Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

bossdrum wrote: »
    These were the guys giving advice to teenagers about having threesomes a few years ago.

All very liberal and progressive.
    PC Chris fits in perfectly.

Ahh yes cus if we dont talk to them about it it wont happen.....

It was actually Michelle Mulherin being clueless about the streisand effect that displayed that specific advice to the youth of the country when she had a big hissy fit about it all over the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Christ almighty. That promo with Bobby Kerr singing Wonderwall..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Christ almighty. That promo with Bobby Kerr singing Wonderwall..

Surely that's worse than what Hook did??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Such aggression on a Saturday morning

Terrible presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Sarah mac I take it?

Yeah right mess. It's 8am on a sat ffs. Carey knew how to make that show interesting without. Sounding like Freddie Kruger on acid.

I don't bloody need that much attitude that hour of the morning so I switched off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I heard Political Editor Chris O'Donoghue ringing in again, from his porcelain office. It's funny, cos I can get no reception at all from the jacks in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭4Ad

Terrible presenter

I put on the radio this morning and there was Sarah McSnappy, NO !
    I turned her off....thought/hoped she was gone !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Chris donohues new role seems like a serious demotion / step backwards in his career, seems to be on call to give his input from 7am until 7pm. Add in the prep work and that's a crap work life balance.

The lunchtime news bulletin on KFM everyday has now been ruined for me by his mundane daily political reports/opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I assume Bobby Kerr will be suspended from Newstalk now as in "The Cultural Toolbox" segment of his show they just played Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" which contain the following lyrics:

See the little fag*ot with the earring and the make up
    Yeah buddy that's his own hair
    That little fag*ot got his own jet airplane
    That little fag*ot he's a millionaire

Clearly these homophobic and grossly offensive lyrics should not be tolerated. Newstalk's playing of this music is a tacit endorsement of gay bashing - indeed if any gay man gets assaulted in the next 50 years it can be clearly linked to this broadcast. Why should I have such hate speech music rammed down my throat as I try to consume my frappochino latte and almond croissant from Avoca's craft bakery on a Sunday morning as I read DOCTOR Ciara Kelly's columns in the Sunday independent (the paper of choice for neo-liberals)? Homosexuals are also an important advertising demographic to Newstalk and they should be reminded of this in the strongest possible terms with all right-thinking and right/minded listeners boycotting the station with immediate effect. The only suitable response to this would be to slit Kerr's throat live on air with a feather boa, and then playing Erasure's cover of the ABBA classic "Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight" on loop for a fortnight. I hope those brave 20 souls who signed the petition to have Hook removed are meeting as we speak to get this movement off the ground, preferably in a free-thinking, modern, progressive place like a GAA clubhouse or a church.

I assume Dil will boycott her show again until Bobby is removed permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,137 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I assume Dil will boycott her show again until Bobby is removed permanently?

Speaking of, she wasn't in the chair last night again. Is she taking an "either he goes or I go" stance re you know who. I think I know the answer NT management would give to that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Speaking of, she wasn't in the chair last night again. Is she taking an "either he goes or I go" stance re you know who. I think I know the answer NT management would give to that...

Yeah, I noticed that too.. I wonder is she on contract or full time staffer. Having her stand down of her own volition might be a perfect solution for NT. The show is terrible, she is just toxic towards Irish people, and the listenership reflects that. And it would have been impossible to fire her as she is part of about 100 different minority groups.

NT could just say "I'm sorry, you let us down so we had to get somebody else to fill in."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Terrible presenter

Its ironic the less people listen to her the more aggressive she will lokely become

I've only caught bits of Newstalk today, but this is the second plan your own funeral bit.

Have I missed some other news that we're all dying soon or something?

I mistakenly responded to a post about Sarah McInerney, which I thought referred to Dill Wickremesingh. Neverthless, regarding the recent discussion of Dill...

She's someone who represents the antithesis of the right-wing's migrant narrative; a hard worker, who was once homeless on the streets, who has pulled herself up by her own bootstraps to national fame and, presumably, a comfortable life, well deserved.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with her opinion, or tuning out of her show, as I often do. But come on. She is not 'aggressive'. And if anything, on a personal level, it's hard to understand the negativity towards her, given that her personal ambition and personal success are surely what we wish for every migrant who once found themselves penniless in Europe?

You can dislike her opinions all you want. But it's interesting, or at least worthy of note, that she contradicts every narrative we have about migrants: she is clearly hard-working, ambitious, peace loving, empathetic, and an egalitarian. She can be sanctimonious, but so can lots of us. I may not agree with her on everything, but I wish there were a lot more of her type on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Think they were talking about Sarah McInerney, ATNM.

whoops. My mistake. Thanks, I'll edit that.

Pat Kenny is about to interview Paul Williams on TV3. Next up is the Ivan Yates (& Matt Cooper) show.

If they showed a repeat of Crossfire after that, they'd literally have a clean sweep of NT presenters today.

Except Dr Kelly. But Celebrity Operation Common Sense is on RTE. Is she still on that?

Meanwhile, Kilbane, McIntyre and I think Nathan (and possibly even another one of the OTB lads) was on the TV3 CL coverage last night.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is about to interview Paul Williams on TV3. Next up is the Ivan Yates (& Matt Cooper) show.

If they showed a repeat of Crossfire after that, they'd literally have a clean sweep of NT presenters today.

Except Dr Kelly. But Celebrity Operation Common Sense is on RTE. Is she still on that?

Meanwhile, Kilbane, McIntyre and I think Nathan (and possibly even another one of the OTB lads) was on the TV3 CL coverage last night.

Just saying.

If only RTE was as good at attracting talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a very small country and an even smaller Dublin media pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a very small country and an even smaller Dublin media pool.

So why has the talent gone to Newstalk rather than a cushy job for life in RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I mistakenly responded to a post about Sarah McInerney, which I thought referred to Dill Wickremesingh. Neverthless, regarding the recent discussion of Dill...

She's someone who represents the antithesis of the right-wing's migrant narrative; a hard worker, who was once homeless on the streets, who has pulled herself up by her own bootstraps to national fame and, presumably, a comfortable life, well deserved.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with her opinion, or tuning out of her show, as I often do. But come on. She is not 'aggressive'. And if anything, on a personal level, it's hard to understand the negativity towards her, given that her personal ambition and personal success are surely what we wish for every migrant who once found themselves penniless in Europe?

You can dislike her opinions all you want. But it's interesting, or at least worthy of note, that she contradicts every narrative we have about migrants: she is clearly hard-working, ambitious, peace loving, empathetic, and an egalitarian. She can be sanctimonious, but so can lots of us. I may not agree with her on everything, but I wish there were a lot more of her type on this island.

She would never be aggressive on her show, because she has no need to be. she only interviews people who agree with her, and if she's got a bone to pick with someone, she'll do it on her own, as she did the last time i remember paying attention to the show. she was in a debate on some filler program on TV3 where it sounded like she didn't have it all her own way, so she used her own show to get back at whoever she was debating.

the subject matter on the program used to be about what we as a country are doing to make minorities feel at home. once, i tuned in when she wasn't presenting and there were interviews with immigrants who had taken up learning irish, playing hurling etc. was kinda heartwarming to hear another side to the immigrant story without being made feel guilty for something i didn't do.

She would never be aggressive on her show, because she has no need to be. she only interviews people who agree with her, and if she's got a bone to pick with someone, she'll do it on her own
    Yep, no argument there at all.

My biggest problem with GV is that it's an echo chamber, despite my being in agreement with Dill Wickremasinghe 90%+ of the time.

It gets the Gold Standard Award in terms of confirmation bias.

There are many radio presenter's whose politics I'm inclined to dislike, who manage to do a very good job of airing both sides of a debate. Pat Kenny and George Hook spring to mind.

In Dill Wickremasinghe's case, I suppose she might argue that what she sees as 'human rights' are not really up for debate. Certainly, that was a point made quite eloquently by many people in the wake of the Same Sex Marriage referendum.

Even right-wing philosophers, such as Ludwig von Mises, have written extensively about this 'tyranny of the majority', when it comes to equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

If communicorp put newstalk up for sale who will buy it I wonder? Virgin media?

Joe Duffy. wrote: »
    If communicorp put newstalk up for sale who will buy it I wonder?
    aa1b7aa2333df79e33429823efdf3308.png

Hey, I'm Mystic Meg!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I immediately thought of your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I do have to wonder where the public draws the line with Newstalk.

This banning of Irish Times journalists is the exactly wrong response to Fintan O'Tooles article. Its the opposite of what they should be doing.

The same day they do this - yesterday I was listening to Ivan Yates; who being honest I really dont like but the radio was on the station when i turned it on - and he opens up with

"well ..... the way things are these days, you can pick any week of the year and it will be the national week for some thing. This week its National Breastfeeding Week". He then proceeds to lead with a contributor who outlines in great detail why she is against breastfeeding and its not for her.

(I) He couldnt have done a better job to show that he had zero interest in the topic.

(II) This sort of crap, so soon after the George Hook debacle, shows that basically for me this is a closed minded organisation that will not acknowledge it has serious flaws in gender balance - as rightly highlighted by Fintan O'Toole.

(III) To top all that, not only are they doing a clear out of the their female presenters on week day shows; they are also doing a clear our of female presenters on weekend shows.

For me this is just not acceptable. I do love the Tom Dunne show, and the sports show - but I feel I should no longer be listening to this station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Has anyone in Newstalk addressed the irish Times situation? I know they cant comment on internal events but its a big news story. According to Paul Howard who was turned away for an interview, lots of the staff are embarrassed about the situation

http://www.thejournal.ie/ross-o-carroll-kelly-banned-from-radio-newstalk-3633144-Oct2017/

I imagine Matt Cooper will say something. He is the only one who covers Denis O Brien situations on the 2 stations

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Has anyone in Newstalk addressed the irish Times situation?
    I haven't been listening, but the last bit of Newstalk I caught was Ivan Yates interviewing Paul Howard (aka R'OCK, who writes for The Irish Times) yesterday evening. Howard joked that he'd be the last columnist with The Irish Times to be interviewed on Newstalk. Yates laughed, a little abashedly, and moved on.

According to Damian Cullen of The Irish Times, one of the Newstalk presenters had been privately laughing at the stupidity of the management's decision.

I don't think any of them have publicly condemned it, which says a lot about the concentration of ownership of the Irish media that many of us feel is an unhealthy situation.

• Advertisement

"On @NewstalkFM last night, Ivan Yates asked me about the importance of freedom of expression in this hyper-sensitive media age… This morning I was turned away from a pre-booked interview on @spin1038 because I write for the same newspaper as @fotoole (Fintan O’Toole)."

Jeaysus.

I've lost the ability to know reason from insanity these days.

Nothing's gonna make Fintan O'Toole realise he was "wrong" like ruining Wednesday Night Rugby.

What the hell is up with the world?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement