Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French bus driver slaps teenager for disrespect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Posters saying their parents gave them a slap and it never did them any harm - were you ever physically 'disciplined' by a complete stranger in front of all your friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,094 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Posters saying their parents gave them a slap and it never did them any harm - were you ever physically 'disciplined' by a complete stranger in front of all your friends?
    I would know better than to run in front of a bus and give cheek to the driver .

On paper (or the internet these days), the driver was way out of line, but that’s not real life.

Guaranteed those lads were all showing off, darting across in front of buses on a daily basis.

Nobody else can do anything to stop or punish them, they won’t dare. People won’t do anything. What option do they have when it’s a bunch of cocky little ****s like that?

Discipline instilled in the family home and at school is a thing of the past.

He’s probably put up with it for ages close to schools, trying to ignore it and and reached a point where he had to do something before a kid ends up under his bus.

In the real world, he did everyone a favour by giving the little bastard a slap. WTF else do you suggest he should do? Give them a time-out on the naughty step? Call the police and expect the little bastards to wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

No, because I never created a situation where that was necessary.

Probably because my parents had taught me, through disciplining which was on the rare occasion physical, not to act the little bollox in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And may I ask how you would discipline your son ?

I use several tactics when disciplining my children depending on the circumstances...... using physical violence towards my children as a way of "teaching" them right from wrong has never even occurred to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

JayZeus wrote:
    Guaranteed those lads were all showing off, darting across in front of buses on a daily basis.
    You don't know

JayZeus wrote:
    He’s probably put up with it for ages close to schools, trying to ignore it and and reached a point where he had to do something before a kid ends up under his bus.

Again you don't know
    JayZeus wrote:
    In the real world, he did everyone a favour by giving the little bastard a slap. WTF else do you suggest he should do? Give them a time-out on the naughty step? Call the police and expect the little bastards to wait?
    Now they are b*stards. Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's sad how little understanding people have of what psychological effect physical abuse can have, especially on kids. "Sure it never did me any harm" isn't an excuse, people are different, they react differently to things.

Wasn't there a book written about something like this?

And 99% will react along the lines of "Whoops....I won't be doing that again..." Lesson learned.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Love this chestnut, always repeated by those that think it's ok to assualt a child. 'Done me no harm' what utter bs.

It's far from BS. I'm not claiming that it's ok to slap a child but there are times when discipline is badly needed before it gets too late. "Done me no harm " either and I got a few slaps in my day but it wasn't the slap that kept me in line it was the fear of getting another one !!

On a broader scale the so called 'softly' approach has spread into society via the Section 4 Public Order act. When I was younger (mid 70's to 80s') a guard would give you a boot up the hole or a clip around the ear to sort out any small problems on the street. Between that and the fear that he'd 'bring us home' (where we'd get another clatter) it was enough to keep us in line. Nowadays the cop can't do that and has to put everything on paper, starting with Juvenile Liaison and, if they're older, going straight to court for what are minor misdemeanours. They're then 'in the system' and most of them very quickly lose all respect for Gardaí and the courts. The hands of the Gardaí are tied - they know the young fella needs a slap but can't do so for fear of being sacked or sued yet if they put it on paper they're over-reacting. It's ended up that the kids have all the power thanks to the PC and softly softly approach. That can't be right...

Yes. By a truck driver after a group of us as 11-12 year olds waiting at the bus stop threw small milk cartons as he drove past. He managed to catch one of us by the straps on the schoolbag and wouldn’t let go until one of us kicked him in the shins. We had close calls with a van driver who gave chase another time and regularly taunted bus drivers. If any of them got a hold of us, it would have been well deserved. The last thing you’d do is give cheek back and if you did, you’d expect a smack on the back of your legs or a box in the ear.

Today, there are no consequences. None. Except for the poor fecker trying to drive a bus and not kill children with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I've never hit my kids and would in general be against corporal punishment but I'd make an exception in this case ! Crazy that driver should loose job let alone be charged although disciplinary action of some sort would be justified . If there's an iota of decency in his parent/s this may have been the perfect reaction to the situation albeit risky , driver could have been stabbed . Hopefully boy and his parent/s will be shamed into copping on .Although likely they will sue and get a huge pay out .
    To the 'won't somebody think of the children !?' Posse : the youth is rocking his head back and forward yelling 'hahaha' to the driver .Notable also that his peers including many girls are still laughing and squealing disrespectfully after he is hit .Those kids aren't in the slightest traumatised by this , not least because it was a slap not a blow ( flat hand clearly visible) .

nullzero wrote: »
    You're espousing a non violent approach from the bus driver whilst also saying you'd kick him to death...

We all have to learn lessons whilst you continue on your trajectory of cognitive dissonance.

I have a vicious temper and am prone to violence which is something I've struggled with for my entire adult life and have thankfully managed to get under control for the most part in recent years...... but the thought of ever using violence against a child, or anyone vulnerable, never ever appeared on my radar.

If you're asking me to justify causing serious harm to an adult for assaulting one of my children, or any child for that matter, I don't feel the need..... and I make no apologies for that stance neither.

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I have a vicious temper and am prone to violence which is something I've struggled with for my entire adult life and have thankfully managed to get under control for the most part in recent years...... but the thought of ever using violence against a child, or anyone vulnerable, never ever appeared on my radar.

If you're asking me to justify causing serious harm to an adult for assaulting one of my children, or any child for that matter, I don't feel the need..... and I make no apologies for that stance neither.
    Once again , how would you discipline the boy if he was your son ? Or would you be too busy kicking the driver to death ?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You don't know

Again you don't know

Now they are b*stards. Classy.

Nah, I know alright. It doesn’t take footage preceding the slap (although I’m sure the union will present plenty in defense of the driver, just wait and see) or transcripts of witness statements and court testimony to know how things like this go. I have been one of those kids. We were right little bastards when showing off at a bus stop, nothing like the way we were in the classroom or at home.

But fire away with the pedantry and the sensitive outrage and the cries of assault and whatever you want. The driver disciplined a kid who’s old enough to know better and dumb enough to give cheek and not apologise. I’m a believer in the concept that it takes a village to raise a child. This man did what the village wouldn’t.

JayZeus wrote: »
    On paper (or the internet these days), the driver was way out of line, but that’s not real life.

Nobody else can do anything to stop or punish them, they won’t dare. People won’t do anything. What option do they have when it’s a bunch of cocky little ****s like that?

Discipline instilled in the family home and at school is a thing of the past.

In the real world he'll probably lose his job and possibly face criminal charges for assaulting a minor...... if anybody will learn a lesson from this incident it'll be the ex-bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I wonder how many whip lash cases the company will face after the driver jammed on?

Would a little bump have thought the kid a valuable lesson?

In the real world he'll probably lose his job and possibly face criminal charges for assaulting a minor...... if anybody will learn a lesson from this incident it'll be the ex-bus driver.

And the child will learn nothing . What a real shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The bus driver was obviously just challenging the young fella to a duel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If he were my son he would get another clatter from me .

If your son was acting like that then he's the one you should be clattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭ForestFire

This is the same bus driver that has just saved your child's life by his quick reactions, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Meh, the average Frenchman will slap you for a lot less. A testy bunch of people.

I don’t see it happening. There’s an awful lot of public and union support for the driver. A suspension, a fine and a change of route is more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

There's two sides to stories like this. Part of me thinks young people are tossers that aren't taught respect by their parents or teachers. Part of me thinks the bus driver is a dick who assaults a minor over next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

nullzero wrote: »
    You're espousing a non violent approach from the bus driver whilst also saying you'd kick him to death...

We all have to learn lessons whilst you continue on your trajectory of cognitive dissonance.

(Guessing) the poster meant they would only dispense violence - to meet violence (by adult on a child). Which is fair and reasonable. Obvs the rest is likely an exaggeration as to the actual level of reaction.

As the title indicates this is 'violence' as a response to 'disprect'.
    - Or more likely 'teenage bravado' under the guise of peer pressure and too many cans of energy drink.

It's a pity this 'brave' bus driver wasn't around the other month when a lady was whacked by a bloke at a cafe, after she told him off for wolf-whistling at her. The rest of the cafe sat on their hands. Chances are he wouldn't.

And if the driver had tried this later in the day, in a worse surburb (or city), he may not have even made it back to his bus. Wouldn't be so clever then.

The appropriate response here would have been to simply embarass the teenager by shouting at him, beeping the horn, contacting his school (if in uniform) or uploading footage to social media if legal to do so, in that jurisdiction.

Instead the bus driver has jusy likely whacked away his job/career in public service.

If your son was acting like that then he's the one you should be clattering.

Thats what I said ? If my son did what that lad did he would get another clatter from me .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

would he have preferred a slap with the bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

This is what happens when you import the third world into a first world country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

there appeared to be an awful lot of children in that video without manners, and some tried to provoke an even greater reaction after the slap. The school and parents need to crack down, but suspect most parents' won't care. The bus driver is wrong here but if this was my son, he would be writing an apology and a thank you to the bus driver first and I would not take it further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

JayZeus wrote:
    Nah, I know alright. It doesn’t take footage preceding the slap (although I’m sure the union will present plenty in defense of the driver, just wait and see) or transcripts of witness statements and court testimony to know how things like this go. I have been one of those kids. We were right little bastards when showing off at a bus stop, nothing like the way we were in the classroom or at home.

Theres no way you know unless that bus driver is a personal friend of yours and advises you of his work experiences. Union can present what they like. The court will only ( if it gets that far) deal with the incident of assualt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

(Guessing) the poster meant they would only dispense violence - to meet violence (by adult on a child). Which is fair and reasonable. Obvs the rest is likely an exaggeration as to the actual level of reaction.

As the title indicates this is 'violence' as a response to 'disprect'.
    - Or more likely 'teenage bravado' under the guise of peer pressure and too many cans of energy drink.

It's a pity this 'brave' bus driver wasn't around the other month when a lady was whacked by a bloke at a cafe, after she told him off for wolf-whistling at her. The rest of the cafe sat on their hands. Chances are he wouldn't.

And if the driver had tried this later in the day, in a worse surburb (or city), he may not have even made it back to his bus. Wouldn't be so clever then.

The appropriate response here would have been to simply embarass the teenager by shouting at him, beeping the horn, contacting his school (if in uniform) or uploading footage to social media if legal to do so, in that jurisdiction.

Instead the bus driver has jusy likely whacked away his job/career in public service.

So you are saying that the appropriate response is to give the little prick what he wants, a reaction.

Which will embolden him to do it again and again as long as he keeps getting a reaction. Idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don’t condone hitting a child or anyone for that matter. But civil disobedience is at all time high, in western countries.

As populations grow, and cities get more crowded, kids are getting out of control. We need to have a zero tolerance approach to this. The likes of kids running in traffic and being disrespectful to all around them. Gathering in large crowds and being roundly must come to a stop.

We need to take a leaf of Singapore and punish these kids for the smallest infraction. Of course in Singapore respect is taught at home , and at school. Something that we in the West as a society, have totally given up on.

Too often now teachers will tell you it’s not there place to teach respect to kids, and parents don’t have the time or inclination.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Stephen15 wrote: »
    This is what happens when you import the third world into a first world country

Gobsh*te

Advertisement