Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

wes wrote: »
    So you

Yes I quoted you .

tools in an online argument (wouldn't call it an argument ) really more one mans rant against an non issue been made out to be an horrific attack

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes I quoted you .

tools in an online argument (wouldn't call it an argument ) really more one mans rant against an non issue been made out to be an horrific attack

You used the term "shocking":
    A -it wasn't an attack or shocking Assault

Above emphasis is mine. The article did describe it as "shocking", and I asked a simple question, as to why you took issue with this? Care to explain?

I see no mention of the word "horrific" in the linked article, and I didn't use that term either. Who is calling this attack "horrific"? You seem to be changing the goal posts all of a sudden. Why is that?

topper75 wrote: »
    When you are calm again, consider the poverty of the original attempt at analogy: British natives have handbags. They are not analogous to a head covering that seeks to make a statement of being separate from the surrounding society. I wouldn't defend an Irish person walking around with a balaclava in a UK town if they had it pulled off their head.

Actually its a statement of adherence to the word of god as these Women believe it to be. No different than a Nun for example, who wear similar head coverings.

Comparison to a balaclava is deliberately chosen to associate the Woman who was assaulted with violence and an imho a transparent attempt to justify the attack. Its pretty sickening the level of victim blaming you are engaged in.

These Women have the right to wear the Hijab and not be assaulted, and any attempts to justify such attacks are simply abhorrent and pathetic in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I had my hat pulled off my head by a gang of scrotes while waiting for a bus. Apart from them taking several hairs out my head while doing it, I also felt fairly shaken that my personal space was so invaded by complete strangers.

Lads might think it's funny, but it's extremely unnerving when you're surrounded by people bigger than you who think they have a right to lay their hands on you.

You went to the Garda yes ?

Actually its a statement of adherence to the word of god as these Women believe it to be. No different than a Nun for example, who wear similar head coverings.

Comparison to a balaclava is deliberately chosen to associate the Woman who was assaulted with violence and an imho a transparent attempt to justify the attack. Its pretty sickening the level of victim blaming you are engaged in.

These Women have the right to wear the Hijab and not be assaulted, and any attempts to justify such attacks are simply abhorrent and pathetic in the extreme.

No it's not nowhere in the book says they have to wear any of the stuff the males in the pointy hats came up with. There book is the literal word of god and cannot be interpreted by man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Some utterly disgraceful and wilfully ignorant posts in this thread by no surprise there to be honest. Just to dispel a few of the common themes being made here:

'It's no worse than what happened me at school'

Unless you were specifically targeted by random bigots due to your ethnic and religious orientation and left feeling violated and terrified then your analogy isn't correct in the slightest. You'd be better off asking why you feel the need to trivialise what happened to this young woman.

'It wasn't an attack. She wasn't hurt'

The woman in question is in the local paper today and is afraid to leave the house as she fears she'll suffer something more serious in future. There doesn't have to be physical violence to be an attack. Nobody was physically hurt when someone wrote "****" in big letters on the West Indian Culture Centre near me or when a friend of my missus had pictures of chimpanzees posted in her letterbox or when a colleague of mine was told "f*ck off back to Africa" while at work. However they were attacks nonetheless and usually this sort of stuff escalates into physical violence and people getting burned out. That has happened in this country. Likewise it all adds to a culture where people are afraid, victimised and nervous as to what comes next. That's a really sh*tty thing for the people involved.

'My friend was beaten up in town it wasn't in the news'

The reason this gets so much publicity is because there has been a huge upsurge in xenophobic behaviour and many minorities are finding this scary and increasingly on the receiving end of this and much worse. A Polish man was recently kicked to death by a xenophobic gang in Harlow in Essex; that was also in the news. I wouldn't be whinging that it got more coverage than other murders for f*ck's sake. Increasing social tensions are entirely newsworthy and that's why this attack got in the news.

'What about Yemen'

As if any of the people in question here moaning give two sh*tes about Yemen. They're the type who'd be b*tching if any Yemeni refugees came to Ireland anyway despite their professed concern on this site. Honestly. Next time anyone raises any concern about anything at all just shout "what about Yemen/Syria/Congo" at them.

All in all a depressing but all too predictable lack of compassion and understanding on this thread. Shame.

No it's not nowhere in the book says they have to wear any of the stuff the males in the pointy hats came up with. There book is the literal word of god and cannot be interpreted by man.

I never said it was written anywhere. How, these Women comes to there conclusions of what they decide to wear, is simply not any of my damn business. BTW, I said it is what these Women believe, and its not my or anyone else business what they believe, as long as they aren't breaking any laws. The people breaking laws are the ones who assault such Women.

The rather odd thing is that reporting on this, or calling it "shocking" seems to really annoy some people. Go figure.

FTA69 wrote: »

'What about Yemen

As if any of the people in question here moaning give two sh*tes about Yemen. They're the type who'd be b*tching if any Yemeni refugees came to Ireland anyway despite their professed concern on this site.

Been this is aimed at me ,

You couldn't be more wrong but hey

Been this is aimed at me ,

You couldn't be more wrong but hey

Yemen and the rest of it has nothing to do with what happened to this young woman or xenophobia in Britain in general. In fact the only connection between Britain and Yemen may well be the fact that the Saudis are using British armaments and political support to terrorise people in Yemen but that's a different argument entirely.

People are only bringing up Syria and Yemen and the rest of it because they're trying to distract from the fact this person was attacked in public and they don't want to discuss the reasons why.

People are only bringing up Syria and Yemen and the rest of it because they're trying to distract from the fact this person was attacked in public and they don't want to discuss the reasons why.

Again your wrong and many others .

There was no reason for this incident other than a foreigner telling her she looked prettier without it .

Doesn't seen to be racial ,islamopobic , xenophobia either ,

Other than various claims about the so called attack there has no reason for it yet ,

Two stupid lads most likely

• Advertisement

Yemen and the rest of it has nothing to do with what happened to this young woman or xenophobia in Britain in general. In fact the only connection between Britain and Yemen may well be the fact that the Saudis are using British armaments and political support to terrorise people in Yemen but that's a different argument entirely.

Oh have the people been caught ?

I'm sure the lads who ran up to a conspicuously Muslim woman and ripped the scarf off her head were simply genuinely curious as to the colour of her hair. After all it was only a good natured prank in all likelihood. Never mind the fact the woman in question is terrified and afraid to leave her house. Sure isn't that her own overreaction anyway. What's her problem?

Jesus the pair of you are pathetic individuals. Doing ideological contortions to downplay a young woman getting victimised by two yobs. As I said above, a while back the West Indian centre in Turnpike Lane was daubed with "****", but I'm sure that was just some young lads blowing off steam. Sure didn't we all do a bit of the auld graffiti as kids.

I'm sure the lads who ran up to a conspicuously Muslim woman and ripped the scarf off her head were simply genuinely curious as to the colour of her hair. After all it was only a good natured prank in all likelihood. Never mind the fact the woman in question is terrified and afraid to leave her house. Sure isn't that her own overreaction anyway. What's her problem?

Jesus the pair of you are pathetic individuals. Doing ideological contortions to downplay a young woman getting victimised by two yobs. As I said above, a while back the West Indian centre in Turnpike Lane was daubed with "****", but I'm sure that was just some young lads blowing off steam. Sure didn't we all do a bit of the auld graffiti as kids.

Have you informed the UK police with your evidence for the motivation of the alleged assault ? Writing “****” on a wall is fairly obviously racist.

Have you informed the UK police with your evidence for the motivation of the alleged assault ?

that is the difference between one person's or another opinion and the facts .
    They have one but not the other

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If you lay a hand on anyone in a malicious manner, it could be defined assault, imo. It was on the very mild end of the scale and I don't think it warrants news coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pim Pictus wrote: »
    You'd be distressed if two lads nicked the hat off your head as well. It's not a normal thing to do to a stranger.

Happens quite often in an Irish pub/club with drunken imbeciles, wear anything slightly out of the ordinary and you'll have some comedian whipping your hat and trying it on.

The irony of the person complaining about this being a news story, is that we have a thread stretching over several pages, due to them complaining about it. A good example of the Streisand effect.

Also, rather amusing contortions about how it isn't an attack or an assault and the people taking exception to the word shocking. Tells us a lot about boards far right contingent imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

BBC report on someone getting their hijab pulled but won't report on this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3831991/Wheelchair-bound-woman-gang-raped-six-migrants-Swedish-asylum-centre-asking-use-toilet.html

And daily mail do it the other way around.

News sites are increasingly reporting a with a bias agenda from both sides, although I ask you which of the two stories are more violent and more 'newsworthy' ?
    I've no problem with this being news, as it's not necessarily the isolated event but a larger reflection of tension across Europe right now. However I take issue that other stories are ignored completely because they don't want to offend anyone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3831991/Wheelchair-bound-woman-gang-raped-six-migrants-Swedish-asylum-centre-asking-use-toilet.html

News sites are increasingly reporting a with a bias agenda from both sides, although I ask you which of the two stories are more violent and more 'newsworthy' ?
    I've no problem with this being news, as it's not necessarily the isolated event but a larger reflection of tension across Europe right now. However I take issue that other stories are ignored completely because they don't want to offend anyone.

Good points. It says that horrible attack happened at an asylum centre. Will the rapists asylum claim be denied? Will they be deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

One is a sensationalist populist publication whilst Auntie Beeb is an ultra pc broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Facebook is worse. You click like on a story where trump is shouting about Hillary and suddenly you'll never see a story about hillary shouting about Trump. (and the reverse is true).

Considering 30-40% of the US gets its news from social media it just generates bias.

YouTube is a little bit better. Considering I tend to watch stuff like the daily show I still get the occasional right wing video in my suggested videos. Not many but a few. It's still far more than facebook offers.

One is a sensationalist populist publication whilst Auntie Beeb is an ultra pc broadcaster.

One is someone having their hijab pulled down, the other is a disabled woman been gang raped.

Reporting on which would you says is sensationalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well, it could be said that the BBC is a public service broadcaster in the UK. This story is a little bit out of it's remit. Since the hijab story occurred in the UK it is something they might report on. The story in the mail is a sexual assault that occurred in another country.

I would say that if you draw comparisons then you would need to compare like with like. So compare the a left wing paper with a right wing paper.

I haven't actually seen that story anywhere so you'd still be right. If it was a sexual assault in India it probably would have been in the news in both. But it probably would have been front page news in both papers.

Still I think having people decide what is news worthy is probably better than the facebook method where a computer decides.

I have to admit though, I can't stand the mail. I know every paper needs clicks and so is to some extent generating "Clickbait", that is, generating articles that will be read. But the mail has jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

I was nearly garroted by the hood on my duffel coat as a kid being reefed off me on the way home from school.
    Happens all the time....to an awful lot of people.
    Does it make it ok? No
    Does it make it assault? Fukc no

I was nearly garroted by the hood on my duffel coat as a kid being reefed off me on the way home from school.
    Does it make it ok? No

It is assault:
    assault
    əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
    verb
    verb: assault; 3rd person present: assaults; past tense: assaulted; past participle: assaulted; gerund or present participle: assaulting

make a physical attack on.
    "he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer"

A physical attack, which is what happened. Again, what possible reason could anyone have to say its not an assault? Sorry, but people are tieing themselves in knots for no good reason.

Does it make it ok? No

Were you targeted by random strangers because of your ethnic and religious background in a context of an upsurge in street xenophobia? Did the people who pulled your coat off do it in a context where they knew they'd cause maximum offence to your sensibilities and heritage?

Because if the above wasn't the case then your analogy is rubbish to put it lightly.

It is assault:

A physical attack, which is what happened. Again, what possible reason could anyone have to say its not an assault? Sorry, but people are tieing themselves in knots for no good reason.

I don't often agree with Wes, but it's an assault, and a cowardly one at that.

Is there really an upsurge of xenophobia or is it being highlighted more, post brexit..

• Advertisement

Is there really an upsurge of xenophobia or is it being highlighted more, post brexit..

There's no more xenophobia now than before; but what Brexit did was embolden the bigots into being more visible, since they assume that because they voted Brexit because of Johnny Foreigner, everyone voted Brexit for the same reason.

And a substantial number did, but I think a greater number did out of what they felt were legit concerns about sovereignty, autonomy and out-of-control immigration - or at least the perception of it. Skewed perception was responsible for a great deal of the vote imo.

There are more overt acts of racism and xenophobia, and the press is rightly highlighting it. Hopefully holding up that mirror will do something towards changing it, but I suspect it won't be for quite a while yet.

Advertisement