Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A friend? No. Two lads trying to prove they're tough? Absolutely.

You have no idea could be 2 idiots passing time daring each other to knock the next persons hat off that come along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gitzy16v wrote: »
    No problem,it's indefensible in my eyes,I just feel it's a non story to everyone bar the victim and her family,just like it would be if it was my mother affected.
    I get the feeling people only care because it's a Muslim I'd feel pretty hard done by if my mother suffered the exact same assault at the same time and there was more focus on this incident than my hypothetical incident,because 1 is Muslim and the other is Irish it shouldn't be treated differently.

I'd reckon if it were an old Polish woman (at least I think they wore wraparound headscarves the same as women here used to?) it would probably get mention too, or an African woman in a similar garb - again in the UK. I'm not so sure it's to do with him being Muslim, though it might be, as it is to do with the increase xenophobic and racist incidents in post-Brexit UK.

I do agree though that typically, say if it were in Ireland where we don't really have that scenario right now, it should be treated like-for-like though. I don't think the world should come to a halt to find the culprits in the UK or anything either, but don't really mind it being reported to highlight that the increase in incidents they are having against non white/British/etc minorities is not acceptable.

FWIW I took a double check also and it seems to just be in their London regional section, as opposed to on the BBC.co.uk front page or what have you - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-37600532

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No but it's a stranger in lies the problem. If it happened to me I would not really make much off it.

If they did that to the wrong person they could end up stabbed. fights have broken out for less. Tragedies happen over someone cutting in front of someone else in a car. They should have just minded their own business and let the woman walk by in peace.

If they did that to me, I would not be happy at all and would probably lose my temper. Pair of dickheads

Just who gave them the right to put their grubby mitts on a stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

How many news story's have you heard about people mothers having scarves removed ? It's purely a religious motivated article even though the 2 people made no remarks according to the article.

That's my point I've heard exactly none.
    I agree with you,it's only news because of the religion involved.
    Its a minor assault as it would be if it happened to my mother,not newsworthy imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

Billy86 wrote: »
    Again, your mother or granny (whichever is the appropriate age to be wearing one) is walking down the street in her headscarf - when two fully grown men she has never seen before out of nowhere come over and rip it off her head. How would you feel about this?

Your continued failure to answer this is showing an agenda in itself.

I thought the post you quoted made it clear. If a crime has been committed then the perpetrators should be punished.

I would be concerned for her well being but I would not expect it to make headline news or be sensationalised for an agenda. Crime happens as a result of left leaning policies of automatic sentence remission, suspended sentences and overuse of bail and failure to deal strongly with repeat offenders. So I would be annoyed at the failure of the justice system.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    If they did that to the wrong person they could end up stabbed. fights have broken out for less. Tragedies happen over someone cutting in front of someone else in a car. They should have just minded their own business and let the woman walk by in peace.

If they did that to me, I would not be happy at all and would probably lose my temper. Pair of dickheads

Just who gave them the right to put their grubby mitts on a stranger.

And that would be the 2 idiots problem.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    That's my point I've heard exactly none.
    I agree with you,it's only news because of the religion involved.
    Its a minor assault as it would be if it happened to my mother,not newsworthy imo

They did make reference to national hate crime week which is this week so maybe they are highlighting the type of bull**** Muslim women out and about have to put up with.

The should not have to put up with it.

theres no sensationalising as far as I'm concerned. It should not have happened. I don't care who it happened to.

People should be able to walk up the street wearing what they like without being manhandled.

Why did the two little turds leg it? Because they would have been in trouble and rightly so.

One person put it quite well above-

It was an assault on someone's dignity and personal space.

And the attempts to sexualise by number of posters in this thread?

And that would be the 2 idiots problem.

Absolutely, but my point is there have been numerous situations where something seemingly trivial has resulted in tragedy.

People are best off minding their own business and not interfering with strangers clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

They did make reference to national hate crime week which is this week so maybe they are highlighting the type of bull**** Muslim women out and about have to put up with.

The should not have to put up with it.
    I agree they shouldn't have to put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Its just a douchebag thing to do. I hate Islam as much as most people but why would they do this?

And the attempts to sexualise by number of posters in this thread?

I ve no interest in sexualises anything...as far as I'm concerned two dodos tried to interfere with a persons dignity and rights.

They were trying to belittle the woman.

It's not on, they need a good kick up the arse.

I ve no interest in sexualises anything...as far as I'm concerned two dodos tried to interfere with a persons dignity and rights.

We have no idea of the motivation nothing was said. Click bait has done it's work … Contains Muslim/Islam.

Do you deny the attempt has been made multiple times in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Its just a douchebag thing to do. I hate Islam as much as most people but why would they do this?

Alan snackbar.

We have no idea of the motivation nothing was said. Click bait has done it's work … Contains Muslim/Islam.

Whether it does or not mention Muslim I don't care.

I'd say the same about anyone who put their hands on any person.

It's just scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The whataboutery in this thread is outstanding.

To those who don't think it's newsworthy, you're commenting on it. There's 150 posts in 2 hours on it. It certainly seems to garner interest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

This was a muslim women clearly identifiable as a muslim in the west. Probably millions of times muslims have walked streets in England without attack.

Wonder what would happen if the boot was on the other foot.

Saudi Arabia allows Christians to enter the country as foreign workers for temporary work, but does not allow them to practice their faith openly. Because of that Christians generally only worship within private homes. Items and articles belonging to religions other than Islam are prohibited. If a westerner was walking down the street in Saudi clearly identifiable as a Christian, could that happen millions of times before a cross was knocked off her head?

I'm not defending a few lads knocking off anyones headwear. However remember a massive country like Saudi for example does not even allow Christian churches to be built there...but when muslims come to the west they face no such restrictions.

When Europe is majority muslim, what do you think it will be like?

The whataboutery in this thread is outstanding.

To those who don't think it's newsworthy, you're commenting on it. There's 150 posts in 2 hours on it. It certainly seems to garner interest...

Many of them questioning WHY it is considered newsworthy. Are we not allowed question it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

maryishere wrote: »
    This was a muslim women clearly identifiable as a muslim in the west. Probably millions of times muslims have walked streets in England without attack.

Saudi Arabia allows Christians to enter the country as foreign workers for temporary work, but does not allow them to practice their faith openly. Because of that Christians generally only worship within private homes. Items and articles belonging to religions other than Islam are prohibited. If a westerner was walking down the street in Saudi clearly identifiable as a Christian, could that happen millions of times before a cross was knocked off her head?

I'm not defending a few lads knocking off anyones headwear. However remember a massive country like Saudi for example does not even allow Christian churches to be built there...but when muslims come to the west they face no such restrictions.

Whataboutery whatasurprisery

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Whataboutery whatasurprisery

And the 'what if your mother had her clothes ripper off her' wasn't whataboutery?

maryishere wrote: »

Are you suggesting that we should be more like Saudi?
    Personally I like living in a ( fairly) liberal society.
    So what what they do over there? That's their rule. Thankfully we don't have oppressive rules like theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, because 2 wrongs would not make a right.

What you you think Europe will be like when its majority muslim?
    (say for your grandkids or great grandkids? )

bubblypop wrote: »
    Personally I like living in a ( fairly) liberal society.
    So what what they do over there? That's their rule. Thankfully we don't have oppressive rules like theirs.

We still have the lads in the pointy hats here making sure people wear something not part of the teaching of the particular book. it's a tool of oppression of women and treatment as property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

We still have the lads in the pointy hats here

Bloody wizards, i'm sick of the ****ers at this stage.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Bloody wizards, i'm sick of the ****ers at this stage.

Even Gandalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

This isn't a news site, it's a discussion forum. People come to After Hours to shoot the poop, not to labour upon the profound issues of society. You could open a thread on AH named "Anybody else dismayed by the price of cheese these days?" and it would get dozens of comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There are a lot of people who can't respect other people's beliefs on boards. They seem willing to spend 2hours letting us all know how intolerant they can be. :(

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who can't respect other people's beliefs on boards. They seem willing to spend 2hours letting us all know how intolerant they can be. :(

Yes, lots of people trying to stifle and shutdown discussion and opinions they don't agree with. Seems to have become prevalent in mainstream society recently also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'm absolutely astonished at the attitude of people in downplaying the seriousness of this attack. This wasn't just an attack on the lady's person, it was an attack on her beliefs.

Against her will and without her consent, parts of her body were exposed in public. How many of those downplaying the incident would be happy to have their body exposed involuntarily in public?

I'm not religious in any way, but am genuinely astounded, and pretty disturbed, to see the level of indifference to this attack in this thread.

Advertisement