Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Yeah but until that happens you'd think that RTE, Newstalk and other media players wouldn't use confusing and incorrect descriptors when they've been corrected so many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Or hopefully it would become the bin for glass collection!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Newstalk have become absolutely insufferable to listen to. Sports programs and in particular off the ball are hammering the life out of this women in sport. No problem in promoting it but, I switched on to hear a bit of build up to the all Ireland and they are interviewing someone about a game involving Peamount.

JFC, it's been laid on too thick too soon. In time there will just be too much happening to cover any sport sufficiently. They will tie themselves up in PC knots in no time. Rte and sky sports are just as bad, the PC checklist must have to be ticked before any program goes out..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Any criticism of the coverage and you're labelled a misogynist. The coverage isn't organic at all, it's all forced.

They use the excuse of "can't see can't be" to force the agenda. Who the **** did Leona Maguire see to become a pro golfer? Katie Taylor? Ellen Keane?

I hate getting into the car, flicking on OTB for the long drive and hearing them discuss womens football or camogie...do the attendances not tell them how much the population are interested in them???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah, gosh it's so hard to find any coverage of men's soccer & GAA. Where's the balance?

Sake.

Anyway, I still will never forgive Newstalk for taking an hour off Moncrieff for more Lunchtime Live gossip nonsense & Drivetime didn't Pat Kenny already do all of this today business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Three hours for the Hard Shoulder is ridiculous and unnecessary in this day and age. It's totally drawn out and some of the filler is absolutely banal. It would be a tight and enjoyable two hour show but it's completely stretched at three hours.

I despise Lunchtime Live. It's two hours too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It really becomes obvious how much Shane Coleman is an arrogant know it all when he is opining on something he knows absolutely nothing about like the americas cup bid this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The thing about Newstalk presenters is they all think they're cutting edge tough presenters, aside from Pat.

They all from time to time love to get on their little soap box and go on a rant about some topic that gets shared on facebook etc that gets a few k likes because it's a popular opinion.

Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG_ZnOU6l_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Poor Mary Lou thought she was coming on to slate FF and Fg , but is being asked questions on SF funding and how they will fund their policies. Talk about out of her depth. Clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I thought it was quite funny when she was asked about whether she would refer to Ireland as the Republic of Ireland if she was Taoiseach. Felt like she started her response not knowing how it would end.

Is it just me or nearly every day in the last few months is one of their daytime hosts on leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

He was disgraceful yesterday morning on the subject of pensions. A Cathy Newman "so what your saying is" approach combined with scoffing openly at the interviewee. A real numbers-only-and-to-hell-with-the-people economics head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Was Delightful to hear Shane get his ass handed to him by the commodor of Cobh Yacht club this morning. My favorite was when shane decided to completely shift his goalpost based on new information instead of maybe considering he mightnt know what hes talking about.

Shane "200 million would be alot to spend on hosting an event like this"

CYC Commodore "Actually shane 150 million of that would have been solely based on infrastructure like the rail line to cobh and the roads surrounding the area"

Shane "Well 50 million would be alot to spend on hosting an event like this"

In all fairness to him, he needs to give an opposing view even if the argument is weak. He could be fully in favour of it but that doesn't make for interesting debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭leath_dub

That's it. The show is a vehicle for collecting 30 cent texts. Topic for discussion comes up. Ciara argues view A and reads her pre-written opinins on it. Shay then pipes in to promote Opinion B and reads an equally provocotive argument to support it. "Text us in to tell us what you think".

Rinse and repeat for two hours

John"Unionist" Bruton predictably putting the boot into Micheal D Higgins for not attending the Prtition Commemoration event on Newstalk Breakfast today

It would be far worse if they got on someone with a certain viewpoint and just agreed with everything they said.

You'd be complaining that the discussion was one sided then!

On occasion they do have two guests on discussing a topic and they just act as moderators which would be the preference.

The point is that half the time they clearly don't agree with the arguments they are proposing. Its las if when they get in to the studio it's "Here you go Ciara, you take envelope 1 and Shane you're doing envelope 2" The whole purpose is to stimulate revenue by getting people to text in at 30 cents a go. Talksport in te UK employ the same strategy.

Between this and the 20K giveaway "competitions" Newstalk has gone seriously down market. You can almost feel the embarassment from the likes of Pat Kenny as he has to read a so-called question like: "What famous Hollywood actor is currently in Ireland making a program about golf courses. Is it A: Bill Murray or B; Jedward." Texts cost 2 euro plus your normal text charges

All it is is an expensive raffle

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scouser123

This so called giveaway is a disgrace. Apart from being really annoying its not actually a giveaway. They take in 50k and give BACK 25k!! And then they take a high and mighty approach to gambling on the hard shoulder. I have sent emails to all their programs about this and they haven't even the decency to reply. Very surprised that some of their senior presenters are not against it.

I stil can't understand how people use the 30c text line either. Crazy.

• Advertisement

Pat had scoffed at reading out the questions a few weeks back, but I think someone had a word with him telling him where his wages are coming from !! I'm not sure even how many radio stations this 'quiz' is running on.

So - where are ABBA from - Sweden or South Africa?

It was irritating at first but the competition seems to run at least every two weeks if not more frequently which is making it infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

5: Newstalk, Today FM, 98FM, Spin 1038 and Spin Southwest.

They had been asking different questions on each station up until recently and no matter the question, the answer would always be "A" for all stations or "B" for all stations each time.

These sort of crowdfunded competitions are common in the UK so no surprise Bauer have brought it in here and I doubt it's going to go away anytime soon.

It must be sailing very close to breaching lottery legislation though. It's hard to argue that there's an element of skill in it, especially when you have h likes of Ciara Kelly and/or Shane Coleman giving extra "clues" when they deem the answer not blindingly obvious enough!

Five traditional stations but over 20 if you include the online stations at https://www.goloudnow.com/listen-live

I'm sure the presenters are seek to the teeth of shilling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Itv have something similar, competition giveaway with large enough prizes. It's become such a money spinner it is now a permanent feature with various competitions all year round. It was their main source of income last year when advertising declined due to pandemic. So can see the same fate for newstalk, it will become permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's not promoted across the digital stations as far as I can tell

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement