Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

But, by the same token, there are also people who will make excuses for not making an effort.

It's 100% an excuse, I'm not contending that. We all have excuses, and we could all always give more effort to something. A large part of whether or not we do comes to enjoyment.

My main point is that telling people they're making excuses isn't going to change the fact that they won't train without gyms. I'm thankful for these people because I wouldn't have a job without them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cill94 wrote: »
    It's 100% an excuse, I'm not contending that. We all have excuses, and we could all always give more effort to something. A large part of whether or not we do comes to enjoyment.

My main point is that telling people they're making excuses isn't going to change the fact that they won't train without gyms. I'm thankful for these people because I wouldn't have a job without them. :D

Just to be clear...I wasn't saying that the closure of gyms won't result in people not training.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Trucks moving dead bodies out of cities...

Lol. You looking at the early 2020 projections or what? The man on the street knows it's not nearly as dangerous as you think. Stop talking shìte.

The early 2020 projections I looked at (a likely IFR of 0.5%) are pretty much in line with exactly what happened. I’m just capable of understanding some slightly complicated maths. Just because most of us are likely to survive doesn’t mean that the number of people at serious risk isn’t actually significant in a population of millions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

OmegaGene wrote: »
    All of the people I know from the gym have adapted in some way or another wether it’s taking up more cardio like cycling or weights at home

I think I'd agree with this, actually. All of the people I know from the gym have pivoted now, one way or another. They've either got home set-ups, or have gotten into cycling. It seems like where people used to post instagram pics of their dinner, now it's these maps with the squiggly red line of their 50km cycle.

I accept that there are undoubtedly large numbers of people who are doing nothing, or less than they were before, but when I actually go through all the folks I know, most of them have got something going on by now...

Still, fair to say the average weight of the population has likely risen by a few kilos per person, myself included... The coronaspeck, as the Germans call it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I think you got to look at the break as a healthy one whether you went the gym everyday it's a chance to try something new bodyweight work calisthenics , cycling , running . Alot of people are cycling now and sea swimming . When I was sea swimming pre covid I'd be lucky to meet one person now everyone is out doing it .

I miss the parkrun and racing in general but its nice to do new things. I really miss my lunchtime pool swim that was more than a swim some days it was felt like a form of therapy was really good for clearing my head.

I suppose it's hard to mimic lifting heavy at home without equipment but some people are very innovative if you want to make it work you will , if you want to make excuses your probably the type of person that always makes excuses. I don't think anyone should use covid as a reason they gained weight and lost fitness , unless they intentionaly just chilled out .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How depressing, this day next week gyms reopen in the UK.

I certainly envy them their vaccination program right now, what else can you say. For me it's not so much the gyms but the possibility of a more open society in general. Indoor dining, household gatherings, it all starts to get back on the table, especially when an advanced vaccine schedule is combined with some kind of Israeli style vaccination certificate or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Husband is really missing the gym and the loss in size is noticeable. He has taken up running 3 times per week just for head space and keep his fitness somewhat ok. He plays football in normal times.
    We have one set of adjustable dumbbells at home and he gets nothing from them.. I get by with the dumbbells but no where near what I would have done in the gym. Noticeable loss of definition in my shoulders/arms/legs bum. Looking forward to getting back to some sort of routine.

People that normally go the gym all the time but now don't do as much do you keep up the same diet ? One thing I've tracked since I started lifting is protein , from an almost zero protein diet when doing swim bike and run to 1g per 1lb of bodyweight a day . It's kind of become my diet now I would find the change away from higher protein diet hard.

new2tri19 wrote: »
    People that normally go the gym all the time but now don't do as much do you keep up the same diet ? One thing I've tracked since I started lifting is protein , from an almost zero protein diet when doing swim bike and run to 1g per 1lb of bodyweight a day . It's kind of become my diet now I would find the change away from higher protein diet hard.

More or less the same. Since I'm WFH I make an effort to get out for a walk every night after the kids are in bed which isn't something I did when gyms are open so based on the scales, I've been at maintenance for the last year.

• Advertisement

How depressing, this day next week gyms reopen in the UK.

A few mates of mine in the UK are going on about how they can't wait to get back into the gym and start 'smashing it'. One in particular has really let himself go over the last while, because he thinks everything will melt off once he gets back in the gym.

My prediction is that out of the few guys I speak to regularly in the UK, only one of them will actually get back into using the gym regularly. One will give up again within the first month, and the other couple will probably go to the gym for a bit, then revert to their home setups they've built over the last year, maybe with the occasional gym session.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I made the most of it so far, jogging 5k nearly every day and doing things like Joe Wicks workouts and using my pull up bar a lot. There's also an outdoor gym in my park with dip bars and pull up bars.
    I lost 5kg since start of lockdown, it isn't impossible.

I'm glad the closure of gyms opened me up to new stuff, and if they never opened again it wouldn't be that big a deal. I don't miss the pressure I put on myself to go every day and I don't miss being around posers and people taking photos of their abs in the changing rooms.

They'll be back open in a couple of months and we'll all have forgotten about how it is now, but I really hope I keep up some of the habits I've formed outside of the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Steven_21

The 12th... only 5 more nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

At the risk of maybe repeating myself, I am missing the gym but I've got more into running. The downside is I can see any work I've done with weights disappeared and my weight is sort of flatlining on me. I genuinely can't wait to get back but I think it will be fitting around the running instead of vice versa. If people are able to keep a good regime around working out at home fair play. I tried it and to be honest died a death. I need the selection of equipment in a gym for some variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I took up cycling & running, cycling mostly when weather is warmer.
    I don't go anything crazy, up to one hour of cardio 5x per week. My legs' joints ache, I'm flabby all over even though my body weight has remained the same. But I have to do something to keep myself on track, especially on the diet front - if I don't exercise I let my diet go too. I really hope this is not for much longer now because otherwise I'll literary run myself into serious joint and tendon issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Reading the govt annoucement there's one thing I'm looking for clarification on and that is whether a PT is able to provide 1-1 training in an outdoor setting or is allowed train a group from the same household, also outdoors. Are any of the above possible on April 12th / 19th / 26th? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

I had a conversation with the owner of a major Dublin pool today.

She said that people in the industry expect pools to be reopen "sometime in May, possibly mid May".

She said that she was really concerned about the effect pool closures were having on swimming lessons. Missing out on teaching kids to swim for over a year will have significant effects.

I know we are only expecting gyms and pools to reopen for individual exercise around mid May but hopefully, for the sake of kids development, swimming lessons can resume soon thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

So we're looking good for gyms in mid May then (cases permitting)? Far longer than I'd have liked but I'll take it at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Vital Transformation

So we're looking good for gyms in mid May then (cases permitting)? Far longer than I'd have liked but I'll take it at this stage...

Seems to be when "non essential" retail and hairdressers are coming back, I was wondering if gyms would be included alongside them.

JTMan wrote: »

She said that people in the industry expect pools to be reopen "sometime in May, possibly mid May".

She said that she was really concerned about the effect pool closures were having on swimming lessons. Missing out on teaching kids to swim for over a year will have significant effects.

I know we are only expecting gyms and pools to reopen for individual exercise around mid May but hopefully, for the sake of kids development, swimming lessons can resume soon thereafter.

If it’s like last time, individual / one to one kids lessons will be back first, yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Seems to be when "non essential" retail and hairdressers are coming back, I was wondering if gyms would be included alongside them.

They term they've been using is "personal services" so I assume gyms fall under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

fully agree but tbh all kids development has lost out

My kids haven't boxed in a year , nothing,
    They had some, during lower levels, GAA but it was half arsed non contact / pod stuff. But all admit it was sh1te and interest levels were on the floor.

More worried about my eldest , he at an age (19) where many lads give up on sport. He has had no boxing or Muay Thai in a year now due to covid and a work accident. I fear he'll drift out of it and be hard to get him into anything again.
    happens with many his age they start working / college after school and other non fitness activities take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Patsy167

May is starting to look promising for Gyms to reopen according to latest reports - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/reopening-of-retail-and-cultural-sites-possible-from-may-if-we-hold-firm-1.4531000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Strikes me of the government telling us to behave with a carrot and stick scenario

Yep, same carrot and stick that's been dangling for over a year. It's not happening in May or anytime soon.

Yep, same carrot and stick that's been dangling for over a year. It's not happening in May or anytime soon.

do what they say and they'll allow you to have nice things.

It really is bread and circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Patsy167 wrote: »
    May is starting to look promising for Gyms to reopen according to latest reports - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/reopening-of-retail-and-cultural-sites-possible-from-may-if-we-hold-firm-1.4531000

Seems like the date, for gyms and pools, could be any time in May with 4 May being the earliest possible date. Sounds like different types of easing may occur weekly in May.

paw patrol wrote: »
    fully agree but tbh all kids development has lost out

My kids haven't boxed in a year , nothing,
    They had some, during lower levels, GAA but it was half arsed non contact / pod stuff. But all admit it was sh1te and interest levels were on the floor.

More worried about my eldest , he at an age (19) where many lads give up on sport. He has had no boxing or Muay Thai in a year now due to covid and a work accident. I fear he'll drift out of it and be hard to get him into anything again.
    happens with many his age they start working / college after school and other non fitness activities take over.

just reading this thread again for updates this morning.

Just realised my younger two kids did swimming lessons per covid and now I've totally forgotten. It not just kids forgetting their skills...:(

Like WTF!

For those of you with only a couple of dumbells I came across this guy doing using bands to add resistance to dumbells, it's clever and something I didn't think of . Might help someone although yous lot probably know all these tricks .

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNbPCHbls6g/?igshid=4u5klz6gny3l

new2tri19 wrote: »
    For those of you with only a couple of dumbells I came across this guy doing using bands to add resistance to dumbells, it's clever and something I didn't think of . Might help someone although yous lot probably know all these tricks .

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNbPCHbls6g/?igshid=4u5klz6gny3l

Having more than 1 band helps as well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

In May its only "Staggered" opening of Barbers/Hairdressers and Retail (with click & collect first).
    Therefore i'd say more likely June for any gymnasiums.

Advertisement