Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rally don't buy this "anyone who has a different opinion to me is egotistical" trope.
    Not anyone. Just George.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Anyone else find the adbreaks fade back to the ‘live’ broadcast off putting? Has that something to do with the 30 second delay?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What's it worth to Tesco to have 10K people hear Eamonn mention them 3-4 times every week?
    That's probably similar reach to a small regional paper? And they have 10's of ads in them. Tesco is getting all the attention on Eamonn's show.

I would have thought Hook would have tried to get his show out there for a month or so and raise it's profile before looking for sponsors. I imagine he is only doing it to keep busy rather than actually needing an income.

Dunphy is getting a lot more than that downloading.

Just from Soundcloud alone he looks to be averaging about 14-15K recently and then there's people who use iTunes instead to add to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Dunphy is getting a lot more than that downloading.

Just from Soundcloud alone he looks to be averaging about 14-15K recently and then there's people who use iTunes instead to add to that.

I just went with what was in the article.

Any thoughts on how much Tesco may be paying to fund the podcast? Circa 20k dedicated listeners is quite the market reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,076 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Feck me that woman talking about the wine on 'movies and booze' is painful, really really painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

benjamin d wrote: »
    Coleman and Cuddihy are just very obvious about playing good cop/bad cop with one of them having to play devil's advocate on every piece. You can see that one of them is always very clearly taking the 'other side' of the story no matter what it is or whether or not they believe in it. It's clear as well when Andrea Gilligan is filling in for one of them.
    So in their defence (I suppose) it's maybe not that either of them are madly PC but that one is forced to take a contrarian view at all times.

It’s a rather contrived approach. Not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I know they have tried before and unlikely to try again but I like Tom dunne on the radio. Can't listen to him at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I know they have tried before and unlikely to try again but I like Tom dunne on the radio. Can't listen to him at night time.

He's a very pleasant presenter. I do hear him a lot of nights as have NT on in the kitchen a lot.
    Not sure though if he would be suited to something like Moncrieff's show as he is filling in at the moment.
    Think he sounds like he is working (on that show) but on his own show, he sounds like he is talking about his absolute passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

He's a very pleasant presenter. I do hear him a lot of nights as have NT on in the kitchen a lot.
    Not sure though if he would be suited to something like Moncrieff's show as he is filling in at the moment.
    Think he sounds like he is working (on that show) but on his own show, he sounds like he is talking about his absolute passion.

Is Newstalk still broadcast in mono? That was a showstopper for me listening to Tom's music shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Dante7 wrote: »
    Is Newstalk still broadcast in mono? That was a showstopper for me listening to Tom's music shows.

I texted in about the broadcast in mono, I got a reply from Tom Dunne that stereo was overrated!

I texted in about the broadcast in mono, I got a reply from Tom Dunne that stereo was overrated!
    41456674-stock-vector-wow-comic-book-cartoon-expression-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg?ver=6

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

zorro2566 wrote: »

Very interested to see how this does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Jess Kelly on Ivan's Final Furlong boasting that she's not able to cook. Ciara Kelly also often states she doesn't do / is not good at doing housework.

Is women pretending not to be able to cook or do housework the new "too cool for school"?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

"On the Record" had a heated discussion about immigration in its newspaper review slot this morning, sparked by the events in Oughterard about the Direct Provision Centre. Usually these discussions are dominated by people on the left, and sure enough they were represented by Colm O'Gorman of Amnesty International and Ivana Bacik, the Labour Party senator. They condemned the xenophobic remarks of Noel Grealish TD, repeatedly said that everyone has to be careful when talking about immigration, and condemned successive governments for failing to reform the direct provision programme. So far so predictable. 

Then Cormac Lucey, a financial commentator, threw in his tuppence. Although he too condemned Grealish, he said that many people had legitimate concerns about how mass migration was changing Ireland. The proportion of people living here who were not been born here increased from around 5% to 15%, he said. And about 60% of jobs created in Ireland since 2005 had gone to people born outside the country; a remarkable statistic.

Unused to hearing such arguments on radio, O'Gorman nearly had a conniption. He accused Lucey of scare-mongering in using the phrase "mass migration" and proceeded to lecture him on language use. Lucey replied that O'Gorman was avoiding the main issue, preferring to engage in linguistic trivialities. He added that many suspected that a significant proportion of asylum seekers were actually economic migrants, that some were experts at dragging out the asylum process by deliberately loosing their passports etc., and that the number of deportations of rejected asylum seekers was abnormally low. The sniping continued until the commercial break. After the break, Gavin Reilly, the host, allowed O'Gorman ten seconds to respond to some argument. O'Gorman took 27 seconds.

Overall, O'Gorman came across as patronising and peevish. He seemed shocked to encounter a commentator who didn't agree that all asylum seekers are great and that immigration was an unalloyed blessing for countries. It's very rare that shows like "On the Record" have panellists who dissent from the received "right on" opinion on issues such as migration. It was refreshing to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

"On the Record" had a heated discussion about immigration in its newspaper review slot this morning, sparked by the events in Oughterard about the Direct Provision Centre. Usually these discussions are dominated by people on the left, and sure enough they were represented by Colm O'Gorman of Amnesty International and Ivana Bacik, the Labour Party senator. They condemned the xenophobic remarks of Noel Grealish TD, repeatedly said that everyone has to be careful when talking about immigration, and condemned successive governments for failing to reform the direct provision programme. So far so predictable. 

