Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab wearing muslim "attacked" on street

Options

Comments

maryishere wrote: »
    No, because 2 wrongs would not make a right.

What you you think Europe will be like when its majority muslim?
    (say for your grandkids or great grandkids? )

But you're making that old chestnut of an argument, sure we can't do what we want there, we shouldn't let them do their thing here.
    When do you think Europe will have a Muslim majority?
    And why do you think it will?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm absolutely astonished at the attitude of people in downplaying the seriousness of this attack. This wasn't just an attack on the lady's person, it was an attack on her beliefs.

Against her will and without her consent, parts of her body were exposed in public. How many of those downplaying the incident would be happy to have their body exposed involuntarily in public?

I'm not religious in any way, but am genuinely astounded, and pretty disturbed, to see the level of indifference to this attack in this thread.

Parts of her body? You mean her face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

That's not the point.

Her face or hair or whatever is supposed to be covered up according to her beliefs so maybe just let her cover them up and leave her alone to live her life?

Should i be allowed to walk up to a 'western' woman and pull down her top to expose her boobs just because i feel she shouldn't be covering them up?

It doesn't matter!
    If I was wearing a balaclava or had a scarf halfway up my face do you think it's OK for a random stranger to pull it off me?
    I don't care what religion the woman is, im not religious at all, but I won't have someone touch me or pull my clothes.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    That's not the point.

Her face or hair or whatever is supposed to be covered up according to her beliefs so maybe just let her cover them up and leave her alone to live her life?

Should i be allowed to walk up to a 'western' woman and pull down her top to expose her boobs just because i feel she shouldn't be covering them up?

What about whataboutery?

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    It doesn't matter!
    If I was wearing a balaclava or had a scarf halfway up my face do you think it's OK for a random stranger to pull it off me?
    I don't care what religion the woman is, im not religious at all, but I won't have someone touch me or pull my clothes.

No I don't think it is acceptable, but I have issue with the exaggeration - it wasn't her body exposed - it was her face. Let's get the facts straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Yes, her face. She didn't want it exposed in public as is her right. It may seem trivial to me or you, but not to her.

Similarly, plenty of women expose their bodies in public and feel fine about doing so. That dosent transfer on to them the right to expose others in a similar manner

No I don't think it is acceptable, but I have issue with the exaggeration - it wasn't her body exposed - it was her face. Let's get the facts straight.

But it doesn't matter!
    No one should do what those guys did!
    Do you agree on that?

bubblypop wrote: »
    But it doesn't matter!
    No one should do what those guys did!
    Do you agree on that?

Did I not just say it was unacceptable in my last post that you actually just quoted?

What about whataboutery?

Ah, 'whataboutery', the catch all term for people to excuse whatever idiotic viewpoint they want to espouse.

Stop people from using prime examples of the shoe being on the other foot by dismissing it as 'whataboutery'.

Your argument is that you don't have any argument but the other person is wrong because they gave an example that isn't literally what happened in the news story being talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Regardless of the religion or believes of the women involved, the attackers had no right whatsoever to try to pull an article of clothing off her.
    It is a horrible thing to happen to anyone and can understandably cause a lot of distress to the victim.

The fact that this is being reported in the media as a racial attack is neither the victims fault, nor does it in any way reduce the horribleness of the crime.

The attackers are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Regardless of the religion or believes of the women involved, the attackers had no right whatsoever to try to pull an article of clothing off her.
    It is a horrible thing to happen to anyone and can understandably cause a lot of distress to the victim.

The fact that this is being reported in the media as a racial attack is neither the victims fault, nor does it in any way reduce the horribleness of the crime.

The attackers are scum.

This sums up my opinion.

There is no defence for the 2 scumbags.

There are no excuses.

It should not have happened.

It should not be condoned or excused or downplayed in any way.

Ah, 'whataboutery', the catch all term for people to excuse whatever idiotic viewpoint they want to espouse.

Stop people from using prime examples of the shoe being on the other foot by dismissing it as 'whataboutery'.

Your argument is that you don't have any argument but the other person is wrong because they gave an example that isn't literally what happened in the news story being talked about.

Your post was rubbish and your 'what if' was in no way comparable to what happened. It wasn't worthy of any other response.

I'm going to go out and find everyone who is ok with what happened to this woman in this thread and expose their private bits to the world because apparently that's perfectly ok now.

HINT FOR IDIOTS: 'Private bits' means different things to different cultures.

To you and me and most western women, exposing the face is meaningless.

To a Muslim women wearing a hijab, exposing her head could be just as distressing as a western women having her breasts exposed.

