Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

4real wrote: »
    it was and still is 30 day contract, you dont even have to give notice, just cancel the sim or port to another network.

Not if you took a handset from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Virgin media offered me 49.5 for 6 months and 79 for 6 months (works out as 64.25 per month for 12 months) for their tv, broadband and phone (don't use it) package through the loyalty team chat.

Will I have to pay 3.50 on top of this due to removal of self service discount?

Do you reckon it's possible to get a better deal? I mentioned eir, vodafone etc but they weren't budging. would calling help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 surfturf

4real wrote: »
    How do you know that you cannot switch back to the same virgin network, did you try this yourself or were you told by VM that it cannot be done?

We moved 4 phones over when the e5 for 5 months first launched. After moving away after the offer I phoned to get a better renewal for TV, BB, phone and was told mobile specials are only offered once per lifetime so its a one and done per number. If your thinking of porting over checkout if they are still having issues with certain SMS messages not being received from banks and others. Checkout the boards post on it over on talk to virgin. Outside of that issue the service was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Has anyone successfully managed to get the 9 months for 3 years in a row now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭baldbear

The whole jumping through hoops is a joke.
    "It will be €59 monthly if we'll cancel your TV service.
    If you're not watching a lot of television channels, we can switch you to 15 channels only and keep same broadband bundle. The price will be €59 for 3 months, €74 after. This will be on a 12 month contract."

The naked broadband offer they have is currently better than the offer they have just made me. 44 X 6 & 54 X 6 = 588.

I queried about this offer & was told I'd have to pay a €30 activation fee for this & would get the price at €54 X 12 = €648 + 30 fee.

So I got an offer of €678 total.

People here are getting half price offers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I cancelled all they would offer me was €10 off tv, B.B. and phone. Or full price B.B. and phone.

Sky €49 tv and B.B. seems to be gone? Can’t find it on their site :(

Eir have 18 month contract €50 x 12 and €91 x 6 for tv, B.B. and phone. You get a free tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Has anyone successfully managed to get the 9 months for 3 years in a row now?

I have .Last year I got it fairly easily like most with a bit of negotiation this year I cancelled when offered 3mths .Chased it up to make sure it had gone though and got a call a few days after .He offered 9 then went and came back with so 6 mths will take effect I said no it was 9.He said he couldn’t I said ok thanks goodbye and he rang back few mins later offering 9mths (I’m on 240 with phone which don’t use)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭baldbear

shardylan wrote: »
    I have .Last year I got it fairly easily like most with a bit of negotiation this year I cancelled when offered 3mths .Chased it up to make sure it had gone though and got a call a few days after .He offered 9 then went and came back with so 6 mths will take effect I said no it was 9.He said he couldn’t I said ok thanks goodbye and he rang back few mins later offering 9mths (I’m on 240 with phone which don’t use)

I cancelled after I got a poor offer IMO. Do you mind me asking What are you paying now?

I'll ring back in a week or so or wait for them to ring?

I see the price you got from previous. Good deal. over €200 better than what I was offered.

baldbear wrote: »
    I cancelled after I got a poor offer IMO. Do you mind me asking What are you paying now?

I'll ring back in a week or so or wait for them to ring?

I see the price you got from previous. Good deal. over €200 better than what I was offered.
    Was paying €51 with extra charges it will be €56 .He did try tell me I’d be paying €29.50 but I corrected him saying even with increase that wouldn’t be right .They chance their arm a bit

Was paying €51 with extra charges it will be €56 .He did try tell me I’d be paying €29.50 but I corrected him saying even with increase that wouldn’t be right .They chance their arm a bit

Just to say any offer you do get take a ref Num .As I have said I was given 9 mths after a call on Saturday but have asked for an email confirmation and they said they couldn’t find any record of the call . They are now refusing 9 months and have offered me 6 nstead which I refused .My original date for cancellation was the 10Th Dec and he tried to tell me it was finished on the 22nd if I proceeded .Really fed up with this company so told them to take the cancellation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

Quick question, should the deduction/ discount show up on the letter they send you after changing your contract ?
    Mine is only showing a 12 month contract at €94.

Got 9 months half price for TV+BB+Phone (never use the phone but it wasn't cheaper to take it out). Only took about 30 min so well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Ok thanks for that. I got 9 months for last two years also on the 240 max TV anytime phone. They repeatedly said no one has got 3 years and it can't be done as the system won't allow it. The best I was offered was 6 months so I cancelled. I'll leave it a few days and try again so.

Ok thanks for that. I got 9 months for last two years also on the 240 max TV anytime phone. They repeatedly said no one has got 3 years and it can't be done as the system won't allow it. The best I was offered was 6 months so I cancelled. I'll leave it a few days and try again so.

Read up to my last post . Be very careful with them

Quick update.
    I spoke with reps on twitter yesterday about getting deal and asked for email confirmation to be told they couldn’t find but will get someone to ring me but my network was down so couldn’t get me .
    Rang 1908 myself and got rudest guy who told me it was my word against theirs as there was no record of me getting a call . offers me 6mths I refused .
    Hour ago I got a call from a lovely lady who said she was trying me yesterday after twitter team had contacted her and even though she couldn’t find the details of the call because I had a screenshot of received calls I had sent to them on twitter she would give me agreed deal of 9 months and totally apologised .
    Just got the deal through email .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Got 50% deal for 6 months via chat I pushed and pushed but couldn't get her to budge beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Have 240mb broadband and phone package(which I don't use), currently pay 50e a month.

Contacted them on chat, best they offered was 15e off for 6 months so told them to go ahead and cancel and just got the cancellation email. Was at very least expecting 6 months half price offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Rang the loyalty department there. Was on 90 euro a month for tv, broadband and phone. Managed to get 49.50 for six months then 79 for 6 months with sky sports for 6 months for 1 euro (which I will cancel after 6 months).

Comes to 64.75 per month (averaged) for the year. I couldn't get 9 months half price but I think I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Think it's important to note that Eir works out cheaper than any Virgin offering right now. They have 35 for 6 months and then 6 months for 40. Which is the first time I can ever remember them offering cheaper broadband. I always found the way they advertised their broadband to be a bit scummy, 6 months at xx amount, then pay double this, and the contract is 18 months long. So you have at least 12 months at max price. They now do 12 month contracts with 12 month offers which is so much better.

I've been with Virgin/UPC for 9 years now. But if they can't get close to Eir on price I would jump ship. And there's Vodafone/Smart and a few others as well.

Virgins cheapest broadband being 59 now is getting quite saucy. I don't want to do a 'back in my day' speech, but I remember paying 23 per month full price with them. It's approaching a trebling in price in less than a decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Fourth time renewing in a similar fashion with UPC/Virgin. Normally with some neogiotation eventually will end up getting 6-9 months half price, but best I got offered was 3 months. Eir Working out much cheaper, but the hassle of a changover will be frustrating. There reason they only gave 3 months was the fact we'd had two previous back to back discounts. Going to ring again tomorrow to formally "Cancel", and see what is presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

In laws have basic tv box plus multiroom with the removal of the self service discount was going up to €31 pm from €27.50 - got the email and rang loyalty and got offered s new 12 month deal at €25 pm - which I took

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi still no joy I tried to web chat again wasn't offered anything just told to contact loyalty team , I can't seem to get through to the 061 number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi still no joy I tried to web chat again wasn't offered anything just told to contact loyalty team , I can't seem to get through to the 061 number
    I rang last night at 6.50 and got in the q - and was answered by 7

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

On chat now. So far I've been offered €10 off for 3 months or €5 off for 6 months. How far do I keep saying no?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Took 6 months half price on my second phone call. Had my homework done for Eir, and was adament that I was changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

On 360mb broadband + world phone, which I use alot, just got 9 months half price + a very nice lady reduced my bill by €2 after the 9 months. Gave them the usual speal, took the phone app away, which I miss, also mentioned eir bundle at €35. She jumped on this straight away telling me it suffers from congestion problems at peak times etc; told her i was willing to take the chance at nearly half the price... HEWT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

On chat now. So far I've been offered €10 off for 3 months or €5 off for 6 months. How far do I keep saying no?

Tell them to go ahead and cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jca wrote: »
    Tell them to go ahead and cancel.

I only got a deal last time on the 30th of my cancellation period. I wasn't expecting a deal and had made organised to cut the cable and go with streaming services only. I'd had enough of the older horizon box. It was utter rubbish. The newer one still has its problems, but its a lot better than the old one. I may quite it completely this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Think it's important to note that Eir works out cheaper than any Virgin offering right now. They have 35 for 6 months and then 6 months for 40.

Any you get €50 cash back ;)
    Free installation too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got offered 6 months half price on chat there. I still went ahead with cancelling she said they could do no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Think it's important to note that Eir works out cheaper than any Virgin offering right now. They have 35 for 6 months and then 6 months for 40. Which is the first time I can ever remember them offering cheaper broadband. I always found the way they advertised their broadband to be a bit scummy, 6 months at xx amount, then pay double this, and the contract is 18 months long. So you have at least 12 months at max price. They now do 12 month contracts with 12 month offers which is so much better.

I've been with Virgin/UPC for 9 years now. But if they can't get close to Eir on price I would jump ship. And there's Vodafone/Smart and a few others as well.

Virgins cheapest broadband being 59 now is getting quite saucy. I don't want to do a 'back in my day' speech, but I remember paying 23 per month full price with them. It's approaching a trebling in price in less than a decade!

I've made the jump... was with VirginMedia years too. My install is next week (fibre). Have no idea where/how they will get the Eir into the house, does anybody know?.. same route as VirginMedia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I chated with a nice lady on Eir to check what they can offer and I have to say they have a very good deal at the moment which is the one most people mentioned here:

She said:

What I will offer you today is Super fast unlimited fibre enabled broadband and "Eir talk Unlimited mobile and UK" where you will get unlimited landline and mobile calls to Ireland and UK. Also you will get free eir sports with 7 Channels.

Price for this bundle will be € 35 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 40 per month if you sign up today. Contract period will be 12 months.

Free offers with the plan : You will get free eir sports with 7 Channels(if you wish you can download our app and watch), FREE superior WiFi Modem, FREE Parental controls, eir StudyHub - quality tutorials for secondary level students and Free Installation.

+ €50 cash back :)

So this would come out to 400E for the year. She checked my address and said I would get up-to 90Mbits at my address. She also confirmed that I could cancel within the 14 day cool-off period if I am not satisfied with the speeds etc.

I chated with UPC afterwards and they transferred me to the loyalty department. They first offered 15E off for 3month on a new 12month contract and I said no and I would have went with the Eir offer as that would still be 50% cheaper.

They checked with the Supervisor and offered the 6month half price which comes up as 489E for the year instead of 400E for Eir but I know Virgin is very reliable so I took that.

Any deal worse than this I probably would have cancelled and went with Eir especially as I have no real use for 240Mbit at all at the moment. I don't share my connection and I am patient enough to wait a bit longer before a download has finished.

I guess we will see what December 2018 brings when Virgin announces their next price hike.

I would definitely say the Eir deal is quite good (at least on paper). I even asked if I pay extra for installation if I don't have a phone line and she said no it's all included.

Advertisement