Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

In British culture I don't think removing a hat is a noteworthy issue. What do you mean by her culture ?

pretending to be thick doesnt suit you.

To put in context a comparable item would be a scarf and / or hat, right?

It is NOT same as 'having their clothes ripped off them' as this implies having some or all their clothes removed to the point of them being left partially naked or exposed. Which is obviously not comparable.

If some stranger took my scarf or hat off me on the street, they would be very sorry.
    No one has the right to interfere with someone else, especially a stranger on the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

A hijab is also expression of a religious belief. Everyone knows that. Even those two men. Even you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Jan Laco wrote: »
    IMO it's more privilege for these muslims, who shouldn't be wearing hijab here in the first place.

How is this a privilege for muslims? Are you not equally entitled to wear a hijab if you choose to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

PucaMama wrote: »
    pretending to be thick doesnt suit you.

In my culture being called think is an extreme insult...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

Haithabu wrote: »
    A hijab is also expression of a religious belief. Everyone knows that. Even those two men. Even you.

An expression of extreme religious belief?

Haithabu wrote: »

No it is not, Nothing in the book that says you have to wear it. The men in the Pointy hats claim it's Religion not the book. It's a tool to oppress women and treat them as property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It is NOT same as 'having their clothes ripped off them' as this implies having some or all their clothes removed to the point of them being left partially naked or exposed. Which is obviously not comparable.

It's an article of clothing, and no - it wraps around the whole head, so it is no more the same as a hat as it is a coat. Forcefully pulling it off someone's head takes a lot more force that flicking a hat off someone's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In British culture I don't think removing a hat is a noteworthy issue. What do you mean by her culture ?

How would you feel if you were walking along the street, minding your own business and two people came along and pulled your hood down? Let's imagine that your hood was culturally important to you (white and pointy, maybe). Would you be okay with them doing that?

bubblypop wrote: »
    If some stranger took my scarf or hat off me on the street, they would be very sorry.
    No one has the right to interfere with someone else, especially a stranger on the street!

Agreed, but would it make headlines?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's an article of clothing, and no - it wraps around the whole head, so it is no more the same as a hat as it is a coat. Forcefully pulling it off someone's head takes a lot more force that flicking a hat off someone's head.

Does a scarf not wrap around the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

bubblypop wrote: »

this is the point, couldnt care less that its a religious item. id lose the plot if someone put their hands on me on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

No, even non-extreme muslim women wear hijabs.

Eh, no.

Look out - terrorist!! https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5f/bb/55/5fbb553ec16a69c9c3152384eeb78349.jpg

:rolleyes:

So how you you feel about your mother having clothes ripped off her in public by strangers? Still waiting on anyone to answer this.

RayM wrote: »
    How would you feel if you were walking along the street, minding your own business and two people came along and pulled your hood down? Let's imagine that your hood was culturally important to you (white and pointy, maybe). Would you be okay with them doing that?

I'm not a member of the KKK good job... Jesus.

Does a scarf not wrap around the head?

No, who do you know that wears a scarf over the top of their head? And how would you feel about your mother having clothes ripped off her in public by strangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd be more interested on actual assaults of Muslim women. Such as being raped regularly by their husbands, or women being stoned to death for being raped and bringing disgrace on their families and honour killings. That's assault worthy of headlines. Why aren't we hearing more on that?

I'm not a member of the KKK good job... Jesus.

Ok then, imagine they pulled your shirt off. Would you be okay with them doing that?

No, who do you know that wears a scarf over the top of their head? And how would you feel about your mother having clothes ripped off her in public by strangers?

Indians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'd be more interested on actual assaults of Muslim women. Such as being raped regularly by their husbands, or women being stoned to death for being raped and bringing disgrace on their families and honour killings. That's assault worthy of headlines. Why aren't we hearing more on that?

Then talk about it. Start a thread. No-one's stopping you. Someone started this thread to defend bullying Muslim women on a small scale. People are looking at this and agreeing with him that small-scale bullying is fine and the victim's fault, then demanding that we worry about large-scale bullying.

Doesn't work like that. I realise you haven't defended what those two cowardly bozos did, but you're not the only one calling for attention to be paid to literally anything but what happened the other day to a woman who had done nothing to her aggressors.

Also, we can all worry about more than one thing.

• Advertisement

Indians.
    Which the same gobsh*tes would likely put down to being an hijab again. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e3/ae/bf/e3aebf65fe43760e9df4fc3e2254c826.jpg

Is your mother Indian?

RayM wrote: »
    Ok then, imagine they pulled your shirt off. Would you be okay with them doing that?

Why are you bringing a shirt into it now ? What next stripped naked ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/elderly-christian-woman-stripped-naked-and-paraded-through-streets-by-mob-a7049926.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Agreed, but would it make headlines?

I'm not disputing the fact why it made headlines.

Part of the reason it made headlines is it just comes ahead of national hate crime week. so they are probably highlighting this type of crap that Muslims have to put up with as they go about their business.

There's no excuses for this. There's no excuses for putting your hands on another person going up the street. ever.

Which the same gobsh*tes would likely put down to being an hijab again. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e3/ae/bf/e3aebf65fe43760e9df4fc3e2254c826.jpg

Is your mother Indian?

That's not what you asked.

Eh, no.

Look out - terrorist

:rolleyes:

So how you you feel about your mother having clothes ripped off her in public by strangers? Still waiting on anyone to answer this.

Did I say extremist? I said extreme. Big difference.

I don't accept your question. Ask how I would feel about someone removing her hat and / or scarf which is comparable.

Don't distort by using the emotive phrase 'ripping her clothes off' which as all sorts of incomparable connotations e.g. sexual assualt.

You really don't want to answer how you would feel if you mother had clothing ripped off her in public by strangers, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I said in a previous post it's a sh1tty thing to do, no question. But it's not something that hasn't happened to most of us in a public school or in a nightclub.
    It's a horrible thing to do to a complete stranger, it's wrong to intimidate a lone woman but, is it worthy of the BBC reporting it as a serious assault? Absolutely not. There's plenty worse assaults happening to Muslim ladies, if they wanted to focus on her religion.

It was a simple question. But if you don't want to answer it, that's grand.

Have you never heard of a head scarf? See my previous answer - ask the question properly and I will answer.

• Advertisement

You really don't want to answer how you would feel if you mother had clothing ripped off her in public by strangers, do you?

Who had their clothing ripped off ?

Advertisement