Different cultures. We can't judge every person by our own cultural norms and standards.

anewme wrote: »
    This sums up my opinion.

There is no defence for the 2 scumbags.

There are no excuses.

It should not have happened.

It should not be condoned or excused or downplayed in any way.

But it is okay to overplay it by making it headline news?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Well,maybe it's not newsworthy.. but one poster said it's anti hate crime week,so maybe it's in context.
    There has always seemed to a large racist element in the u.k,and that seems to have escalated with the brexit decision.
    Horrible thing to happen.No one should be interfered with by strangers.equivalent to having a crucifix ripped from you because you are christian.

Oh yeah I agree what happened was absolutely dire and in a perfect world he'd get a slap from someone. I don't really think that is fair to suggest their is a large racist element in the UK however.

BNP were pretty much a fascist party and despite plenty of air time failed, UKIP have only one member of parliament, a libertarian who has relaxed views on immigration, how many times have Farage and Woofe failed now?

Their is definite a racist element like their is in nearly every European country, but compared to other countries in Europe its a bastion of tolerance. Marine Le Pen has a chance of becoming president in France ffs, Trump is Trump and have a look at what Hungary and Slovakia leaders have said about Islam, vile.

None of those sort of people would ever rise to power in the UK due to how the multiculturalism in the area.

I am loath to post a Daily Mail link here as well its the Mail, but Daniel Hannan one of the brightest sparks behind leave wrote a pretty good article on the supposed march towards fascism in the UK which notorious white supremist Sajid Javid who is one of the favs to be the next Tory leader even retweeted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3824396/How-dare-Eurocrats-call-Britain-racist-Far-Right-s-marching-backyard-writes-DANIEL-HANNAN.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Many of them questioning WHY it is considered newsworthy. Are we not allowed question it?

Course you're allowed. You're discussing it now aren't you? Don't try to play the victim card on me.

I'd consider lots of things not newsworthy, with the amount of clickbait out there these days. I think it's the whole Muslim thing that has a lot of people crying "not newsworthy" here, for whatever reason they have.

I'm going to go out and find everyone who is ok with what happened to this woman in this thread and expose their private bits to the world because apparently that's perfectly ok now.

HINT FOR IDIOTS: 'Private bits' means different things to different cultures.

For me it's not even about exposing anything.

It's about why someone would think its acceptable to put their hands on a stranger in any way shape or form.

Invading their personal space.

Bullies.

If a white English women was walking down a London street, and two men tried to remove her skirt, would people question if it was worthy of a BBC news article?

• Advertisement

To a Muslim women wearing a hijab, exposing her head could be just as distressing as a western women having her breasts exposed.

I don't believe this and the use of 'could be' is suspicious.

Course you're allowed. You're discussing it now aren't you? Don't try to play the victim card on me.

I'd consider lots of things not newsworthy, with the amount of clickbait out there these days. I think it's the whole Muslim thing that has a lot of people crying "not newsworthy" here, for whatever reason they have.

Thanks for allowing us to discuss it, I feel privileged.

But it is okay to overplay it by making it headline news?

As I said its not ok to MAKE ANY EXCUSES.

I don't care if it's headline news or a line in the Oldham Echo

The only blame here lies with the 2 yobs who assaulted a lady going about her business.

I can't believe we are having this debate. I mean, come on!

A woman was attacked in London. The BBC reported it because it has a remit to report news. Crime is news. Always has been.

What is the problem?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm absolutely astonished at the attitude of people in downplaying the seriousness of this attack. This wasn't just an attack on the lady's person, it was an attack on her beliefs.

Against her will and without her consent, parts of her body were exposed in public. How many of those downplaying the incident would be happy to have their body exposed involuntarily in public?

I'm not religious in any way, but am genuinely astounded, and pretty disturbed, to see the level of indifference to this attack in this thread.

I'm sure you contacted the UK authorities with your information in regards to the motivation of alleged attack ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What about whataboutery?

You really don't know what that means do you?

If a white English women was walking down a London street, and two men tried to remove her skirt, would people question if it was worthy of a BBC news article?

So we are back to the contrived sexualised comparisons?

What?

Please describe your knowledge or experience of the Muslim culture that has led you to not believe my assumption.

You're right, they just make sure to wear a hijab in public at all times for fun. You can whip the thing right off them and they'll have a great laugh with you about it.

Holy **** dude. Are you ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If this was a nun wearing a full habit, and they pulled the Coif off her head would the posters who think this isn't a big deal think the same about that?

Advertisement