Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Is there a reason the newspapers and offical online news sources have been so merciful on newstalks new schedule? Its not just Denis O' briens papers either. this was in the times online,

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/insurgent-newstalk-targets-stagnant-rt%C3%A9-but-2016-s-real-revolution-occurs-off-the-airwaves-1.2914038

I mean Paul Willams is incompetent but no one is calling him on it. They just dance around it by saying he is splitting opinion. The man may be a good crime reporter but he is a one trick pony. The same analysis is given to George Hook, The man has got lazy, no one has called him on the vaccine thing. The man goes out of his way to insist on the science on head injuries in sport especially rugby but then dismisses all the science on the hpv vaccine.

Pat Kenny is still competent but the show is becoming very magaziney. Moncreff is still great but seems like budget has been cut for contributers. Lots of lacklustre Irish contibuters like the tv guy.

Chris o donoghue is ok but very forgettable. Shane Coleman is a good cover but less effective fulltime. Plus he is unapologetically a iFianna fail spokesman. Yet once again no one in other media cales him on his bias. His Bertie interview was a disgrace and should have been enough to get him demoted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Irish media don't criticise each other. It's a small circle jerk and they never know when they'll be stuck on a panel or at the same media booze up as the person they written a critical article about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Was due to be back to work today but persistent flu has me working from home.
    Listening to Robert Fisk and Pat Kenny for last half hour.
    Quality radio. Fisk has some knowledge of global politics and in particular the middle east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Was due to be back to work today but persistent flu has me working from home.

I'd say that raised a few eyebrows when you rang that one in :D

I'd say that raised a few eyebrows when you rang that one in :D

Probably. I had gone in yesterday to get a head start so I can treat the raised eyebrows with a disinterested shrug. :)

• Advertisement

Mary Phelan is owed a cheque from the owners of both Bumble and Tinder after todays performance on Moncrief.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mary Phelan is owed a cheque from the owners of both Bumble and Tinder after todays performance on Moncrief.

Sean forcing the patriarchy on Mary today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ogle putting Hook back in his box there. It annoys the sh!te out of me when Hook pontificates that everybody should pay their fair share of tax when his boss Denis O'Brien does everything he can to avoid paying tax in this country. Hook seems to think that if everybody paid the water tax there wouldn't be a homeless crisis :rolleyes:

Ogle putting Hook back in his box there. It annoys the sh!te out of me when Hook pontificates that everybody should pay their fair share of tax when his boss Denis O'Brien does everything he can to avoid paying tax in this country. Hook seems to think that if everybody paid the water tax there wouldn't be a homeless crisis

Yes but equally, Brendan Ogle didn't want to talk about the artists at Apollo house who have artist exemption status.
    Kettle and Pot and so on.

Yes but equally, Brendan Ogle didn't want to talk about the artists at Apollo house who have artist exemption status.
    Kettle and Pot and so on.

Pure deflection on Hook's part. He can't see the hypocrisy of banging on about people not paying their fair share of taxes and completely ignoring the fact that his boss Denis O'Brien (despite the fact that he has made a fortune from this country) does everything he can to pay as little tax as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Pure deflection on Hook's part. He can't see the hypocrisy of banging on about people not paying their fair share of taxes and completely ignoring the fact that his boss Denis O'Brien (despite the fact that he has made a fortune from this country) does everything he can to pay as little tax as possible.

Everyone does everything they can to pay as little tax as possible. Why would anyone willingly pay more tax if they can legally minimise it?

Anger directed at the wrong people tbh.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Everyone does everything they can to pay as little tax as possible. Why would anyone willingly pay more tax if they can legally minimise it?

My point is that Hook shouldn't lecture the Irish about paying taxes when his own boss avoids it so much. Ordinary PAYE workers don't have the luxury of being able to minimise their tax liability to the bone, and they don't have the luxury of using this country for as much financial gain as possible and then choosing to live abroad for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

True.

But the point being made is that poor people are criticised for such behaviour, and while criticised also, such behaviour is simply expected from wealthy people. It's like the Luas drivers debacle; businesses are expected to be greedy, profit maximising. When workers act the same way, they're more heavily criticised. Newstalk and its listeners would have been the most vocal critics of the Luas workers at the time which is why I give the example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

lol!!! probably because we are not all billionaires who claim or pretend to be some kind of patriot. not to mention a crook. get a grip ffs, the mans a scumbag. you are delusional if you think otherwise no matter what book of legislation he hides behind next with his army of lawyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Or the hypocrisy of him ignoring the fact the he was done for not paying VAT when he had his catering business.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

lol!!! probably because we are not all billionaires who claim or pretend to be some kind of patriot. not to mention a crook. get a grip ffs, the mans a scumbag. you are delusional if you think otherwise no matter what book of legislation he hides behind next with his army of lawyers.

Who said I thought otherwise? I never said I liked O'Brien or how he does business. Simply saying him reducing his tax bill isn't indicative of anything other than good business sense.

I just don't think someone trying to pay as little tax as possible is a bad thing. If I were earning enough, I'd damn sure use every available loophole or trick to ensure that at the end of the day the largest possible amount of money ended up in my account rather than the State coffers. If it's legal, it's legal. Anger should be directed at the legality rather than the people who exploit perfectly legal things IMO.
    foxtrot101 wrote: »
    There's also the fact that George was done for not paying VAT when he had his catering business.

A far more pertinent criticism rather than his relationship to someone about 15 steps up the chain of command in his workplace tbh.

Who said I thought otherwise? I never said I liked O'Brien or how he does business. Simply saying him reducing his tax bill isn't indicative of anything other than good business sense.

I just don't think someone trying to pay as little tax as possible is a bad thing. If I were earning enough, I'd damn sure use every available loophole or trick to ensure that at the end of the day the largest possible amount of money ended up in my account rather than the State coffers. If it's legal, it's legal. Anger should be directed at the legality rather than the people who exploit perfectly legal things IMO.

A far more pertinent criticism rather than his relationship to someone about 15 steps up the chain of command in his workplace tbh.

indeed, and a far more pertinitent response to your condescending waffle is that you are trying to compare sensible tax compliance to a billionaire who has been deemed to be a liar and a crook in a Irish court of law tribunal...trying to compare DOB and his tax exile loopholes versus your average paye worker looking after their own taxes is laughable

indeed, and a far more pertinitent response to your condescending waffle is that you are trying to compare sensible tax compliance to a billionaire who has been deemed to be a liar and a crook in a Irish court of law tribunal...trying to compare DOB and his tax exile loopholes versus your average paye worker looking after their own taxes is laughable

Loopholes are there to be exploited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

PC Coleman is unbearable to listen too, afraid to give an honest opinion and always sits on the fence to be the nice guy. He is an absolute sickener!

Hook knows it and let's him know too when he's on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

risteard7 wrote: »
    PC Coleman is unbearable to listen too, afraid to give an honest opinion and always sits on the fence to be the nice guy. He is an absolute sickener!

Hook knows it and let's him know too when he's on the show.

Coleman is a FF stooge

Never forget that

ziggy wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks for that. I let them know they're doing a lot right.

risteard7 wrote: »
    PC Coleman is unbearable to listen too, afraid to give an honest opinion and always sits on the fence to be the nice guy.

I don't think that's a reason to get rid of him, but I do think that it is a good reason to always pair him with something a bit more provocative and outspoken.

Maybe Coleman has his eyes on a move back to politics at some stage, and is afraid of saying something now that will be used by the media to hang him later.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

People give out that Coleman is boring and they also give out when Moncrieff argues with texters, you're damned either way.

People give out that Coleman is boring and they also give out when Moncrieff argues with texters, you're damned either way.

eh? that makes no sense, coleman and moncrieff are by no means polar opposites, moncrieff is in absolutely no way provocative, he just chucks his toys out of the pram when someone calls him out for being a dickhead, which he can be.

eh? that makes no sense, coleman and moncrieff are by no means polar opposites, moncrieff is in absolutely no way provocative, he just chucks his toys out of the pram when someone calls him out for being a dickhead, which he can be.

I think what SYN is getting at is that no matter what you do, you'll piss off people.

If you stay neutral, you'll be accused of sitting on the fence and not having an opinion.
    If you give any opinion, people will say "Oh, I wish they'd just shut up and stop injecting their own agenda into everything!"
    If you talk about your personal life, "No one cares!"
    If you don't talk about your personal life, "We know nothing about them!"

I think what SYN is getting at is that no matter what you do, you'll piss off people.

That is certainly true, but I guess the starting point for all conversations is that no presenter will be universally liked. Take Moncreiff for example. I hate him, and all his facetious smart ar$e remarks, but some people love him. I love George Hook and all his controversial remarks, but some people hate him.

Healy can't even read out the damned headlines without salting them with his own opinions and smart ar$e remarks. I mean even Marion can read out the headlines.

And if he feels so strongly about the Syrian refugees, why doesn't he start a petition in his own local community to have them house a few thousand. I always hear people like Healy and Peter Sutherland on the radio saying that we have to do our "duty", but I never see them putting their own hand up.

This show really needs Shane Coleman back in charge. The show was perfect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭robbe

Anyone (quite possibly not) listen to the Tom Dunne show recently? Used to podcast some of his regular items (movies and cocktails etc) but saw when he was asked on Twitter that the segment was being 'rested'...perhaps turning back into more of a music driven show than one with slots/segments or whatever you call them......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Healy can't even read out the damned headlines without salting them with his own opinions and smart ar$e remarks. I mean even Marion can read out the headlines.

And if he feels so strongly about the Syrian refugees, why doesn't he start a petition in his own local community to have them house a few thousand. I always hear people like Healy and Peter Sutherland on the radio saying that we have to do our "duty", but I never see them putting their own hand up.

This show really needs Shane Coleman back in charge. The show was perfect for him.

I have an idea for a radio prank.

We get the Game of Thrones guy in the studio for an interview, bring up the refugee crisis and give him the floor. At the end of his passionate address we bring in actors posing as a Syrian family.

Now call his bluff and inform him that this family will be coming home with him and watch his face drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement