Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Currently have 'Fibre Power 120 with Free Phone' and has been creeping up to the current amount of €52.66 a month

Was looking at switching to Vodafone for €30 a month (actually €29.51 when added to the basket) for 'Up to 100Mbps' & 'Unlimited landline calls'. So basically the same package but a saving of €277.80 for the year.

Never had any issues with Virgin so only looking to switch based on price for what would hopefully be the same level of broadband quality. I switch electricity and gas yearly but was reluctant to do the same with the broadband as I know it is not just changing who you are paying and the changeover and broadband speed can be a lottery.

This thread has been very useful, if I could get 9 months at the same price (€30) I would take that and they will probably also look to change my old plan to 250Mbps as well even though I don't really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone on 500mb with sports pass get better than 15 off for 9 months?

I would be a heavy user!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

mad m wrote: »
    Fitz,

I know you did leg work but can you PM me with figures of competitors you hit VM with when negotiating new deal.

Thanks

Sky is 50e a month for new customers, with Sky Sport half price at 20e a month, so 70e a month in total (840e for the year).
    One off payment of 50e for installation bringing the total to 890e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ba3

ring every year, initially got told off with 15e off 9 months , rang 061 number other day, got 6 months half price for bb+ phone , roughly matching sky offer for same service , not too much haggling tbh have seen much worse in previous years, happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

Tried several times to get better than 15 off for 9 months but no luck. Went with Vodafone in the end. Half the price and twice the speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

fungie wrote: »
    Tried several times to get better than 15 off for 9 months but no luck. Went with Vodafone in the end. Half the price and twice the speed!

Same, gona give a few days and ring back try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭coillcam

Has anyone received a soundbar from the Black Friday deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Anyone with a new cable modem/router (B2)- have you seen the connection drop every so often (say 2-3 times over the course of an 8 hour day)?
    Its playing havoc with a VPN link for work here........

I have been having this issue for the last week. Seems resolved today. I an on the Hub. The big white box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

coillcam wrote: »
    Has anyone received a soundbar from the Black Friday deals?

Yes. Arrived end of December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Is there an actual cancellation email address I can follow up on a phone call with?

Rang to cancel.

Explained it was because my laptop is no longer capable of receiving the speeds I was promised & that I'm paying for, 240 Mb.

Okay sir but we can increase that for you, we can put you on/up to 360 Mb.

Cos that'll make things better so now instead of only getting say, 30-40 Mbs out of 240 I'll now get 30-40 Mbs out of 360? Oh right.....

They said they'll give me 6 Months Half Price; sod that, sure that's 62.99/2 = €31.49.......for a service my device is not actually capable of receiving anyway!!

Is there specific number to ring to order Vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just rang to cancel my 250 mb service as I can get by on my mobile service.

The offered me 30 for 6 months and 60 for 6 months, but I said no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

boombang wrote: »
    Just rang to cancel my 250 mb service as I can get by on my mobile service.

The offered me 30 for 6 months and 60 for 6 months, but I said no thanks.

Is this the best anyone has got? I got offered the same and also cancelled with effect from 15 February but wouldn’t mind sticking with them if a better deal was on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Some people have got 9 months half price after a slog with them on the phone.
    Would have thought they should be making it easier and cheaper for all subscribers who ring up to complain/cancel due to Sky and Vodafone's current offerings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i rang and cancelled.

cancellation date is mid feb

will ring back for deals near months end as i do every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I rang yesterday, was out of contract about 4 weeks ago but just got around to it. No wait on the phone, just rang 1908 and followed the prompts to talk to cancellation. I chose switching to a different provider as the reason, got put right though.

The person I got was very friendly, I mentioned a couple of small issues and price as the main reason. First offer €10 off, then €15 for a few months.

I said Vodafone and eir are just €30 and I’m not using the full 240Mb with Virgin so no major difference going to 100Mb.

He went off to call somebody (probably because WFH) and came back and offered 6 months half price. I said if he could push to 9 half price I’d stay and avoid the hassle of switching and he said yeah he could do that.

I rang and cancelled last year and signed up under a different name to get a better offer. So this was technically my first year with Virgin. Got the new customer offer last year so happy to get the 9 months this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

My cancellation came through finally, might be back next year as a new customer. Slightly off topic, for those who have cancelled, I've to return the equipment but they haven't provided boxes. What do people normally do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

fungie wrote: »
    My cancellation came through finally, might be back next year as a new customer. Slightly off topic, for those who have cancelled, I've to return the equipment but they haven't provided boxes. What do people normally do?