Then Cormac Lucey, a financial commentator, threw in his tuppence. Although he too condemned Grealish, he said that many people had legitimate concerns about how mass migration was changing Ireland. The proportion of people living here who were not been born here increased from around 5% to 15%, he said. And about 60% of jobs created in Ireland since 2005 had gone to people born outside the country; a remarkable statistic.

Unused to hearing such arguments on radio, O'Gorman nearly had a conniption. He accused Lucey of scare-mongering in using the phrase "mass migration" and proceeded to lecture him on language use. Lucey replied that O'Gorman was avoiding the main issue, preferring to engage in linguistic trivialities. He added that many suspected that a significant proportion of asylum seekers were actually economic migrants, that some were experts at dragging out the asylum process by deliberately loosing their passports etc., and that the number of deportations of rejected asylum seekers was abnormally low. The sniping continued until the commercial break. After the break, Gavin Reilly, the host, allowed O'Gorman ten seconds to respond to some argument. O'Gorman took 27 seconds.

Overall, O'Gorman came across as patronising and peevish. He seemed shocked to encounter a commentator who didn't agree that all asylum seekers are great and that immigration was an unalloyed blessing for countries. It's very rare that shows like "On the Record" have panellists who dissent from the received "right on" opinion on issues such as migration. It was refreshing to hear.

It's about time someone pulled them up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The doctor is worse than Marian for showing up.

kneemos wrote: »
    The doctor is worse than Marian for showing up.

Ciara Kelly? Well she doesn't derive her income from the licence payer. I'm not seeing how they're comparable except for the fact that they're both women.

I do agree it can be annoying when there's a spate of replacements on a show where you prefer the headline host, but at least there's consistency with CK's replacement, and it isn't a different presenter each time.

Same with Marian Finucane and Seán O'Rourke programmes, in fairness to them.

That superstar of breakfast tv Mark Cagney filling in for Ivan.The man is useless when everything is not rehearsed or interviewing someone from Fair City.

mgn wrote: »
    That superstar of breakfast tv Mark Cagney filling in for Ivan.The man is useless when everything is not rehearsed or interviewing someone from Fair City.
    I was listening in the car so only half-listening, admittedly. He seemed perfectly fine, very competent actually. I enjoyed it.

I can't think of any criticism at all (disagreed with his opinions, but that's hardly relevant).

What aspect of his broadcast are you taking issue with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Ciara Kelly is just a middle class version of Niall Boylan.

I was listening in the car so only half-listening, admittedly. He seemed perfectly fine, very competent actually. I enjoyed it.

I can't think of any criticism at all (disagreed with his opinions, but that's hardly relevant).

What aspect of his broadcast are you taking issue with?

He's inoffensive enough. Probably not the experience or background for the serious stuff though.

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Hmm. Really? I think Newstalk producers are taking their format from LBC. They usually start a discussion with an expert, and then open the mic to the public.

I'm not really familiar with NB, but (excuse me if I'm mistaken) his MO (is he still on radio?) is to bypass any professional input and proceed directly to instinctive reactions to tabloid headlines.

Maybe I'm being unfair...

kneemos wrote: »
    He's inoffensive enough. Probably not the experience or background for the serious stuff though.
    No experience?

I disagree with Mark Cagney on pretty much everything. But the guy woke up at 3am every morning for decades to put a frame on major, breaking stories. Very often, his perspectives on major stories have probably informed subsequent interpretations of news for the rest of the working day.

I doubt MC and I share any political views in common. But he is obviously a very bright man, with sincere political views, and I hope he is given a platform on Newstalk or another major national station very soon.

Whether we agree with him or not, his skills as a broadcaster are beyond doubt.

No experience?

I disagree with Mark Cagney on pretty much everything. But the guy woke up at 3am every morning for decades to put a frame on major, breaking stories. Very often, his perspectives on major stories have probably informed subsequent interpretations of news for the rest of the working day.

I doubt MC and I share any political views in common. But he is obviously a very bright man, with sincere political views, and I hope he is given a platform on Newstalk or another major national station very soon.

Whether we agree with him or not, his skills as a broadcaster are beyond doubt.

He was on TV3 news not BBC or sky news.He is okay for that level of rubbish TV3 produce which is nothing short of pure rubbish all playing along to the same populist nonsense every morning.

mgn wrote: »
    He was on TV3 news not BBC or sky news.He is okay for that level of rubbish TV3 produce which is nothing short of pure rubbish all playing along to the same populist nonsense every morning.
    Look you've obviously decided that he's not up to your standards. I like him, however much I disagree with him. I reckon his career suffered from leaving RTE, but I'd put him in a similar bracket to Pat Kenny - another broadcaster whose views might not be popular but an obviously talented journalist. I'll leave you the last word should you wish!

Look you've obviously decided that he's not up to your standards. I like him, however much I disagree with him. I reckon his career suffered from leaving RTE, but I'd put him in a similar bracket to Pat Kenny - another broadcaster whose views might not be popular but an obviously talented journalist. I'll leave you the last word should you wish!

If your putting him in the same bracket as Pat Kenny your delusion.
    Pat Kenny is a first class journalist who doesn't play into the populist nonsense the likes of Cagney and a few more on Newstalk do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I8A4RE wrote: »

Ciara Kelly is a card carrying PC Liberal

Niall boylan has made a mark for himself challenging the cosy PC media consensus

He's not Pat Kenny. Having views is not journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Pat Kenny is not a journalist. He's a presenter. There is a difference...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement