Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Did I say extremist? I said extreme. Big difference.

I don't accept your question. Ask how I would feel about someone removing her hat and / or scarf which is comparable.

Don't distort by using the emotive phrase 'ripping her clothes off' which as all sorts of incomparable connotations e.g. sexual assualt.
    A scarf or hat is not comparable, it wouldn't make it right you can pull them off easily without causing physical distress. Why don't you want to answer how you would feel about your own mother having clothes ripped off her in public?

And what exactly did you mean by someone having extreme religious beliefs, if not that they would be a religious extremist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Guess next time someones house is getting broken into.they aught to tell the operator they're Muslim so they send the swat team and news helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

RayM wrote: »
    It was a simple question. But if you don't want to answer it, that's grand.

No one had their shirt pulled off.

Who had their clothing ripped off ?

The woman this thread is about.

Now how would you feel about your mother having clothing ripped off her in public by strangers? I've asked maybe 10 times by now and not one of you have managed to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I said in a previous post it's a sh1tty thing to do, no question. But it's not something that hasn't happened to most of us in a public school or in a nightclub.
    It's a horrible thing to do to a complete stranger, it's wrong to intimidate a lone woman but, is it worthy of the BBC reporting it as a serious assault? Absolutely not. There's plenty worse assaults happening to Muslim ladies, if they wanted to focus on her religion.

It probably doesn't need reporting, although attacks that are -based- on something the victim is rather than just being random - targeted attacks - do tend to make reports more than random attacks. It means that others who share whatever characteristic triggered the poor, sweet assholes that cannot help but attack people like this are in danger. That's why these get attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Who had their clothing ripped off ?

Shocking that people don't seem to read the article there supposedly upset about

Billy86 wrote: »
    A scarf or hat is not comparable, it wouldn't make it right you can pull them off easily without causing physical distress. Why don't you want to answer how you would feel about your own mother having clothes ripped off her in public?

And what exactly did you mean by someone having extreme religious beliefs, if not that they would be a religious extremist?

Would you pull the white cloths off a KKK member ? I would wager one would think it's fine.

Samaris wrote: »
    It probably doesn't need reporting, although attacks that are -based- on something the victim is rather than just being random - targeted attacks - do tend to make reports more than random attacks. It means that others who share whatever characteristic triggered the poor, sweet assholes that cannot help but attack people like this are in danger. That's why these get attention.
    It likely also got attention because of all the racist, bigoted and xenophobic attacks going on in the UK in recent months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

My granny used to wear a headscarf type thing,if it was pulled of in the street it wouldn't be reported as an assault.
    Not a nice thing to happen but it's not the end of the world.

Would you pull the white cloths off a KKK member ? I would wager one would think it's fine.
    Is your mother in the KKK, or are you saying this woman is a member of ISIS?

How would you feel about your mother having clothing ripped off her in public by strangers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If a couple of mouthbreathers pulled a scarf off some old lady, it'd be considered assault

Laws don't change just because of your precious feelings

The woman this thread is about.

Now how would you feel about your mother having clothing ripped off her in public by strangers? I've asked maybe 10 times by now and not one of you have managed to answer.

Clothing is plural unless you state a Piece. So again no one had their clothing ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Samaris wrote:
    Wait, so it's "more privilege" for a Muslim woman to have the sheer nerve to expect to be able to walk down the street without being accosted by two young morons and her clothing pulled away from her?

To her it's more than just clothing or a scarf to her. It's a religious thing afaik. They have this thing where only their husbands see the full beauty of their hair. In my opinion it is a way of keeping women in their place. But I do know it's very important to these women. Id imagine to this lady pulling her headscarf off could be as shameful as pulling her pants down in public.
    The reason it made the news is it is a religious attack. A deliberate attack on her religious beliefs and a deliberate attempt to shame her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I think it would probably be a waste of time trying to phrase the question in such a way that you won't either deflect it or find some pedantic get-out-clause. That's fine though. Your failure to answer it speaks volumes. :)

Clothing is plural unless you state a Piece. So again no one had their clothing ripped off.

...Semantics. The last hidey-hole of someone who really knows that there is no sand beneath their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

"Det Con Ben Cousin said: "This was a shocking attack in broad daylight in the middle of a busy street."

If Detective Constable Cousin's finds that shocking hate to see what happens when he comes across a truly shocking attack

Is your mother in the KKK, or are you saying this woman is a member of ISIS?

How would you feel about your mother having clothing ripped off her in public by strangers?

You brought up the KKK...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Shocked at the number of people who seem to think it's ok to manhandle a stranger in the street.

Be they black, white, green with pink dots. No matter what they are wearing.

Irrespective of what's happening in the world, this is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

If a couple of mouthbreathers pulled a scarf off some old lady, it'd be considered assault

Laws don't change just because of your precious feelings

But it wouldn't be news

Why don't you want to answer how you would feel if you mother had for example, her handbag or coat ripped off her in public by strangers?

Because you wouldn't be happy about it. But because this woman is Muslim, you really do seem quite chuffed about the whole thing. Which was to be expected, coming from you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

You haven't shown how a scarf and / or hat is not comparable here. See my previous answers, you seem incapable or reading them.

A woman wearing a hijab in a western secular country is not standard it is by choice, a choice which shows the person going above and beyond the bare minimum of being a practicing Muslim, so extreme.

Okay, darkpagandeath - how would you feel, as a person who presumably has a mother; just imagine you do if this does not apply - with me so far? Your presumed mother is walking down the street when two young thugs attack her and pull off her shirt. Shirts, in our culture, cover parts that women don't show in public, the breasts mostly in this case, so it is a comparable piece of clothing to the hijab for this woman.

Have I covered all the loopholes? Is there anything that can be misunderstood?

...Semantics. The last hidey-hole of someone who really knows that there is no sand beneath their feet.

Not semantics at all, I was not the one trying to paint a different picture. What's your opinion on that item of clothing being used to subjugate women and treat them as property. Bear in mind it's not in the book they practice from.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

gitzy16v wrote: »
    But it wouldn't be news

And if it was you wouldn't have people dismiss or defend it either, but here we are!

I'm not a member of the KKK good job... Jesus.
    Where did I bring up the KKK exactly?

I can see you bringing them up here, in response to another poster...
    I'm not a member of the KKK good job... Jesus.

Now where did I bring them up?

Okay, darkpagandeath - how would you feel, as a person who presumably has a mother; just imagine you do if this does not apply - with me so far? Your presumed mother is walking down the street when two young thugs attack her and pull off her shirt. Shirts, in our culture, cover parts that women don't show in public, the breasts mostly in this case, so it is a comparable piece of clothing to the hijab for this woman.

Oh of course there is, you should know who you're dealing with here.

Can't wait for him to show where I brought up the KKK...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

This is in no way comparable. Ridiculous. Are you really trying to say exposing breasts is comparable to exposing a face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I made a thread about this time two years ago, incase anyone things I'm strawmanning for the sake of it, about my brother being assaulted and why. As it happens, he was out on a night out with his friend. His friend is Muslim. They were coming home when they started on my brothers friend. My brother stood in, and was stabbed with a broken bottle, knocked to the ground and kicked unconscious. He was moved from one hospital to another with a serious head injury. The gardai didn't even arrest the scumbags at the scene.

It made no news headlines, infact we were hard pressed to have the guards investigate it at all. So I know all too well about people being picked on for what they are, and I stand by what I said. There's much worse happening out there. Actual assault.

Infact, look at the contrast here, don't dare belittle the victims experience but if you pop over to the kardashian thread, it's fine to rip her to shreds, after she had a gun to her head because she deserves everything that happens to her right?

Not semantics at all, I was not the one trying to paint a different picture. What's your opinion on that item of clothing being used to subjugate women and treat them as property. Bear in mind it's not in the book they practice from.

You going to answer the question, or are you honestly going to argue that wronging this woman to correct a wrong you feel is being done to her (since while the hijab is used to subjugate women IMO as well, but I cannot deny women the right to wear one if they want), makes it all right?

I mean, are you actually, honestly, on the side of the two thugs here? I don't really think you are, since you are desperately grasping at any straw that means you don't have to answer Billy's question. I don't think you're actually incapable of understanding it, so I have to assume it is deliberate.

• Advertisement

No it is not. It's a tool of oppression used to subjugate women and in that particular culture not wearing it is met with verbal violence at a minimum and extreme attacks more lightly. Women in the west chose to wear it. Try choosing to wear it where the Religion is enforced.

Advertisement