I still have a box (HUB?) sitting here for over a year, they never picked it up. Going to chuck it out shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I rang them today to ''cancel''. I was out of contract last month. I'm on the 250mb plan which is €59.00 per month. I told them I need a good deal to stay with them as Eir and Vodafone are €30pm for 12 months. He talked about them not guaranteeing that speed malarkey. I said well I'll take my chances, so then he said the best he could do was half price for 6 months and full price for the remaining 6 months. I said if you can do 9 months half price I'll renew the contract today. He put me on hold to get authorisation and came back and agreed to that offer. So, 9 months half price and the remaining 3 months full price. It wasn't that hard to get it in the end so happy enough with that for another year anyway. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

Does anyone change the name on the account each year and enter as a new customer? Only downside I can see ids having to set up a new system each year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

am i better to wait till after my contact ends? (1st of feb)?
    currently on 250 plan with tv for 55, it's going up to 92 next month.

Called and got offered 74 for 9months (same package)
    or
    76 for 12 months with 240mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bosco26 wrote: »
    Does anyone change the name on the account each year and enter as a new customer? Only downside I can see ids having to set up a new system each year?

Thinking of doing this. Recently married so possible now to get it in the Mrs name. Mentioned it last year doing the phone cancel chat at person I spoke to said id lose service for 30 days even if at the same address as previous account.

Has anybody done this and did you lose service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

I could only get the 6 month half price offer. Rang twice this week but they wouldn't budge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

GBX wrote: »
    Thinking of doing this. Recently married so possible now to get it in the Mrs name. Mentioned it last year doing the phone cancel chat at person I spoke to said id lose service for 30 days even if at the same address as previous account.

They used to say 3 months break of service. I have no direct experience of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

or

Out of contract, you will be in a much better position to negotiate with them.
    Should be able to get 9 months half price going on other posters here but might be a slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've done this for the last two years. Gotten the 'new' customer rate under OH's name two years ago and then mine last year. No loss of service for any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Got the 9 months half price (€32.50) for broadband on the third attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've done this for the last two years. Gotten the 'new' customer rate under OH's name two years ago and then mine last year. No loss of service for any time.

Good to know Ben. Thanks I'll be ringing them on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭spuddy

Great to hear, pleasantly surprised to hear no loss of service. Did they send you a new router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭bmc58

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Out of contract, you will be in a much better position to negotiate with them.
    Should be able to get 9 months half price going on other posters here but might be a slog.

Have got this offer from VM for the past three years (due to loyalty) no problem.No name change needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thinking of doing this. Recently married so possible now to get it in the Mrs name.

Are you full of old fashioned principles that your missus didn’t live with you till you got married ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

spuddy wrote: »
    Great to hear, pleasantly surprised to hear no loss of service. Did they send you a new router?

Ya you get completely new equipment, which is ridiculous. Last year I had to bring the old stuff to the recycling centre as they didn't get it collected. Awful wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭smurfette2212

Called twice this weekend - first time was offered 6 months half price, and 9 months the second time. We are out of contract which may have helped. Nee customer deals elsewhere are cheaper for sure but I cannot face the hassle of changing (and potentially having to have a technician in to the house!) so staying put :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I was just offered 6 months at €44, remainder at €59, for 250Mb broadband only. I said not good enough and they just initiated my cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

I was just offered 6 months at €44, remainder at €59, for 250Mb broadband only. I said not good enough and they just initiated my cancellation.

That’s kind of insulting really, average €52 pm for broadband only, for an existing customer. I left them going on 2 years ago and got an offer through the door on Friday €55 pm, broadband and tv included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On 500mb phone and basic channels and was paying €60 for this as new customer. I was with them years and had loyalty but if you move houses this gets wiped that's what they told me even tried to argue this

Anyway contract up soon and it's gone up to €83 with 360 or & €80 keeping horizon.

Tried to get better and will try again next week

How does this compare so I can use it as comparison when ringing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mav11 wrote: »
    That’s kind of insulting really, average €52 pm for broadband only, for an existing customer. I left them going on 2 years ago and got an offer through the door on Friday €55 pm, broadband and tv included.

They are actually punishing long term customers for inertia of not moving. So they are encouraging people to leave. Unfortunately most people don't dont shop around and leave. So they are free to just keep increasing prices.

There are other companies with cheaper options and would clean up if they bothered to improve their customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

beauf wrote: »
    They are actually punishing long term customers for inertia of not moving. So they are encouraging people to leave. Unfortunately most people don't dont shop around and leave. So they are free to just keep increasing prices.

There are other companies with cheaper options and would clean up if they bothered to improve their customer support.

It's not just that, if you can't get Siro most every other BB provider is phone line based .....I personally wouldn't go back to landline BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

sonofenoch wrote: »

It's not just that, if you can't get Siro most every other BB provider is phone line based .....I personally wouldn't go back to landline BB

Neither would I.

• Advertisement

Been offered FTTC with Vodafone; VM offered me an upgrade to 250 Mb & then 500 Mb to try get me to stay; offered me 15 off for 6 months for 250 & offered me 35 for 6 or 9 months for 500......this was after I explained I couldn't get within an asses roar of the 240 Mb anyway......

So I've canceled; gone from VM after 11 years at start of March approx.

Will they still ring me back to offer me a discount?

VF said it'll be 15 days maximum so gonna leave off ordering til a fortnight from cut-off date for VM; have neighbours who'll let me tap into their VF if any gap in service anyway.

Just wondering how good VFs Fibre to the Cabinet is now; can't get their FTTH/Siro cos neighbours already have the line activated and only one line to my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seenn00J

I got a deal last week telling them I was cancelling - 44.50/month for 6 months then 89/month for the following 6 months for:
    250mb broadband, 50 tv channels and home phone. Still keeping the old box.
    Averages out around 67/month for the year.
    I think it's only 150 (max) to get out of the contract so it may be worth my while really cancelling after the 6 months half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I just copped I am now out of contract. Have the 500 meg internet with 100 channels tv and world phone. Two years ago, 9 months half price, 3 months full price. About 99 quid.

Last year 6 months half price, 6 month full price at 99 quid.

Just rang them now in Limerick. Bit of a delay but that is expected. Got a no nonsense lady and explained I ring every year, get a deal, sign again. Lets do it.

Upgraded to the beast deal, new 360 tv box (the horizon is crap), 1 gig BB, same 100 channels tv and same phone. 6 months half price, 6 months full price. Think the full price is 112 and half that about 56.

Not much arguing, just polite and to the point. Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Spoke to them today, explained Vodafone is €30pm for the same package, paying VM €52 at the moment, best they could do would average at €40pm for the year, said would sign up if it worked out at €35 but no budge. Told them will think about it, will ring again and if still no change will just cancel and switch to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mrperty2011

Rang last Friday morning ready for fight based on previous years. On €62 a year BB including landline. I just said too expensive and wanted to cancel. I called out other offers vodafone eir etc and got 6 months half price. They said usual won’t get same speed and those competitor offers only introductory. I then said not enough and they came back straight away with 9 months half price so signed there and then. Kept it all polite and civil. All of 5 - 10 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

got rid of tv and phone
    went broadband only and upped speed and bought two android sticks

71 per month for 500mb
    54 for 9months 71 for 3 months.

not much saving but i get a discount every year and its worth it at full in reality based on our usage / devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

A small update on my 9 months offer from Virgin Media.

I got 9 months contract half price off offer with a 12 months overall contract in December. And yet they still used some financial gymnastics and charged me €65 as per the old rate.

I'm going to ask for 10 months next time. And If they don't agree, they can take a hike!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

CyberGhost wrote: »
    A small update on my 9 months offer from Virgin Media.

I got 9 months contract in December. And yet they still used some financial gymnastics and charged me €65 as per the old rate.

I'm going to ask for 10 months next time. And If they don't agree, they can take a hike!

A slight correction there, you got a nine month offer on a 12 month contract, not a nine month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Aquos76 wrote: »
    A slight correction there, you got a nine month offer on a 12 month contract, not a nine month contract.

Thanks! Corrected.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

or

Called again, Got someone who really didnt want to give me a deal, I pushed for the 67 per month, they didnt want to entertain the idea, Canceled. Signed up under my partners name, got the €67 deal, and a 50 euro one4allvoucher :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm out of contract. Currently have 500Mb BB and World Talk unlimited. No TV package. Currently paying €67.49p/m. Bill in both names.

We use netflix and have amazon prime video. Tired of netflix selection, but don't watch a lot of tv. Maybe 3 movies a week. Kids watch an hour a day and not every day.

I'm looking at "The Big Bundle" and "The Bigger than Big Bundle". Like the idea of knowing the price is steady for the full 12 months and both packages cost me the same or less and they add TV. The TV pack is not very appealing if i'm honest, but it doesn't cost anymore than i'm currently paying for the same BB and phone pack. and is only €96 more for the year were I to get a deal on my current package where I would lose world calls (however rarely used)

Am I likely to get this deal by renewing my contract AND get the €50 voucher :p ?

Edit: At first they tried to sell me 1Gb increase for an extra €10 per month. I explained that would be pointless and I would be happy with 100Mb...that I wanted a lower price. Was offered 3 months half price and I got 6 months half price on my existing deal after a bit of chatting. Happy with that.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
Advertisement