Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

That relatively new lady who does all of the (very many) corporate sponsor taglines over the day has obviously taken a lot of elecution lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

KevIRL wrote: »
    That relatively new lady who does all of the (very many) corporate sponsor taglines over the day has obviously taken a lot of elecution lessons.

Is she the same one who does The Moncrieff Fact of the day intro I’d love to know who she is anyone know?

Is she the same one who does The Moncrieff Fact of the day intro I’d love to know who she is anyone know?
    is it Doireann Ní Bhriain, by any chance?

She does the announcements on the Luas, too.

"Faiche Stiabhna"

Koloman wrote: »
    I think the fact of the day voice over woman is ex producer Caroline Clarke who now works for RTE.

Sean is well acquainted with her.:pac:

No it’s not Caroline as the same lady does a lot of more recent voiceovers for different programs

is it Doireann Ní Bhriain, by any chance?

She does the announcements on the Luas, too.

"Faiche Stiabhna"

I don’t think so as looking at her wiki page she only works for RTÉ and yes is the Luas announcer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

JNLRs:

Newstalk Breakfast – Reach 121,000 (Up 2,000 listeners book-on-book)
    Pat Kenny – Reach 150,000 (Down 1,000 listeners book-on-book)
    High Noon (now Lunchtime with Ciara Kelly) – Reach 102,000 (Up 4,000 listeners book-on-book)
    Moncrieff – Reach 79,000 (Up 2,000 listeners book-on-book)
    Drive (now Hard Shoulder) – Reach 135,000 (Up 5,000 listeners book-on-book)
    Off The Ball – Reach 53,000 (Up 2,000 listeners book-on-book)

so the biggest winners BoB were Chris and Sarah on Drive.
    waiting for the ilevel.ie graphs for YoY.

53k is a highest ever listenership for OTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Chris Donohue on Sunday broadcast a pre-recorded interview with Paschal Donohue from some cafe or other. Paschal was his usual deflecting self, but the thing I remember most from the interview was the background noise - which was very distracting. Such a bizarre thing to do; I suspect it was designed to show Paschal is an ordinary guy who's so busy he has to have meetings at lunchtime etc. and he's just like you and me or down with the kids etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

53k is a highest ever listenership for OTB.

Ive never paid attention to otb numbers before but was shocked to see they are this small. I’m a big fan of the show and listen most evenings and I can only imagine with the number of presenters, quality of guests, paying match rights and the various locations they travel to can only mean that it can’t be making much money for newstalk.

Goes to show how valuable the likes of Matt Cooper is to Today FM, single reliable presenter for a long number of years pulling in more than 2x of otb numbers (appreciate it’s a different audience at a different time).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ive never paid attention to otb numbers before but was shocked to see they are this small. I’m a big fan of the show and listen most evenings and I can only imagine with the number of presenters, quality of guests, paying match rights and the various locations they travel to can only mean that it can’t be making much money for newstalk.

Goes to show how valuable the likes of Matt Cooper is to Today FM, single reliable presenter for a long number of years pulling in more than 2x of otb numbers (appreciate it’s a different audience at a different time).

What portion of the listenership is it though? My guess, and its why I am asking, is that the total # of listeners is much higher during the Matt Cooper slot and thus to get 53k might be a good outcome.

In saying that, 53k does seem very low for the amount and variety of content that they cover

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Chris Donohue on Sunday broadcast a pre-recorded interview with Paschal Donohue from some cafe or other. Paschal was his usual deflecting self, but the thing I remember most from the interview was the background noise - which was very distracting. Such a bizarre thing to do; I suspect it was designed to show Paschal is an ordinary guy who's so busy he has to have meetings at lunchtime etc. and he's just like you and me or down with the kids etc.

I was listening to bit of that show on Sunday myself about Hidden Histories and Shamrock Rovers. For some reason there were seagulls in the background, maybe it was recorded somewhere as an outside broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What portion of the listenership is it though? My guess, and its why I am asking, is that the total # of listeners is much higher during the Matt Cooper slot and thus to get 53k might be a good outcome.

In saying that, 53k does seem very low for the amount and variety of content that they cover

Agree completely, I suppose I am making two separate points

1. Return on investment from otb doesn’t look great but understand they have a smaller potential audience due to their time slot (maybe a reason for the old crew demanded an earlier slot and left when they didn’t get it?)
    2. How important it is to get the drivetime slot right which I think Today FM do okay on. They are surely getting a good return on investment from Matt as the costs of the show (1 long term popular presenter) seem stable which would be attractive to potential advertisers

Agree completely, I suppose I am making two separate points

1. Return on investment from otb doesn’t look great but understand they have a smaller potential audience due to their time slot (maybe a reason for the old crew demanded an earlier slot and left when they didn’t get it?)
    2. How important it is to get the drivetime slot right which I think Today FM do okay on. They are surely getting a good return on investment from Matt as the costs of the show (1 long term popular presenter) seem stable which would be attractive to potential advertisers

A couple of comments:
    1. It's the targetting of the audience that's important to the advertisers. What's attractive about OTB is there's very little wastage there - if you're advertising a product that would be of interest to ABC1 Males aged 24-45 (like the core listenership of OTB would be then you've less %-wise outside of that target demographic than you would on say The Last Word. It's why you hear a lot of ads for male medical conditions (like testicular cancer) on shows like this and not female ones. Crude example but just go with it for the purposes of this exercise.
    2. Advertisers couldn't care less about what costs are for a show - that's the show's/station's concern, not theirs. For advertisers, it's just about the audience - size yes, but also targeting.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What portion of the listenership is it though?
    No idea, but by way of example, John Creedon (8pm - 10pm, RTÉR1) pulls in a significantly smaller audience, fluctuating at about 40,000 listeners, give or take.

RTÉ Arena (7pm - 8pm), which admittedly is more niche, only fluctuates around the 32,000 listener-mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Don't know whether this is imaginary but the ad breaks across the whole of Newstalk seem to me to have gotten much longer in the past while, as in a good 5 mins instead of maybe 2.

Have flicked to Nova a few times at the start of a break, listen to a full tune, flick back and the ads are still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

53k for that time of the evening is a good figure IMO.

as you said, Matt Cooper is on a different time, you could throw anyone into the drivetime slot and still hold most of his audience.
    most people are commuting at that time of the evening, and with so many in cars, have the radio on, so much bigger numbers are to be expected.

I remember seeing the 15min breakdowns for programmes and most listenership numbers fall off a cliff from 6:15pm through to 7pm as people get home, Matt Cooper included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When did Newstalk give up the ghost on opting out to Cork for the lunchtime programme or indeed anything else? They used to make great play of travelling about the country for a show every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

There was some guy reading de news during de week on Newsdalk.

I was fid to fire de radio into orbit.

Soft “D” pronunciation making words with “T” sound like a “D”.

Grader Manchester police
    It took just a madder of minutes to....
    Twidder closed Trump’s Twidder account
    And now the spord with....

Apparently it’s called “Flapping” or “Flap T”. It’s an American English thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Tuning in to Chris Donohue's Sunday show today for the first time. I had to post here when one of the guests said there's a danger on social media of people getting into an echo chamber. This comment after 40 minutes of backslapping and nodding along to the same opinions between the lot of them.

A woman he has on was talking about people threatening to release private photos of internet users in the US. I feel compelled to record the acrobatics of her maths:

- 10% of internet users have been threatened
    - 80% of the US has internet - 80% of 323million
    - 10% of internet users are women under 35
    - therefore 32 million women under 35 in the US have been threatened with having private photos released.

No one questioned her logic. Chris was tripping over himself to avoid saying anything offensive when he was feigning devil's advocate during a bit about John Halligan. Some guff about the pay gap as well, including a comment from the woman about how she only ever hears the men bring up money in interviews and not women, but in such a way that it was a negative to men, and then saying "we" (society, men?) need to fix that. Again no comment from the lads.

I used to like Chris even with his totally uncurious, unquestioning left-liberal bias, but he's just allowing his guests to make any statement they want as fact with no moderation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

styron wrote: »
    redbuck wrote: »
    Christmas has come early......

We are so quick to complain about EVERYTHING in this country, he was knowledgeable, kept informed and while I wouldn't have made sure I didn't miss his show, I didn't think he was a disaster either.

Best of luck to him.

"Interesting" few weeks for Communicorp all round between Hook, Porter and Donoghue (art of me wonders if Chris is leaving after an internal backlash (overt or covert) after his part in the Hook saga?) all departing for various reasons.

And yet Paul Williams is still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

styron wrote: »
    Christmas has come early......

We are so quick to complain about EVERYTHING in this country, he was knowledgeable, kept informed and while I wouldn't have made sure I didn't miss his show, I didn't think he was a disaster either.

Best of luck to him.
    Excuse me complaining about one presenter I personally dislike isn't complaining about EVERYTHING in this country. People have differing opinions to your one, get over it and don't jump down peoples throats with a different view point.

Excuse me complaining about one presenter I personally dislike isn't complaining about EVERYTHING in this country. People have differing opinions to your one, get over it and don't jump down peoples throats with a different view point.

I too voiced an opinion. :)

As for jumping down peoples throats. Thanks for the example.

And yet Paul Williams is still there!

I think as long as the Kinahan's are in the news, he can be expected to continue. That's his schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Seriously. The station is f***ed.

If you just take Mon - Fri, we start the day with two clowns. "Hang 'em all" clown and "Ah - be nice to everyone" clown.

At 9 we get the Pat Kenny Magazine Show. FFS, one of the hardest hitting interviewers the country has ever seen/heard talks about dog maggots and the book of the month.

Next comes the tabloid Ciara Kelly Phone-in Show followed by Cranky Moncrieff and his standard "F*** you listener. I'm always right".

Wrap up the daytime with Ivan Doing his best to pretend he's an idiot (or maybe he's not pretending) and then we get to the only show worth listening to. At least the sports guys are doing what a listener would expect. Having a bit of laugh and doing great sports reporting.

I have to say that the loss of the likes of Donohue, McInerney, Dil whatshername, and any others of their ilk, isn't really a loss. Now they need to find some decent radio presenters and give them the freedom to present decent radio. Bobby Kerr's starting to look like a real pro these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pat has 15 hours a week so he has to branch out into more softer topics, he can't be just doing politics all the time.

I like his show.

Chris O'Donoghue cannot catch a break.

Announced last week he was leaving Newstalk to join Simon Coveney and now this Francis Fitzgerald mess is blowing up.

He'll remember 2017 for a while.

New weekend schedule announced today.

Guess who's back. Back again! George Hook - 2 Hr breakfast show on Saturday.
    Andrea Gilligan and Jessica Kelly both get hour long shows on Sunday.

Think it's good news to see Andrea and Jessica getting opportunities having put in the hours behind the mic or in lesser roles before now. Albeit in fairly non-mainstream time slots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Andrea Gilligan's voice annoys me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement