Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What is a Muzzie? Not a term I have previously encountered.

They tend to make up words like Islamophobia...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

No doubt they shouldn't have pulled it off her, but is it a serious enough assault to be reported all over the UK and Ireland? For example, in 2014 my brother was assaulted and moved to Beaumont hospital with a fractured skull and it didn't make the local paper.

How many of us went to secondary school where underwear was stretched nearly over your head? Or your bra constantly being snapped? People are scum, but there's much worse happening out there that's not making the papers. Real assault.

And yet, look at this thread. Someone was interested enough in it to start a thread on it, albeit in a dismissive manner. Personally, I'm not sure it needs one, but whatever floats various boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What are they gonna do, pull a hijab off a man?

Stop trying to be smart, it does not become you.

They should not be pulling anything off anyone.

If a trans sexual woman was walking up the street woukd it be ok to pull the dress off her. No it bloody well would not.

Don't some Muslim men wear robes? They knees well enough to target a woman, not a man.

You know well why they assaulted a woman, gutless cowards a 6ft guy would have planted them. And proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What is a Muzzie? Not a term I have previously encountered.

Slur for Muslim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why shouldn't ' these muslims' be wearing a hijab?
    Whats it got to do with you.
    If I want to walk down the street wearing a cape like batman, is that any of your business? Should anyone be allowed pull it off me?

The Joker might be or the Scarecrow guy?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Slur for Muslim.

What's a Muslim ? You mean a member or a religion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Why don't ye self appointed Islam defenders, worry instead about the shocking/inhuman treatment of millons of women in the Middle East and North Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ha. Note to self don't knock pennys hat off her head she'll be triggered. And have me up on assault charges.

A hat is an accessory, cop on. A hijab is an article of clothing that they 'have' to wear.

I dislike Islam and I hate its rules, but it's not the same as knocking my beanie off my head.

What's a Muslim ? You mean a member or a religion ?
    How would you feel if your mother, sister, daughter or wife who had a handbag or coat pulled off them on the street by strangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Why don't ye self appointed Islam defenders, worry instead about the shocking/inhuman treatment of millons of women in the Middle East and North Africa.

You can be sure that point won't be addressed here.

• Advertisement

Look at the first post, I doubt he's a "self-appointed Islam defender".

And also, it's a bit nuts that, when confronted by an attack on a Muslim woman close to home, you're suddenly -really concerned- about women in North Africa. I'm curious as to how often you talk about it - is it only when you're downplaying anything upsetting happening to one in the UK or Ireland?

A hat is an accessory, cop on. A hijab is an article of clothing that they 'have' to wear.

I dislike Islam and I hate its rules, but it's not the same as knocking my beanie off my head.

No they do not.

You can be sure that point won't be addressed here.

Hi, I already asked you but you seem reluctant to answer. What would your reaction be to some stranger pulling clothes off of your mother on the street?

No doubt they shouldn't have pulled it off her, but is it a serious enough assault to be reported all over the UK and Ireland? For example, in 2014 my brother was assaulted and moved to Beaumont hospital with a fractured skull and it didn't make the local paper.

How many of us went to secondary school where underwear was stretched nearly over your head? Or your bra constantly being snapped? People are scum, but there's much worse happening out there that's not making the papers. Real assault.

Agree with that 100%. Yes, it's assault, but let's face it, it's not a serious assault. If someone pulled her top off or something, maybe, but nothing bar her head, face, neck and hair were exposed.

Not pleasant, but not report-worthy either.

No they do not.

Hence the inverted commas in the post you quoted...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Agree with that 100%. Yes, it's assault, but let's face it, it's not a serious assault. If someone pulled her top off or something, maybe, but nothing bar her head, face, neck and hair were exposed.

It's being reported because "Islamophobia" is the new clickbait.

How would you feel if your mother, sister, daughter or wife who had a handbag or coat pulled off them on the street by strangers?

These are everyday occurrences that don't make headline news.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Jan Laco wrote: »
    (...) who shouldn't be wearing hijab here in the first place.
    ... so in your eyes the men who did that to her were just enforcing the law then ? Will you tell us next they should get a medal for their noble deeds ?

Not pleasant, and, to our eyes, not report-worthy. But our culture means that ripping the blouse off someone would be considered particularly horrible and invasive. In her culture, ripping her headgear off is. In terms of upset and violation caused, she does feel much the same as you might if your top was pulled off.

And as another note on the "why aren't you talking about the terrible things happening elsewhere", petty bullying being normalised is the sort of thing that leads on to worse things. Don't accept the petty bullying just because no-one's dead. Letting this **** be considered acceptable is what leads on to other harassment becoming acceptable. Like petrol-bombing shops, which has happened several times now to Muslims in the UK.

These are everyday occurrences that don't make headline news.

Doesn't answer my question. Some people here seem absolutely grand with Muslim women having articles of clothing torn off them by strangers on the street... yet none of them seem to want to answer how they would feel about their own mothers or daughters having their clothes ripped off them by strangers in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

First kim k now this ..

Imagine how upset the people in Aleppo feel

How would you feel if your mother, sister, daughter or wife was stoned to death for committing adultery?

Doesn't answer my question. Some people here seem absolutely grand with Muslim women having articles of clothing torn off them by strangers on the street... yet none of them seem to want to answer how they would feel about their own mothers or daughters having their clothes ripped off them by strangers in public.

It is remarkable how they keep making the same petty snipes without deigning to actually enter the conversation. I guess defending ones bullying is harder than actually contributing to it.

How would you feel if your mother, sister, daughter or wife was stoned to death for committing adultery?

Doesn't answer my question, how would you feel if you mother had her clothes ripped off her in the street? Would you be grand with it?

Samaris wrote: »
    It is remarkable how they keep making the same petty snipes without deigning to actually enter the conversation. I guess defending ones bullying is harder than actually contributing to it.
    Nah, the world just has no short supply of bigots. After Hours included. They are what they are and they're on full display here, yet again.

Just wait until the horde arrives in a bit; with the alt_right demi god that is Donald Trump making a prick of himself on TV later tonight, there's bound to be no shortage in here for a Sunday.

Jan Laco wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37600532

IMO it's more privilege for these muslims, who shouldn't be wearing hijab here in the first place.

You haven't explained why they shouldn't be wearing a hijab?
    And how is it privilege for Muslims? No one should have their clothes or any of their person interfered with by strangers on the street.

Look at the first post, I doubt he's a "self-appointed Islam defender".

And also, it's a bit nuts that, when confronted by an attack on a Muslim woman close to home, you're suddenly -really concerned- about women in North Africa. I'm curious as to how often you talk about it - is it only when you're downplaying anything upsetting happening to one in the UK or Ireland?

I wasn't talking about the OP. Neither was I implying that it was me, who should be worrying about women in the ME/NA.

To put in context a comparable item would be a scarf and / or hat, right?

It is NOT same as 'having their clothes ripped off them' as this implies having some or all their clothes removed to the point of them being left partially naked or exposed. Which is obviously not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

And it is just straight up bullying. Just because something else is happening somewhere else does it not make it ok for two bozos to assault that particular lady. Someone coming up behind you like that would give you an awful fright.

Note how they "made off" after doing it.

Cowardly weasels.

• Advertisement

Not pleasant, and, to our eyes, not report-worthy. But our culture means that ripping the blouse off someone would be considered particularly horrible and invasive. In her culture, ripping her headgear off is. In terms of upset and violation caused, she does feel much the same as you might if your top was pulled off.

And as another note on the "why aren't you talking about the terrible things happening elsewhere", petty bullying being normalised is the sort of thing that leads on to worse things. Don't accept the petty bullying just because no-one's dead. Letting this **** be considered acceptable is what leads on to other harassment becoming acceptable. Like petrol-bombing shops, which has happened several times now to Muslims in the UK.

In British culture I don't think removing a hat is a noteworthy issue. What do you mean by her culture ?

Advertisement