extra.ie is the Daily Mail who have got a few things wrong with reopening plans previously.

Advertisement